CV,Lue may be traded for Landry and Filler

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,315

Re: CV,Lue may be traded for Landry and Filler 

Post#421 » by paulpressey25 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:47 am

rocket_zoom wrote:[I noticed the original posting of this rumor never discussed how Rockets management percieved the value of Landry and that's why this rumor was probably bogus to begin with.

Yeah, yeah yeah.....we know...you've got all stars at every position....Morey would never engage in any serious dialogue with other teams to trade any of them unless LeBron was coming back the other way.......blah blah blah....
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
wichmae
RealGM
And1: 1,031

Post#422 » by wichmae » Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:30 am

rocket_zoom wrote:
paulpressey25 wrote:Ok, well this is dead if it ever was alive in the first place.

Mutombo just signed with the Rockets:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/spo ... 87183.html

I question the original source for this in the first place as it never made sense from Darryl Morey's perspective and the Rockets Management perspective.

Since few of the posters here follow the Rockets, the bottom line is Darryl Morey and the Rockets Management have a high opinion of Landry and of Landry's potential. That's why they matched all offers for Landry during the summer and spent the entire summer negotiating with Landry to get him back. Landry continues to come off the bench for the Rockets and has been producing for the Rockets this season every time he comes off the bench.

It never made any sense for Daryl Morey to waste all the effort and time during the summer to keep an already producing PF in Landry who is young and has potential, and throw him away just like that in a desperate move for a backup center in Mihms and for CV, especially since CV is widely known in the NBA for his poor work effort and his poor defense.

I noticed the original posting of this rumor never discussed how Rockets management percieved the value of Landry and that's why this rumor was probably bogus to begin with.

Again, this was NOT bogus or made up. The deal fell apart somehow overnight and never was revisited. Not sure which end or how it died. Its great to be a fan of your team and what not but to discount something you have no knowledge in is a bit ignorant.
rocket_zoom
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#423 » by rocket_zoom » Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:02 am

wichmae wrote:Again, this was NOT bogus or made up. The deal fell apart somehow overnight and never was revisited. Not sure which end or how it died. Its great to be a fan of your team and what not but to discount something you have no knowledge in is a bit ignorant.

In a nutshell, this quote from Jonathan Feigen, who lives and breathes the Rockets for the Houston Chronicle, is Houston's take on the rumor:

Also is there any validity of this supposed rumor of trading Landry to Charlie Villanueva?

(No. -- Jonathan)

http://blogs.chron.com/nba/2008/12/mcgrady_sits_artest_steps_up_w.html
rocket_zoom
Sophomore

Post#424 » by rocket_zoom » Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:11 am

paulpressey25 wrote:Yeah, yeah yeah.....we know...you've got all stars at every position....Morey would never engage in any serious dialogue with other teams to trade any of them unless LeBron was coming back the other way.......blah blah blah....

Sorry, as per my reply to Wichmae, Jonathan Feigen's (from the Houston Chronicle) take on the rumor is why I doubt the validity of the rumor in the first place.
ShaY
Sixth Man

Post#425 » by ShaY » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:19 pm

rocket_zoom wrote:
wichmae wrote:Again, this was NOT bogus or made up. The deal fell apart somehow overnight and never was revisited. Not sure which end or how it died. Its great to be a fan of your team and what not but to discount something you have no knowledge in is a bit ignorant.

In a nutshell, this quote from Jonathan Feigen, who lives and breathes the Rockets for the Houston Chronicle, is Houston's take on the rumor:

Also is there any validity of this supposed rumor of trading Landry to Charlie Villanueva?

(No. -- Jonathan)

http://blogs.chron.com/nba/2008/12/mcgrady_sits_artest_steps_up_w.html

Agree with you that we really value Landry but we spent the summer negotiating because he was restricted and there was no reason to make an offer until someone else will.
“He didn’t miss?” , “That’s fantastic. That’s tremendous. I wish I could have a day like that. I dream of the day I could go 12-for-12.”-Rafer Alston
power4wardjinx
Pro Prospect

Post#426 » by power4wardjinx » Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:01 pm

rocket_zoom wrote:
paulpressey25 wrote:Yeah, yeah yeah.....we know...you've got all stars at every position....Morey would never engage in any serious dialogue with other teams to trade any of them unless LeBron was coming back the other way.......blah blah blah....

Sorry, as per my reply to Wichmae, Jonathan Feigen's (from the Houston Chronicle) take on the rumor is why I doubt the validity of the rumor in the first place.

I don't think the rumor was invalid, only that the trade was contingent on the Rockets not being able to get Mutumbo to come back. Jonathan Feigen may be a good journalist but they don't tell him everything. His sources also might have told him about it on condition that he not go public with it pending the Mutumbo situation. His blog with the fans started Sunday, two days before the Mutumbo signing was announced.

Sounds like this three-way deal where your Rockets get Villanueva and Mihm was something of a Plan B. The Rockets wooed Mutumbo heavily over the weekend, which suggests they didn't think too highly of Plan B.
Also, the guard Bucks probably wanted Luther Head and not Brent Barry, while the Rockets probably saw themselves getting more Head and giving up Barry. :D
That woulda been a snag. How badly could a team possibly want Mihm?
"Power forward ... again, that's something we'll probably have to address." - Larry Costello, Don Nelson, George Karl, Scott Skiles.
http://community.sportsbubbler.com/blog ... fault.aspx
europa
RealGM
And1: 471

Post#427 » by europa » Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:32 pm

Too bad this deal fell apart. Would've been a helluva trade for the Bucks.

The good news is Villanueva's improved play so far this season has raised his trade value. So while Hammond may not have gotten the deal he wanted this time, it was a MUCH better deal than what was being offered for Villanueva just a few months ago. If that holds true, the Bucks will hopefully be able to get something of value for him by the trade deadline at the latest.
Nothing will not break me.
Jollay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 661

Post#428 » by Jollay » Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:16 pm

That is why they dealt Yi instead of CV last offseason--trade value. And it was clearly the right move.

They didn't want two softies on their roster at PF.

But, as I pointed out to all the people that wanted to trade CV even after Yi was dealt for some reason, who exactly do we get back at PF that would warrant such a trade, and why would he at all be an upgrade if they were willing to take CV for him.

Which brings me to our next point; its still no given we'll even trade the guy. Depends on how we're doing and alot of things.

I view this rumor as still pretty credible.
europa
RealGM
And1: 471

Post#429 » by europa » Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:20 pm

Jollay wrote:That is why they dealt Yi instead of CV last offseason--trade value.

The info GAD has provided said Hammond wanted to trade Villanueva to the Nets in the Jefferson deal but the Nets refused and would only do the deal if they got Yi. And Hammond spent the summer after that trying to trade Villanueva but nobody valued him much. There was one concrete offer I know was made involving a player who was later traded elsewhere and Hammond turned it down. I wouldn't have made that trade either for Villanueva. It wasn't very inspiring.

But the good news again is Villanueva's trade value is on the rise. As long as he stays healthy and at least reasonably productive I'm more confident than I was in the summer that somebody will bite despite the well known issues he brings to the table.
Nothing will not break me.
raferfenix
RealGM
And1: 3,633

Post#430 » by raferfenix » Thu Jan 1, 2009 12:33 am

As someone getting made fun of by my bro and dad for going on and on about how this was a done deal, I'm hoping one of our resident insiders could provide a little more context to what happened. Of course I know you guys have limited info you can provide, but I'm hoping at least a few of these questions aren't asking too much considering how out on a limb (which you guys rarely do) you all went on this deal:

1. Which team killed the deal?

2. If it was the Rockets who killed the deal, was the Chris Mihm aspect really that important for them to stop the Landry/CV swap?

3. Is it possible the deal is being delayed to help get the Rockets a different piece with Tyronne Lue?

4. If CV keeps up his improved play, do you think a Landry/CV swap can still happen?

5. If it was the Bucks who killed the deal, why do you think it was and do you think Hammond is working a bigger deal or just a different CV deal?

Thanks guys!
battier31
Pro Prospect

Post#431 » by battier31 » Thu Jan 1, 2009 12:38 am

It sounds like this is dead but I'm very curious if anyone caught something Jim Paschke just said like 10 minutes ago during the game??? I had to rewind it to make sure I heard correctly... They were discussing his jersey number which is the same as Jon McGlocklins which is retired when he said "He won't be able to wear that when he's playing in the Bradley Center."

I don't have any clue as to whether that was just a mistake, but it definitely caught my attention...
Baddy Chuck
RealGM
And1: 23,209

Post#432 » by Baddy Chuck » Thu Jan 1, 2009 12:42 am

europa wrote:There was one concrete offer I know was made involving a player who was later traded elsewhere and Hammond turned it down. I wouldn't have made that trade either for Villanueva. It wasn't very inspiring.

Please tell me it wasn't Ron Artest......
John Henson wrote:This lady just asked me who I play for and I said the Milwaukee Bucks, she quickly replied “oh the highschool across the street?”
JustinCredible
Head Coach
And1: 2,965

Post#433 » by JustinCredible » Thu Jan 1, 2009 12:52 am

battier31 wrote:It sounds like this is dead but I'm very curious if anyone caught something Jim Paschke just said like 10 minutes ago during the game??? I had to rewind it to make sure I heard correctly... They were discussing his jersey number which is the same as Jon McGlocklins which is retired when he said "He won't be able to wear that when he's playing in the Bradley Center."

I don't have any clue as to whether that was just a mistake, but it definitely caught my attention...

Yes I caught that and had to rewind it myself. Also, the Bucks Director of Scouting is at this game in Houston. Could this deal still go down? Seems to me like it still has some legs.
All posts are my own opinion.
Twitter: @itsjwills
raferfenix
RealGM
And1: 3,633

Post#434 » by raferfenix » Thu Jan 1, 2009 1:13 am

JustinCredible wrote:
battier31 wrote:It sounds like this is dead but I'm very curious if anyone caught something Jim Paschke just said like 10 minutes ago during the game??? I had to rewind it to make sure I heard correctly... They were discussing his jersey number which is the same as Jon McGlocklins which is retired when he said "He won't be able to wear that when he's playing in the Bradley Center."

Yes I caught that and had to rewind it myself. Also, the Bucks Director of Scouting is at this game in Houston. Could this deal still go down? Seems to me like it still has some legs.

I'm certainly hoping it can still go through. I have a hard time seeing Chris Mihm being that important to the deal. What else could Tyronne Lue bring them that might make them close it---I don't know what other team needs the have?

With the word that Mcgrady is going to sit the second day of back to backs, the Rockets definitely seem like they need the kind of scoring punch CV can provide. They are clealry high on Landry, but if they were considering this deal in the first place I don't see why Mihm would be the tie that bound it if they weren't high on CV as well.
power4wardjinx
Pro Prospect

Post#435 » by power4wardjinx » Thu Jan 1, 2009 1:21 am

europa wrote:
Jollay wrote:That is why they dealt Yi instead of CV last offseason--trade value.

The info GAD has provided said Hammond wanted to trade Villanueva to the Nets in the Jefferson deal but the Nets refused and would only do the deal if they got Yi.

There was never an intent to trade Yi period, of course. But according to the info Kiki Vandewiegh provided about the trade, he had promised Yi he would "come and get him" if he got another GM job, and he did just that. New Jersey was behind the wheel on that trade.

It's just funny to me that it's just assumed the Bucks are calling the shots, especially about a player the Rockets are so high on.
"Power forward ... again, that's something we'll probably have to address." - Larry Costello, Don Nelson, George Karl, Scott Skiles.
http://community.sportsbubbler.com/blog ... fault.aspx
JustinCredible
Head Coach

Post#436 » by JustinCredible » Thu Jan 1, 2009 1:21 am

Maybe Houston wanted to ensure that they signed Mutumbo before trading away a low-post player like Landry? Is it possible that is what was holding this deal up?
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#437 » by REDDzone » Thu Jan 1, 2009 1:45 am

Well, CV sure isn't helping the deal if there is any possibility that it could still work out.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
JustinCredible
Head Coach

Post#438 » by JustinCredible » Thu Jan 1, 2009 2:26 am

Brent Barry looked very 'buddy buddy' with both Redd and Ridnour after the game. I predict we are getting Landry and Barry in this deal. I also think that it will happen tomorrow. If it doesn't happen by our next game then I will give up on the deal and move on.
lawrybeard
Analyst
And1: 165

Post#439 » by lawrybeard » Thu Jan 1, 2009 2:30 am

Hi Rockets, do you want to trade your guy that can play for our guy that can't? Please??
icat2000
RealGM
And1: 42

Post#440 » by icat2000 » Thu Jan 1, 2009 2:44 am

Why would the Rockets want CV after that display. Just confirms that running away from the deal was the right thing to do.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks