ImageImage

The Official Let's Talk 10th Pick (and 41st)

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

europa
RealGM
And1: 471

Re: The Official Let's Talk 10th Pick (and 41st) 

Post#81 » by europa » Wed May 20, 2009 2:41 pm

Debit One wrote:By the way, how sad is it that as Bucks fans our most exciting times of the year are discussing the results of the draft lottery, the draft itself, and what may or may not occur at the trade deadline?

Very sad. I hate being in the lottery every year. It sucks. I'd really like to see a playoff team again. I hope that happens next season.

And let me amend my statement - if the choice is staying at 10 and taking any of the following:

Clark
Blair
Lawson
Maynor
Flynn

I'd look into trading back. I'd be fine with Clark. Lawson and Maynor wouldn't be horrible but neither one really excites me. And I don't know if any of them will be great players so trading back might be something to consider - especially if the Bucks can include a decent-sized contract as part of the deal. I think the T'Wolves are a prime team to target.
Nothing will not break me.
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,273

Post#82 » by LUKE23 » Wed May 20, 2009 2:46 pm

If we're at 10 I'm looking DeRozan, then Holiday. If neither is there, then Lawson, then Clark. One of those four will be there. No interesting in Maynor or Flynn.
James1980
Veteran
And1: 402

Post#83 » by James1980 » Wed May 20, 2009 3:15 pm

A lot of you guys like undersized PFs like Milsap, Bass, and Maxiel yet you don't want to draft Blair at 10?
NotYoAvgNBAFan wrote:I overlook foolishness.
GopherIt!
RealGM
And1: 24,246

Post#84 » by GopherIt! » Wed May 20, 2009 3:18 pm

Hi Everyone, just to let you know we started a mock draft in the Draft Forum. It is currently the Raptors pick @ #9 but the Bucks are just around the corner. If someone wants to stop by and make a pick for your team we would appreciate your input.
Thanks!
-Gopher.

edit - the Bucks are on the clock!
Newz
Banned User
And1: 2,551

Post#85 » by Newz » Wed May 20, 2009 3:22 pm

James1980 wrote:A lot of you guys like undersized PFs like Milsap, Bass, and Maxiel yet you don't want to draft Blair at 10?

How many of those guys were drafted in the top 10? They are good role players that you try and add in the late first/second round and via free agency/trades. They are not someone you use a lottery pick on when you desperately need good young talent.

If we picked a guy at number ten and he turned out to be Bass or Maxiel, I wouldn't be very happy about it, because in the lottery you should be swinging for the fences.
James1980
Veteran

Post#86 » by James1980 » Wed May 20, 2009 3:38 pm

The last 2 years we swung for the fences and missed with JA and YI. This years draft isn't as strong, but could net a lot of good role players. I'd prefer DeRozan, Jennings, or Holiday, but if they are gone, I wouldn't mind Blair.
aboveAverage
RealGM
And1: 2,611

Post#87 » by aboveAverage » Wed May 20, 2009 6:02 pm

I think Earl Clark would fill the drafting for need aspect as well as the potential star aspect. I think we can't pass him up if he's still on the board.
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,273

Post#88 » by LUKE23 » Wed May 20, 2009 6:17 pm

aboveAverage wrote:I think Earl Clark would fill the drafting for need aspect as well as the potential star aspect. I think we can't pass him up if he's still on the board.

Yeah, I'd easily take him over Hill or Blair if we're going PF. He's more skilled than either of them, just not as consistent. Clark does remind me of Odom a bit. If DeRozan, Evans, Holiday are all gone, Clark would probably be my pick.
Sauce Boss
Assistant Coach
And1: 851

Post#89 » by Sauce Boss » Wed May 20, 2009 7:04 pm

James1980 wrote:A lot of you guys like undersized PFs like Milsap, Bass, and Maxiel yet you don't want to draft Blair at 10?

None were taken in the top ten now were they? Bass and Milsap were both 2nd round flyers and Maxiel was the 26th pick in his draft. Plus Blair is high weight and small height which reminds me of Tractor Traylor....you remember how that ended....

Someone said Ridnour and 10th for the 18? Ridnour is an expiring this year, so why would we give up a potential good deadline piece and solid role player with a lotto pick for the 18th pick? So we can resign Mr. Contract year Charlie V? Not happening.
Stephen Jackson wrote:"I got a video off the French Montana beat that I shot in the condo. The condo was laid, man. I had a gate with a key...Yeah, Milwaukee is a nice place but the team sucked."
Neapolitan Buck
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#90 » by Neapolitan Buck » Wed May 20, 2009 7:06 pm

I'd like Earl Clark, or Ty Lawson, because I love his toughness and speed, even if he's small. He has a nica jumpshot too and he has had a great assist/to ratio in the NCAA tournament (check out the numbers). He's kind of Chris Paul with less vision.
fam3381
General Manager
And1: 172

Post#91 » by fam3381 » Wed May 20, 2009 7:37 pm

LukePliska wrote:How many of those guys were drafted in the top 10? They are good role players that you try and add in the late first/second round and via free agency/trades. They are not someone you use a lottery pick on when you desperately need good young talent.

If we picked a guy at number ten and he turned out to be Bass or Maxiel, I wouldn't be very happy about it, because in the lottery you should be swinging for the fences.

It depends on whether you think Blair is Millsap or Bass/Maxiel...big difference IMO. Millsap showed with Boozer out that he's a lottery-caliber talent.
Retired Bucks blogger. Occasional Bucks podcaster.
Buck You
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 541

Post#92 » by Buck You » Wed May 20, 2009 7:42 pm

I want Derozan and that's basically it for me. I would be fine with Earl Clark too I guess.
James1980
Veteran

Post#93 » by James1980 » Wed May 20, 2009 7:44 pm

Slinky O wrote:None were taken in the top ten now were they? Bass and Milsap were both 2nd round flyers and Maxiel was the 26th pick in his draft. Plus Blair is high weight and small height which reminds me of Tractor Traylor....you remember how that ended....

I bet if Bass and Milsap's drafts were done over, they would go higher, maybe Maxiel too. Plus, I am assuming those drafts were stronger as this draft is perceived as weak with one eastern conference gm saying the worst draft ever. That being said, you can get some good role players in this draft that is why
James1980 wrote: I'd prefer DeRozan, Jennings, or Holiday, but if they are gone, I wouldn't mind Blair.

Blair has a similar build to Tractor, but Blair is a better rebounder (12.3 v.10.1 their last years in college) and I'm told rebounding translates well from college to the nba.
Sauce Boss
Assistant Coach

Post#94 » by Sauce Boss » Wed May 20, 2009 8:00 pm

I think if you re did those drafts only Milsap would go higher, but you also have to consider coaching and surroundings as well. I mean would Milsap be as good as a top 5 pick and going to a crappy team then going to Utah where he had Sloan teaching him and was able to pick the minds of Okur, Boozer, and AK of what to do? I think Blair is good, just not lotto good. Plus if you find Bass, Milsap, and Maxiel in later rounds we should look for that kind of player in the 2nd round. Heck, we may already have that player in Luc if we plan to play him at PF (though I think his home is SF). Right now I think I'd go Holiday at 10 and a hustler player like a Milsap in the second.
Stephen Jackson wrote:"I got a video off the French Montana beat that I shot in the condo. The condo was laid, man. I had a gate with a key...Yeah, Milwaukee is a nice place but the team sucked."
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,344

Post#95 » by crkone » Wed May 20, 2009 8:04 pm

I believe that these guys have to show what they are made of as freshmen in college if we are to believe they will be productive as nba players. Its nice that guys looks good against weaker or more inexperienced competition but it won't help in the NBA. We went for Boom or Bust these past two years and got garbage. I think its time to go for someone that you know will contribute. Blair will do that as it looks like he has the opposite of gator arms. Jonny Flynn should contribute also since he has been taking it to the big east for two years. Those are just two examples since people here write them off. I don't like Earl Clark since he didn't seem to play to his potential at LU.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
fam3381
General Manager
And1: 172

Post#96 » by fam3381 » Wed May 20, 2009 8:18 pm

Slinky O wrote:I think if you re did those drafts only Milsap would go higher, but you also have to consider coaching and surroundings as well. I mean would Milsap be as good as a top 5 pick and going to a crappy team then going to Utah where he had Sloan teaching him and was able to pick the minds of Okur, Boozer, and AK of what to do?

Considering that Bargs, Morrison, Tyrus Thomas, Shelden Williams, Patrick O'Bryant, Saer Sene, JJ Redick, Hilton Armstrong, Sefalosha, and Cedric Simmons were all lotto picks the year Millsap went 48th, I don't think there's any doubt Millsap would have been a lottery pick. Good coaching never hurts, but Millsap has been productive from day one. It's not like they developed him from a crappy prospect into a legit player.

Slinky O wrote:Right now I think I'd go Holiday at 10 and a hustler player like a Milsap in the second.

Getting a guy like Millsap or LRMAM in the second is so much easier said than done.
Retired Bucks blogger. Occasional Bucks podcaster.
Sauce Boss
Assistant Coach

Post#97 » by Sauce Boss » Wed May 20, 2009 8:39 pm

Shelden Williams rookie year: 5.5 pts and 5.4 reb pg
Paul Millsap rookie year: 6.8 pts and 5.2 reb pg
just as rough stats thats not that far off. But Williams was a high pick and Millsap a low pick so it is a big difference. If Williams averaged that as a second round pick for Utah and Millsap averaged that as a top tier pick for Atlanta we may be defending Williams right now.
I just think that Blair isn't the guy at 10, would you still defend him if he averaged 5.5 pts and 5.4 reb as a top 10 pick and per say Taj Gibson averaged 6.8 and 5.2 as a mid second rounder?
heynow
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Post#98 » by heynow » Wed May 20, 2009 8:46 pm

Lippo wrote:derozzan or evans.. we need a 2 to replace redd after hes traded as an expiring next year.

I will bet you a steak dinner of your choice against a bottle of Pyrat Rum that Michael Redd will not be traded and that he will be in the starting lineup on opening night.

The owner likes Redd (good Christian, high moral character, former Olympian).
Redd isn't going anywhere.
smauss
Lead Assistant
And1: 422

Post#99 » by smauss » Wed May 20, 2009 8:50 pm

fam3381 wrote:
Slinky O wrote:I think if you re did those drafts only Milsap would go higher, but you also have to consider coaching and surroundings as well. I mean would Milsap be as good as a top 5 pick and going to a crappy team then going to Utah where he had Sloan teaching him and was able to pick the minds of Okur, Boozer, and AK of what to do?

Considering that Bargs, Morrison, Tyrus Thomas, Shelden Williams, Patrick O'Bryant, Saer Sene, JJ Redick, Hilton Armstrong, Sefalosha, and Cedric Simmons were all lotto picks the year Millsap went 48th, I don't think there's any doubt Millsap would have been a lottery pick. Good coaching never hurts, but Millsap has been productive from day one. It's not like they developed him from a crappy prospect into a legit player.

Slinky O wrote:Right now I think I'd go Holiday at 10 and a hustler player like a Milsap in the second.

Getting a guy like Millsap or LRMAM in the second is so much easier said than done.

I also think that there has been somewhat of a stereotype of what folks believe a 4 should be. A tall lean athletic guy who can stretch the defense by hitting 3's. It seems everyone who came close to that was selected really high. The Raps taking CV where they did is an example. I think that stereotype is starting to fade a bit with the likes of Milsap, Landry, Bass, Maxiell, and West. Like everything else, the pendullam (sp?) swings from one extreme to the other.
"Too many people ask for help, and sometimes you have to help yourself." - Jerry Sloan (CBQ is missed)

simul justus et peccator
Sauce Boss
Assistant Coach

Post#100 » by Sauce Boss » Wed May 20, 2009 8:56 pm

smauss wrote:
fam3381 wrote:

I also think that there has been somewhat of a stereotype of what folks believe a 4 should be. A tall lean athletic guy who can stretch the defense by hitting 3's. It seems everyone who came close to that was selected really high. The Raps taking CV where they did is an example. I think that stereotype is starting to fade a bit with the likes of Milsap, Landry, Bass, Maxiell, and West. Like everything else, the pendullam (sp?) swings from one extreme to the other.

I agree, we are under valueing smaller guys. I do really like Landry and the players that offer that scrappy mentality. I just don't want to settle on scrappy instead of star potential with a top 10 pick. Like I'd be cool with Blair somewhere between 15-20, I just don't want to reach on him. Like I said before I like Holiday and the fact that he is right handed and can shoot three range left handed, which i think is quite impressive.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks