ImageImage

Damon Jones back + WSSP rumor (page 8)

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

bayrdbandit
Sixth Man
And1: 1

Re: Damon Jones to rejoin team on 12/27 

Post#81 » by bayrdbandit » Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:46 pm

i see damon jones as much a point guard as iverson or mo, not a true distributor. there's no way he's coming in to the team to play the 1. it won't happen. if he actually suits up, it'll be because we need a couple of sure-fire 3s.

if you ask him, i think you'll find he's the world's best shooter.
carmelbrownqueen
RealGM
And1: 42

Post#82 » by carmelbrownqueen » Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:47 pm

Andrew34r wrote:Jones hit some huge shots for Cleveland in the playoffs. He has a high assist to turnover ratio so those that are insulting his ball handling skills should factor that in as well. He is better than Lue offensively. When Jones was playing with Ford and splitting minutes he was very solid. If he gets traded...fine...it wont break my heart but IMO he should have been with the team from the start of the season...would have been the perfect guy to bring in when we needed a three or when our PG's were stinking it up.
fixed
"Too many people ask for help, and sometimes you have to help yourself." - Jerry Sloan

"We don't accept anything but winning. We don't accept anything but playing hard." - John Hammond
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#83 » by REDDzone » Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:53 pm

How is DJ better than Lue? Its not his defense (which is worse), or his much worse rebounding is it? Even if we only consider offense? Is it the lower fg%, TS% and EFG% (comparing Jones last year to Lue this year), or is it the lower assist rate?

Lue is better than DJ in every aspect of the game at this point with the exception of DJ taking slightly better care of the ball.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
Andrew34r
Assistant Coach
And1: 2

Post#84 » by Andrew34r » Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:55 pm

carmelbrownqueen wrote:
Andrew34r wrote:Jones hit some huge shots for Cleveland in the playoffs. He has a high assist to turnover ratio so those that are insulting his ball handling skills should factor that in as well. He is better than Lue offensively. When Jones was playing with Ford and splitting minutes he was very solid. If he gets traded...fine...it wont break my heart but IMO he should have been with the team from the start of the season...would have been the perfect guy to bring in when we needed a three or when our PG's were stinking it up.
fixed

True. :D
Andrew34r
Assistant Coach

Post#85 » by Andrew34r » Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:57 pm

REDDzone wrote:How is DJ better than Lue? Its not his defense (which is worse), or his much worse rebounding is it? Even if we only consider offense? Is it the lower fg%, TS% and EFG% (comparing Jones last year to Lue this year), or is it the lower assist rate?

Lue is better than DJ in every aspect of the game at this point with the exception of DJ taking slightly better care of the ball.

Im not looking at DJ on the Cavs...im looking at while he was on the Bucks. Somehow he found himself out of the rotation with the Cavs. Which you could use to support your argument but anyway that you swing it Jones was solid while he was here and he also is a threat from three point land and has hit some very big shots.
carmelbrownqueen
RealGM

Post#86 » by carmelbrownqueen » Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:00 pm

REDDzone wrote:How is DJ better than Lue? Its not his defense (which is worse), or his much worse rebounding is it? Even if we only consider offense? Is it the lower fg%, TS% and EFG% (comparing Jones last year to Lue this year), or is it the lower assist rate?

How dare you challenge his self-proclaimed title of Best Shooter in the World!!!! :lol:
"Too many people ask for help, and sometimes you have to help yourself." - Jerry Sloan

"We don't accept anything but winning. We don't accept anything but playing hard." - John Hammond
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#87 » by REDDzone » Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:03 pm

Oh, if he was the same player, then absolutely I would love DJ on the team. Hell, I wouldn't mind him now, having an extra body can't hurt anything.

I am just not sure that he's the same player now as he was then. That was five years ago wasn't it? And I think I'm one of the few people who actually believes that Lue has contributed to the team this year in limited minutes.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#88 » by REDDzone » Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:05 pm

carmelbrownqueen wrote:How dare you challenge his self-proclaimed title of Best Shooter in the World!!!! :lol:

:D

Well this team has been great defensively and on the boards, so adding the best shooter in the world should make the offense just good enough for us to win a champinship this year if Skiles plays his cards right.
Andrew34r
Assistant Coach

Post#89 » by Andrew34r » Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:10 pm

REDDzone wrote:Oh, if he was the same player, then absolutely I would love DJ on the team. Hell, I wouldn't mind him now, having an extra body can't hurt anything.

I am just not sure that he's the same player now as he was then. That was five years ago wasn't it? And I think I'm one of the few people who actually believes that Lue has contributed to the team this year in limited minutes.

Fair enough. Lets hope for the benefit of the Bucks that he is the same player that he was. Like I said before I dont mind if he is traded I just think he can bring some good things to the Bucks.
carmelbrownqueen
RealGM

Post#90 » by carmelbrownqueen » Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:13 pm

I find it interesting that the Bucks decided to do an "official press release" to announce that Damon Jones would be with the team starting on Saturday... Just seems unnecessary for such a minor situation. hmmmmmm

DPGBucks
Junior
And1: 12

Post#91 » by DPGBucks » Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:18 pm

It's fine and good if he's the same player, the best shooter or whatever. I just really don't think that he'll spend much time, if any, on the roster.
Would he really want to come in and ride the pines? If he plays, then who's minutes does he take?
There really has to be more to it then this.

*Edit
Press release on Saturday. NICE!
Can't wait to see what that's all about.
WRau1
RealGM
And1: 5,144

Post#92 » by WRau1 » Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:24 pm

FORGET POOPER JONES, BRING BACK THE BIGCAT. WOOOOOOOOOO!!!
#FreeChuckDiesel
#FreeNowak008
#FreeNewz
bigkurty
General Manager
And1: 1,511

Post#93 » by bigkurty » Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:32 pm

carmelbrownqueen wrote:I find it interesting that the Bucks decided to do an "official press release" to announce that Damon Jones would be with the team starting on Saturday... Just seems unnecessary for such a minor situation. hmmmmmm

I find this very strange too. It almost seems like they are trying to hype it up more than necessary so that maybe it brings a few more casual fans out who would like to see the "new guy" even if he is recycled. Either that or they are trying to hide their real intentions. Probably a little of both I imagine.
REDDzone
RealGM

Post#94 » by REDDzone » Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:34 pm

Wait, do we have a source for the press conference? Or did you guys just hear about it personally?

Not doubting, just wondering.
carmelbrownqueen
RealGM

Post#95 » by carmelbrownqueen » Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:36 pm

REDDzone wrote:Wait, do we have a source for the press conference? Or did you guys just hear about it personally?

Not doubting, just wondering.

Not a press conference, just a press release announcing that he will be with the team starting tomorrow.

REDDzone
RealGM

Post#96 » by REDDzone » Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:38 pm

Oops, I read it "press conference on Saturday" as opposed to "press release that he is joining on Saturday".

"*Edit
Press release on Saturday. NICE!
Can't wait to see what that's all about."

I think that guy read it wrong too.
carmelbrownqueen
RealGM

Post#97 » by carmelbrownqueen » Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:56 pm

For the purposes of discussion only (and because we love to speculate on stuff on this board).. let's consider this situation for a moment. The Bucks and Damon Jones mutually agree (using their terminology) that he will join the team starting tomorrow. He has not been with the team AT ALL.. was not been in training camp, did not play any of the preseason, and does not appear to have any sort of comfort level with the new coaching staff. He wanted to go to a contending team to finish out his career and the Bucks were/are not committed to giving him any consistent minutes. The Bucks and Damon himself have shopped his services all over the league with little to no interest garnered (initially a couple expressed interest if we paid roughly half or more of his salary but even that fell through). Now all of a sudden not only is he joining the team but we have to have a Press Release announcing that he is joining the team. Why? Who cares? Will he even get minutes if he does? Do they believe a team will be more interested if he is allowed to go out there and chuck threes?

And again, why do we need something official to be stated about this? This isn't Stephon Marbury.. nobody has been expressing any type of keen interest in the Bucks/Damon Jones situation. Really it seems like an inconsequential thing. Could we use his three point shooting? Sure, but we actually have been performing reasonably well as of late without it.. oh and let's not forget that our coach doesn't sound very enthused about his presence. So why now?

ETA: He could very easily come in sit down on the bench and if necessary we could deactivate Croshere (as we did on Saturday when Allen came back), and Johnny Mac & Jim Pash could mention his presence in passing like we do everything else.. why announce it officially?

kebzach
Bench Warmer
And1: 11

Post#98 » by kebzach » Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:01 am

Obviously there's more to this situation than the public has been let in on thus far.
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,553

Post#99 » by Bernman » Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:04 am

As much as I have an affinity for Brandon Bassy, acquiring him for a player like Sessions would be tantamount to borrowing from lone shark to pay another.....You're still going to get your legs broken.

I'd much prefer dealing our 1st rounder (crappy draft) + Jones for Bassy + a 2nd rounder (we are the kings). Or something of that nature.

Anyways, Jones reporting doesn't necessarily signify a trade of a guard is on the horizon. It could mean CB42's injury was much worse than initially feared.
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
carmelbrownqueen
RealGM

Post#100 » by carmelbrownqueen » Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:12 am

Bernman wrote:As much as I have an affinity for Brandon Bassy, acquiring him for a player like Sessions would be tantamount to borrowing from lone shark to pay another.....You're still going to get your legs broken.

I'd much prefer dealing our 1st rounder (crappy draft) + Jones for Bassy + a 2nd rounder (we are the kings). Or something of that nature.

Anyways, Jones reporting doesn't necessarily signify a trade of a guard is on the horizon. It could mean CB42's injury was much worse than initially feared.

Actually you're willing to give up too much just to get Bass, he has an extremely low contract.. it's worth noting that the Mavs have gotten very very solid play from James Singleton which could replace him if they decided to trade Brandon. The Mavs are struggling with scoring from the starting lineup... Kidd, George, and Dampier aren't consistent scorers.. they actually need another guy to give them something offensively with that starting unit.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks