ImageImage

Woelfel on trade rumors (Redd on block)

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

europa
RealGM
And1: 471

Re: Woelfel on trade rumors (Redd on block) 

Post#221 » by europa » Fri Jan 2, 2009 1:55 am

Actually, this is the first time in awhile the right pieces are being put in place around Redd. I'm under no illusions that he's a long-term fit on this team. I don't believe he is. But after failing miserably to add the right pieces the past two years, the Bucks are finally putting a good team together. I'd like to see where things can go this season and that appears to be Hammond's mindset as well - barring a great trade for Redd.
Nothing will not break me.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,427

Post#222 » by trwi7 » Fri Jan 2, 2009 2:05 am

Why would Sacramento want Redd anyways? They have a better, younger, cheaper version of him in Kevin Martin.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
power4wardjinx
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Post#223 » by power4wardjinx » Fri Jan 2, 2009 2:30 am

europa wrote:Actually, this is the first time in awhile the right pieces are being put in place around Redd. I'm under no illusions that he's a long-term fit on this team. I don't believe he is. But after failing miserably to add the right pieces the past two years, the Bucks are finally putting a good team together. I'd like to see where things can go this season and that appears to be Hammond's mindset as well - barring a great trade for Redd.

I'd like to see them in the playoffs too, but the game against Detroit at home - a measuring stick game to boot - said loudly that a playoff slot is a hollow achievement. I would agree if Redd was a 2010 expiring but he's not. The time is now to get some return, if you care at all about what they do next season.

The right pieces were around Redd when he was coming off the bench under Karl. :D The main difference now in the Redd-as-starter era is that, for the first time since Sam was trade, the Bucks have a veteran point guard in Luke to keep Redd in line, and an a#$hole coach who's behind his PGs all the way.
"Power forward ... again, that's something we'll probably have to address." - Larry Costello, Don Nelson, George Karl, Scott Skiles.
http://community.sportsbubbler.com/blog ... fault.aspx
power4wardjinx
Pro Prospect

Post#224 » by power4wardjinx » Fri Jan 2, 2009 2:30 am

trwi7 wrote:Why would Sacramento want Redd anyways? They have a better, younger, cheaper version of him in Kevin Martin.

They wouldn't. That's why you'd a 3rd team in the trade.
"Power forward ... again, that's something we'll probably have to address." - Larry Costello, Don Nelson, George Karl, Scott Skiles.
xTitan
RealGM
And1: 2,283

Post#225 » by xTitan » Fri Jan 2, 2009 2:32 am

trwi7 wrote:Why would Sacramento want Redd anyways? They have a better, younger, cheaper version of him in Kevin Martin.

Exactly, plus they are rebuilding, you don't rebuild with an old, big contract. Redd won't be dealt until the offseason because the Bucks want talent in return, not expiring contracts.
paul
RealGM
And1: 1,038

Post#226 » by paul » Fri Jan 2, 2009 2:34 am

power4wardjinx wrote:
europa wrote:Actually, this is the first time in awhile the right pieces are being put in place around Redd. I'm under no illusions that he's a long-term fit on this team. I don't believe he is. But after failing miserably to add the right pieces the past two years, the Bucks are finally putting a good team together. I'd like to see where things can go this season and that appears to be Hammond's mindset as well - barring a great trade for Redd.

I'd like to see them in the playoffs too, but the game against Detroit at home - a measuring stick game to boot - said loudly that a playoff slot is a hollow achievement.

So the game against San Antonio on the road two days later - a measuring stick game to boot - tells you we're Championship bound then? That was a really strange comment.
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,328

Post#227 » by El Duderino » Fri Jan 2, 2009 3:15 am

xTitan wrote:

Exactly, plus they are rebuilding, you don't rebuild with an old, big contract. Redd won't be dealt until the offseason because the Bucks want talent in return, not expiring contracts.

That very well could to be the case with Hammond. That said, i have a hard time fathoming any competent GM giving up quality talent just for the right to acquire Redd and the ugly 17/18 million he'll get paid the next two season.

Think of it this way, if Redd could be had for free, would you pick him up knowing you'd have to pay him 35 million the next two years? I sure wouldn't, Redd will be making around 8-9 million more than he should each of the next two seasons. Mix in if the Bucks also wanted quality talent in return, any trade conversations would end quickly with me.

I hope i'm wrong, but if Hammond does trade Redd in the offseason, my guess is it will only be for some combination of other overpaid players.
power4wardjinx
Pro Prospect

Post#228 » by power4wardjinx » Fri Jan 2, 2009 3:28 am

paul wrote:
power4wardjinx wrote:

I'd like to see them in the playoffs too, but the game against Detroit at home - a measuring stick game to boot - said loudly that a playoff slot is a hollow achievement.

So the game against San Antonio on the road two days later - a measuring stick game to boot - tells you we're Championship bound then? That was a really strange comment.

That's not strange at all -- the Bucks measuring sticks are in the East, not in the west. There were NO measuring sticks on that Texas trip - only a game in SA to give them some confidence after playing so pathetically bad in the measuring stick game. The issue was whether they were going to respond to being benched.
There's no reason to give these guys any slack. Why would you?

Skiles said as much after the SA game. It's in Enlund's write-up at JSOnline.
eagle13
Head Coach
And1: 107

Post#229 » by eagle13 » Fri Jan 2, 2009 3:31 am

If you really want to move Redd

Bobcats might take Redd's 2 yrs to rid themselves of Wallace's 4yrs & Mohammad's 2.

We actually add salary but if you prefer Gerald over Michael?

I don't think I'd do it but Cats might since they dealt JRich(SG) and will be dealing Raja(SG) and maybe May or Morrison to Knix for Curry at deadline.
power4wardjinx
Pro Prospect

Post#230 » by power4wardjinx » Fri Jan 2, 2009 3:32 am

eagle13 wrote:If you really want to move Redd

Bobcats might take Redd's 2 yrs to rid themselves of Wallace's 4yrs & Mohammad's 2.

We actually add salary but if you prefer Gerald over Michael?.

I'd take Gerald over Redd. Would Jordan and Larry Brown take Mike?
Baddy Chuck
RealGM
And1: 23,164

Post#231 » by Baddy Chuck » Fri Jan 2, 2009 3:45 am

eagle13 wrote:Bobcats might take Redd's 2 yrs to rid themselves of Wallace's 4yrs & Mohammad's 2.

I love the fact that we'd have just about $24 million at one position.
John Henson wrote:This lady just asked me who I play for and I said the Milwaukee Bucks, she quickly replied “oh the highschool across the street?”
paul
RealGM
And1: 1,038

Post#232 » by paul » Fri Jan 2, 2009 4:19 am

power4wardjinx wrote:
paul wrote:
power4wardjinx wrote:

That's not strange at all -- the Bucks measuring sticks are in the East, not in the west. There were NO measuring sticks on that Texas trip - only a game in SA to give them some confidence after playing so pathetically bad in the measuring stick game. The issue was whether they were going to respond to being benched.

Right, so the Detroit loss means any playoff appearance is going to be 'hollow' in your words, yet beating a better team on their home court means nothing because they are in the West? All you are doing is skewing the facts to fit your argument, no one is talking about cutting these guys any slack.

The Detroit loss, while demoralizing for us fans, was simply a case of the Bucks going beyond ice cold for a 10 minute stretch and getting one of the worst games of Redd's career, after which Skiles decided that it was worth taking a loss rather than attempting any type of comeback to use it as some sort of a teaching tool.
We then went to the house of a perennial contender with all of their stars firing and beat them, yet somehow you think the loss is far more significant than the win.
Like I said you are skewing the two results to show the glass being half empty, but someone else could just as credibly take the exact same two results and form an argument that we are a top 4 contender in the east. Potato, potarto.
raferfenix
RealGM
And1: 3,625

Post#233 » by raferfenix » Fri Jan 2, 2009 4:36 am

With increasing evidence that Dalembert is on the block, I bet a deal like this is becoming more likely:

Bucks trade: Michael Redd
Bucks receive: Mike Miller, Reggie Evans, Calvin Booth

Sixers trade: Samuel Dalembert, Reggie Evans
Sixers receive: Michael Redd

Wolves trade: Mike Miller, Calvin Booth
Wolves receive: Samuel Dalembert

I don't think the Sixers would prefer Miller to Redd, especially with the Bucks taking on Reggie Evans. Miller just can't create his own shot like Redd can, and the Sixers need a scorer on the wing in a bad way. They have grown real high on Spleights and want him starting at center, but this deal might have to entail some way to beef up the Philly front court too. I think the Wolves are one of the most likely teams in the league to trade for Dalembert, as Mchale needs to do something to shake up that team if he wants to keep his job. Dalembert could be a long term fit next to Jefferson, and I think they compliment eachother real well considering how baldy Jefferson needs to play next to a good defender.

For us, we retain a lot of cap flexibility, but I think this deal would also help us on the court as well. Miller would be great for our ball movement, and I bet there isn't a team in the league more desperate for exactly the kind of tough play that Evans brings.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,427

Post#234 » by trwi7 » Fri Jan 2, 2009 4:44 am

That would be a sweet deal for us.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
eagle13
Head Coach

Post#235 » by eagle13 » Fri Jan 2, 2009 4:47 am

raferfenix wrote:With increasing evidence that Dalembert is on the block, I bet a deal like this is becoming more likely:

I don't think the Sixers would prefer Miller to Redd, especially with the Bucks taking on Reggie Evans. Miller just can't create his own shot like Redd can, and the Sixers need a scorer on the wing in a bad way. They have grown real high on Spleights and want him starting at center, but this deal might have to entail some way to beef up the Philly front court too. I think the Wolves are one of the most likely teams in the league to trade for Dalembert, as Mchale needs to do something to shake up that team if he wants to keep his job. Dalembert could be a long term fit next to Jefferson, and I think they compliment eachother real well considering how baldy Jefferson needs to play next to a good defender.

For us, we retain a lot of cap flexibility, but I think this deal would also help us on the court as well. Miller would be great for our ball movement, and I bet there isn't a team in the league more desperate for exactly the kind of tough play that Evans brings.

Nice. Think 6ers want more tho. Wolves do well. Maybe they and us each send a 2nd to Philly?

Agree Philly needs a big after this deal. Maybe we can give Elson for Green?
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,328

Post#236 » by El Duderino » Fri Jan 2, 2009 4:49 am

raferfenix wrote:With increasing evidence that Dalembert is on the block, I bet a deal like this is becoming more likely:

Wolves receive: Samuel Dalembert.

No offense to you or anyone of here rafer that likes to come up with all kinds of pretend trade scenarios, but i don't think any of the trades people come up with on here are "more likely"?

If anything does end up going down, i'd bet on it being a trade that nobody on here ever even considered, just like nearly every Bucks trade over the last 5 years or so.
raferfenix
RealGM
And1: 3,625

Post#237 » by raferfenix » Fri Jan 2, 2009 4:59 am

eagle13 wrote:

Nice. Think 6ers want more tho. Wolves do well. Maybe they and us each send a 2nd to Philly?

Agree Philly needs a big after this deal. Maybe we can give Elson for Green?

I brought it to the Philly board and they asked about CV. We would value his scoring a lot more following this deal, but I told them that I bet we'd give him up if the Wolves would send us Craig Smith. I bet the Wolves would prefer 2nd rounders to him after this deal, as they have far too many undersized PF's already. He'd be a real good fit here too, as like Evans he'd help with our toughness void.
eagle13
Head Coach

Post#238 » by eagle13 » Fri Jan 2, 2009 5:22 am

raferfenix wrote:I brought it to the Philly board and they asked about CV. We would value his scoring a lot more following this deal, but I told them that I bet we'd give him up if the Wolves would send us Craig Smith. I bet the Wolves would prefer 2nd rounders to him after this deal, as they have far too many undersized PF's already. He'd be a real good fit here too, as like Evans he'd help with our toughness void.

Yes CV would make it fair for Philly. And Smith for us = yes & MN would be open since now Love is reserve. But now MN needs a little more & to make it work Philly would have to send some salary to MN - maybe Green to help replace Miller?
power4wardjinx
Pro Prospect

Post#239 » by power4wardjinx » Fri Jan 2, 2009 5:22 am

paul wrote:
power4wardjinx wrote:
paul wrote:

Right, so the Detroit loss means any playoff appearance is going to be 'hollow' in your words, yet beating a better team on their home court means nothing because they are in the West? All you are doing is skewing the facts to fit your argument, no one is talking about cutting these guys any slack.

The Detroit loss, while demoralizing for us fans, was simply a case of the Bucks going beyond ice cold for a 10 minute stretch and getting one of the worst games of Redd's career, after which Skiles decided that it was worth taking a loss rather than attempting any type of comeback to use it as some sort of a teaching tool.
We then went to the house of a perennial contender with all of their stars firing and beat them, yet somehow you think the loss is far more significant than the win.
Like I said you are skewing the two results to show the glass being half empty, but someone else could just as credibly take the exact same two results and form an argument that we are a top 4 contender in the east. Potato, potarto.

Skiles doesn't think it's potato potato, necessarily. It was more than just going cold (that's Michael Redd's view based on his comments); Skiles' view was that they lacked energy and mental toughness in a game HE wanted. AND it's more than the Detroit game ... it goes back to the Utah and Philly games. Last night they were sloppy too ... bad tendencies and habits from the pre-Skiles era.
Anyway, the larger context is pretty well hashed out on my blog, for what it's worth.
Scoops
General Manager
And1: 267

Post#240 » by Scoops » Fri Jan 2, 2009 5:45 am

"Measuring stick games" are like omg super important, duh! If you look at the schedule, it says MSG next to the measuring stick games. San Antonio wasn't one of them so just disregard it of course.
Go Bucks!

Return to Milwaukee Bucks