Decision on Ersan to come before July 15th

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,257

Re: Decision on Ersan to come before July 15th 

Post#21 » by paulpressey25 » Fri Jul 3, 2009 1:19 am

LukePliska wrote:Not saying they can't, just saying don't rip on CV and try to put these two scrubs ahead of him until they actually prove they are worth the praise.

I agree 100% with what you are saying.

Here comes the "but" part of it though. I remember two years ago watching CV play against Amir and to be honest, at that time I think it was a wash as to who I would rather have. Both guys make some spectacular plays and then will go brain dead for awhile. Hammond might be on to something with a change of scenery for Amir.

Re: Ersan, I think he's a much different player than when he left here two-years ago. Much more physical player. Seems to use his length quite well in the paint.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
Newz
Banned User
And1: 2,551

Post#22 » by Newz » Fri Jul 3, 2009 1:21 am

paulpressey25 wrote:
LukePliska wrote:Not saying they can't, just saying don't rip on CV and try to put these two scrubs ahead of him until they actually prove they are worth the praise.

I agree 100% with what you are saying.

Here comes the "but" part of it though. I remember two years ago watching CV play against Amir and to be honest, at that time I think it was a wash as to who I would rather have. Both guys make some spectacular plays and then will go brain dead for awhile. Hammond might be on to something with a change of scenery for Amir.

Re: Ersan, I think he's a much different player than when he left here two-years ago. Much more physical player. Seems to use his length quite well in the paint.

Oh, I agree that they both have talent.

Just don't start to say that they are better than what we already had when they haven't proven anything. All I'm saying.

It's like saying Brandon Jennings is going to come in and automatically replace what Sessions gave us. Or Mbah a Moute will automatically replace what Jefferson gave to us. Or Meeks will just replace Redd.

Makes no sense to me until they actually do something, personally.
Ill-yasova
RealGM
And1: 2,555

Post#23 » by Ill-yasova » Fri Jul 3, 2009 1:22 am

LukePliska wrote:
Amir Johnson fouls out in about ten minutes in every game he has played in and Ersan's best defensive quality when he was over here the first time was that he tried hard, but he didn't exactly stop anyone.

I will agree they are probably better than CV, but one hasn't proven he can stay on the court and the other hasn't even proven he is worthy of getting minutes in the NBA.

Not saying they can't, just saying don't rip on CV and try to put these two scrubs ahead of him until they actually prove they are worth the praise.

It's a shame players in their early twenties don't get better.

Amir is what... 22 and he was playing alot of minutes out of position guarding centers. And Ersan is about 30 pounds heavier than the last time he played here. All I'm saying is if they can put up between 12-16 ppg between the two of them, the defense and rebounding alone will be an improvement over CV.

CV was not a mediocre defender. He was not a bad defender. When he tried hard he was somewhat awful.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,257

Post#24 » by paulpressey25 » Fri Jul 3, 2009 1:24 am

LukePliska wrote:Just don't start to say that they are better than what we already had when they haven't proven anything. All I'm saying.

Agreed. I'm with you on that.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
Nebula1
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#25 » by Nebula1 » Fri Jul 3, 2009 1:24 am

I think Ersan is going to be a more-than-very pleasant surprise.
Newz
Banned User
And1: 2,551

Post#26 » by Newz » Fri Jul 3, 2009 1:24 am

Ill-yasova wrote:It's a shame players in their early twenties don't get better.

When did I say young players don't get better? Are you reading what I am posting?
buckaroo
Senior
And1: 0

Post#27 » by buckaroo » Fri Jul 3, 2009 1:24 am

Joana wrote:
cam2win wrote:2 1/2 years of Spanish and all I know is Ersan, John Hammond, Milwaukee and Villanueva. Can anyone translate the article better or does is just say he has to decide by July 15th?

Yeah, that's basically it. They say the Bucks made the QO to him and that Ilyasova has never hidden his desire to return to the NBA; it's followed by an explanation of what the QO is. Then they say the Bucks' interest is real and not only formal; that Hammond has been praising Ilyasova for the last months and telling they're counting with him for the future, that Ilyasova was in Milwaukee yesterday with his agent to talk with the team and that Villanueva's departure increases the chances of a return. Finally, that the Barcelona's biggest trump is the salary, as Ilyasova will be making €1.5 million if he stays with them next season.

I think that gives us some sort of range for thr salary expectations. If €1.5 would be the reason Ersan would stay over there (i.e. more money), that would mean the Bucks' offer would be less. €1.5 is about $2M. That is a pretty low risk gamble to bring him back for less than $2M.
europa
RealGM
And1: 471

Post#28 » by europa » Fri Jul 3, 2009 1:24 am

Ill-yasova wrote:All I'm saying is if they can put up between 12-16 ppg between the two of them, the defense and rebounding alone will be an improvement over CV.

This is my belief too. And also include M&M as well, who could also improve offensively. I'd be very surprised if the PF position wasn't better next season. I think it could potentially be a lot better - especially when you factor in the defense.
Nothing will not break me.
Joana
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#29 » by Joana » Fri Jul 3, 2009 1:45 am

buckaroo wrote:I think that gives us some sort of range for thr salary expectations. If €1.5 would be the reason Ersan would stay over there (i.e. more money), that would mean the Bucks' offer would be less. €1.5 is about $2M. That is a pretty low risk gamble to bring him back for less than $2M.

That €1.5M figure is his net salary though, after taxes. I agree the Bucks should be offering him $2M, more than that only in a longer contract with only the 1st year guaranteed and then the remaining ones unguaranteed or with team options.
Nebula1
RealGM

Post#30 » by Nebula1 » Fri Jul 3, 2009 1:58 am

europa wrote:
Ill-yasova wrote:All I'm saying is if they can put up between 12-16 ppg between the two of them, the defense and rebounding alone will be an improvement over CV.

This is my belief too. And also include M&M as well, who could also improve offensively. I'd be very surprised if the PF position wasn't better next season. I think it could potentially be a lot better - especially when you factor in the defense.

No matter what, to be fair, Villanueva could be electric. I don't think they can match that.
Ill-yasova
RealGM

Post#31 » by Ill-yasova » Fri Jul 3, 2009 2:01 am

Nebula1 wrote:
europa wrote:

No matter what, to be fair, Villanueva could be electric. I don't think they can match that.

Yeah he could put up 20-30 a night sometimes but he gave up just as many points over the course of a season as he scored ... maybe more.
Nebula1
RealGM

Post#32 » by Nebula1 » Fri Jul 3, 2009 2:03 am

Ill-yasova wrote:Yeah he could put up 20-30 a night sometimes but he gave up just as many points over the course of a season as he scored ... maybe more.

No argument from me there, but that electricity is a rare thing in the NBA. Only a few guys have it and Dumars scooped two of the most electric guys in the NBA. We'll see if he can get any defense out of them. Not likely. Interesting experiment however.
Ill-yasova
RealGM

Post#33 » by Ill-yasova » Fri Jul 3, 2009 2:14 am

Nebula1 wrote:
Ill-yasova wrote:Yeah he could put up 20-30 a night sometimes but he gave up just as many points over the course of a season as he scored ... maybe more.

No argument from me there, but that electricity is a rare thing in the NBA. Only a few guys have it and Dumars scooped two of the most electric guys in the NBA. We'll see if he can get any defense out of them. Not likely. Interesting experiment however.

Only LeBron can get defense out of guys like that. If he can make Mo defend he can make anybody.
Nebula1
RealGM

Post#34 » by Nebula1 » Fri Jul 3, 2009 2:17 am

Ill-yasova wrote:
Nebula1 wrote:

Only LeBron can get defense out of guys like that. If he can make Mo defend he can make anybody.

Guys like Garnett and Kobe, etc. might disagree with you, but I get your point. Still, I think it's fun to watch teams put up 130 and give up 120.

Hammond should've drafted Carmelo and they wouldn't be in this mess...
europa
RealGM
And1: 471

Post#35 » by europa » Fri Jul 3, 2009 2:20 am

Nebula1 wrote:Hammond should've drafted Carmelo and they wouldn't be in this mess...

If Hammond really was the brains of the Pistons' operation it's possible he stepped outside for a smoke that year and when he came back in Dumars had just gotten off the phone with Chad Ford and drafted Darko.

:D
Nothing will not break me.
Nebula1
RealGM

Post#36 » by Nebula1 » Fri Jul 3, 2009 2:24 am

europa wrote:
Nebula1 wrote:Hammond should've drafted Carmelo and they wouldn't be in this mess...

If Hammond really was the brains of the Pistons' operation it's possible he stepped outside for a smoke that year and when he came back in Dumars had just gotten off the phone with Chad Ford and drafted Darko.

:D

Um, this is the guy who drafted Alexander too... but is re-shaping the Bucks with the same skill as the Pistons were shaped. So he can't draft... that will be okay for now as he gets the major stuff accomplished.
aboveAverage
RealGM
And1: 2,611

Post#37 » by aboveAverage » Fri Jul 3, 2009 2:35 am

Nebula1 wrote:

I agree. CV was pretty bad defensively, but it's not like other players on this team were good defenders other than Luc and Bogut. Plus, when CV got it going, no one could stop him. He would keep us in games single-handedly. He had arguably one of the best one hand floaters in the league. Those were like guaranteed to go in. Not saying that he'll be that big of a loss, but I sure did enjoy watching him play.

Let's see how this board reacts in January when CV drops 28 and 12 on us. My guess is there will be a lot of hypocrites next year.
Serge28
RealGM
And1: 1,754

Post#38 » by Serge28 » Fri Jul 3, 2009 2:40 am

Honestly, I don't care how many points we get out of Ersan/Amir PF rotation as long as they can rebound the ball and play some hard nosed D. That's what I want out of the PF position next year. Redd can score 25+ a night. Sessions/Jennings - those guys can score pretty gosh darn well too. Bogut... well, that **** BETTER learn how to put the ball in the hole next year. Offensively, we'll be fine.
paul
RealGM
And1: 1,038

Post#39 » by paul » Fri Jul 3, 2009 2:41 am

aboveAverage wrote:
Nebula1 wrote:

I agree. CV was pretty bad defensively, but it's not like other players on this team were good defenders other than Luc and Bogut. Plus, when CV got it going, no one could stop him. He would keep us in games single-handedly. He had arguably one of the best one hand floaters in the league. Those were like guaranteed to go in. Not saying that he'll be that big of a loss, but I sure did enjoy watching him play.

Let's see how this board reacts in January when CV drops 28 and 12 on us. My guess is there will be a lot of hypocrites next year.

Why? My guess is most on here will expect him to do that to us. Doesn't mean we should have retained him but I don't think anyone doubts his offensive ability.
pasting_monkeys
Starter
And1: 1

Post#40 » by pasting_monkeys » Fri Jul 3, 2009 2:41 am

Back to Ersan.

I've always seen him as a guy who can play both the 3 and 4 spots. Am I alone in this thinking? Because everybody else seems to be think he'll play exclusively at the 4 spot.

This was said a while ago, but a good comparison to Ersan is Nocioni. When Noc was under Skiles at the Bulls he came off the bench as a 3 or 4 guy. Great hustle guy who was a scrappy defender and could hit the open 3. I'd love to see Ersan have that kind of role next season, but I also think he'll be a better rebounder than Noc, given his athleticism.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks