ImageImage

Washington Post: RJ A "Great" Option For The Wizards

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

europa
RealGM
And1: 471

Washington Post: RJ A "Great" Option For The Wizards 

Post#1 » by europa » Wed Jun 3, 2009 2:33 pm

This is just a beat writer's opinion. That's important to remember. But the rumors are strong that the Wizards want to trade the fifth pick and a veteran wing scorer is at the top of their wish list. Both RJ and Redd have been listed as trade possibilities.

Again, this may simply be one writer's opinion. So ultimately, it might not mean anything. But I do think it's interesting that RJ and Redd are both generating a lot of discussion from the Washington media heading into the draft. At the very least, something might be here for Hammond to explore since the Wizards not only have the fifth pick but two quality expirings in Thomas and James that would be of value to the Bucks.

Washington, D.C.: Mike, it is worrying, as mentioned above, that picks 3-5 aren't that attractive (there's a reason we'd want to trade them). However, from what's being reported elsewhere it seems that problem may be canceled out by teams desperate to shed salary (Michael Redd, Vince Carter, Richard Jefferson). Is that correct? Do you think those guys would make a big difference for the Wizards?

Michael Lee: I wrote last week that I thought Richard Jefferson would be a great guy to add, because he can play two positions, he defends and he always has a great relationship with the star, Gilbert Arenas. but he makes $29 million over the next two seasons. If the Wizards trade the pick, they will likely get a borderline all-star player and Jefferson fits the bill.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 02917.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nothing will not break me.
paul
RealGM
And1: 1,038

Re: Washington Post: RJ A "Great" Option For The Wizards 

Post#2 » by paul » Wed Jun 3, 2009 2:45 pm

I actually think RJ's a decent fit for the Bucks unlike many apparently, but that's neither here nor there.

Salary relief is one thing, but if we take back a lot of salary and make a move like this to specifically go after pick 5 I'll be interested to see what we do with it, and not terribly impressed if we then just make the pick. I'm less impressed with the prospects in that range than most.
On the other hand having the #5 and #10 picks could certainly bring us something extremely positive in return if we were to move them both together, food for thought I suppose.

Personally I hope the Wizards turn their attention to Mike Redd rather than RJ. I do find it fascinating though that this guy at least is suggesting that RJ might be worth pick 5, again something that most on here I assume will disagree with.
James1980
Veteran
And1: 366

Post#3 » by James1980 » Wed Jun 3, 2009 2:54 pm

Would it be Mike James, Etan Thomas, and the 5th pick for RJ? Sign me up.
NotYoAvgNBAFan wrote:I overlook foolishness.
europa
RealGM

Post#4 » by europa » Wed Jun 3, 2009 2:55 pm

I'd make the same offer including RJ that I'd offer the Wizards involving Redd - RJ for Thomas/James/5.

Dealing Redd would be better from a savings perspective. I think the Bucks would actually bring back more salary in a deal involving RJ once the 5th pick was included. But either way, you add a quality player (I'd only make this offer if Harden was on the board at 5) and remove salary for the summer of 2010.

If Hammond was able to move RJ or Redd to get Harden, not screw up the 10th pick and shave salary in a Ridnour move I'd say he did pretty well on draft night.
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,213

Post#5 » by LUKE23 » Wed Jun 3, 2009 2:58 pm

I'd trade either for #5. The one question no one has yet answered in the other related threads on this topic is how do the Wizards pay Redd or RJ and Arenas/Butler/Jamison and still fill out a roster under the lux tax (it has been reported they do not want to be over)?

Those expecting a deal like this are going to be disappointed on draft night.
Baddy Chuck
RealGM
And1: 22,615

Post#6 » by Baddy Chuck » Wed Jun 3, 2009 3:00 pm

If we somehow got #5 for Jefferson we'd be taking of Songaila and Stevenson for sure.
John Henson wrote:This lady just asked me who I play for and I said the Milwaukee Bucks, she quickly replied “oh the highschool across the street?”
LUKE23
RealGM

Post#7 » by LUKE23 » Wed Jun 3, 2009 3:01 pm

RingtheBell wrote:If we somehow got #5 for Jefferson we'd be taking of Songaila and Stevenson for sure.

Yep, we're for sure taking on a long-term deal if we do this.
europa
RealGM

Post#8 » by europa » Wed Jun 3, 2009 3:02 pm

Polian may be prepared to pay the tax. If the Wizards are looking at trading the 5th pick for guys like Terry, Howard, RJ or maybe Redd then that may be the deal. There are rumors (and yes that's all they are right now) coming from a number of different places saying the Wizards want to deal the pick for a high-priced proven scorer. Maybe nothing happens but the last time Grunfeld had the fifth pick he traded it. I think when you combine Polian's health and the pressure on Grunfeld to get the Wizards back into the playoffs and (at least in the eyes of management) try and contend a deal involving the Wizards and a veteran player is a good bet to make for draft night. It may not involve the Bucks, but it sure looks like a good bet to happen.

If the Wizards are looking for proven high-priced scorers, Hammond absolutely needs to be talking to Grunfeld about Redd and RJ.
europa
RealGM

Post#9 » by europa » Wed Jun 3, 2009 3:04 pm

LUKE23 wrote:
RingtheBell wrote:If we somehow got #5 for Jefferson we'd be taking of Songaila and Stevenson for sure.

Maybe, maybe not. The rumor involving the Mavs indicated Thomas, James and 5 is what the Wizards would deal for Howard or Terry.
LUKE23
RealGM

Post#10 » by LUKE23 » Wed Jun 3, 2009 3:05 pm

europa wrote:Polian may be prepared to pay the tax. If the Wizards are looking at trading the 5th pick for guys like Terry, Howard, RJ or maybe Redd then that may be the deal. There are rumors (and yes that's all they are right now) coming from a number of different places saying the Wizards want to deal the pick for a high-priced proven scorer. Maybe nothing happens but the last time Grunfeld had the fifth pick he traded it. I think when you combine Polian's health and the pressure on Grunfeld to get the Wizards back into the playoffs and (at least in the eyes of management) try and contend a deal involving the Wizards and a veteran player is a good bet to make for draft night. It may not involve the Bucks, but it sure looks like a good bet to happen.

If the Wizards are looking for proven high-priced scorers, Hammond absolutely needs to be talking to Grunfeld about Redd and RJ.

It's been reported several places they don't want to pay the tax. I doubt they are going to go over for non-star players in Michael Redd or RJ.

If they did do this deal, the Bucks are taking back a long-term salary too. We're not going to get #5 and expirings for either Redd or RJ.
europa
RealGM

Post#11 » by europa » Wed Jun 3, 2009 3:07 pm

It's also been reported that the Wizards could trade James/Thomas/5 for Howard or Terry. If they're thinking of doing that with the Mavs, then it's safe to say they'd consider the same offer for RJ or Redd if one or both of those were players they also had interest in.

The good news here is the Wizards are reportedly looking to sell and they want what the Bucks have to offer plus they also have the expirings Milwaukee need to go with the talent. It's a great potential draft day marriage since it addresses what both teams appear to be looking for.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,155
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#12 » by Kerb Hohl » Wed Jun 3, 2009 3:08 pm

I wouldn't get picky on RJ or Redd. To me, even though let's say you think RJ is a better fit here, you can't get picky.

It is pretty much a guarantee that neither of the guys will be here the next time this team is a contender so anything you can get back that speeds up the process of rebuilding should be jumped at.
LUKE23
RealGM

Post#13 » by LUKE23 » Wed Jun 3, 2009 3:09 pm

I think Redd and RJ are getting overrated here. Either for #5 and expirings would be a fleecing of epic proportions by Hammond. I won't be getting my hopes up, especially when Hammond apparently doesn't view Redd and RJ's contracts as issues on this team.
Baddy Chuck
RealGM
And1: 22,615

Post#14 » by Baddy Chuck » Wed Jun 3, 2009 3:10 pm

europa wrote:
LUKE23 wrote:

Maybe, maybe not. The rumor involving the Mavs indicated Thomas, James and 5 is what the Wizards would deal for Howard or Terry.

And this was where? The one on nbadraft.net (where it started I believe) is

Washington trade 5. draft pick (Jordan Hill or James Harden) + Antawn Jamison, DeShawn Stevenson and Darius Songaila

Dallas trade 22. draft pick + Josh Howard, Antoine Wright and Jerry Stackhouse (expiring contract!)

Heck of a lot better then Jefferson
John Henson wrote:This lady just asked me who I play for and I said the Milwaukee Bucks, she quickly replied “oh the highschool across the street?”
LUKE23
RealGM

Post#15 » by LUKE23 » Wed Jun 3, 2009 3:10 pm

It is pretty much a guarantee that neither of the guys will be here the next time this team is a contender so anything you can get back that speeds up the process of rebuilding should be jumped at.

You can change "pretty much is" to "is".
europa
RealGM

Post#16 » by europa » Wed Jun 3, 2009 3:12 pm

LUKE23 wrote:I think Redd and RJ are getting overrated here.

I disagree. I've been posting info that's coming from Washington media. They are the ones mentioning RJ (now several times) and Redd. They're the ones who want those guys. That's very important to remember. Again, it could just be one beat writer speculating or maybe the Post is like the J/S and they only speculate on players based on info they get from Grunfeld and Wizards' front office folks.

Maybe nothing happens but the bottom line is the Wizards are reportedly looking to sell and they reportedly want what the Bucks have to offer (a high priced proven wing scorer). There is enough info out there in my opinion for Hammond to start becoming very chummy with Ernie Grunfeld.
Badgerlander
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#17 » by Badgerlander » Wed Jun 3, 2009 3:12 pm

I wouldn't even hesitate to trade Redd for the pick. I guess in the ideal world then if you get Harden or Hill and Flynn, plus a PF or SG (opposite Harden or Hill) in the second round we would be pretty solid. Trading RJ gets fuzzier, Thomas + James = 13.1mil and RJ is 13.2, add in the pick and we are adding salary, so we would have to include Allen at a minimum, etc. If we are unable to get Harden and if Redd struggles to return we have no 3pt shooting. Of course we could go after Clark and Hill but then we still go into lux tax to resign Sessions. I am all for dumping our big contracts and going young, the endless possibilities are very interesting.
Shoot, Move, and Communicate...

Spoiler:

I'm just here for my own amusement,"don't take offense at my innuendo..."

Countless waze, we pass the daze...

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
europa
RealGM

Post#18 » by europa » Wed Jun 3, 2009 3:14 pm

DocHoliday wrote:I wouldn't even hesitate to trade Redd for the pick. I guess in the ideal world then if you get Harden or Hill and Flynn, plus a PF or SG (opposite Harden or Hill) in the second round we would be pretty solid. Trading RJ gets fuzzier, Thomas + James = 13.1mil and RJ is 13.2, add in the pick and we are adding salary, so we would have to include Allen at a minimum, etc. If we are unable to get Harden and if Redd struggles to return we have no 3pt shooting. Of course we could go after Clark and Hill but then we still go into lux tax to resign Sessions. I am all for dumping our big contracts and going young, the endless possibilities are very interesting.

Don't forget the Bucks don't have to be under the tax when the season begins. They could go over it to re-sign Sessions and then (if this trade happened) dangle two expirings of quality value (James and Thomas) at the deadline to get under the tax.
LUKE23
RealGM

Post#19 » by LUKE23 » Wed Jun 3, 2009 3:14 pm

I don't care if it's coming from the Washington media until a legit rumor is mentioned about the two teams. One writer's speculation doesn't not count as that. When I see Redd or RJ's names mentioned in a rumor piece, then I will get excited.
paul
RealGM
And1: 1,038

Post#20 » by paul » Wed Jun 3, 2009 3:16 pm

LUKE23 wrote:Either for #5 and expirings would be a fleecing of epic proportions by Hammond.

This was the point I was trying to make, if we have to take back equal long term salary to get the #5 then I'm not particularly interested unless it is then used in another deal, in particular with reference to RJ who I still value as a member of this team moving forward.
If we did get it however and then packaged it with the #10 we could potentially bring some real quality back in return by way of another trade.

If a deal was there for Redd in exchange for the #5 and expirings I'd be all over it like a rash, but it won't be imo. Like I said, food for thought I guess.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks