ImageImage

Camby to Clips

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

mofobmo31
Ballboy
And1: 0

Camby to Clips 

Post#1 » by mofobmo31 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:41 am

Marcus Camby has been traded from Denver to the LA Clips for just a 2nd round pick. Denver did it for cap reasons. He would have been a nice player to have in Milwaukee. Heres the link to the trade. http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3491156
WRau1
RealGM
And1: 5,144

Re: Camby to Clips 

Post#2 » by WRau1 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:43 am

Looks like LAC is going to have a pretty good defensive front line. Baron can take as many shots as he wants now.
#FreeChuckDiesel
#FreeNowak008
#FreeNewz
More Bang For The Bucks
Starter
And1: 0

Post#3 » by More Bang For The Bucks » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:01 am

I thought Camby could have brought more in return from a contending team? K Mart and Nene must be untradeable. Maybe they resign JR Smith or they desperately need guards. As of now looks like the Clippers are a playoff team and the Nuggets aren't.
by LUKE23 on Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:38 am
I certainly wouldn't be dancing in the streets or bestowing a bunch of praise on Hammond though.
It's like taking three huge dumps on your kitchen floor, then cleaning up one of them.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,173
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#4 » by Kerb Hohl » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:02 am

Damn, now there is something you can do with cap space.

If you're nearing the league minimum, basically take very good players away from cap-strapped team basically for free.
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,337

Post#5 » by crkone » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:07 am

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=825653&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

:lol:

Aren't the Nugs still over the cap. They still got some work to do.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
Max Green
RealGM
And1: 4,670

Post#6 » by Max Green » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:08 am

Wow, all it took was a 2nd round pick?? I wish Larry Harris wouldn't have screwed upall of our cap room last year.
Vice President of Parker-Nation.
#Jabariunleashed
#OwnTheFuture
:wizard: Maxtradamus
NeedsMoreCheese
RealGM
And1: 8,369

Post#7 » by NeedsMoreCheese » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:09 am

Wow. I know Denver doesnt want to be in lux tax territory, but a future 2nd rounder?? There has to be more added to this than that.
MetroDrugUnit
Sixth Man
And1: 46

Post#8 » by MetroDrugUnit » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:14 am

Thats worse then the Pau Gasol Trade "Give Away". I guess people are feeling petty bad for the Clippers with the whole Brand thing, well, what about us? We definatly have a team and a recent history that requires some sympathy.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,222

Post#9 » by paulpressey25 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:15 am

I'm stunned at this one. I would have given them Dez and our future 1st.

But one thing you guys might not be seeing here is the banking situation. I don't want this thread to go political, but the U.S. financial system is unraveling the past few days. This is a serious meltdown that could have some massive reprecussions for all of us. We do not know what type of pressure the Nuggets owner is under nor what type of terms he might have on financing for his team or payroll.

It is entirely possible that the events the last week have materially changed the financial complexion of the Nuggets ownership and capital structure and they are not able to afford essentially a $16 million a year player (2x with the luxury tax). My guess is Denver got desperate here financially behind the scenes.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
GHOSTofSIKMA
RealGM
And1: 8,105

Post#10 » by GHOSTofSIKMA » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:17 am

crkone wrote:http://www.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=825653&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

:lol:

Aren't the Nugs still over the cap. They still got some work to do.

go look at my thread dimwit.... it was posted 2 minutes before this one. after trying to make me look like an ass over there, you then come here and link back, trying to mock me?

unless your part of the old boys club around here this forum is pure garbage for the part time poster. too bad really. still a great place for information. i'll give it that. just not very friendly.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,222

Post#11 » by paulpressey25 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:25 am

GOS, I saw this one first...my apologies...but then I tried to "merge" them and that failed.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
NeedsMoreCheese
RealGM

Post#12 » by NeedsMoreCheese » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:34 am

paulpressey25 wrote:I'm stunned at this one. I would have given them Dez and our future 1st.

But one thing you guys might not be seeing here is the banking situation. I don't want this thread to go political, but the U.S. financial system is unraveling the past few days. This is a serious meltdown that could have some massive reprecussions for all of us. We do not know what type of pressure the Nuggets owner is under nor what type of terms he might have on financing for his team or payroll.

It is entirely possible that the events the last week have materially changed the financial complexion of the Nuggets ownership and capital structure and they are not able to afford essentially a $16 million a year player (2x with the luxury tax). My guess is Denver got desperate here financially behind the scenes.

I dont think so PP. The Nuggets have been trying to avoid the lux tax for years. Its more likely theyre frustrated their core isnt taking them out of the first round, so they dont want to pay that much above the lux tax for something that clearly isnt working.
Maybe they have another move planned and want more flexibility near it? (I dont think so but just throwing it out there)
GHOSTofSIKMA
RealGM
And1: 8,105

Post#13 » by GHOSTofSIKMA » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:36 am

paulpressey25 wrote:GOS, I saw this one first...my apologies...but then I tried to "merge" them and that failed.

no apology necessary from you. this one had a link, thats probably why i beat him:) it just seemed silly that I was the butt of his joke for starting a thread.

i think camby and kamen might actually be a nice tandem for them with baron out top. if gordon plays well, they could make some noise. But i still think it was a poor choice. im interested to see what the nuggets fans think of the deal.

as far as the nuggets being financially unstable.... espn makes the statement that the trade was made to further facilitate other deals.... that could mean using the mle or even dumping more contracts. it'll be interesting to see where the nugs go from here. it may just be addition by subtraction though, i recall nuggets fans not being as high on camby as one would believe.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,120

Post#14 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:39 am

After this offseason I don't ever again want to be told that cap space and/or large expiring contracts are useless in Milwaukee.
NeedsMoreCheese
RealGM

Post#15 » by NeedsMoreCheese » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:50 am

What I'd try to do is offer up Gadz, Mason, & CV for KMart. With the idea being that Mason and CV are both expirings and can provide them good depth. Gadz and KMart both have 3 years remaining on their deals but KMart is getting twice as much.

For us it would nicely fill that PF spot, KMart and RJ have already played well together back in Jersey, plus Gadz is too overpaid to be a backup (but his skillset dictates thats what he is). The risks of course being that KMart has an injury history, and at times is temperamental. Martin is still a pretty good defender at this point though.

It doesnt help their cap this year but they'll be in much better shape next summer. (AI becomes a FA then too, so theyll have plenty of options on what to do)
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,851

Post#16 » by emunney » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:50 am

I'm trying to decide what the craziest aspect of this thread is. I guess it's the Camby trade... but not by a lot.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
cam2win
Veteran
And1: 7

Post#17 » by cam2win » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:51 am

I really wanted to make a sarcastic comment about Camby playing to much defense for Karl so he was dealt, but it looks like it was for cap reasons. What a rediculous trade, I'd hate to be a Nugs fan tonight.
andonewheel
Rookie
And1: 16

Post#18 » by andonewheel » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:56 am

Wow, the NBA is crazy. I don't know how anyone can predict a trade in the future when this kind of deal can go down. Denver is desperate, yikes. I can't imagine a worse feeling as a fan than when the team's owner makes a move which leaves the team clearly worse solely for monetary reasons. Poor Denver and Phoenix fans.

Seriously, this deal is so bad I expect the 2nd round pick to be top-40 protected.
Jez2983
RealGM
And1: 7,955

Post#19 » by Jez2983 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:29 am

Good work from the clips, they have truly had a crazy off-season. I wonder if this makes us more likely to take a run at one of the other RFA's in a S&T as not many teams have cap space left now (Is that right???).

How 'bout we revive Redd for Melo?!?

If I were a clips fan, I'd be entirely worried at Camby and Baron only playing 30 games together all season.
trwi7 wrote:Will be practicing my best Australian accent for tomorrow.

"Hey ya wankers. I graduated from Aranmore back in 2010 and lost me yearbook. Is there any way you didgeridoos can send anotha yearbook me way?"
WEFFPIM
RealGM
And1: 473

Post#20 » by WEFFPIM » Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:37 am

If any team needed to make this move, it was the Clippers.
ReddWing wrote:Being a fan of this team is tantamount to being in hell...There is no Christ that is coming to save us. Even if there was, we'd trade him for a 28 year old wing.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks