ImageImage

Squad 6 Thread

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis

GrandAdmiralDan
RealGM
And1: 1,293

Re: Squad 6 Thread 

Post#61 » by GrandAdmiralDan » Mon Nov 2, 2009 5:26 am

jerrod wrote:what about doing something until the bucks score for the first time. the okc fans just stand i think, but you could do something

We actually did that. It was kind of last minute, but we were all still standing for after the tipoff, and I started passing the word that we should remain standing until the Bucks score, like the whole crowd does for the Hornets, and other places do as well.

But the Bucks took a little while to score, and a strange thing happened... after the Bucks did finally score, none of us sat down. Not one of us. Somehow we all just ended up deciding as kind of a collective consciousness that we were going to stand for the entire game. And we did.

So I would intend for us to stand for the whole game from now on, unless Zak decides we shouldn't, or if the Squad decides we shouldn't (for some reason I'm not thinking of). We can sit during timeouts, quarter breaks, and half time. That's when I got all of my sitting in.
97-98
Nick Van Exel (LAL) on defending the Stockton-Malone pick-and-roll: "Yeah,
I got a way to defend it. Bring a bat to the game and kill one of them."
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 11,146

Post#62 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Mon Nov 2, 2009 5:31 am

Unless we are getting blown out, I plan on standing the whole game.
WEFFPIM
RealGM
And1: 473

Post#63 » by WEFFPIM » Mon Nov 2, 2009 5:45 am

Hey GAD, is there any word on making any single game tickets available for this section? I am in no position, condition, or location to do a season ticket, but if they make single game tickets available for it I'd probably see if I could get some.
ReddWing wrote:Being a fan of this team is tantamount to being in hell...There is no Christ that is coming to save us. Even if there was, we'd trade him for a 28 year old wing.
JustinCredible
Head Coach
And1: 2,965

Post#64 » by JustinCredible » Mon Nov 2, 2009 5:48 am

Man I really want to be a part of Squad 6. I was at the game and you guys were great. I was going crazy in the 3rd quarter when Jennings took over, but I was the only one going nuts in my section. My fiance likes to go to the games with me and she does a good job cheering, but we have a 10 month old baby. We brought her to the game and it worked out fine because she was sleeping by halftime. However, there is no way she would sleep in the Squad 6 section and having a baby would only allow one of us to be crazy while the other holds the little one.

The only other option is to get a babysitter for each game but sitters are not cheap. If only the Bucks had a place for our baby to sleep during the games. haha
All posts are my own opinion.
Twitter: @itsjwills
WEFFPIM
RealGM

Post#65 » by WEFFPIM » Mon Nov 2, 2009 5:50 am

What I've noticed with a few of these fan sections around the NBA (there's a few, Portland has one I think) is that they're all matching. So somehow, Squad 6 needs shirts, either team provided or member made.
ReddWing wrote:Being a fan of this team is tantamount to being in hell...There is no Christ that is coming to save us. Even if there was, we'd trade him for a 28 year old wing.
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM

Post#66 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Mon Nov 2, 2009 5:50 am

MouteKicksBoute wrote:1. We all bring a sign with one letter. For example, "JENNINGS", and and we put that up when he scores. I'll make the signs, and ill hand them out to everyone in my row. I might do this for the Knicks game.

2. A fight song. This is crucial. An Official fight song that we can chant during the game.

Really like both of them.

Also, we need some hand signals and player recognition after baskets. Like when PJ Hill would run at Wisconsin, all the students would make a hill and shout HIIIIILLLLLLLLLL
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM

Post#67 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Mon Nov 2, 2009 5:52 am

WEFFPIM wrote:What I've noticed with a few of these fan sections around the NBA (there's a few, Portland has one I think) is that they're all matching. So somehow, Squad 6 needs shirts, either team provided or member made.

Did anyone order the Prince shirts last year/can we get another order?
WEFFPIM
RealGM

Post#68 » by WEFFPIM » Mon Nov 2, 2009 5:53 am

MouteKicksBoute wrote:
WEFFPIM wrote:Hey GAD, is there any word on making any single game tickets available for this section? I am in no position, condition, or location to do a season ticket, but if they make single game tickets available for it I'd probably see if I could get some.

This isn't about "single game" Tickets. Squad 6 emphasizes the fans that are willing to dedicate their time every single game to the cause. Bucks.com has some great deals for single game tickets, have you checked it out yet?

My apologies for not being able to commit to 41 games a season when I'm a full-time student 100 miles from Milwaukee and balance two jobs, one at school, the other in Janesville.

I try to go to 2-4 games a year. Something like this would be cool to bring a few friends to who would otherwise be completely uninterested in going.
GrandAdmiralDan
RealGM
And1: 1,293

Post#69 » by GrandAdmiralDan » Mon Nov 2, 2009 5:53 am

MartyConlonOnTheRun wrote:Unless we are getting blown out, I plan on standing the whole game.

This brings up an important point that Zak made to me that I should pass on here.
Obviously we are going to be feeding off the energy on the court. It's only natural.

But the team is going to be feeding off the energy from the crowd, which is what our major purpose is.
So we need to be up and into it for the whole game no matter what. We need to try and help the team get back into it. Even if chances of a victory seem remote or even hopeless. At the very least we can try and help along some kind of stronger finish and better play to end the game, even in a loss, so that the Bucks walk away from that game without such a bitter taste in their mouth and perhaps have something to build on that they can take into next game.

If we're getting blown out, maybe players who wouldn't otherwise be getting as much PT will be in the game, and perhaps we can help those players get into a good groove so that they'll be able to better contribute the next time they have to.
97-98

Nick Van Exel (LAL) on defending the Stockton-Malone pick-and-roll: "Yeah,

I got a way to defend it. Bring a bat to the game and kill one of them."
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM

Post#70 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Mon Nov 2, 2009 5:54 am

Sorry, triple post but I would like to use this thread as a brainstorming tool before each game. Like coming up with chants for the Knicks game on Saturday.
JustinCredible
Head Coach

Post#71 » by JustinCredible » Mon Nov 2, 2009 6:00 am

How about some cowbell action every time Charlie Bell scores?
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM

Post#72 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Mon Nov 2, 2009 6:03 am

GrandAdmiralDan wrote:
MartyConlonOnTheRun wrote:Unless we are getting blown out, I plan on standing the whole game.

So we need to be up and into it for the whole game no matter what. We need to try and help the team get back into it. Even if chances of a victory seem remote or even hopeless. At the very least we can try and help along some kind of stronger finish and better play to end the game, even in a loss, so that the Bucks walk away from that game without such a bitter taste in their mouth and perhaps have something to build on that they can take into next game.

I will reluctantly join you in cheering. I personally don't think we should be going nuts when the team has 5 straight TOs, Max Redd not passing or rebounding, Gadz taking fading aways, Joe Alexander being on the floor..... But alas, I am a conformist so I will pretty much do what you tell me to do. :D
JustinCredible
Head Coach

Post#73 » by JustinCredible » Mon Nov 2, 2009 6:05 am

I also think it would be great to hold up newspapers and pretend to be reading during the visiting teams introductions. Either that or turn your backs to the floor.
diener34
Junior
And1: 66

Post#74 » by diener34 » Mon Nov 2, 2009 6:07 am

"Vamos Vamos Argentina" is a famous Argentina chant for sporting events. Could be a good one if Delfino hits a 3.

Luuuuuuke for Ridnour

I'll keep thinking for other not so obvious ones.
JustinCredible
Head Coach

Post#75 » by JustinCredible » Mon Nov 2, 2009 6:08 am

What would be AWESOME is if we could get the whole crowd involved. Maybe hand out a cheat sheet for cheering as fans walk into the stadium.

For example, how sweet would it be if Squad 6 yelled "Aussie Aussie Aussie!" And then the WHOLE crowd responds "Oye Oye Oye!!!"
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,431

Post#76 » by trwi7 » Mon Nov 2, 2009 6:09 am

MouteKicksBoute wrote:There you go. If anyone has a cowbell, this is a great idea.

I know a place where all Squad 6 members could get a cowbell. The catch is you guys would have to wait almost two months and you would hate the event.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
blkout
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,914

Post#77 » by blkout » Mon Nov 2, 2009 6:11 am

You guys should do this to the opposing teams fans before every game http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8D3gzlOZdeI
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM

Post#78 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Mon Nov 2, 2009 6:11 am

This could be one of the most constructive threads we had on this board.
Lots of positive atmosphere in here.
ACGB
RealGM
And1: 2,709

Post#79 » by ACGB » Mon Nov 2, 2009 6:11 am

WEFFPIM wrote:
crkone wrote:On FTs, everyone needs to be silent until the last moment to scare the **** out of the shooter. Have someone in the lower seats direct when everyone starts screaming. The goal of squad 6 should be the lowest opp FT % in the league at home for the bucks.

Yep. You don't just start yelling, you remain extremely quiet until just before he releases then you scream.

This is why just waving things behind the basket during a free throw doesn't really have an effect. It has to be a drastic shift in motion, like everyone put there hands to one side and them quickly move them to the other as he releases.

I think it's been proven that shooting FT's is pretty much just muscle memory and that distractions don't make too much of a difference.
drew881
RealGM
And1: 5,005

Post#80 » by drew881 » Mon Nov 2, 2009 6:16 am

GrandAdmiralDan wrote:

This brings up an important point that Zak made to me that I should pass on here.
Obviously we are going to be feeding off the energy on the court. It's only natural.

But the team is going to be feeding off the energy from the crowd, which is what our major purpose is.

If we're getting blown out, maybe players who wouldn't otherwise be getting as much PT will be in the game, and perhaps we can help those players get into a good groove so that they'll be able to better contribute the next time they have to.

I might be wrong, as I don't have the whole list of people involved in this, but isn't there some overlap from the "bag incident" people who are now basically bought out "Squad 6" people? It sounds ok now at 1-1, but when this team is 20-50 in a couple of months, will those same people be as enthusiastic, not only in terms of willingness to attend, but willingness to not display negative emotions (booing a particular player, bad performance)?

Moreover, if you guys are willing to curb your discontent, props to the Bucks for buying out what could possibly have been a decent size and vocal, visible group of malcontents. The purpose of this post is not to call people out, as 1) I think the idea is somewhat interesting, and 2) I don't blame anyone for accepting free tickets to sporting events, 3) having a good, rowdy fan base can't hurt, but I'm just pointing out a couple drawbacks or inconsistencies that are both amusing and interesting with how it will play out over time.

Another option I would think of would be a student rush ticket giveaway. We have this in Pittsburgh for the Penguins. You show up for announced games (usually 200 seats a game) a few hours early and wait in line for 20 dollar tickets (any random leftover seats in the arena, you could get a 150 dollar seat on the glass). Not only is it a good environment outside the arena in the line, even when it is cold, but it encourages a younger student fan base. Obviously the Bucks aren't popular enough to have a line, especially when there are tickets available, but this is just one of other types of deals and giveaways that attract younger audiences, building future fans.

Return to Milwaukee Bucks