ImageImage

Decision on Ersan to come before July 15th

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

jordanhill43
Banned User
And1: 0

Decision on Ersan to come before July 15th 

Post#1 » by jordanhill43 » Fri Jul 3, 2009 12:46 am

As most on here know, Ersan has the option in his contract of joining the NBA after each season he's played with Barcelona. Last summer I recall seeing that he had until July 15th to pick up his option with Barcelona, in which he decided to stay with them and sign an additional optional year.

Well here's an article from a Spanish website indicating the same is true this season, that July 15th is when Ersan has til to decide to stay with Barcelona or return to the NBA

http://www.elmundodeportivo.es/gen/2009 ... -aire.html
europa
RealGM
And1: 471

Re: Decision on Ersan to come before July 15th 

Post#2 » by europa » Fri Jul 3, 2009 12:49 am

Good. Ilyasova has to decide by the 15th and so does Childress. I like these early deadlines. No sense waiting around for this stuff.
Nothing will not break me.
carmelbrownqueen
RealGM
And1: 42

Post#3 » by carmelbrownqueen » Fri Jul 3, 2009 12:51 am

Looks like there is a strong possibility that Ersan will be in a Bucks uni this season.
"Too many people ask for help, and sometimes you have to help yourself." - Jerry Sloan

"We don't accept anything but winning. We don't accept anything but playing hard." - John Hammond
europa
RealGM

Post#4 » by europa » Fri Jul 3, 2009 12:52 am

carmelbrownqueen wrote:Looks like there is a strong possibility that Ersan will be in a Bucks uni this season.

Now the question is what kind of deal will he get? I'm hoping it's for about $2M a year. No more than $3M.
EastSideBucksFan
RealGM
And1: 4,490

Post#5 » by EastSideBucksFan » Fri Jul 3, 2009 12:53 am

It's good to hear Ersan is coming over. I am hoping his shooting and rebounding translate to the NBA this time and he can provide good minutes at the PF spot. We need his scoring and shooting ability.

Hopefully Skiles can make a defender out of him.
cam2win
Veteran
And1: 7

Post#6 » by cam2win » Fri Jul 3, 2009 12:57 am

2 1/2 years of Spanish and all I know is Ersan, John Hammond, Milwaukee and Villanueva. Can anyone translate the article better or does is just say he has to decide by July 15th?
Ill-yasova
RealGM
And1: 2,552

Post#7 » by Ill-yasova » Fri Jul 3, 2009 12:57 am

I usually try to stay out of these threads, because I don't want to be that guy who is constantly pimping the player in his forum name, but I do hope the two sides can reach an agreement. He and Amir would form a great two headed monster at the 4.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,396

Post#8 » by trwi7 » Fri Jul 3, 2009 1:03 am

Ill-yasova wrote:He and Amir would form a great two headed monster at the 4.

Umm yeah, I doubt that.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
Ill-yasova
RealGM

Post#9 » by Ill-yasova » Fri Jul 3, 2009 1:05 am

trwi7 wrote:

Umm yeah, I doubt that.

By great I mean better than CV.
Newz
Banned User
And1: 2,551

Post#10 » by Newz » Fri Jul 3, 2009 1:06 am

trwi7 wrote:

Umm yeah, I doubt that.

What are you talking about?

Amir would dominate in his ten minutes before he fouls out and then Ersan would come in and show off the same skills he did his first trip to the NBA. ;)
Nebula1
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#11 » by Nebula1 » Fri Jul 3, 2009 1:07 am

Definitely can't wait to get him back. I liked him when he was here and I have no doubt his game will be much stronger this time around.
Newz
Banned User

Post#12 » by Newz » Fri Jul 3, 2009 1:08 am

Ill-yasova wrote:
trwi7 wrote:

Umm yeah, I doubt that.

By great I mean better than CV.

For all of these people who hate CV...

Ersan and Johnson have not had a season where they have come even remotely close to being as good as him.
Joana
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#13 » by Joana » Fri Jul 3, 2009 1:08 am

europa wrote:
carmelbrownqueen wrote:Looks like there is a strong possibility that Ersan will be in a Bucks uni this season.

Now the question is what kind of deal will he get? I'm hoping it's for about $2M a year. No more than $3M.

Well, in the article they say he wants to go back to the NBA but he doesn't want to lose money. However, I'll assume he'll agree to a small hometown discount. I agree the ideal would be something around $2 million; 3 looks too much to me.
Ill-yasova
RealGM

Post#14 » by Ill-yasova » Fri Jul 3, 2009 1:12 am

LukePliska wrote:

Ersan and Johnson have not had a season where they have come even remotely close to being as good as him.

Agreed, but it not at all crazy to think the two players could combine for 16 ppg (CV's best season) while playing MUCH better defense, rebounding at a higher rate and blocking more shots. CV was a defensive liability, these guys aren't.
europa
RealGM

Post#15 » by europa » Fri Jul 3, 2009 1:13 am

Joana wrote:
europa wrote:

Well, in the article they say he wants to go back to the NBA but he doesn't want to lose money. However, I'll assume he'll agree to a small hometown discount. I agree the ideal would be something around $2 million; 3 looks too much to me.

I agree. I believe Amir Johnson's deal was 3/$11M. That's the most I'd want to spend on Ilyasova and I'm not sure I'd want to spend that much. I'd be happy with something closer to $2M a year.
Newz
Banned User

Post#16 » by Newz » Fri Jul 3, 2009 1:14 am

Ill-yasova wrote:
LukePliska wrote:

Agreed, but it not at all crazy to think the two players could combine for 16 ppg (CV's best season) while playing MUCH better defense, rebounding at a higher rate and blocking more shots. CV was a defensive liability, these guys aren't.

Amir Johnson fouls out in about ten minutes in every game he has played in and Ersan's best defensive quality when he was over here the first time was that he tried hard, but he didn't exactly stop anyone.

I will agree they are probably better than CV, but one hasn't proven he can stay on the court and the other hasn't even proven he is worthy of getting minutes in the NBA.

Not saying they can't, just saying don't rip on CV and try to put these two scrubs ahead of him until they actually prove they are worth the praise.
europa
RealGM

Post#17 » by europa » Fri Jul 3, 2009 1:14 am

Ill-yasova wrote:
LukePliska wrote:

Villanueva averaged 12 points per game when the team was healthy (as healthy as it was this past season). I don't think it's out of the reach to believe Johnson and Ilyasova could combine for that. I could see Ilyasova getting double-figure points per game if he's as good as the Bucks believe.
Joana
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#18 » by Joana » Fri Jul 3, 2009 1:15 am

cam2win wrote:2 1/2 years of Spanish and all I know is Ersan, John Hammond, Milwaukee and Villanueva. Can anyone translate the article better or does is just say he has to decide by July 15th?

Yeah, that's basically it. They say the Bucks made the QO to him and that Ilyasova has never hidden his desire to return to the NBA; it's followed by an explanation of what the QO is. Then they say the Bucks' interest is real and not only formal; that Hammond has been praising Ilyasova for the last months and telling they're counting with him for the future, that Ilyasova was in Milwaukee yesterday with his agent to talk with the team and that Villanueva's departure increases the chances of a return. Finally, that the Barcelona's biggest trump is the salary, as Ilyasova will be making €1.5 million if he stays with them next season.
Newz
Banned User

Post#19 » by Newz » Fri Jul 3, 2009 1:16 am

europa wrote:
Ill-yasova wrote:
LukePliska wrote:

Villanueva averaged 12 points per game when the team was healthy (as healthy as it was this past season). I don't think it's out of the reach to believe Johnson and Ilyasova could combine for that. I could see Ilyasova getting double-figure points per game if he's as good as the Bucks believe.

CV averaged 16 points in 27 minutes last season. If those two guys are combining for all or most of our minutes at power forward next season, I would hope they could AT LEAST match that number.

If you played CV on the Spurs with Matt Bonner and took Tim Duncan off of the team, they would combine to average 20+ points per game as well. Does that mean that they are nearly as good as him? :lol:
europa
RealGM

Post#20 » by europa » Fri Jul 3, 2009 1:18 am

I'd target the 12 points per game Villanueva averaged when the team was healthy, not to mention that number is right in line with what he averaged the previous two seasons. So there is some strong data which indicates Villanueva was a 12 ppg scorer for the Bucks while with them. I think the Bucks can mix and match to reach that point total at PF next season (and possibly exceed it depending on how good Johnson and Ilyasova prove to be) while getting much better defense.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks