Hammond & Skiles Conference Call - Today - Page 5

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,142

Re: Hammond & Skiles Conference Call - Today - Page 5 

Post#81 » by paulpressey25 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:39 pm

Pete??: Irritates me when players reach with their hands and get fouls. Can our new guys defend at the hoop?

Skiles: The really good defenses don't have all great individual defenders. They play together. If when we get into camp and a certain player is not a great defender, if he plays within our scheme, we will still be a good defensive and rebounding team.

Sheila: Last 7-8 years we've had a lot of turnover....no time to gell. Will this roster stay together?

Hammond: Sheila...you are 100% right. We need some sort of core that we build around. Keep talking about Bogut as anchor of D. Bogut must turn out to be a core piece (including scoring). Jennings may be a core piece. We HAVE to have at least 2-3 guys who are core pieces we build around and we can't/won't trade them. We can't continue turnover. Need a core.

Dave: How long will Skiles be patient enough to stick around as coach? ....I love Skiles. Hammond, you said at last fan event our core was RJ, Redd, Bogut and CV. We've lost 3 of those 5 guys. How long will people keep coming back if you don't give Skiles what he needs (rambling rant---slight rip on Hammond)

Hammond: We move forward looking to improve our roster. I hear you. Every move we make we think is the right move for our roster today and the future.....no one wants to win as much.

Skiles: John and I don't have the type of relationship where John is out making arbitrary moves I don't agree with. We talk each day with each other. As long as I'm somewhere where I know we are trying to get better, I'm ok with that.

Hammond:
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
drew881
RealGM
And1: 4,981

Post#82 » by drew881 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:43 pm

Bet Dave will get a lot of fan appeasing coupons in the mail after that rant.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,085

Post#83 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:44 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:Because of depth at PF, we can get Carlos. Got him a good contract for us. We need to sign guys at contracts like this. Delfino at his contract is also an asset to other teams around the league. We need more assets like this.

Oh my **** god did he really just say that or are you screwing with us PP.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks

Post#84 » by paulpressey25 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:45 pm

Dan: Many contracts falling off our cap. What about Dwayne Wade? Will we make a run at a guy like that?

Hammond: Our expiring contracts are assets for us into the season and up to the trade deadline. We are getting our financial house in order. We will be able to add a quality piece or two. But will not be a major player in FA THIS summer. But the following summer we will have significant cap room. We are one summer away from the being the major player you are talking about. But that day is coming when we will have options like that.

Randy: Update on progress of Joe Alexander?

Skiles: Joe's had a very good summer. Worked hard. Improved. Joe is in a tough spot. He has other wing players around him and he has to differentiate himself. LRMAM is there and great defender. Joe must become better in that area. We'll see how it plays out in camp and the season.

James: BC is fan friendly environment. John, how much of your day goes into making the BC fan friendly. New ideas or programs for young kids?

Hammond: Important for Kohl that our outreach extends into the community and games.....have players willing to interact with fans. Important we have the right people on our roster. People that like people. We want a team that even if we have a loss, you go home and say we didn't give up. If we win we are gracious winners. Life lessons for young kids.

paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks

Post#85 » by paulpressey25 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:49 pm

Marshall: Coach--who is on the team that has as much fire as you did when on the team under Nellie?

Skiles: I wasn't a factor here as a rookie (but understand the question)......but we have several guys that are feisty. We want guys who won't back down.

Marshall: I know Danny G on the bench a lot. I think he's a high energy guy. Can he play more in your scheme?

Skiles: Anything is possible...........pause.....Danny did well at times last year when Andrew was out. Danny could be a backup if we become more a running team. Anything possible. Spots behind Andrew are wide open. (I read Skiles answers as he doesn't have faith in Danny G.)

Next caller: Seems like PF likes to go out and shoot 3's. What do you want from PF?

Skiles: Many teams today have PG, big man and 3 shooters to spread floor...ex Orlando. If you have a classic big bruising PF's, those guys can't guard Rashard Lewis. Detroit may play Gordon, Hamilton, Stuckey and Prince at the 4 (note: yes, Skiles did say "Gordon" and he didn't mention CV) We will need different guys on different nights. Guy I'm a fan of is Ersan. He's improved so much. He can spread the floor and make 3's at the PF position.

paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks

Post#86 » by paulpressey25 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:54 pm

Andrew: CV and Ramon left and we got nothing back. No players, picks, etc. Questioning decision since enormous cap space in two-years. Why allowed to just walk? What is strategy in two years?

Hammond: Let me talk CV first. We knew CV was going to get opportunities and get offer in his range. Almost $40mm offer. Happy for CV. But with our salary structure, we couldn't retain him. WE KNEW THAT (Hammond's tone was clear that he knew that Bucks couldn't afford CV back in February).

With Ramon we thought we could bring him back. Not the case of losing Ramon for nothing here. Remember, Ramon was a FA. He's free to make his own decision (on where he wants to play) His option was to wait...wait...wait and see what was out there. We weren't going to wait all summer. We did get something back for him...Hakim Warrick. Used that money. Happy it worked out for Ramon. But if they would have come to us and talked about a fair offer......they didn't. Waited all summer. We moved forward and did our job.

Skiles: Hope no one thinks because we lose a CV that John or Jeff (Weltman) are doing nothing. Teams said why give the Bucks anything at the last trading deadline when we can sign CV for free in the summer. Intelligent people on the other end saying we can sign the guy for free.

Hammond: We want to make sure Jennings and LRMAM aren't our next CV and Sessions. That's why we need to get our financial house in order. So we can keep guys like that in the future.

Ayt
RealGM
And1: 13,785

Post#87 » by Ayt » Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:55 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:Skiles: Many times have PG, big man and 3 shooters to spread floor...ex Orlando. Big bruising PF's can't guard Rashard Lewis. Detroit may play Gordon, Hamilton, Stuckey and Prince at the 4 (didn't mention CV??) We will need different guys on different nights. Guy I'm a fan of is Ersan. He's improved so much. He can spread the floor and make 3's at the PF position.

Impossible.
smooth 'lil balla
Assistant Coach
And1: 8

Post#88 » by smooth 'lil balla » Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:56 pm

this is the greatest thread ever. well done PP. Keep it coming!
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks

Post#89 » by paulpressey25 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:59 pm

Neil: You talk about financial house, etc. But are you satisfied with all positions going into camp? Are you thinking about picking up another player or two?

Hammond: Scott and I continuing to look at roster. Continue to talk to teams. We did it Today, yesterday...will do it tomorrow. We aren't sitting back in our chairs. We won 34 games last year. Continue to improve the team.

Emory: Been a big fan of Kurt Thomas with Knicks. Brought physical toughness. What type of role will he have this year?

Skiles: KT still has toughness. Still in good shape. Outstanding low post defender...can still hit outside shot.....backup 4 or 5...not sure, but he can fill 13-17mpg role somewhere. Leads by example. Not afraid to speak up. Unsung guy who could really help us.

Jim P.: Is this season one where you can win games early?

Skiles: This seasons early schedule looks easier than last year's. We must be more dominant at home. Big goal is to dominate at the BC.

Hammond: Some may say these were too hard or too easy questions today. We won't run from the situation. We have a lot of work to do. We will work the right way. No one wants to win more than Scott or I. Kohl also committed to winning. Owner not "save, save, save" but "win, win, win". We will get the job done.

paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks

Post#90 » by paulpressey25 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:00 pm

Jim P: Remember fans......Open practice at the BC on October 3rd. More details to come on this event. Camp opens in 12-days.

old skool
General Manager
And1: 3,499

Post#91 » by old skool » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:02 pm

I thought that the Bucks did a great job with the conference. They touched on most of the key issues, even though a lot depends on "we will have to wait and see".

oLd sKool
InsideOut
Lead Assistant
And1: 534

Post#92 » by InsideOut » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:02 pm

paulpressey25 wrote: Dan: I'm not a big fan of FA since teams overpay. We need to draft our players and retain them.

Hammond: Dan, you are right that if you can do it, no better way to do it.....CBA set up for it....build through the draft. You need to get that special guy. Guys like Jennings and Bogut....are those the pieces you can build around? You need building blocks.....for the most part you get those through the draft.

Well Hammond and I finally agree on something. There is no better way to build than the draft. That is where we can get "that special guy" and the "building blocks" we need. Now if he can only explain to me how we are going to be drafting those guys while winning 40 games and picking around 14.
smalls
Junior
And1: 0

Post#93 » by smalls » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:05 pm

PP u rock
smooth 'lil balla
Assistant Coach

Post#94 » by smooth 'lil balla » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:05 pm

InsideOut wrote:
paulpressey25 wrote: Dan: I'm not a big fan of FA since teams overpay. We need to draft our players and retain them.

Hammond: Dan, you are right that if you can do it, no better way to do it.....CBA set up for it....build through the draft. You need to get that special guy. Guys like Jennings and Bogut....are those the pieces you can build around? You need building blocks.....for the most part you get those through the draft.

Well Hammond and I finally agree on something. There is no better way to build than the draft. That is where we can get "that special guy" and the "building blocks" we need. Now if he can only explain to me how we are going to be drafting those guys while winning 40 games and picking around 14.

Let's see. Danny Granger. Manu Ginobli. Dirk Nowitzki. Tony Parker. Shawn Marion. Michael Redd. Need I go on? It can be done.
Badgerlander
RealGM
And1: 6,978

Post#95 » by Badgerlander » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:05 pm

Somebody should've asked when Redd would be healthy enough to trade, lol.

Thanks PP
Shoot, Move, and Communicate...

Spoiler:

I'm just here for my own amusement,"don't take offense at my innuendo..."

Countless waze, we pass the daze...

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
Thunder Muscle
RealGM
And1: 1,063

Post#96 » by Thunder Muscle » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:05 pm

It was an interesting conference. Whether you like the answers/questions or not, I think the concept of it was kind of cool. I thought they let some of tougher questions be asked, but obviously the caller didn't have a chance to rebut their answer. So that made it easier. It seemed to me they had no interest in Charlie V and they initially did with Sessions but along the line just soured on him. I wonder if there was not more behind the scenes than what came out. Regardless Hammond has given his future to Jennings and if he flops, he's screwed. Also seems like they are going to bank on Bogut, which I like, but is risky given his recent injury issues.

I'm curious to see what happens - I could see it go either way.
Wise1
RealGM
And1: 256

Post#97 » by Wise1 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:07 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:Dr. Bill: We lost 40ppg with losing RJ and CV. How do we replace those points?

Skiles: We need multiple players to step up. Bogut must step up to 15ppg.....he must take 15-18 shots a game since he scores at a high percentage. Warrick has scored off the bench in Memphis. Brandon can step in and score. My coaching philosophy though is defend and rebound. The points will come. But Bogut is one guy who can step into a scoring role for us.

Rob: PG and Center two most important positions according to what you say. Is Jennings the key to everything....him being a superstar? Then fill in the other three slots?

Hammond: Two hardest spots to fill are PG and C. We have to look at our jobs as if we are doing them for 10-years. Long-term outlook. Jennings has attributes to be a special PG...time will tell. Those two guys must play well. Then build around PG and C.

This is EXACTLY what I called for as well. No doubt about that coach Skiles.
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,337

Post#98 » by crkone » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:10 pm

So Skiles says, "Warrick has scored off the bench in Memphis" and "Guy I'm a fan of is Ersan. He's improved so much. He can spread the floor and make 3's at the PF position." These two sentences may tell you something about his initial ideas. A lot can change but its good to here that he is gushing over Ersan and saying Warrick is what he is, a scorer off the bench.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
Newz
Banned User
And1: 2,551

Post#99 » by Newz » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:11 pm

Bogut better be able to score 15-16 a night if we hope to win... The only guy that I see as a legit scoring option on his team is Redd, so Bogut needs to step up.
smooth 'lil balla
Assistant Coach

Post#100 » by smooth 'lil balla » Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:13 pm

smooth 'lil balla wrote:
InsideOut wrote:

Let's see. Danny Granger. Manu Ginobli. Dirk Nowitzki. Tony Parker. Shawn Marion. Michael Redd. Need I go on? It can be done.

Adding Caron Butler, Carlos Boozer, Steve Nasyh, Amare Stoudemire, Al Jefferson.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks