ImageImage

Washington Post: RJ A "Great" Option For The Wizards

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

fam3381
General Manager
And1: 172

Re: Washington Post: RJ A "Great" Option For The Wizards 

Post#101 » by fam3381 » Wed Jun 3, 2009 10:15 pm

I didn't see it mentioned elsewhere, but the #5 pick works out to be $3.27 million with a 120% scale figure, so for instance:

Thomas/James/#5 adds $17.09 million
Songaila/James/#5 adds $14.26 million

The first number is about even with Redd's salary, but $2.7 million more than RJ's. The second is even with RJ's, and saves you almost $3 million on Redd. You'd be adding 3 for 1 of course, but then you'd have to send some guys out or deal one of our other picks to accommodate the number of roster spots available. Swapping the #5 and 10 picks adds about $1.1 million in terms of salary differential in 09/10.

The problem is that the 1st rounder wouldn't have a value for trade purposes, so my quick math says Songaila/James/#5 doesn't ship enough salary to the Bucks to even get RJ straight up. The Thomas/James/#5 deal could be done for either Redd or RJ.
Retired Bucks blogger. Occasional Bucks podcaster.
Dobber-16
Assistant Coach
And1: 439

Post#102 » by Dobber-16 » Thu Jun 4, 2009 12:00 am

DH34Phan wrote:
Bernman wrote:
DH34Phan wrote:I would give them future #1s to get rid of Redd or RJ to get this deal done.

I hope you're not serious

If it was RJ or Redd+2010 1st for #5+Thomas+James+Stevenson, then yes I would do it. If the 2010 1st was the thing that needed to get it done, I would.

Are you really serious? Are the Bucks on a championship run? The Bucks will be in the lottery again next year.
GHOSTofSIKMA wrote: all you guys bitching sound like fixed income grandmas at the grocery store.
Bucksfans1and2
Banned User
And1: 189

Post#103 » by Bucksfans1and2 » Thu Jun 4, 2009 12:12 am

Wow! just checked out the Wizards salary. Gilbert Arenas making 100 Mil the next 6 years. I thought Redd and Gadz were bad. Did Arenas even play this year? Is he out of the league?

BF2
pasting_monkeys
Starter
And1: 1

Post#104 » by pasting_monkeys » Thu Jun 4, 2009 12:21 am

paulpressey25 wrote:
LUKE23 wrote:Wow would that be a HORRENDOUS trade for the TWolves.

We debated this in another thread last week. This situation plays into the Bucks hands to trade Ridnour to the T-Wolves.

Ridnour is about 75% the player Hinrich is. Not as good. But similar type guy. Veteran, coachable, etc. We'd give him up for only cap space. His contract expires at $6.5mm.

Kirk has three years and $27 million left and if this rumor is true, the Bulls want the 6th pick for him.

I'd take Ridnour to be that veteran stopgap PG over Hinrich all day long under those circumstances.

There's no way that the Wolves would take Ridnour. The reason they're going after Hinrich is because he can defend the 1 and 2 spots. They want a PG/SG that they can pair with Randy Foye, one who has the size and strength to defend the 2 spot, while Foye defends the 1.

Ridnour doesn't fit the bill. Even though Hinrich isn't the player he used to be, if you factor in his defense, he's still 3 times the player Ridnour is.
worthlessBucks
RealGM
And1: 4,833

Post#105 » by worthlessBucks » Thu Jun 4, 2009 12:47 am

That Bulls/Wolves rumor has been floating around for a few days, I think it is pretty ludacris and there should be no way Minny even considers it. Complete pipe dream from the Bulls perspective.

As for the Wizards, I have to imagine they could walk away with an Amare or even a Bosh if both teams are indeed shopping their players. Especially true given the assets of a Nick Young, a #5, a McGee, or Blatche. They would laugh at us.
Go Bucks!
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,591

Post#106 » by Bernman » Thu Jun 4, 2009 1:33 am

Bucksfans1and2 wrote:Wow! just checked out the Wizards salary. Gilbert Arenas making 100 Mil the next 6 years. I thought Redd and Gadz were bad. Did Arenas even play this year? Is he out of the league?

BF2

He's actually making 111 million....but I guess you were just rounding down to the nearest hundred million.

Thankfully for the Wizards he took a discount out of the goodness of his heart, otherwise THEN they'd regret it. Now, Agent Zero may end up regretting his goodness when he retires. How is he supposed to feed his kids on 111 million?

At least he has never agreeing to live in southeastern Wisconsin working in his favor. Because the shopper's paradise that is littered with a plethora of outlet stores like Allen Edmunds and Nike would make that money disappear in no time, causing his house to be foreclosed like Spree and Screech.

Dobber-16 wrote:Are you really serious? Are the Bucks on a championship run? The Bucks will be in the lottery again next year.

I know right. We'd be horrible due to trading a veteran for a draft pick and allowing our free agents to walk. Which wouldn't be such a bad thing because the silver lining is a high pick in a great draft. Oh wait, we wouldn't even be able to take advantage of that since we threw it away like some kind of garbage in this scenario. :-?

fam3381 wrote:I didn't see it mentioned elsewhere, but the #5 pick works out to be $3.27 million with a 120% scale figure

I implied it by omission.....but it wasn't very clear. One of the benefits of most of the proposed trades were not shedding salary in the interim, although I think it was wrongfully alluded to by others in this thread, because like you said the pick counts as salary for luxury tax purposes, it just doesn't carry a cap number.

However, if we executed the pick swapping deal, and added CB42 and McGuire to it, it would shrink the payroll somewhat for 2010.

#5/Thomas/James/McGuire for Jefferson/#10/Bell........

I think is a competitive offer and sheds 3.06 million dollars of salary immediately by my calculations.
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,328

Post#107 » by El Duderino » Thu Jun 4, 2009 2:17 am

No way i'd do trades mentioned here for Jefferson if i was the Wiz. Not only isn't Jefferson worth it as a player, he plays the same position as Butler. If Redd was healthy, i guess they might somewhat consider a deal, but he's not. Hell, if i was Grunfeld, i'd just draft Harden if he was there at the 5th spot.

Trading either guy and getting a top 5 pick would be beyond outstanding, but come the start of the season, i expect both Redd/RJ to be in the starting lineup.
midranger
RealGM
And1: 10,173

Post#108 » by midranger » Thu Jun 4, 2009 2:19 am

McGuire is no throw in. He's a top-60 player by one respected statistical metric.

Very productive.
Please reconsider your animal consumption.
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,328

Post#109 » by El Duderino » Thu Jun 4, 2009 2:21 am

He's actually making 111 million....but I guess you were just rounding down to the nearest hundred million.

Thankfully for the Wizards he took a discount out of the goodness of his heart, otherwise THEN they'd regret it. Now, Agent Zero may end up regretting his goodness when he retires. How is he supposed to feed his kids on 111 million?

I still can't wrap my brain around that contract, just stunningly stupid. That contract is going to be like Redd's with the Bucks, a long term ball and chain around the ankle of their franchise.
midranger
RealGM

Post#110 » by midranger » Thu Jun 4, 2009 2:25 am

Not to pick on you europa, but I keep seeing you say "if Grunfeld believes Redd is healthy..." I'm unsure how much Ernie's belief in the matter counts. The simple fact is that Redd is not healthy nor will he be by draft night. He would fail his physical. Now, the Wiz may be so foolish to waive the physical *cough* Arenas *cough*, but I'm guessing they've learned their lesson with that fiasco.
midranger
RealGM

Post#111 » by midranger » Thu Jun 4, 2009 2:27 am

El Duderino wrote:

I still can't wrap my brain around that contract, just stunningly stupid. That contract is going to be like Redd's with the Bucks, a long term ball and chain around the ankle of their franchise.

Not for one moment did that contract make an ounce of sense. Said it at the time, and Wiz fans will be saying for the rest of eternity.
europa
RealGM
And1: 471

Post#112 » by europa » Thu Jun 4, 2009 2:35 am

midranger wrote:Not to pick on you europa, but I keep seeing you say "if Grunfeld believes Redd is healthy..." I'm unsure how much Ernie's belief in the matter counts. The simple fact is that Redd is not healthy nor will he be by draft night. He would fail his physical. Now, the Wiz may be so foolish to waive the physical *cough* Arenas *cough*, but I'm guessing they've learned their lesson with that fiasco.

I don't expect Redd to be traded this summer but plenty of crazy things happen in this league all the time. So I'm not going to rule anything out. And given what Ernie reportedly is looking for, a healthy Michael Redd certainly fits the bill, arguably as well or better than anyone who might be available. Would Ernie gamble on Redd's health and make that draft day deal? I wouldn't bet on it but like I said, crazy things happen in this league all the time so who knows. I think RJ's a better bet to be traded this summer no matter what and if Josh Howard is in play for the 5th pick than RJ is very viable as an option for Washington in my opinion.
Nothing will not break me.
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,272

Post#113 » by LUKE23 » Thu Jun 4, 2009 2:40 am

I will be shocked if we get anything of value talent-wise for RJ after the season he just had.
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,591

Post#114 » by Bernman » Thu Jun 4, 2009 2:40 am

El Duderino wrote:No way i'd do trades mentioned here for Jefferson if i was the Wiz. Not only isn't Jefferson worth it as a player, he plays the same position as Butler. If Redd was healthy, i guess they might somewhat consider a deal, but he's not. Hell, if i was Grunfeld, i'd just draft Harden if he was there at the 5th spot.

Trading either guy and getting a top 5 pick would be beyond outstanding, but come the start of the season, i expect both Redd/RJ to be in the starting lineup.

Fact, RJ was better at the shooting guard position each of the last two years:

'08-09

SG: 20.9 OWN PER/13.4 OPP PER = + 7.5 differential
SF: 16.2 OWN PER/12.8 OPP PER = + 3.4 differential

'07-08

SG: 23.2 OWN PER/8.4 OPP PER = +14.8 differential
SF: 19 OWN PER/17.9 OPP PER = +1.1 differential

The sample is not huge, but statistically significant enough (590 minutes). So I think he can play shooting guard just fine.

midranger wrote:McGuire is no throw in. He's a top-60 player by one respected statistical metric.

Very productive.

His PER differential is -6.7. I couldn't verify which one is closer to be accurate because I have seen him play a minuscule amount. But I'd assume PER differential because it seems to produce a lot less statistical anomalies than Berri and I highly doubt he's anywhere close to a top 60 player.

If McGuire is too precious, I'd accept the lesser savings that would accompany Pecherov. The savings then would be around a million and a half.
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
bigballajohn
Senior
And1: 21

Post#115 » by bigballajohn » Thu Jun 4, 2009 2:47 am

if it is thomas, james and the 5th for RJ, then we draft hill with the pick. if it is redd, then we take harden. simple enough, right? hopefully, not even hammond could mess this up
VooDoo7 wrote:
emunney wrote:A horse walks into a bar. It turns to Mason Plumlee and says, "Why the long face?"

Frank the Tank scoffs at both of them.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,930

Post#116 » by emunney » Thu Jun 4, 2009 3:10 am

Not following your logic, bigballajohn. Fill me in.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
midranger
RealGM

Post#117 » by midranger » Thu Jun 4, 2009 3:26 am

Bernman wrote:
midranger wrote:McGuire is no throw in. He's a top-60 player by one respected statistical metric.

Very productive.

His PER differential is -6.7. I couldn't verify which one is closer to be accurate because I have seen him play a minuscule amount. But I'd assume PER differential because it seems to produce a lot less statistical anomalies than Berri and I highly doubt he's anywhere close to a top 60 player.

If McGuire is too precious, I'd accept the lesser savings that would accompany Pecherov. The savings then would be around a million and a half.

I guess I needed green font. It wasn't PER.

http://www.wagesofwins.com/Top152009.html
BDUB_30
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#118 » by BDUB_30 » Thu Jun 4, 2009 5:43 am

Man this would be a dream come true .

This could be classic addition via subtraction at the 3 spot . I want nothing more then to see moute get 32-40 minuts of burn their . Their were so many moments last year when Moute was NOT on the floor we were lost defensivly . I much prefer him at the 3 because i feel his permiter defense is his best asset and hes not doing a whole lot of defending of the permiter at the 4.

So if this went down , as much as i respect RJ , i dont think we lose a whole lot at the 3 especialy if moute improves a bit with his midrange game . We can HOPEFULLY secure hill and still be in position to possibly take flynn AND have a bit of money to bring ersan over ??? Or maybe resign Sessions and see if he can replace ridnour so we can cash in on the ridnour expiring at the deadline ? This would be a great move for the bucks . I dont think the wiz do this though but i dont think its a 100% impossible as some are suggesting ...Id say this deal IS a possibility , just a very...VERY weak one ..

I agree with Europa , Grunfeld has to be getting desperate , but is he this desperate ? I cant say enough how most gm's feel about the draft .. their is no guarentees . Trading the 5th pick in this draft for RJ could turn out to be a very good move for the wiz because its not UNHEARD of to get a bust even with the 5th pick . If they dont want to game , which im sorry , but the draft IS a gamble .. then grabbing a vet is a good move for them .

We just drafted a dude with the 8th pick that couldnt even beat ME in a game of one on one .. and dont give me this **** it was the bucks . The best player in basketball said JA was going to be a very great player (Kobe)I .. Reggie Miller loved JA at 8 ... Point being , you CAN easily miss in the draft .. we all know this . I think luke and some of these other guys give draft picks a bit to much value .. WIthout a doubt carry weight , but it is a gamble
raferfenix
RealGM
And1: 3,633

Post#119 » by raferfenix » Thu Jun 4, 2009 6:50 am

I'm surprised there is so little talk about Songaila as I'm thinking it's real likely he'd be in the deal. Of course I wish we could only get ending contracts, but I bet we'd take on his extra 2 years if Ernie made us (and he just might know this).

If we make this move we're not going to be perilously close to the luxuary tax anyways, and we could use the help at PF too. Our 2011 cap dump plan still works out too.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,431

Post#120 » by trwi7 » Thu Jun 4, 2009 6:55 am

Songaila as help at PF? Ugh.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks