ImageImage

Woelfel on trade rumors (Redd on block)

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

jeremyd236
General Manager
And1: 16

Re: Woelfel on trade rumors (Redd on block) 

Post#101 » by jeremyd236 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:38 pm

InsideOut wrote:
jeremyd236 wrote:
emunney wrote:jeremy: Stop getting angry that you don't understand his argument. It's the combination of the two things that's hurting us so badly: 1) he's shooting a very low percentage, and 2) he's taking a lot of shots. If either of those things were not true, he would not be killing us.

No, I understand completely that it was the combination that Redd takes the most shots on our team and that he shoots a bad %. I get that.

But what I also get is the Bucks record this year when Redd plays compared to when he doesn't play. I know we shoot a higher % as a team when Redd plays. I know we shoot a higher 3 pt% when Redd plays. I know we average more PPG.

So, explain that. Yes, I know Redd is shooting poorly. But is it possible that a player can impact a game beyond his direct stats? It must possible, because there's got to be a way the way the Bucks have played this season with and without Redd. Of course it may be coincidence, and I can pretty much guarantee that that's what the Redd haters will say.

And no I won't admit that the Redd is killing the Bucks until they have a better record without him than with him and until we shoot a higher % in games that he doesn't play.

Because I think it's exactly like Skiles says. Even when Redd plays poorly (which he has almost every game this season), he impacts the Bucks in more ways than any direct stat towards him would indicate. Where is the stat that indicates the spacing provided to the Bucks when he simply steps on the court? Where's the stat that shows how many double teams he draws ever single possession?

Now I'm not defending Redd. He has played very badly and if we get a good offer, I want to pull the trigger. But you just can't say he's "killing" the Bucks. He isn't killing the Bucks more than anyone else except probably Bogut. The fact remains that we have a higher win % when he plays. I don't see the killing in that.

You are absolutely hilarious and the biggest flip-flopper ever. A few weeks back I said the Bucks were better off without Redd. I pointed out the Bucks had a better winning percentage without Redd from the start of last season until 20ish games into this season You said my argument was stupid. You said the sample size of 1.25 seasons was way too small. You also said I needed to look at all easy teams we beat without Redd. Now here you are 2 weeks later using the same argument you called stupid only you're using an even smaller sample size. Please explain why you now using the same argument you labeled stupid two weeks ago doesn't make you the biggest flip-flopper here. I'd love to hear your answer to this but my guess is you'll ignore it and hope it goes away. As far as why your point hold no water, emunney and Trwi7 have it covered.

Are you kidding me? When you played the record card, you used LAST YEAR as your sample. 3 out of the last 4 years, the Bucks have had a better record with Redd than without him. That's more telling than using a one year sample that differs from 3 out of the last 4 years.

Why won't you look at this year? This is the year we are playing, not last. You could say that Redd doesn't directly help the Bucks win, but the fact remains that we have a much better record with him the last 4 years than without him the last 4 years. I'm not arguing any point. I'm stating a fact.

So it is for that fact alone that I won't say he is "killing" the Bucks. You could possibly say he isn't helping the Bucks, but I see no way in which you could say he is the reason we lose. As a team, we have a higher FG%, higher 3pt%, and average more PPG. I won't even argue that he's the reason these numbers go up. I'm just saying...the fact remains that he's had a better record than the Bucks as a whole the last 4 years, and this year is no exception.

I don't want to get into an argument that goes 4 pages about this again. I'm not defending anybody. My whole point was just to say that I don't think he's "killing" the Bucks. He just might not be helping them, although team record over the last 4 years doesn't indicate that either.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,427

Post#102 » by trwi7 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:41 pm

adamcz wrote:If Redd were simply dumped for expiring contracts, it wouldn't neccesarily mean starting from scratch. It would mean that for the next five months we'd be without our 4th best player (or whatever Redd is), but in this coming off-season we could use the MLE to immediatly replace some of what we lost (and still save money overall).

On the other hand, if we don't trade Redd for expiring deals, it might mean that we don't have funds to re-sign Sessions this summer for the $5+ million that he will likely command.

I could see it going either way, but it's at least possible that dumping Redd is as much a win-now (now meaning next year) move as not dumping him.

Great post. Completely agree that dumping Redd for expirings isn't as bad as some think. How much would we really lose this year? I'd actually like to see Ramon play the 2. I liked the way he and Luke looked when they were on the court together. Some may say our shooting would be horrible, but it's horrible now with Redd.

If we do get just expirings, our commited salary goes from $64,412,000 next year to $47,372,000. We would still have our MLE with Redd next year, but we would likely have to match an offer for Sessions keeping pretty much the same team, plus draft picks. After that, we'd be done.

If we traded Redd, we would have about $13 million in cap space (assuming the cap goes up to about $60 million), if Elson and Allen don't exercise their options, that's $3 million more in cap space.

We could make a run at Carlos Boozer, maybe make an offer for Paul Millsap and force the Jazz to match. Make Okur an offer, make Turkoglu and offer, make Odom an offer, make Marion an offer.

Will we get any of those guys? Maybe, maybe not. That doesn't mean that our cap space would be useless, though. We could get a player like Camby for basically nothing if a team wanted to avoid the luxury tax. Plenty of possibilities.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,285

Post#103 » by paulpressey25 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:43 pm

What if Redd couldn't be dealt for expirings? And the best deal on the table was Redd to Indiana for Troy Murphy and Jamaal Tinsley.

How desperate are people? Would you do it?

Murphy is still owed $11mm and $11mm after this season. Tinsley is owed $7.2 and $7.5mm after this season.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
SupremeHustle
RealGM
And1: 28,666

Post#104 » by SupremeHustle » Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:01 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:What if Redd couldn't be dealt for expirings? And the best deal on the table was Redd to Indiana for Troy Murphy and Jamaal Tinsley.

Murphy is still owed $11mm and $11mm after this season. Tinsley is owed $7.2 and $7.5mm after this season.

Murphy would be the best 4 the Bucks have had since Vin Baker was sober. I'd do it.
jschligs wrote:Am I the only one who doesn't know who the **** SupremeHustle is?
jerrod
RealGM
And1: 133
Location: The Berkeley of the midwest/ born with the intent/ to distress any government/ right of the left

Post#105 » by jerrod » Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:04 pm

jeremyd236 wrote:And I don't think it's fair to judge Redd based on just his stats because players can bring more to the game than just what the stats show.

since he became a starter i have never, not even once, seen someone trumpet redd bringing intangibles that don't show up in the boxscore.
trwi7
RealGM

Post#106 » by trwi7 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:09 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:What if Redd couldn't be dealt for expirings? And the best deal on the table was Redd to Indiana for Troy Murphy and Jamaal Tinsley.

Murphy > Redd

Same length of contracts, I'd do it.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

raferfenix
RealGM
And1: 3,625

Post#107 » by raferfenix » Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:27 pm

Ugh....I'd rather wait on a Redd trade than go for Murphy. Tinsley is also untradeable and we just don't need him.

One of the biggest problems the Bucks have had is that we lack athleticism. Putting Murphy into the equation exacerbates that problem while also making a huge hole at the 2. Plus, we get even softer which is another one of our team's ongoing achilles heals. That trade would still keep our team fatally flawed and looing to make a new deal. We'd lose flexibility though to make the kind of deals we need to, and we wouldn't even be saving money to sign Sessions and Ersan this summer.

I want to trade Redd as badly or worse than anyone on this board, but I have a hard time seeing how this kind of deal helps us in the short or long term.
trwi7
RealGM

Post#108 » by trwi7 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:32 pm

Murphy is averaging 11.4/11.4/2.5 this year. This would also allow LRMAM to get more time on the wings.

REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#109 » by REDDzone » Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:41 pm

Damnit PP, why does this deal go from Murphy/Daniels to Murphy/Tinsley?

:D
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
jeremyd236
General Manager
And1: 16

Post#110 » by jeremyd236 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:41 pm

Murphy would be huge to this team. Skiles doesn't want LRMAM at the 4 all time anymore. Also, this allows us to let CV walk without feeling like we had to trade him to get anything for him (which we still could to make this even better).

But I think Tinsley's contract is what makes this deal not happen. He is basically useless. We all complain about Redd's 15 million this season....could you imagine having 7 million for Tinsley and 6 million for Gadzuric just rotting on our bench? It makes me sick already.

Plus, I don't think Indy would even want Redd. They have a better Redd for the longterm with Granger. Plus TJ hates Redd.
drew881
RealGM
And1: 5,003

Post#111 » by drew881 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:44 pm

I know everyone likes Murphy's 10 and 10, but lets look at this situation like we do with 20+ scorers. Someone on any team is going to get the points, someone is going to get the rebounds. Murphy wouldn't necessarily be a monster on this team. We already have Bogut, CV and Mbah a Moute rebounding for us. Murphy isn't going to come in here and add 10 rebounds to our team average.
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#112 » by REDDzone » Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:49 pm

raferfenix wrote:One of the biggest problems the Bucks have had is that we lack athleticism. Putting Murphy into the equation exacerbates that problem while also making a huge hole at the 2. Plus, we get even softer which is another one of our team's ongoing achilles heals. That trade would still keep our team fatally flawed and looing to make a new deal. We'd lose flexibility though to make the kind of deals we need to, and we wouldn't even be saving money to sign Sessions and Ersan this summer.

I am one of the biggest proponents of getting more athleticism on this team (I'm the guy pissed off because noone on our team can dunk, remember? :D )

With that said, if you have a chance to trade an unproductive player for a productive player (on a better contract), you do it. Replacing an unathletic player for an unathletic player isn't going to downgrade the athleticism too much.

I still would like to figure out something else rather than Tinsley though, I don't think he sees any time for us, and I'd like to get someone who would at least actually play.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
trwi7
RealGM

Post#113 » by trwi7 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:56 pm

Man, I don't really spend any time using the trade checker, but I am now and it's really difficult to come up with a Redd trade. His contract is a killer. You find a team that might be able to use him, but you can't make salaries work without taking one of their key players which completely negates the point of the other team trading for him. You could make a deal work if you do like a 6 or 7 for 1 trade, but nobody is giving up 6 or 7 players for 1.

paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,285

Post#114 » by paulpressey25 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:57 pm

I wouldn't do this deal for the reasons noted by a number of you above.

But I wanted to sort of "test the bottom" of what Redd might bring back and see what people thought.

I would do this deal easily if you subbed out Tinsley for Daniels since he is an expiring.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
InsideOut
Lead Assistant
And1: 534

Post#115 » by InsideOut » Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:03 pm

jeremyd236 wrote:I don't want to get into an argument that goes 4 pages about this again. I'm not defending anybody. My whole point was just to say that I don't think he's "killing" the Bucks. He just might not be helping them, although team record over the last 4 years doesn't indicate that either.

And that was the whole point I was trying to make in that debate. I'm glad to see you're now starting to agree with what what was saying back then. :P
raferfenix
RealGM
And1: 3,625

Post#116 » by raferfenix » Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:17 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:I wouldn't do this deal for the reasons noted by a number of you above.

But I wanted to sort of "test the bottom" of what Redd might bring back and see what people thought.

I would do this deal easily if you subbed out Tinsley for Daniels since he is an expiring.

I would also think much harder about it if Daniels is included, as we would be desperate for help at the 2 and he could be a very good fit. However, doesn't he have an extra year on his deal or is it a team option? All of this said, if we could swap out Gadz for Jeff Foster this deal becomes a whole lot more appealing. However, I really don't want us to make a lateral trade though where we trade one soft unathletic player for another.

I'm surprsied to see Murphy is averaging 11 boards a game, so maybe he's not as soft as I thought, but him and Bogut would probably be the softest and least athletic tandem in the leauge (and making 20+ mill a year between them). Taking on Tinsley's untradeable contract and chemistry killing attitude shouldn't even be considered. Fans willing to even talk about that possiblility shows just how desperate we are all to get rid of Redd.

This goes back to the point I've been making for a while now----the need to trade him sooner rather than later has just as much to do with fans being absolutely sick of his act (and not willing to pay for tickets or watch on TV because of this) as to what he's actually doing on the court.
BDUB_30
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#117 » by BDUB_30 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:22 pm

trwi7 wrote:Man, I don't really spend any time using the trade checker, but I am now and it's really difficult to come up with a Redd trade. His contract is a killer.

exactally ...i almost think redd is untradeable .

ive said this numerous times , and im sticking with it ... the bucks would be idiots to trade redd . one of the few assets we have is redd as an expiring ..imagine what we could get for , what is it ? a 17 millon dollar expiring ? thats the dilema ..how else does this roster rebuild ? we dont have the assets , nor do we have the time to develop lottery picks . we have to wait for redd to expire unless someone is offering something that will help us now and its not a deal longer then redds .

any trade that involves redd better not be for more years then redd .. thats my only hope ...denver grabbed billups for iversons expiring ...its a very similiar type move we could make in 2010 ..dont kid yourself , iversons value is as an expiring , if detroit liked him , they would of extended him now . we will be able to really retool this roster with all of those huge deals coming off the books .

i think that was/ is hammonds plan .. pray to god we can be somewhat competitve , draft smart , explore trades and wait for 2010 ... if thats what it takes to finaly get this team back on track im willing to wait . I do not want to see any f'n " baindagae " trades where we basicaly take on some bull just to rememdy the mediocrity of this team ... If youre going to trade redd / rj / gadzuric it better be for same or less years as their current contracts are now. If somehow you can move them for something that you think is solid , go for it ...
trwi7
RealGM

Post#118 » by trwi7 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:27 pm

raferfenix wrote:However, doesn't he have an extra year on his deal or is it a team option?

Team option.

Rockmaninoff
General Manager
And1: 1,667

Post#119 » by Rockmaninoff » Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:33 pm

trwi7 wrote:Man, I don't really spend any time using the trade checker, but I am now and it's really difficult to come up with a Redd trade. His contract is a killer. You find a team that might be able to use him, but you can't make salaries work without taking one of their key players which completely negates the point of the other team trading for him. You could make a deal work if you do like a 6 or 7 for 1 trade, but nobody is giving up 6 or 7 players for 1.

Are the Raptors desperate enough to do Redd/Jefferson for O'Neal/Filler (Parker or Kapono)?

They get a Big 3 that actually might work. Bosh is a clear #1 option. Max and Jefferson would theoretically fall right in line. We'd get O'Neal's huge-expiring-right-in-time-for-2010 contract.

That give us the option of either flipping the contract for quantity (To say Miami or even a Sacto or Indiana if they want to dump salary) or we just let that puppy expire and enjoy the cap flexibility. Am I insane?
MilBucksBackOnTop06 wrote:The fight for civil rights just like for liberty and justice and peace won't be won by man. It will take a god...so lets move on to sports.

Magic Giannison wrote:Giannis is god but even god's cannot save our **** team.
Siefer
RealGM
And1: 6,092

Post#120 » by Siefer » Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:38 pm

I'd do Redd for Daniels and Murphy in a heartbeat. Murphy would definitely help at PF where we're thin. He can rebound, shoot the three, and it would allow the Prince to play more SG and SF where he matches up better. Also, at this point I'm not sure Redd is even better than Daniels. Daniels is athletic, plays some D, and rebounds much better than Redd. I'm just not sure Indiana would do this deal. I'd think they'd try pretty hard to push Tinsley on us.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks