ImageImage

Malik Allen traded to Denver?

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

GrandAdmiralDan
RealGM
And1: 1,291

Re: Malik Allen traded to Denver? 

Post#91 » by GrandAdmiralDan » Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:59 am

old skool wrote:The thing is that eventually the Bucks are going to need to fill out a roster. You can't just field ten players. Even if you shed Malik Allen and waive Weems, the Bucks will eventually have to pay somebody a minimum contract. So the savings are not 100%.

In some ways those low priced partially guaranteed contracts hurt you. You are still on the hook for part of that contract, and then you have to pick up another contract to fill out the roster. A few hundred grand here and a few there, and you might as well have held onto a decent NBA player because you aren't saving any real money.

Hopefully Hammond has someone else in mind to fill out the roster.

oLd sKool

We won't need to replace Allen/Weems with anyone.
Redd, Bogut, Gadz, Amir Johnson, Kurt Thomas, Bell, Alexander, Elson, Mbah A Moute, Jennings, Meeks, Ersan, Sessions.

There's 13 players right there. Minimum roster requirements met. I prefer if the Bucks don't carry more than 13 players anyway. If they want more than 13 players, Trade Ridnour for two players who combined make less than he does.

Bernman wrote:Good move by Hammond for leverage in an S&T.

Now it looks like we can and will match on the surface. We already knew it was possible to match in reality, but perception is important in this situation also.

Plus, he acquired the space in the form of an unguaranteed deal, so he could always sell to the public that they liked Weems too much, to justify waiving him and clearing the space to re-sign Sessions. Weems isn't a bad player, nice to have a swingman with actual size. GAD won't allow those rationalizations though. :)

Correct. I'd waive him as soon as the ink is dry on this trade :)

J Smitty wrote:Does this deal even work financially? With Weems making only 700k and Malik 1.3 mill....it doesn't seem like the salaries would be close enough. I tried it on the ESPN trade machine and it said the trade was 280k off.

Denver would use part of one of it's TPEs.
Probably part of the Camby TPE, since it expires on November 3rd.

ESPN's trade machine doesn't factor that in?
RealGM's trade checker does. Try trading Dan Gadzuric for Sonny Weems. It will congratulate you on a successful scenario :)

carmelbrownqueen wrote:
europa wrote:It appears to be legit.

Helluva trade by Hammond.

Why would anyone post a fake trade about taking Malik Allen of all people.. sounds legit to me. :D

Phase Two of Project Mayhem?

trwi7 wrote:
Yeah, they deleted the google cache or everything that's linked is a virus so I only saw the six seconds. Not that I'm complaining about only six seconds of that. :)

You are mistaken :)

I wasn't going to watch the video, because I would have felt wrong watching a video someone filmed of her through a peephole she didn't know about... but once I found out that the video made it really seem that she at least knew someone was watching her, if not recording her. That changes things ;)

MFScho wrote:The clip is 5 minutes of EA btw.

Are you trying to trick us into thinking you have a bonus minute? :)

Bernman wrote:More athletic than a beagle was such a weird comment, that the nickname should stick if he stays around. THE BEAGLE FTW!

Completely agree

adamcz wrote:So will Brandon Jennings meet any of the players who changed our culture?

Perhaps we had a documentary film crew following them around last year, and if Jennings just watches those videos, it will be sufficient for his culture to change as well

europa wrote:This trade. It isn't official yet.

It would be very unfortunate if this trade did not end up occurring.
But, as a consolation, without this rumor, I would not have watched that Erin Andrews video tonight.
97-98
Nick Van Exel (LAL) on defending the Stockton-Malone pick-and-roll: "Yeah,
I got a way to defend it. Bring a bat to the game and kill one of them."
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,359

Post#92 » by emunney » Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:59 am

Pretty sure it's Sounds.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
pilprin
Pro Prospect
And1: 87

Post#93 » by pilprin » Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:59 am

Oh yeah....thanks!
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,359

Post#94 » by emunney » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:00 am

...but whatever.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
zmanishere11
Sixth Man
And1: 241

Post#95 » by zmanishere11 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:03 am

back to the most important part of the Malik Allen trade, which is clearly the EA video . . . .
Cold Crush 24
Sixth Man
And1: 151

Post#96 » by Cold Crush 24 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:03 am

Bernman wrote:More athletic than a beagle was such a weird comment, that the nickname should stick if he stays around. THE BEAGLE FTW!

My buddy from PDX put me on that term. He says it instead of saying bitch. Example: Man it's hotter than a beagle out here!
Finals in 2017
europa
RealGM
And1: 471

Post#97 » by europa » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:03 am

GrandAdmiralDan wrote:It would be very unfortunate if this trade did not end up occurring.
But, as a consolation, without this rumor, I would not have watched that Erin Andrews video tonight.

I think it will happen. It's not like a rumor of a Malik Allen trade is something anyone would get fired up about discussing. At this point, I'd be surprised if didn't go through.

As far as the video, if I had hypothetically watched it, I might hypothetically comment about how fascinating it was to count the number of times she checked out her ass in the mirror.

Again, if I had watched it.
Nothing will not break me.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,283

Post#98 » by trwi7 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:04 am

emunney wrote:Pretty sure it's Sounds.

Well whatever it is, I'm just glad I could remind PP of a time before he collected social security. It was only two years before he started collecting it, but it reminds him of his younger years and a simpler time. :wink:
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
NeedsMoreCheese
RealGM
And1: 8,369

Post#99 » by NeedsMoreCheese » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:08 am

zmanishere11 wrote:back to the most important part of the Malik Allen trade, which is clearly the EA video . . . .

Theres a Malik Allen trade? :lol:
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 25,808

Post#100 » by paulpressey25 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:11 am

trwi7 wrote:Well whatever it is, I'm just glad I could remind PP of a time before he collected social security. It was only two years before he started collecting it, but it reminds him of his younger years and a simpler time. :wink:

Yeah, yeah.....me and Yi went to see The Graduate when it was first run in theatres......

(and for you newbies I'm old but nowhere near that old....only Trevor Hoffman old)
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,283

Post#101 » by trwi7 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:15 am

paulpressey25 wrote:(and for you newbies I'm old but nowhere near that old....only Trevor Hoffman old)

Wow, you're younger than my mom's youngest sibling. Now that makes me feel old. :(
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,473

Post#102 » by Bernman » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:21 am

paulpressey25 wrote:
trwi7 wrote:Well whatever it is, I'm just glad I could remind PP of a time before he collected social security. It was only two years before he started collecting it, but it reminds him of his younger years and a simpler time. :wink:

Yeah, yeah.....me and Yi went to see The Graduate when it was first run in theatres......

(and for you newbies I'm old but nowhere near that old....only Trevor Hoffman old)

I know, I know, it's just the references you use which makes it seem that way. But ask you about Marques Johnson, and you're like, "woah dude, I have no idea who that is, that was way before my time". Before the time where you weren't high on acid?
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
old skool
General Manager
And1: 3,461

Post#103 » by old skool » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:50 am

GrandAdmiralDan wrote:We won't need to replace Allen/Weems with anyone.
Redd, Bogut, Gadz, Amir Johnson, Kurt Thomas, Bell, Alexander, Elson, Mbah A Moute, Jennings, Meeks, Ersan, Sessions.

There's 13 players right there. Minimum roster requirements met. I prefer if the Bucks don't carry more than 13 players anyway. If they want more than 13 players, Trade Ridnour for two players who combined make less than he does.

Yes, I see. I was quickly looking at shamsports and not adding Ilyasova and Meeks - two obvious additions. My bad.

And I was counting on possibly being Kurt Thomas being gone, based on the sentiment from many here, and based on the very limited number of minutes that he played last season.

I agree about running with only 13 on the roster. That will be the new trend in the NBA. Fill out last minute injury needs with ten day contracts.

But my larger point has some validity: if you keep shedding enough partial contracts, you end up paying for the equivalent of an entire player or more, and still have to round out the roster. So you could end up paying twice for all or part of an end of bench journeyman. Sometimes it might make more sense to hold onto a player, even if you could shed some more salary. That might be what happens with Kurt Thomas.

Yes the Bucks could negotiate a buyout with Kurt Thomas, but if they end up signing another player to fill some minutes because KT is no longer on the roster, then the Bucks do not save 100% of the money that was originally projected as "savings".

oLd sKool
worthlessBucks
RealGM
And1: 4,823

Post#104 » by worthlessBucks » Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:32 am

PP is an old Blue Duke, probably black and white photos :wink:
Go Bucks!
apdamico
Senior
And1: 2

Post#105 » by apdamico » Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:05 am

old skool wrote:
GrandAdmiralDan wrote:We won't need to replace Allen/Weems with anyone.

Yes, I see. I was quickly looking at shamsports and not adding Ilyasova and Meeks - two obvious additions. My bad.

And I was counting on possibly being Kurt Thomas being gone, based on the sentiment from many here, and based on the very limited number of minutes that he played last season.

I agree about running with only 13 on the roster. That will be the new trend in the NBA. Fill out last minute injury needs with ten day contracts.

But my larger point has some validity: if you keep shedding enough partial contracts, you end up paying for the equivalent of an entire player or more, and still have to round out the roster. So you could end up paying twice for all or part of an end of bench journeyman. Sometimes it might make more sense to hold onto a player, even if you could shed some more salary. That might be what happens with Kurt Thomas.

Yes the Bucks could negotiate a buyout with Kurt Thomas, but if they end up signing another player to fill some minutes because KT is no longer on the roster, then the Bucks do not save 100% of the money that was originally projected as "savings".

oLd sKool

How do you guys keep coming up with a 13-player roster? Who are you not counting Sessions or Ridnour? Once we cut Bowen, cut Salim and sign Sessions, I see a 14-man roster with the names you mention. This of course takes into account that this trade actually happens and we then cut Weems.

1. Bogut
2. Elson
3. Gadzuric
4. Johnson
5. Thomas
6. Ersan
7. JA
8. LRMAM
9, Redd
10. Bell
11. Meeks
12. Ridnour
13 Jennings

14. Sessions

15 Allen (Traded?), Bowen (Cut), Salim (Cut) and/or Sonny Weems (received via trade and then cut) :)

Anyway I look at our roster, I see at the very least 14-players and 15 if this trade is bogus.
Never under estimate the value of a Buck!
GrandAdmiralDan
RealGM
And1: 1,291

Post#106 » by GrandAdmiralDan » Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:23 am

apdamico wrote:
How do you guys keep coming up with a 13-player roster? Who are you not counting Sessions or Ridnour?

Considering I listed Sessions but neglected to list Ridnour, obvious answer, isn't it? :)

I just forgot to list Ridnour, despite referring to him in that same post. It was an oversight, not intentional.
97-98

Nick Van Exel (LAL) on defending the Stockton-Malone pick-and-roll: "Yeah,

I got a way to defend it. Bring a bat to the game and kill one of them."
Siefer
RealGM
And1: 5,901

Post#107 » by Siefer » Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:30 am

If anything, we'll always remember Malik Allen for his outstanding parting gift for the Bucks board. Hot damn, Erin Andrews. Hot damn.
apdamico
Senior
And1: 2

Post#108 » by apdamico » Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:32 am

GrandAdmiralDan wrote:
apdamico wrote:
How do you guys keep coming up with a 13-player roster? Who are you not counting Sessions or Ridnour?

Considering I listed Sessions but neglected to list Ridnour, obvious answer, isn't it? :)

I just forgot to list Ridnour, despite referring to him in that same post. It was an oversight, not intentional.

Actually I saw how you listed the two and you mentioned you'd like to see a 13-man roster and I just couldn't see how that could be accomplished unless we bought out Thomas.

Plus, I thought Hammond mentioned he'd like to sign another SF or PF and I thought that could only happen if we bought Thomas out. I just don't see Hammond going with a 13-man roster that's all, we just have too many players under contract already; it's certainly a valid point though under the current economic conditions.

GAD, while your online though, do we really need the savings this supposed trade will give us (Allen for Weems) and of course cutting both Salim & Bowen to match a Sessions MLE offer?
Never under estimate the value of a Buck!
MilBucksBackOnTop06
Banned User
And1: 14

Post#109 » by MilBucksBackOnTop06 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:48 am

EastSideBucksFan wrote:I don't know anything about Sonny Weems, but I think this is awesome.

Any chance Weems is NG'd?

OMG! Is this true? Sonny Weems is da' bomb! He had a great Summer League and he can light it up!

He has some size and great range. Improves our depth if he can make the squad and we get some other guys moved out of here.

Weems and Meeks both can shoot! Perhaps the Bucks will move Redd after all...? For those of you who do not know Weems he can hoop!

Anybody for Malik Allen is cool with me...nice trade if it is true and the sources are correct. Now I will go out of my way to watch him in Las Vegas now...brb...
MilBucksBackOnTop06
Banned User
And1: 14

Post#110 » by MilBucksBackOnTop06 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:52 am

Joana wrote:
EastSideBucksFan wrote:I don't know anything about Sonny Weems, but I think this is awesome.

Any chance Weems is NG'd?

It's only partially guaranteed, but Weems would be worthy of keeping around for a while. He's making the minimum salary anyway.

Denver may want to move him out, now that they got Afflalo.

They got Afflao???????

Hell, I would have died for Afflao...now that was the cat to get from Detriot for Oberto! Aaron Afflao would have been the ticket right there.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks