ImageImage

MJS first day of camp story (Potsie out)

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25

europa
RealGM
And1: 471

Re: MJS first day of camp story (Potsie out) 

Post#41 » by europa » Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:12 am

GrandAdmiralDan wrote:
steger_3434 wrote:Great great great writeup Gad. The point that stuck out to me most in your novel was that BJ didn't create during the first practice. This really has me worried. I was excited as all hell when we drafted him, but after SL when I didn't see him drive and dish one single time I got worried. The "optimists" on the board said the only reason he didn't drive is that it's SL and the coaching staff wanted him to work on other aspects of his game and didn't want him to get hurt. Now we see/hear that the first day of camp he wasn't creating either. If Jennings is a PG that just moves the ball around the perimeter we're in for a rude awaking.

To be fair to Jennings, I will say that some of this was due to the drills they were doing today. Some of the drills weren't at all designed for the PG to create. In some of the drills, the offense was supposed to move the ball around in a specific sequence. So I've got to give Jennings a pass for THOSE drills. However, there were drills that he could have shown more in, but didn't.
I wouldn't worry about Jennings... YET.

He didn't attack the basket or show an indication he could consistently and effectively create in the paint during Summer League either. I think that is something to watch given how badly the Bucks now need that skill from the PG position this season.

Like you, I'm glad to hear Bogut and Redd looked good. Unlike you, I'm glad to hear that about Redd not because I want him gone but because I want to see the Bucks get back to the playoffs and I don't see them having any chance to do that without a healthy Redd (and even a healthy Redd might not be enough, but that's another story).
Nothing will not break me.
JHSFIVE
Starter
And1: 214

Post#42 » by JHSFIVE » Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:12 am

Yeah, I'm not concerned one bit about BJennings being "tentative"... Afterall, he is a PG that is trying to get on board with (i'll say) one of the stronger HC personalities in the league who also happens to be a PG.

Once BJ really begins to understand what Skiles wants from the PG position I bet he'll get way more comfortable and it'll show.

I can't wait.
paul
RealGM
And1: 1,038

Post#43 » by paul » Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:17 am

Agreed JHS, no concerns whatsoever about Jennings being a bit tentative in his very first official NBA practice. If anything I actually think it's a good thing - if he was the egomaniac we were led to believe he was before the draft he would surely have come in and tried to dominate straight away, I like that early on he's feeling his way a bit.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,873

Post#44 » by emunney » Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:19 am

I would prefer he try to dominate right away and then adjust as necessary.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,271

Post#45 » by LUKE23 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:20 am

emunney wrote:I would prefer he try to dominate right away and then adjust as necessary.

Yep.
europa
RealGM

Post#46 » by europa » Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:21 am

emunney wrote:I would prefer he try to dominate right away and then adjust as necessary.

I'm hoping he gives Skiles no reasons whatsoever to start Ridnour. A poor camp from Sessions doomed him last season. I don't want to see Jennings follow suit. I want to see him take the PG position by the throat and force Ridnour to the bench.
paul
RealGM
And1: 1,038

Post#47 » by paul » Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:26 am

I wouldn't. Like it or not there's a pecking order in the NBA and he's a rookie. I want him to do exactly what his coach tells him to do and I don't wanting him stomping his way over toes in the locker room during his first week of practice. If you guys do then as Bobby Brown would say that's 'your perogative', but team chemistry is going to be vital moving forward and a 19 year old coming in and hogging the ball during his first practice is not going to help that. Actually I think he just turned 20 but the point stands.

Jennings has plenty of time to showcase his wide array of skills this week, no need to do it in the first two hours and get reemed by a coach who is renowned for his 'my way' approach and possibly get a few teammates offside right from the getgo.

Ease your way in then take over when the time arrives Brennings.
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,271

Post#48 » by LUKE23 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:29 am

It has nothing to do with hogging the ball. It's taking over games right away, whether it be clutch shots, getting into the lane, etc. Doesn't have anything to do with hogging it. Like it or not, we will know VERY early whether Jennings will be a superstar. The great players show flashes season one, and early. If we don't see any of those flashes out of Jennings as a rookie, chances are he won't be special. The earlier the better, practice or games.
JHSFIVE
Starter
And1: 214

Post#49 » by JHSFIVE » Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:36 am

europa wrote:I'm hoping he gives Skiles no reasons whatsoever to start Ridnour.

Yeah and if he were to come in here being all cute and "and1-like" with the ball instead of listening to the coaches and being focused on their objectives Skiles would probably be all over Jennings' a$$

Makes sense to me.
europa
RealGM

Post#50 » by europa » Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:45 am

I don't want to see Jennings cop an attitude. But I do want to see him be assertive and stake a claim to the starting PG position immediately. Hammond and Skiles have pinned their futures to him so I'd just as soon see the future start now rather than have it sit behind Luke Ridnour on the bench.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,873

Post#51 » by emunney » Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:18 am

How does "dominate" imply "hogging the ball" and "being all cute and 'and1-like'"? It just means he's able to administer his will to the game free of meaningful interference. He's unstoppable. He does what he wants.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
bigkurty
General Manager
And1: 1,511

Post#52 » by bigkurty » Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:19 am

europa wrote:I don't want to see Jennings cop an attitude. But I do want to see him be assertive and stake a claim to the starting PG position immediately. Hammond and Skiles have pinned their futures to him so I'd just as soon see the future start now rather than have it sit behind Luke Ridnour on the bench.

Thats why I liked that interview at the golf event, he said his goal was to start from day one and didn't give the normal line of "I just want to help the team in whatever role crap." Great players usually don't say that crap.

Hey GAD, thanks buddy. Got a question for you though. You seemed impressed by Ersan's game and that makes me very happy since I have been a Ersan supporter since his first go round here. What exactly did you see from him that had you so impressed? Specifically how good does he box out on boards and D up? Did he show any post moves whatsoever? How was his ball handling skills and ability to create his own shot?
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,424

Post#53 » by trwi7 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:24 am

bigkurty wrote: Did he show any post moves whatsoever?

I mentioned this during one of the games in the tournament he played in this year. That's not his game at all. He's strictly a shooter and garbage basket kind of guy on offense.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
thomchatt3rton
Head Coach
And1: 2,231

Post#54 » by thomchatt3rton » Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:34 am

trwi7 wrote:
bigkurty wrote: Did he show any post moves whatsoever?

I mentioned this during one of the games in the tournament he played in this year. That's not his game at all. He's strictly a shooter and garbage basket kind of guy on offense.

Yeah, from what i've seen from overseas he's got nothing in the post. Even some of his clean-up baskets around the rim are embarrassing (awkward). He seems to really know his limits though and should capitalize in the high-post against mismatches almost every time, and he understands how to stretch the floor, can board etc.
I think ersan is a big question mark- he could turn out to be an impact, x-factor type (as a 6th man or component piece) or he could be strictly mediocre. I just can't tell.
Its awesome that guys playing overseas get to compete at higher levels, against NBA talent in FIBA comps, and teams can really develop/evaluate a guy like Ersan while he plays in euro-league- its not just the graveyard of NBA runners-up like it used to be.
EDIT- don't mean to denigrate the european leagues, nor the players who've played in it in the past- I realize its a different sort of game... but you know what I mean. :D
MilBucksBackOnTop06
Banned User
And1: 14

Post#55 » by MilBucksBackOnTop06 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:11 am

paulpressey25 wrote:Good to see that Bogut and Redd can run around. That is huge.

Alexander hopefully won't have any Geoff Jenkins injury problems.
:roll: Oh my goodness!
Darn! :curse: Alexander is one of the players I wanted to see! :dontknow: Hamstrings can get messy and linger a long time...

This is upsetting to say the least. Between Alexander and Moute' those two were the ones I am most interesting in seeing coming 'open practice.' We have to begin to nail down that SF spot with some big time production!
If Bah Moute' has not learned to improve his shot, his handle and getting to the rim and finishing to round out his game I will be a bit disappointed...and he maybe one of my favorite players on this entire team as of now.
But one has to see some improvement. The door is wide open for him and Alexander to advantage of.
He goes into this seaon as my leading canidate for Most Improved Player in the entire league.
Some will get Most Improved mixed up with Comeback Player of the Year (which they disbanded) and give that award to some guy who is proven but missed some time and who had just came back from injury over a guy who really actually worked on their game and got better.
Mike X
Starter
And1: 13

Post#56 » by Mike X » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:57 am

Thanks for the great re-cap GAD.
Jez2983
RealGM
And1: 7,959

Post#57 » by Jez2983 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:04 pm

I'm going to toot my own horn loudly. I said around the time of Redd's injury that he should be right for pre-season camp (in my professional opinion) and he is.

The only danger of him re-doing an ACL now is if he does the same thing he did the first time. And if it stuffed his ACL the first time, it'll stuff it the second time too. His agility/power is another issue. But I trust the Bucks rehab guys will get him pretty close to where he would have been if he'd had no ACL issue.

Thanks GAD for the great recap.

Now, to bask in my self-bestowed e-cred...
trwi7 wrote:Will be practicing my best Australian accent for tomorrow.

"Hey ya wankers. I graduated from Aranmore back in 2010 and lost me yearbook. Is there any way you didgeridoos can send anotha yearbook me way?"
step3profit
Analyst
And1: 819

Post#58 » by step3profit » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:12 pm

Jez2983 wrote:I'm going to toot my own horn loudly. I said around the time of Redd's injury that he should be right for pre-season camp (in my professional opinion) and he is.

The only danger of him re-doing an ACL now is if he does the same thing he did the first time. And if it stuffed his ACL the first time, it'll stuff it the second time too. His agility/power is another issue. But I trust the Bucks rehab guys will get him pretty close to where he would have been if he'd had no ACL issue.

:onfire:
EastSideBucksFan
RealGM
And1: 4,490

Post#59 » by EastSideBucksFan » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:55 pm

Jez2983 wrote:I'm going to toot my own horn loudly. I said around the time of Redd's injury that he should be right for pre-season camp (in my professional opinion) and he is.

Really?

You are going to "toot your own horn" for regurgitating what Hammond has been saying all summer long?

Really?
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,338

Post#60 » by crkone » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:59 pm

EastSideBucksFan wrote:

Really?

You are going to "toot your own horn" for regurgitating what Hammond has been saying all summer long?

Really?

I give him props. He said right when he heard about the injury that he would be back for camp. Even before any Bucks' official said what his time table would be.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |

Return to Milwaukee Bucks