ImageImage

MJS first day of camp story (Potsie out)

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

aboveAverage
RealGM
And1: 2,611

Re: MJS first day of camp story (Potsie out) 

Post#21 » by aboveAverage » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:20 pm

I'm glad we look good in practice. Most teams do, playing against their bench players. We'll see how this team is in preseason.
carmelbrownqueen
RealGM
And1: 42

Post#22 » by carmelbrownqueen » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:21 pm

Thanks for the report GAD.. and good to read something that isn't filled with the requiste doom and gloom that has enveloped the boards all offseason long.

Sounds like a great practice. Regarding Jennings, I'm not worried this was his first "official" practice for an NBA team.. I expect that there were probably times when he thought it best to feel things out rather than do everything he is capable of doing. This is still somewhat new to him so I won't read too much into his lack of passing or his failure to fully impress you with his actions during this practice.

Great also to hear that both Redd and Bogut appear ready to play... Lastly, I'm not worried about Joe Alexander at this point. He seems to have a mild hamstring issue and that's okay.. just get him back on the court sometime soon so he can continue building confidence and develop his skills is all I ask.
"Too many people ask for help, and sometimes you have to help yourself." - Jerry Sloan

"We don't accept anything but winning. We don't accept anything but playing hard." - John Hammond
GrandAdmiralDan
RealGM
And1: 1,291

Post#23 » by GrandAdmiralDan » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:24 pm

steger_3434 wrote:I hope I didn't imply that I thought Jennings should be great from the beginning. I know it's going to take time for him to amount to the star I hope he is. With that said, you don't have to be great to drive into the lane to create. He's supposedly already one of the fastest players in the NBA with a good handle. If he can't at least get into the lane or try to get into the lane he's going to have an awful rookie year. I"m talking JAish awful.

I would say that you can START to get worried about that after the first preseason game. Jennings should be doing those things by then. If still not so much after the SECOND preseason game, then you should get more worried, etc., etc.

Then again, I don't think we'll have anyway to watch those first preseason games, will we?

Actually, now that I think of it, I would expect Saturday's practice to be almost entirely scrimmage, so we should hopefully start to see these things out of Jennings on Saturday.
97-98
Nick Van Exel (LAL) on defending the Stockton-Malone pick-and-roll: "Yeah,
I got a way to defend it. Bring a bat to the game and kill one of them."
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,418

Post#24 » by trwi7 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:28 pm

GrandAdmiralDan wrote:Then again, I don't think we'll have anyway to watch those first preseason games, will we?

I guessing there will be a "way", but we can't post it on here or post our email addresses to get the link anymore.

The third preseason game will be on WGN though.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
GrandAdmiralDan
RealGM
And1: 1,291

Post#25 » by GrandAdmiralDan » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:35 pm

aboveAverage wrote:I'm glad we look good in practice. Most teams do, playing against their bench players. We'll see how this team is in preseason.

That is not entirely true. Not every team practices well. And I even specifically compared this practice to other Bucks practices I've seen (or have been described to me in detail) with Bucks teams that had rosters I liked better than this current roster, and I gave the highest marks to this practice.

Generally, I do agree with you. Another point here is that we didn't split the teams into starters vs. bench players. The groups were mixed. The "starters" were still always matched up against bench players, but both the starters AND the bench players managed to look good (with the exception of the 4 camp fodder scrubs, Gadzuric, and Elson).

I'm still annoyed at plenty of things that have transpired with the Bucks, but I also see good things here and it is ok to start getting a little excited for Bucks season I think :)
97-98

Nick Van Exel (LAL) on defending the Stockton-Malone pick-and-roll: "Yeah,

I got a way to defend it. Bring a bat to the game and kill one of them."
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,869

Post#26 » by emunney » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:37 pm

How would you describe the culture? Sounds different... changed somehow.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
fightingfury
Junior
And1: 3

Post#27 » by fightingfury » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:53 pm

Thanks a million for the report GAD. Much appreciated. I'm over the moon to hear that Bogut is back to full training, we definitely ned him on the court.
Go Bucks!
aboveAverage
RealGM

Post#28 » by aboveAverage » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:00 pm

I will say that I am thoroughly pleased with Bogut calling out players during practice. We desperately need someone to hold players accountable. Look what Kevin Garnett or Kobe can do to a team merely with their presence.

Of course, this will only work if Bogut steps up and plays well consistently. No one's going to listen to you if you suck.
raferfenix
RealGM
And1: 3,624

Post#29 » by raferfenix » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:51 pm

Phenomenal writeup GAD----FAM should feature it on his blog (with you as a guest poster perhaps) and then relay it to True Hoop.

It's rare to see that honest and insightful report for anything dealing with team interdynamics/behind the scenes details. This kind of work makes the entirety of this board better, so thanks!
raferfenix
RealGM

Post#30 » by raferfenix » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:54 pm

Clearly the best news GAD made here is his reporting about Bogut and Redd's health. Yeah, the MJS covered it, but they proven time and again to be non-credible (along with our front office in general) when it comes to injuries.

I'm also very happy to hear that Bogut is taking on more of the leadership reigns.

I'm not worried about Jennings at all, and in fact think it's better news to hear that his defense is ahead of his offense.

Lastly though, I feel like we could use some more context or details to your description of Ersan. He's one of our biggest X-factors that will determine our season.
pasting_monkeys
Starter
And1: 1

Post#31 » by pasting_monkeys » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:10 am

That report has made my day so far GAD. It's nice to have a bit of sports journalism that you can really sink your teeth into.

Thanks again GAD.
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,328

Post#32 » by El Duderino » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:13 am

Come on GAD, a few details would be nice the next time you post about a practice, that post today was weak and lacking. Shape up buddy.
WEFFPIM
RealGM
And1: 473

Post#33 » by WEFFPIM » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:30 am

GrandAdmiralDan wrote:I knew I forgot something:

At one point during the practice, a classic bit of slapstick comedy, when Gadzuric inexplicably lost control of what he was doing during a dead ball, and head-butted the front of Hakim Warrick's face.

I just pictured this in my head, and somehow I'm not surprised.
ReddWing wrote:Being a fan of this team is tantamount to being in hell...There is no Christ that is coming to save us. Even if there was, we'd trade him for a 28 year old wing.
aboveAverage
RealGM

Post#34 » by aboveAverage » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:44 am

I would like to hear some more info about Ersan as well. I'm intrigued by his performance. He seems to have become a great rebounder from what we've heard.

If there's one thing we're good at this year, it very well could be rebounding. Bogut, Ersan, Warrick, and Mbah a Moute are all good rebounders. This should hopefully lead to some fast break opportunities for Jennings and Alexander (if he gets on the court).

Could this be Hammond's real plan? Construct a good rebounding team and combine that with athletic swingmen and a quick point guard? I have to say that I like that idea. However, it's all up to Jennings. If he can be the fast break guard we envision, this could be an exciting team to watch.
Badgerlander
RealGM
And1: 6,979

Post#35 » by Badgerlander » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:07 am

Awesome, thanks GAD. I am really curious to see how the PF situation plays out, and how Warrick would react if he doesn't win the starting job.
Shoot, Move, and Communicate...

Spoiler:

I'm just here for my own amusement,"don't take offense at my innuendo..."

Countless waze, we pass the daze...

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
raferfenix
RealGM

Post#36 » by raferfenix » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:10 am

Anyone else think the Ersan vs Hakim dynamic is one of the biggest things coming out of practice?

It'd be awesome for Ersan to beat Warrick out. Then again, Warrick only came here to start, so he could pout which owuld be weak.
pasting_monkeys
Starter
And1: 1

Post#37 » by pasting_monkeys » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:36 am

DocHoliday wrote:Awesome, thanks GAD. I am really curious to see how the PF situation plays out, and how Warrick would react if he doesn't win the starting job.

Of course you are... I'm sure it would help your fantasy team a lot if Ersan starts.
paul
RealGM
And1: 1,038

Post#38 » by paul » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:43 am

Super recap GAD thanks for that. The Bogut and Redd news is fantastic and should at least put the brakes on a few of the 'they'll miss the first few months' guys for a little while. Bogut looked a little gassed in his interview with Pashke after practice but that's a good thing.

Practice's will turn into war with this team imo, I mean that in a good way. There is little question that Hammond and Skiles have purposefully put together a team that will bust their ass in practice and during games. Wait for it.......

Work hard, play hard. :D
raferfenix
RealGM

Post#39 » by raferfenix » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:59 am

paul wrote:Super recap GAD thanks for that. The Bogut and Redd news is fantastic and should at least put the breaks on a few of the 'they'll miss the first few months' guys for a little while. Bogut looked a little gassed in his interview with Pashke after practice but that's a good thing.

Practice's will turn into war with this team imo, I mean that in a good way. There is little question that Hammond and Skiles have purposefully put together a team that will bust their ass in practice and during games. Wait for it.......

Work hard, play hard. :D

If this happens it'd probably be the best case scenario for our offseason. CV definitely isn't a work ahrd play hard guy, and RJ and Sessions buying in was far from a certainty.
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,271

Post#40 » by LUKE23 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:19 am

I think Ersan will beat out Warrick. He has a better suited skillset to be a starter. Taller, better rebounder, better perimeter shooter, and from everything I've seen on Warrick and read on Ersan, a better defender. Since our PG's can't shoot, need another perimeter shooter on the floor. One of Delfino or Ersan will start, my hope is it is LRMAM/Ersan at the forwards.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks