Hammond & Skiles Conference Call - Today - Page 5

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,315

Re: Hammond & Skiles Conference Call - Today - Page 5 

Post#141 » by paulpressey25 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:53 pm

bplus wrote:Actually, from what PP typed up, when they were talking about the core of the team, the name "Redd" seemed conspicuously absent... unless PP just skipped his name on accident.

Good observation.

He did not ever mention Redd as a core piece. And he talked about "core" quite a bit. The only area he talked about Redd, was needing him to play well THIS season in order for the team to have a good year. He didn't even talk about specifically Redd and Gadz expiring in 2011, just that they would have massive cap room in 2011.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
FireStreetlifeNow
Pro Prospect
And1: 131
Location: At a brewpub somewhere in SE Wisconsin or SW Michigan

Post#142 » by FireStreetlifeNow » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:53 pm

I listened to the whole press conference but my co-worker started yammering at me at the very end was Paschke was listing off dates. I heard him mention October 3rd but not what it was for. Did anyone that was listening catch what that was for? Perhaps it's the return of the open practice?
step3profit
Analyst
And1: 819

Post#143 » by step3profit » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:55 pm

FireStreetlifeNow wrote:I listened to the whole press conference but my co-worker started yammering at me at the very end was Paschke was listing off dates. I heard him mention October 3rd but not what it was for. Did anyone that was listening catch what that was for? Perhaps it's the return of the open practice?

A) Yup, open practice at the BC.
B) Awesome, AWESOME screen name. :D
SupremeHustle
RealGM
And1: 28,675

Post#144 » by SupremeHustle » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:57 pm

Thanks, PP.

Haven't read the entire thread, so this may have been brought up. Skiles mentions that Bogut should get 15-18 shots a game and 15 ppg? If he's getting 15 shots, he better be getting at least 20 ppg.
jschligs wrote:Am I the only one who doesn't know who the **** SupremeHustle is?
step3profit
Analyst

Post#145 » by step3profit » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:00 pm

SupremeHustle wrote:Thanks, PP.

Haven't read the entire thread, so this may have been brought up. Skiles mentions that Bogut should get 15-18 shots a game and 15 ppg? If he's getting 15 shots, he better be getting at least 20 ppg.

Agreed. I thought that was weird as well. 15 points, sure. 18 shots a game? Doubtful unless his jump shot finally graduated from college.
FireStreetlifeNow
Pro Prospect
And1: 131
Location: At a brewpub somewhere in SE Wisconsin or SW Michigan

Post#146 » by FireStreetlifeNow » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:01 pm

bplus wrote:
FireStreetlifeNow wrote:I listened to the whole press conference but my co-worker started yammering at me at the very end was Paschke was listing off dates. I heard him mention October 3rd but not what it was for. Did anyone that was listening catch what that was for? Perhaps it's the return of the open practice?

A) Yup, open practice at the BC.
B) Awesome, AWESOME screen name. :D

Thanks and Thanks!

Last year they gave free tickets to a preseason game instead of having the open practice, perhaps since they went to China. I'd prefer the game to the practice but at least it's something.
Wise1
RealGM
And1: 256

Post#147 » by Wise1 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:01 pm

bplus wrote:
Wise1 wrote:
LUKE23 wrote:I really wish someone would have asked why he passed on Redd and RJ for expirings, since it basically would have sped up our rebuilding process by two full seasons. Especially if the throw-in with Redd was Sessions, a guy they let walk for nothing...oh wait...Warrick.

Well in the case of dumping Redd for expirings, the question probably wasn't answered because it is utterly ridiculous considering how the organization feels about Redd. He's the kind of asset that they want both on and off the court. Perhaps they deal him for a greater asset when his value reaches it's peak (expiring), or maybe they'll retain him until he expires since he obviously helps with the stated goal of winning.

Actually, from what PP typed up, when they were talking about the core of the team, the name "Redd" seemed conspicuously absent... unless PP just skipped his name on accident.

That's not surprising. Redd will not be under contract after 2011. The players mentioned as core pieces will be. My premise above revolves around what Redd contributes while he is under contract. I'm not ruling out the Bucks adding Redd to the core if they can re-sign him to what they describe as a fair deal. Assuming he's still playing at a high level, I'd imagine they'd be interested.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks

Post#148 » by paulpressey25 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:03 pm

bplus wrote:Agreed. I thought that was weird as well. 15 points, sure. 18 shots a game? Doubtful unless his jump shot finally graduated from college.

I wouldn't read much into that. I don't think Skiles was thinking through the percentages. Just making the general point that Bogut needs to step it up. And again, I'll admit I didn't expect to hear the brass publicly putting some expectations on Andrew. That one came out of left field IMO.

Ayt
RealGM
And1: 13,792

Post#149 » by Ayt » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:04 pm

old skool wrote:
Ayt wrote:Skiles has always preferred guys that can space the floor, but its not necessarily because he wants to play inside out basketball with a stud post scorer. His motion offense leads to a ton of open looks.

sKiles talked exclusively about how the PF defends. He did not mention the offensive side of a PF. His "PF preferences" seem to all be about defense.

oLd sKool

He's always liked PFs that can shoot. There are plenty of Joe Smith style elbow jumpers available in his system, and if you have the range, there are plenty of opportunities for long range shots. Its one of the reasons he played Nocioni at PF so much despite Noc then having to guard guys like Rasheed Wallace in the post.

Besides, according to PP he talked about spacing the floor with Ersan so he talked about the offensive side of the ball at the position today.

And of course defense is important. Its always important with Skiles. But he also loves shooters.
old skool
General Manager
And1: 3,510

Post#150 » by old skool » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:12 pm

You're right. He did mention Ersan's ability to spread the floor. But what he said was that John Hammond previously alluded to the fact that Hammond is looking to put together a team built on a PG, a center and three shooters. Then sKiles said that he is a fan of Ersan, etc.

He did not make those comments talking about the PF position - his PF comments were 100% about defense.

oLd sKool
Ayt
RealGM
And1: 13,792

Post#151 » by Ayt » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:15 pm

Skiles comments on the PF position were 100% about defense yet he mentioned Ersan's ability to spread the floor with the 3 ball at the PF position. Got it.

I'm not going to argue with you about it. I've watched enough of Skiles both here and especially in Chicago to know the types of players he likes.
step3profit
Analyst

Post#152 » by step3profit » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:16 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:
bplus wrote:Agreed. I thought that was weird as well. 15 points, sure. 18 shots a game? Doubtful unless his jump shot finally graduated from college.

I wouldn't read much into that. I don't think Skiles was thinking through the percentages. Just making the general point that Bogut needs to step it up. And again, I'll admit I didn't expect to hear the brass publicly putting some expectations on Andrew. That one came out of left field IMO.

It's needed. I've been a fan of the guy since the beginning but there needs to be no more of the pouty BS when he's having a bad game. This has to be the year where he shows he's put it together, injury or not.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks

Post#153 » by paulpressey25 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:18 pm

Maybe the audio will be up on the Bucks website so you guys can listen. I could have transcribed it incorrectly. I just know that Skiles was talking about how Orlando had those guys like Lewis who could spread the floor, hence your formerly prototype bruising PF can't guard him........then it seemed like the lightbulb went off in Skiles head about how the Bucks have Ersan who can do the same thing, so he mentioned him specifically.

xTitan
RealGM
And1: 2,283

Post#154 » by xTitan » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:29 pm

If Jennings is 1/2 the player the young masses believe him to be I would expect Bogut to average 18 PPG because he should easily pick up 3 "easy" baskets a game just by having this awesome PG who can create for his teammate.....bogut has never had that with the Bucks since he has been here.
REDDzone
RealGM
And1: 5,126

Post#155 » by REDDzone » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:31 pm

PP > god.

I had forgotten all about this, come back and have a full transcript right in front of my face. I love this forum.
Stephen Jackson wrote:Make sure u want these problems. Goggle me slime. Im in da streets.
Newz
Banned User
And1: 2,551

Post#156 » by Newz » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:34 pm

xTitan wrote:If Jennings is 1/2 the player the young masses believe him to be I would expect Bogut to average 18 PPG because he should easily pick up 3 "easy" baskets a game just by having this awesome PG who can create for his teammate.....bogut has never had that with the Bucks since he has been here.

Jennings could be good. He's not a miracle worker though.

Bogut wouldn't be a 18 PPG guy with Chris Paul on the team, honestly.
step3profit
Analyst

Post#157 » by step3profit » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:36 pm

REDDzone wrote:PP > god.

I had forgotten all about this, come back and have a full transcript right in front of my face. I love this forum.

For serious. I didn't think about it too much until I saw this thread. It was way more in depth than I would have imagined (both the thread and the conference call itself).
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,272

Post#158 » by LUKE23 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:39 pm

Bogut needed 11.7 shots to get 14.4 PPG in 07-08. So with any FT improvement, he should be able to get to 15 ppg on 12 shots max (that would assume his FG% drops to 51% again, instead of staying in 53-55% range). Whether he actually gets 12 remains to be seen. He got 11.7 in 35 mpg in 2007-08, and that was with a shoot-first PG.
BadWolf
General Manager
And1: 3,275

Post#159 » by BadWolf » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:40 pm

Hammond contradicts himself so often.
Delfino and Warrick have value but not CV? They can walk to...
Not wanting another Session?
He got Warrick for Session?
wow..
I really don't get this offseason
There are to many players with similar value at SF/PF, most of them tweeners that can probably play both positions.
step3profit
Analyst

Post#160 » by step3profit » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:46 pm

BadWolf wrote:Hammond contradicts himself so often.
Delfino and Warrick have value but not CV? They can walk to...
Not wanting another Session?
He got Warrick for Session?
wow..
I really don't get this offseason
There are to many players with similar value at SF/PF, most of them tweeners that can probably play both positions.

Surely the guy will spin it the way he sees it, or else he wouldn't do the moves.

Delfino and Warrick's contracts are vastly different than CV, so I don't see the similarity there.

Not wanting another Sessions = Not wanting to have bloated contracts a la Gadz and Redd which restrict your pursuit of other players

Warrick was signed for (reputedly) the same money per year ($3 million) that the team was willing to offer Sessions.

The main thing Hammond has done that I didn't understand was getting RJ in the first place instead of trying for a different deal to get rid of Simmons and his contract. Beyond that, I've thought most of what he has done has been a pretty logical progression, but, the season will have to play out before we really know.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks