Hammond & Skiles Conference Call - Today - Page 5

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

Sigra
RealGM
And1: 1,256

Re: Hammond & Skiles Conference Call - Today - Page 5 

Post#361 » by Sigra » Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:03 am

Great thread.

"Skiles: I always want to run. That starts on the defensive end. Last year we started out good defensively and lost our anchor Andrew."

Without Andrew we sucks indeed. He has to be healthy

"Not once did he blame the loss of CV or Sessions on the luxury tax."

No he didn't. Milwaukee media guys may did that but that doesn't mean that Hammond told them that. We didn't keep CV because we didn't want to pay as much as Detroit did and we knew that someone will pay that much. We didn't keep Ramon because he is not that good and we prefered Warrick insteed. Simple as that.
Sigra
RealGM

Post#362 » by Sigra » Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:05 am

LUKE23 wrote:So we knew we weren't bringing CV back in Feb, but we didn't look to package him, and we chose Hakim Warrick over Ramon Sessions?

We did look to trade CV but other teams didn't want to give anything for him when they knew that they can have him signed after the season. And yes we prefered Warrick over Sassions. Good call
LISTEN2JAZZ
RealGM
And1: 172

Post#363 » by LISTEN2JAZZ » Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:06 am

Sigra wrote:We didn't keep Ramon because he is not that good and we prefered Warrick insteed. Simple as that.

yeah, that's not what Hammond said, so it isn't "simple as that."
MilBucksBackOnTop06
Banned User
And1: 14

Post#364 » by MilBucksBackOnTop06 » Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:07 am

LUKE23 wrote:That's a good point. If CV at his deal wasn't an asset, when you had QO or RFA rights on him and he was on a rookie scale, why would Warrick and Delfino have value? It's also odd that he would say that, but then he wouldn't trade a guy he's not going to re-sign in Sessions for Conley and a 1st rounder (with JA). Contradictions abound.

There are no "contradictions.." You just can't read! He answered your question 10 times already it is a waste of time to even bother anymore...
Sigra
RealGM

Post#365 » by Sigra » Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:32 am

For the record, if healthy I'm calling 42-48 wins
Wise1
RealGM
And1: 256

Post#366 » by Wise1 » Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:02 pm

Jennings has sooo much more natural ability than both Sessions and Ridnour. Without evidence of actual games at this point, I do believe that we've upgraded perhaps the most important position on the floor.

At the 7:00 mark of this video, Jennings made this backboard lob to Jrue Holiday look tooo easy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTFGjbmcoqM&NR=1

Having a guy with his vision and flair for passing makes the game a lot easier for his teammates. Bogut is going to love this guy. Jennings will love Bogut's ability to catch and finish with either hand.
Bogut will need to help his young point guard by working to establish deep position and using proper leverage and angles. If Bogut can control the defender in the post, Jennings should make playing basketball a joy for him. He'll get the ball.
old skool
General Manager
And1: 3,510

Post#367 » by old skool » Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:39 pm

Sigra,

Hammond did not say that he liked Warrick better than Sessions.

He said that Sessions decided not to play for the Bucks, that he turned down a fair Bucks offer and preferred to pursue an offer sheet from another team instead of trying to work out a deal with the Bucks. When Sessions wanted to find a contract from another team, Hammond looked at the other players available and decided to sign Warrick instead. Hammond definitely said that he wanted to bring Sessions back, but that Sessions made the decision to not come back by deciding not to negotiate a contract with the Bucks. Hammond was quite clear on that.

Hammond never said that Sessions was not good or not as good as Warrick.

Hammond said that Sessions was not ready to sign a contract with the Bucks or work out a fair contract (fair obviously in Hammond's mind) and the Bucks could not wait while the available free agents were being signed.

oLd sKool
GHOSTofSIKMA
RealGM
And1: 8,108

Post#368 » by GHOSTofSIKMA » Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:27 am

old skool wrote:Sigra,

Hammond did not say that he liked Warrick better than Sessions.

So in other words...
Hammond pretended like sessions was an UFA, and just like 28 other teams....

He chose to pursue other options with his available 3-4 million to spend in free agency this offseason.

It wasn't like the Bucks pretended we wanted ramon or cv all that much to begin with. The guy was for all intents and purposes unrestricted if you were an opposing gm.
old skool
General Manager
And1: 3,510

Post#369 » by old skool » Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:50 pm

Hammond did not treat Sessions like a UFA. He said that he wanted to resign Sessions. It was only after Sessions turned down the Bucks offer and did not want to negotiate a contract with the Bucks that Hammond looked at other available free agents.

Once Hammond signed Warrick, there was less money available for Sessions. Hammond said that he did not want to be kept waiting by Sessions while free agents were being signed. Hammond made it clear that it was not just about interest in Sessions, but also about timing, because time is of the essence during the free agent signing period.

oLd sKool
Wise1
RealGM
And1: 256

Post#370 » by Wise1 » Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:14 pm

Wise1 wrote:Jennings has sooo much more natural ability than both Sessions and Ridnour. Without evidence of actual games at this point, I do believe that we've upgraded perhaps the most important position on the floor.

At the 7:00 mark of this video, Jennings made this backboard lob to Jrue Holiday look tooo easy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTFGjbmcoqM&NR=1

Having a guy with his vision and flair for passing makes the game a lot easier for his teammates. Bogut is going to love this guy. Jennings will love Bogut's ability to catch and finish with either hand.
Bogut will need to help his young point guard by working to establish deep position and using proper leverage and angles. If Bogut can control the defender in the post, Jennings should make playing basketball a joy for him. He'll get the ball.

Did coach Sampson read this? Sounds a lot like an article that I read recently. lol.
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,328

Post#371 » by El Duderino » Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:40 pm

old skool wrote:Hammond did not treat Sessions like a UFA. He said that he wanted to resign Sessions. It was only after Sessions turned down the Bucks offer and did not want to negotiate a contract with the Bucks that Hammond looked at other available free agents.

Once Hammond signed Warrick, there was less money available for Sessions. Hammond said that he did not want to be kept waiting by Sessions while free agents were being signed. Hammond made it clear that it was not just about interest in Sessions, but also about timing, because time is of the essence during the free agent signing period.

oLd sKool

I believe there is something to that and i don't believe Sessions agent when he said Ramon was fine with returning to the Bucks. I think he saw us draft Jennings and took that as the Bucks didn't view him as an integral piece, thus he only would return if we matched any offer, which he'd prefer we didn't. Kinda like how Bell wanted to move on when he was a RFA.

As for Jennings, loved the pick and his potential, just have no clue how long his developmental curve will take. Hope it's quick. Do like everything i've seen and read about his attitude overall and work ethic. This is the most excited i've been over a Bucks draft pick since we won the lottery.
pasting_monkeys
Starter
And1: 1

Post#372 » by pasting_monkeys » Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:15 am

europa wrote:Delfino is an OK rebounder but again I don't see any reason to believe he'd be better at it than M&M. I just don't see where he provides an upgrade. I worry about the fact that overall, he's a horrible shooter, he doesn't get to the FT line (a rather significant downgrade from RJ) and his overall game is pedestrian at best.

Europa, if you look at Delfino's true shooting % from his last year in the NBA, it definitely paints a different picture of his shooting ability. His TS% was 52.7%, and the reason his actual FG% was so low, was because half of his shots were threes. He averaged 7.7 total shot attempts per game, including 3.8 three point attempts, so of course his overall percentage is going to be low.

In the case of Delfino, i don't think you can point to his FG% and call him a terrible shooter, you gotta look deeper. I suggest checking out his advanced stats, here: http://www.basketball-reference.com/pla ... ica01.html
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,272

Post#373 » by LUKE23 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:29 am

His last year in the NBA he had a TS of .519, which isn't good at all (would have been 38th best for small forwards last year). His career mark of .483 is terrible.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,315

Post#374 » by paulpressey25 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:33 am

LUKE23 wrote:His last year in the NBA he had a TS of .519, which isn't good at all (would have been 38th best for small forwards last year). His career mark of .483 is terrible.

I'm seeing his career TS at .508% although still not that far off from what you cite. The big question is whether he can shoot the 3-ball at a 38-40% clip. He never did that his first three years in the league. So will be be a guy who maintains that 38% or gets better at it? Or will that percentage revert back to the 30-32% level? He's really got to hit the 3-ball to be an effective player and give us a hope of him replacing some of what RJ gave us.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,431

Post#375 » by trwi7 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:37 am

You have it right PP. Luke must be looking at his career playoff TS%.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
paul
RealGM
And1: 1,038

Post#376 » by paul » Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:44 am

paulpressey25 wrote:
LUKE23 wrote:His last year in the NBA he had a TS of .519, which isn't good at all (would have been 38th best for small forwards last year). His career mark of .483 is terrible.

I'm seeing his career TS at .508% although still not that far off from what you cite. The big question is whether he can shoot the 3-ball at a 38-40% clip. He never did that his first three years in the league. So will be be a guy who maintains that 38% or gets better at it? Or will that percentage revert back to the 30-32% level? He's really got to hit the 3-ball to be an effective player and give us a hope of him replacing some of what RJ gave us.

Yep, this will really determine whether he's a successful player for us or just another 'guy'. He shot the 3 ball at around 42% in Europe last season, his last season in the NBA he shot it at 38% on almost 4 attempts per game. If he can do at least that as well as defending, rebounding and passing at solid levels he'll be an extremely effective player for this team imo.
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,272

Post#377 » by LUKE23 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:54 am

My bad, I was looking at playoffs.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,315

Post#378 » by paulpressey25 » Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:00 am

LUKE23 wrote:My bad, I was looking at playoffs.

Your point still stands. He's not a good scorer nor necessarily a good shooter save for that 38% 3-ball mark from his last year in Toronto. So is he a player who will find his role and bring some upside? Or was his season with Toronto his high water mark? We'll find out.

If he shoots 40% from 3 on high volume of three's and can rebound at say a 6.5rpg per 36mpg clip he can then maybe be as effective a player as RJ but for one-fourth the money, since presumably he'll defend better than RJ did last year.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
jerrod
RealGM
And1: 133
Location: The Berkeley of the midwest/ born with the intent/ to distress any government/ right of the left

Post#379 » by jerrod » Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:19 am

Wise1 wrote: Without evidence of actual games at this point, I do believe that we've upgraded perhaps the most important position on the floor.

i love it
WEFFPIM
RealGM
And1: 473

Post#380 » by WEFFPIM » Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:15 am

jerrod wrote:
Wise1 wrote: Without evidence of actual games at this point, I do believe that we've upgraded perhaps the most important position on the floor.

i love it

It's faaaaantastic
ReddWing wrote:Being a fan of this team is tantamount to being in hell...There is no Christ that is coming to save us. Even if there was, we'd trade him for a 28 year old wing.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks