ImageImage

2008-2009 Season Optimism

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

rojrenude
Ballboy
And1: 0

2008-2009 Season Optimism 

Post#1 » by rojrenude » Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:02 pm

I thought there already was a tread titled Optimism, but I can't find one, I hope I'm not out of line.
Borrowed from the game thread, thanks rrravenred:

“More broadly, I'm actually cautiously optimistic about this campaign …”

Most precisely, I am rashly optimistic about this campaign.

I’m optimistic we have a great coach, one with a track record. Though I grew to hate Karl, he did add fan optimism to his arrival. The yearly uncertainties with Porter, Stotts, and Larry usurped optimism, though I grew to love them all.

I’m optimistic we have a great manager, one the Bucks should have striven for as some (not all) of prior deals must have been sour. Reading around the board, it seems everyone would trade all of our back-up bigs, we can now through in Croshere, to get Pachulia back. Most would trade three to get Pryzbilla back. And many would trade two to get, provided we could find the right buffet table, Robert the Tractor Traylor back.

I’m optimistic we had a great draft. We always draft good; a few unfortunate first round selections have kept us from being great. This year we got it right, had to, it’s the law of averages. We drafted a white boy who can jump and royalty in the second round. We own the second round. No doubt you’ll correct me if I’m wrong but can we not field a team of just Buck second round selections, Sessions, Bell, Redd, Mbah, and Gadzuric. When Ersan comes back, we can add a sixth man. Incredible.

I’m optimistic we have a great team, I kind of like the previous line-up and four starters aren’t even on it. I told my Seattle based relative that Ridnour was going to have a resurgence in Milwaukee this year. He said that’s impossible, he hasn’t had a surgence yet. Bah. Bogut is a beast and getting beastlier; love the beard. Villanueva is a must love, love the looks, the smile, the headband, the slippery inside game, the nose for offensive glass, and he’s a gun slinger to boot. I’m hoping to love Jefferson. You’d think you might now finally be able to find a Bucks cap at the sport’s apparel store in Tucson. You’d be wrong. I walked into one:
Got a Milwaukee Buck’s cap?
No, unless by special order, we don’t carry soccer gear.
:roll: Thanks, guess I’ll see if they got one left at the Chinese Food Market. You know, Richard Jefferson is going to have a monster NBA season this year.
Huh, ah, yeah, good, but I’m more of a Miles Simon fan.
:roll:
I’m throwing money into a jar for a red Redd jersey. That item is as hot, hot, hot as Redd himself. If the jar is full before the Phoenix away game, look for the jersey in the stands. Great starters, great bench.

Great season,
great optimism.
Go Bucks!
aaprigs311
Assistant Coach
And1: 3

Re: 2008-2009 Season Optimism 

Post#2 » by aaprigs311 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:27 pm

I wouldn't invest in a Redd jersey if I were you...
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,152

Post#3 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:47 pm

In SI.com's predictions section, one of their writers gives Bucks fans a reason to be optimistic. That is, until you get to the final few words

Chris Mannix wrote:Mannix: Bucks. New general manager John Hammond has done a masterful job reshaping a mediocre roster in just one offseason. With Richard Jefferson on board to ease Michael Redd's scoring load, and pass-first point guard Luke Ridnour stepping in for Mo Williams, the Bucks will contend for a playoff spot.

That's great. We reshaped the roster, are relying on guys that are in their prime, and all we can hope for according to Mannix is to contend for a playoff spot. Super.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,418

Post#4 » by trwi7 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:08 pm

rojrenude wrote:I’m optimistic we had a great draft. We always draft good; a few unfortunate first round selections have kept us from being great. This year we got it right, had to, it’s the law of averages.

Classic. :rofl:
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
lawrybeard
Analyst
And1: 165

Post#5 » by lawrybeard » Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:30 pm

Buck You
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 541

Post#6 » by Buck You » Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:32 pm

I'm always optimistic about this team. That is until reality comes crashing down on me like a pile of bricks mid-way through the season.
trwi7
RealGM

Post#7 » by trwi7 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:33 pm

lawrybeard wrote:Did someone say optimism?:

http://www.sltrib.com/sports/ci_10838477

Wow. Folks, now we know why St. Louis doesn't have an NBA team.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,152

Post#8 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:37 pm

trwi7 wrote:

Then what's Salt Lake City's excuse?
WEFFPIM
RealGM
And1: 473

Post#9 » by WEFFPIM » Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:39 pm

trwi7 wrote:

Do they celebrate Kwanza in St. Louis?

Way to go, twirly, you had yourself a Samsquatch moment
ReddWing wrote:Being a fan of this team is tantamount to being in hell...There is no Christ that is coming to save us. Even if there was, we'd trade him for a 28 year old wing.
trwi7
RealGM

Post#10 » by trwi7 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:41 pm

I'm apparently dyslexic as I read slt as stl. :lol:

Basti
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,709

Post#11 » by Basti » Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:14 am

whait, there is optimism on the bucks board? no wai

/green font
worthlessBucks
RealGM
And1: 4,833

Post#12 » by worthlessBucks » Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:23 am

Words don't do that Salt Lake article justice and the Milwaukee stuff is just the tip of the iceberg.
Go Bucks!
MajorDad
Banned User

Post#13 » by MajorDad » Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:13 am

I'm really positive tonight. more positive than ever. i' m positive more blow out losses loom in our future.
old skool
General Manager
And1: 3,510

Post#14 » by old skool » Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:43 pm

Actually, St. Louis still has the old ABA franchise - the Spirit of St. Louis.

When the ABA merged with the NBA, the Spirit owners held out for more than the $1-million that each franchise being disbanded would receive. So the Spirit gets 1/7 of the national TV revenue from each of the ABA teams that joined the NBA - Indiana, New Jersey, Denver and San Antonio.

In total, the Spirit receive 4/7 of a share of the national NBA TV revenue every year for ever, and they have no stadium or roster expenses. This makes them somewhat profitable.

os
FreeSealedJono
Junior

Post#15 » by FreeSealedJono » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:36 pm

the_incredible_basti wrote:whait, there is optimism on the bucks board? no wai

/green font

they should make green font the default if this year goes the same as the last two, like a few previews have the bucks. they say things like
-bogut the bust hasn't improved in 3 years and is too old
-the tradding of mo for nothing cancels out the addition jefferson
-the east has improved, especially the middle teams, the bucks have not
-not even bogut and jefferson are even average deffenders
-skiles will not see 2009, probably suicide by villanueva

most are not from major sources, some amatuer, the test is seeing how high they are on their local team
milwaukee where FEAR THE DUNK happens
rocking the Vaseline on the rim conspiracy
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,328

Post#16 » by El Duderino » Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:24 am

One thing that has given me at least some optimism is seeing a head coach finally sticks to his word about being willing to bench anyone who dogs it or plays foolishly. When Skiles actually yanked Redd off the court for taking a terrible shot, i was very pleased. Yesterday, Skiles showed how he can coach firm, yet fairly. Against the Bulls, Skiles was angry with the play of Villanueva and he locked Charlie to the bench. Even with that, Skiles didn't hold a grudge and right away bury CV in the doghouse, he started Villanueva the next night and left him on the court for 34 minutes after Charlie played in a fashion deserving of the minutes.

Hopefully that firm but fair approach can finally reach a talented kid like CV who has shown such inconsistent effort as an NBA player. Villanueva can see right away that he has a coach who isn't going to tolerate him loafing around on the court and/or playing stupid, but will reward good effort even if a few dumb mistakes happen in the game. I know it was only a single game, but the overall effort from Villanueva yesterday was the best i've seen from him in a Bucks uniform and maybe Skiles handling of him had something to do with it.
InsideOut
Lead Assistant
And1: 534

Post#17 » by InsideOut » Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:55 am

No need for optimism in the NBA...it's based on reality. Teams don't come out of the blue and compete for titles or even conference finals. At the start of the season we all know who has a chance at a title and who is a lock for the playoffs and who is a lock not to make the playoffs. Sure once in a great while a fringe playoff team has the stars align and look great but we all know they aren't going far come playoff time. Think Seattle of a few years back. We already know two of Boston, Cleveland and Detroit will be in the ECF. We already know LA, NO, Utah and The Spurs will fight it out in the West and most likely LA will come out on top. The Bucks (baring injury) for most of the season will be close to the 8th seed. In the final month they may grab that spot or fall apart and end up 5 or so games back. Sorry to tell you how the movie turns out. :D
Rockmaninoff
General Manager
And1: 1,667

Post#18 » by Rockmaninoff » Sat Nov 1, 2008 5:53 pm

old skool wrote:Actually, St. Louis still has the old ABA franchise - the Spirit of St. Louis.

When the ABA merged with the NBA, the Spirit owners held out for more than the $1-million that each franchise being disbanded would receive. So the Spirit gets 1/7 of the national TV revenue from each of the ABA teams that joined the NBA - Indiana, New Jersey, Denver and San Antonio.

In total, the Spirit receive 4/7 of a share of the national NBA TV revenue every year for ever, and they have no stadium or roster expenses. This makes them somewhat profitable.

os

Really? That's very interesting. Thanks for sharing that bit of information.

El Duderino wrote:One thing that has given me at least some optimism is seeing a head coach finally sticks to his word about being willing to bench anyone who dogs it or plays foolishly. When Skiles actually yanked Redd off the court for taking a terrible shot, i was very pleased. Yesterday, Skiles showed how he can coach firm, yet fairly. Against the Bulls, Skiles was angry with the play of Villanueva and he locked Charlie to the bench. Even with that, Skiles didn't hold a grudge and right away bury CV in the doghouse, he started Villanueva the next night and left him on the court for 34 minutes after Charlie played in a fashion deserving of the minutes.

Hopefully that firm but fair approach can finally reach a talented kid like CV who has shown such inconsistent effort as an NBA player. Villanueva can see right away that he has a coach who isn't going to tolerate him loafing around on the court and/or playing stupid, but will reward good effort even if a few dumb mistakes happen in the game. I know it was only a single game, but the overall effort from Villanueva yesterday was the best i've seen from him in a Bucks uniform and maybe Skiles handling of him had something to do with it.

Couple that with the best 'key veterans on long term contacts' ratio that Skiles has had in his career, and it really has the makings of something that could be sustainable and special.

InsideOut wrote:No need for optimism in the NBA...it's based on reality. Teams don't come out of the blue and compete for titles or even conference finals. At the start of the season we all know who has a chance at a title and who is a lock for the playoffs and who is a lock not to make the playoffs. Sure once in a great while a fringe playoff team has the stars align and look great but we all know they aren't going far come playoff time. Think Seattle of a few years back. We already know two of Boston, Cleveland and Detroit will be in the ECF. We already know LA, NO, Utah and The Spurs will fight it out in the West and most likely LA will come out on top. The Bucks (baring injury) for most of the season will be close to the 8th seed. In the final month they may grab that spot or fall apart and end up 5 or so games back. Sorry to tell you how the movie turns out. :D

Perhaps the NBA should switch to a 3/5/7/9 playoff format? That would certainly generate more upsets and excitement, theoretically. Having a nine game series would give a whole new meaning to - 'It takes five'.
MilBucksBackOnTop06 wrote:The fight for civil rights just like for liberty and justice and peace won't be won by man. It will take a god...so lets move on to sports.

Magic Giannison wrote:Giannis is god but even god's cannot save our **** team.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks