ImageImage

OT: Iverson swallows pride, signs with Grizzlies

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

EastSideBucksFan
RealGM
And1: 4,490

OT: Iverson swallows pride, signs with Grizzlies 

Post#1 » by EastSideBucksFan » Wed Sep 9, 2009 6:46 pm

Per wiretap and twitter Allen Iverson has agreed to a one year deal with the Memphis Grizzlies.

In a move that I thought was clearly motivated by trying to leverage a better deal, Iverson leaked that he was very close to signing with the Grizzlies for what seems like a couple weeks now in hopes of someone coming in to rescue him last minute.

The Grizzlies organization is an NBA franchise that isn't afraid to admit it has done moves solely with the bottom line in mind, this deal must be construed as an effort to boost ticket sales.

Where does Iverson fit on this team?

Mike Conley and OJ Mayo are the two main youngsters in the backcourt.
Rudy Gay and Zach Randolph are holding down the forward spots
Thabeet and Gasol hold down the center position.

Was there not even one team that would've taken AI on a one year deal for him to come off the bench?

I thought he could've fit with the Knicks, the Warriors, the Suns. But I didn't really see him fitting in with any real contenders. No Lakers, Boston, Magic, Spurs, maybe Dallas or even Houston.

I've been a big propentent of letting anyone who would listen how much of a waste AI was, I'm just shocked he actually had to go thru with it and sign with the Grizzlies.

I'll be even more shocked if he's still on the roster at the end of the year. Someone will have a SG go down and come calling for AI at some point.
europa
RealGM
And1: 471

Re: OT: Iverson swallows pride, signs with Grizzlies 

Post#2 » by europa » Wed Sep 9, 2009 6:48 pm

The one bright spot for the Grizzlies is, unlike the Pistons and Nuggets, they already stink so AI can't come in and turn a good team's fortunes to crap the way he did in Detroit and Denver.
Nothing will not break me.
Andrew34r
Assistant Coach
And1: 2

Post#3 » by Andrew34r » Wed Sep 9, 2009 6:52 pm

I came on here towards the end of last season and said that teams were not going to be fighting over A.I.'s services and had a lot of people tell me I was crazy and because A.I. sells tickets and merch and that alone would mean he would be a free agent that gets a ton of attention. The guy barely signed on with the Grizzlies. That should tell people what most NBA teams think of him. He is nothing more than a player on the decline that still thinks he is in his prime and should get majority of the touches. Dont be surprised if there is some tension in Memphis this year if A.I. isnt the focal point of the offense.
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#4 » by REDDzone » Wed Sep 9, 2009 6:53 pm

This sucks, now we of one team that will FOR SURE have more lotto balls than us.

I kid. I kid.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
jeremyd236
General Manager
And1: 16

Post#5 » by jeremyd236 » Wed Sep 9, 2009 6:55 pm

Didn't he sign for the minimum?
aboveAverage
RealGM
And1: 2,604

Post#6 » by aboveAverage » Wed Sep 9, 2009 7:02 pm

Iverson suddenly became really underrated. Sure, he's not an all star anymore, but he's worth a roster spot for god's sakes. I think this is a great signing for Memphis. They will definitely be an interesting team to watch this year.
EastSideBucksFan
RealGM
And1: 4,490

Post#7 » by EastSideBucksFan » Wed Sep 9, 2009 7:02 pm

I thought it was a 1YR/$3M deal, but haven't seen it confirmed yet.
BobbyLight
RealGM
And1: 1,546

Post#8 » by BobbyLight » Wed Sep 9, 2009 7:07 pm

aboveAverage wrote:Iverson suddenly became really underrated. Sure, he's not an all star anymore, but he's worth a roster spot for god's sakes. I think this is a great signing for Memphis. They will definitely be an interesting team to watch this year.

If Iverson wasn't a raging cancer on the last two teams he has been on I might agree. Stupid sining for a rebuilding team, unless he really changes his attitude. Then it could be a good signing.
europa
RealGM
And1: 471

Post#9 » by europa » Wed Sep 9, 2009 7:10 pm

BobbyLight wrote:
aboveAverage wrote:Iverson suddenly became really underrated. Sure, he's not an all star anymore, but he's worth a roster spot for god's sakes. I think this is a great signing for Memphis. They will definitely be an interesting team to watch this year.

If Iverson wasn't a raging cancer on the last two teams he has been on I might agree. Stupid sining for a rebuilding team, unless he really changes his attitude. Then it could be a good signing.

I doubt he will. As one NBA exec said earlier this summer, Iverson is the "Barry Bonds of the NBA." I wouldn't want anything to do with the guy.
Nothing will not break me.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,373

Post#10 » by trwi7 » Wed Sep 9, 2009 7:12 pm

Can't wait to see an Iverson/Mayo/Gay/Randolph/Gasol lineup. That will be hilarious.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
MilBucksBackOnTop06
Banned User
And1: 14

Post#11 » by MilBucksBackOnTop06 » Wed Sep 9, 2009 7:31 pm

EastSideBucksFan wrote:Per wiretap and twitter Allen Iverson has agreed to a one year deal with the Memphis Grizzlies.

In a move that I thought was clearly motivated by trying to leverage a better deal, Iverson leaked that he was very close to signing with the Grizzlies for what seems like a couple weeks now in hopes of someone coming in to rescue him last minute.

The Grizzlies organization is an NBA franchise that isn't afraid to admit it has done moves solely with the bottom line in mind, this deal must be construed as an effort to boost ticket sales.

Where does Iverson fit on this team?

Mike Conley and OJ Mayo are the two main youngsters in the backcourt.
Rudy Gay and Zach Randolph are holding down the forward spots
Thabeet and Gasol hold down the center position.

Was there not even one team that would've taken AI on a one year deal for him to come off the bench?

I thought he could've fit with the Knicks, the Warriors, the Suns. But I didn't really see him fitting in with any real contenders. No Lakers, Boston, Magic, Spurs, maybe Dallas or even Houston.

I've been a big propentent of letting anyone who would listen how much of a waste AI was, I'm just shocked he actually had to go thru with it and sign with the Grizzlies.

I'll be even more shocked if he's still on the roster at the end of the year. Someone will have a SG go down and come calling for AI at some point.

He could have fit in with any one of those teams...but they did not want him. It's that simple. He did the right thing like I mentioned two months ago. He and those like him like Stephon Marbury were at a career crossroads...
With so many young and up and coming talented PG's entering the NBA in the last few years and in the upcoming years teams do not want to take chances on guys over 32 with ego's. Sooner or later you have to conform to what the team wants.
It maybe that he is traded at the deadline if he does well in Memphis, but they are uisng him to draw fans and he is nothing more then being pimped by the Grizzlies of all teams.

But don't cry for Iverson, he made $21 million last year at the end of that deal and blew up the Pistons. He should have come to this decision months ago. It is a perfect opportunity for him to show some true leadership. And every great leader must also serve.
This is a bigger part of the legacy he will leave more then the MVP he won! How he does here will define who he goes out and how he will be remembered. He can give Brett Farve some notes on how to do this...go out the right way and the winning way not always on your terms.
MilBucksBackOnTop06
Banned User
And1: 14

Post#12 » by MilBucksBackOnTop06 » Wed Sep 9, 2009 7:41 pm

trwi7 wrote:Can't wait to see an Iverson/Mayo/Gay/Randolph/Gasol lineup. That will be hilarious.

Guess what? That lineup will be impressive and a 'must see' buy your tickets to see lineup as well. It is the perfect situation for Iverson to help Gay and Mayo ascend to Super stardom...

I just am not sure about the Iverson and Randolph paring though...that could work to undermine everything. But if they both do not share the ball, and play with those young guys there will be some big time drama coming out of Memphis.

But at least the fans will come and that is probably all they care about. I bet the Grizzlies have more National televised games and coverage on ESPN then we do if this works out.

The last team in the entire league besides Milwaukee for Iverson to go to and fit in was the Memphis Grizzlies so it should be interesting. This will do more for Iverson then it will for Memphis at the gate or in the standings...

He messes this situation up, he might as well retire and hang it up. He comes in and helps that team and limit his shots and work within the framework of what his former Coach Lionel Hollins (who is now on the hot seat as well...) wants he might draw some interest at the deadline.

Teams don't like what he did in Denver, and then to the Pistons and former head coach Michael Curry in Detroit.

Chauncey Billups (who many said was 'too old' to come here) and his play with the Nuggets and the Pistons demise made him look even worse.

So we'll see...
Nebula1
RealGM
And1: 1,571

Post#13 » by Nebula1 » Wed Sep 9, 2009 7:54 pm

Should be an interesting experiment. i'll root for him.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,652

Post#14 » by emunney » Wed Sep 9, 2009 8:07 pm

In a related move, the Grizzlies are petitioning the league to play their games with eight basketballs on the court at once. Randolph and Iverson both want 2.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
andonewheel
Rookie
And1: 16

Post#15 » by andonewheel » Wed Sep 9, 2009 8:32 pm

Wow.

Iverson probably could've signed to plenty of teams if he would've gone out publicly and said he was cool being a backup and taking a lesser role, but he has way too much ego.

Part of me thinks Memphis may still be tanking, just trying to sell more tickets. I feel like this will blow up in their faces and they'll be an absolute wreck with nobody on the team caring and everybody wanting out after about 20 games.

AI, Randolph, and Gay have to be three of the most selfish players in the NBA. I wonder how this will affect Mayo's development, because he's essentially going to have to fight for shots now.
Nebula1
RealGM

Post#16 » by Nebula1 » Wed Sep 9, 2009 8:36 pm

andonewheel wrote:Wow.

Iverson probably could've signed to plenty of teams if he would've gone out publicly and said he was cool being a backup and taking a lesser role, but he has way too much ego.

Part of me thinks Memphis may still be tanking, just trying to sell more tickets. I feel like this will blow up in their faces and they'll be an absolute wreck with nobody on the team caring and everybody wanting out after about 20 games.

AI, Randolph, and Gay have to be three of the most selfish players in the NBA. I wonder how this will affect Mayo's development, because he's essentially going to have to fight for shots now.

Memphis is trying to cop the jailblazer style.
B Calrissian
Head Coach
And1: 17

Post#17 » by B Calrissian » Wed Sep 9, 2009 8:45 pm

EastSideBucksFan wrote:

I agree with this. However I don't get the thread title. If he had swallowed his pride wouldn't he have signed for the vet min to come off the bench for a playoff team?
BucksRUS
Analyst
And1: 12

Post#18 » by BucksRUS » Wed Sep 9, 2009 8:46 pm

Memphis will set the record this year for fewest assists in a season, with this lineup. They also probably won't win much either. They will probably be ahead of us in the John Wall sweapstakes next year with this move.
Trade S. Jackson soon. NJ seems like a nice place for him.
JoeHova
Lead Assistant
And1: 61

Post#19 » by JoeHova » Wed Sep 9, 2009 8:47 pm

europa wrote:I doubt he will. As one NBA exec said earlier this summer, Iverson is the "Barry Bonds of the NBA." I wouldn't want anything to do with the guy.

If Iverson was also the best player his league had ever seen, that comparison might have more merit.
"Look, if he sees me on his lawn waving a gun around, he's gonna pretend not to be home."
Nebula1
RealGM

Post#20 » by Nebula1 » Wed Sep 9, 2009 8:49 pm

JoeHova wrote:
europa wrote:I doubt he will. As one NBA exec said earlier this summer, Iverson is the "Barry Bonds of the NBA." I wouldn't want anything to do with the guy.

If Iverson was also the best player his league had ever seen, that comparison might have more merit.

Of if Iverson was a juicin, cheater.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks