ImageImage

The Bucks will NOT break luxury tax threshold in 09-10

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

GrandAdmiralDan
RealGM
And1: 1,291

Re: The Bucks will NOT break luxury tax threshold in 09-10 

Post#61 » by GrandAdmiralDan » Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:50 pm

eagle13 wrote:Well how bout clearing Redd?

Philly plays better w/o Brand and needs shooter. That won't change next offseason.
Both are injured but Redd only has 2 yrs - Philly must be a little bit nervous about Brand's 4 yrs.

Portland was interested in Amare a PF. Did not want to give Aldridge.
Blazers must do deal w/ LaFrentz to get any value b/c of Miles situation as we all know.
blazers might be concerned about Brand but what a steal if he comes back which he should.
They could get him for next year w/o disturbing this year's roster at all.

IF Bucks want/need straight salary dump?

Redd to Philly
Brand to Port
LaFrentz to Mil

checker accepted.
Sure Redd has much more value but this is a Camby-like move that allows us to resign our existing players & avoids lux tax.

Resign both Ramon & CV & keep RJ & Luke. Also resign Bogans.

Still trade Gadz & 1st to Wolves for Collins if possible. Then we also can use MLE.

Bogut / Elson / Allen
CV / M2 / halfMLE
RJ / M2 / JA
Bell / Bogans / halfMLE
Ramon / Luke / 2nd

Done.

As I've mentioned in another thread, I would be willing to throw in our 2009 1st (top 3 protected) and Joe Alexander as well to rid us of Redd. I think we would have to include those things here to get this done. Maybe even throw in $3 mil cash if necessary. Just get this done.
97-98
Nick Van Exel (LAL) on defending the Stockton-Malone pick-and-roll: "Yeah,
I got a way to defend it. Bring a bat to the game and kill one of them."
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,125

Post#62 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:59 pm

europa wrote:
paulpressey25 wrote:I don't think those guys trust CV. And Skiles doesn't like the defensive breakdowns he still has to deal with when CV is on the court.

He got yanked last night in the first quarter because of it.

He had just gotten hurt and went to the bench to get checked out. He was back in three minutes later.
pilprin
Pro Prospect
And1: 87

Post#63 » by pilprin » Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:00 pm

I am okay with not exceeding the Threshold.....provided that CV or Sessions do not walk without any compensation in return.

I'd try to trade Ridnaur, Rj, or C bell in that order to avaoid it and would be willing to add a 1st rounder if need be....but would hate to do it unless something of value comes back in return.
Sigra
RealGM
And1: 1,252

Post#64 » by Sigra » Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:01 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:
Maybe we can wish that RJ was told..."Play hard and we'll get a good deal for you" and he's got a decent RJ deal out there.

RJ plays hard all season long
europa
RealGM
And1: 471

Post#65 » by europa » Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:04 pm

Sigra wrote:
paulpressey25 wrote:
Maybe we can wish that RJ was told..."Play hard and we'll get a good deal for you" and he's got a decent RJ deal out there.

RJ plays hard all season long

Yup. He didn't always play as well as he was capable, but the guy has played hard from Day 1.
Nothing will not break me.
pilprin
Pro Prospect
And1: 87

Post#66 » by pilprin » Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:06 pm

How much do we need to shave off the present salaries?
aboveAverage
RealGM
And1: 2,611

Post#67 » by aboveAverage » Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:08 pm

Probably around 13-14 million
Sigra
RealGM

Post#68 » by Sigra » Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:10 pm

LUKE23 wrote:
I'd like to see the Bucks record without JUST Redd this season. My guess is it is over .500.

6-3
Sigra
RealGM

Post#69 » by Sigra » Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:19 pm

europa wrote: I haven't looked but do the Rockets have any decent-sized expirings?

Artest is expiring and they have chemistry problems so I hope for Ridnour-Artest trade
TheMachine
Junior
And1: 1

Post#70 » by TheMachine » Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:24 pm

GrandAdmiralDan wrote:

Philly plays better w/o Brand and needs shooter. That won't change next offseason.
Both are injured but Redd only has 2 yrs - Philly must be a little bit nervous about Brand's 4 yrs.

Blazers must do deal w/ LaFrentz to get any value b/c of Miles situation as we all know.
blazers might be concerned about Brand but what a steal if he comes back which he should.

Redd to Philly
Brand to Port
LaFrentz to Mil

checker accepted.
Sure Redd has much more value but this is a Camby-like move that allows us to resign our existing players & avoids lux tax.

Still trade Gadz & 1st to Wolves for Collins if possible. Then we also can use MLE.

Bogut / Elson / Allen
CV / M2 / halfMLE
RJ / M2 / JA
Bell / Bogans / halfMLE
Ramon / Luke / 2nd

Done.

As I've mentioned in another thread, I would be willing to throw in our 2009 1st (top 3 protected) and Joe Alexander as well to rid us of Redd. I think we would have to include those things here to get this done. Maybe even throw in $3 mil cash if necessary. Just get this done.

100% agree. Done, done, done. From a Bucks perspective this would be an absolute dream come true. Great thought. Too bad "dreams" like this rarely come true. Other than Redd agreeing to retire within the next 12 months, this would be the best scenario for Bucks.
JoeHova
Lead Assistant
And1: 61

Post#71 » by JoeHova » Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:27 pm

Sigra wrote:
europa wrote: I haven't looked but do the Rockets have any decent-sized expirings?

Artest is expiring and they have chemistry problems so I hope for Ridnour-Artest trade

That would help both teams now and allow the Bucks to save face if they're able to dump Jefferson for expirings. Too bad Ridnour is out because the Rockets need help now, as well as players who aren't injury prone.

The problem is that the Rockets will probably be looking to move Battier and McGrady before Artest. All 3 seems washed up, but all 3 have been injured a lot too so maybe they just haven't been healthy enough to play well this season. I expect the Rockets to make a move though, so if they aren't able to move Tracy or Shane, Ron probably (I would think) will be dealt.
"Look, if he sees me on his lawn waving a gun around, he's gonna pretend not to be home."
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,264

Post#72 » by LUKE23 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:30 pm

No one is taking Redd's contract. The insurance payouts won't be for an extended period of time, and Redd won't even be 100% when he does return to the court next year. He's got one of the worst contracts in the NBA right now.
jeremyd236
General Manager
And1: 16

Post#73 » by jeremyd236 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:46 pm

GrandAdmiralDan wrote:

Redd to Philly
Brand to Port
LaFrentz to Mil

checker accepted.

Bogut / Elson / Allen
CV / M2 / halfMLE
RJ / M2 / JA
Bell / Bogans / halfMLE
Ramon / Luke / 2nd

Done.

No way Portland does this. They've become an admirable franchise and have such a bright future by not making moves exactly like this one.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,173
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#74 » by Kerb Hohl » Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:47 pm

jeremyd236 wrote:
GrandAdmiralDan wrote:

Redd to Philly
Brand to Port
LaFrentz to Mil

checker accepted.

Bogut / Elson / Allen
CV / M2 / halfMLE
RJ / M2 / JA
Bell / Bogans / halfMLE
Ramon / Luke / 2nd

Done.

No way Portland does this. They've become an admirable franchise and have such a bright future by not making moves exactly like this one.

Right. So a free potential superstar that they have to wait a year on for a player that isn't doing them any good right now anyways. I'd do it if I were them.
InsideOut
Lead Assistant
And1: 534

Post#75 » by InsideOut » Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:49 pm

When deciding what to do we obviously need to factor in Luke, Redd and Bogut will be back next season and most likely the season after that. Session and CV play like this when those guys are out. Remember, when we were healthy these two guys were only playing 21 minutes a game. What is the point of giving CV 8 million a season if the odds are he's going right back to 12/6/1. Or look at Sessions. For the first 3 months of the season he was putting up 9/3/4. If you decide to go with these guys they need to be playing 35 minutes a game while Luke/Redd/RJ see their minutes cut. This is another reason it is so hard to rebuild while you try and win. Can we really these guys minutes to see what we have in Sessions and CV? If this team was blown up 2 years ago these two would have been playing full time and we'd have a much better idea of how good they'll be. Right now I feel it's more or less a guessing game. Both these guys have looked so bad and so good this season. .
EastSideBucksFan
RealGM
And1: 4,490

Post#76 » by EastSideBucksFan » Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:10 pm

I think everyone here is underestimating how bad the economic climate and 2010 free agent bonanza are going to impact this years free agents. Namely, I really don't think Hammond is taking too much of a risk holding both CV and Sessions going into this summer. I understand we need to clear something out, but for those who think CV could get 4YR/$40 you guys are way off base.

Mark Cuban agrees as well. And when the richest guy in the NBA with the deepest pockets feel this way, I imagine that other owners will have tight purse strings as well.

Mark Cuban is anticipating this summer's free agency period as much as is the 2010 class.

"In ’09, it could be a nuclear winter," said Cuban. "I think we’ll see a lot of guys, anticipating 2010 and also with an eye to a new collective-bargaining agreement, sign one-year deals. While everybody is clearing room for 2010, I’m looking for bargains for ’09. As people wait to make their move in 2010, there could be a lot of one-year deals."
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,173
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#77 » by Kerb Hohl » Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:12 pm

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachi ... eId=cmewme

Redd/Ridnour
for
Green/Evans/Miller

Probably not. But worth a shot.
europa
RealGM
And1: 471

Post#78 » by europa » Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:16 pm

EastSideBucksFan wrote:I think everyone here is underestimating how bad the economic climate and 2010 free agent bonanza are going to impact this years free agents. Namely, I really don't think Hammond is taking too much of a risk holding both CV and Sessions going into this summer. I understand we need to clear something out, but for those who think CV could get 4YR/$40 you guys are way off base.

Mark Cuban agrees as well. And when the richest guy in the NBA with the deepest pockets feel this way, I imagine that other owners will have tight purse strings as well.

Mark Cuban is anticipating this summer's free agency period as much as is the 2010 class.

"In ’09, it could be a nuclear winter," said Cuban. "I think we’ll see a lot of guys, anticipating 2010 and also with an eye to a new collective-bargaining agreement, sign one-year deals. While everybody is clearing room for 2010, I’m looking for bargains for ’09. As people wait to make their move in 2010, there could be a lot of one-year deals."

I agree. I've been pointing to what free agents encountered in baseball this winter. I think we could see something very similar in the NBA next summer.

I'll say again that I think Villanueva, in particular, might be better off taking the QO and then hoping to cash in after the 2009-10 season when more teams will have more money to spend.
Nothing will not break me.
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,264

Post#79 » by LUKE23 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:17 pm

I could see that happening as well, but more because of all the FA's available in 2010 than just the bad economic times right now. I think most teams are hoping to be players in one of the best FA classes in a while.

But even to take back CV at the QO we need to clear salary. CV at the QO is not that much different from CV at say the MLE ($1.5M difference).
smauss
Lead Assistant
And1: 419

Post#80 » by smauss » Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:39 pm

I started a thread about that quite a while ago that wasn't of much interest to folks. I referenced this year baseball FA's as well. While I do agree that the overall economic climate will negatively affect the NBA, it won't be nearly as significant namely because the NBA cap situation. The relationship of income to salary is less dynamic in a market that is not free.
"Too many people ask for help, and sometimes you have to help yourself." - Jerry Sloan (CBQ is missed)

simul justus et peccator

Return to Milwaukee Bucks