Image Image Image Image

Blackhawks offseason plan discussion

Moderator: TNBT

ADDinChicago
Analyst
And1: 757

Re: Blackhawks offseason plan discussion 

Post#21 » by ADDinChicago » Thu Jul 2, 2015 9:42 pm

TNBT wrote:I understand completely that we were stuck in a tough place with our proximity to the cap and Saad's value. However, you asked me how the Hawks had already screwed up? Well I'd stated that my number one priority was getting rid of Bickell and/or Sharp to create enough room to keep Saad, and seeing as how none of those things happened, that's how I say they'd screwed up. They may very well have had a different plan in mind which they have executed perfectly, but in relation to what I was hoping for, that's all screwed now.

As for Saad's salary, everyone knew he was going to get offers. I think the reason for feeling like we had to move him though was because we were so far apart on a potential deal. In the position we were in, we couldn't offer Saad anything near what he was worth, so I'm doubting that Saad's camp ever even considered backing down from their position, as no compromise could be reached. If we'd managed to dump those guys for cap space, then MAYBE it shows his camp that we're really serious, and MAYBE that is enough to bring them to the table and take a compromise deal somewhere between what we were originally offering and what they were originally asking for.

Obviously whether that would have happened that way or not, we will never know. I just would have liked us to have gotten rid of at least one of Bickell and Sharp to open up space, as MAYBE that's enough of a sign of good faith that we're willing to bargain with them.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

Again, if the trade market is not there for Sharp & Bickell, how is that on the Blackhawks? If anything, it's on Sharp and Bickell for basically sucking this season and especially the post season on Bickell's part.

The Hawks were never going to give Saad $40 mil. I don't care if they traded Sharp, Bickell, Crawford and half the minor league. It was never going to happen for a guy like him here. A bridge deal was what the Hawks were looking to do and then readdress things in 2-3 seasons when the cap hopefully increased and other guys' deals had ended. But he's not a $40 million player on an elite team. He'll see why good players who get a ton of money on bad teams don't win. Every night now he's drawing the top player from the other team, getting hit, etc. They made their bed. And that's not on Stan Bowman. He was never going to give Saad such an absurd deal.
GRADEN
Head Coach
And1: 148

Post#22 » by GRADEN » Fri Jul 3, 2015 4:34 am

Wow oshie to the caps

Pens got kessel
Caps got oshie

No wonder they didn't want sharphefner

Sent from my iPad using RealGM Forums
TNBT
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 208

Post#23 » by TNBT » Fri Jul 3, 2015 12:16 pm

You could very well be right, that a lot of his success was due to having such talented line-mates and that he will struggle as the main option. As for the Sharp/Bickell thing, yes it's their faults for sucking, but I think part of the reason we couldn't trade them was because we were asking for more than they're worth, and that is where I fault the Blackhawks.
molepharmer
Head Coach
And1: 1,148

Post#24 » by molepharmer » Fri Jul 3, 2015 1:38 pm

TNBT wrote:You could very well be right, that a lot of his success was due to having such talented line-mates and that he will struggle as the main option. As for the Sharp/Bickell thing, yes it's their faults for sucking, but I think part of the reason we couldn't trade them was because we were asking for more than they're worth, and that is where I fault the Blackhawks.

I don't know whether you can fault the Blackhawks for asking too much, at least initially. I mean I have no idea what they were asking for. So maybe you can. But most fans I've read were thinking a 2nd round pick, maybe a late first, possibly a good prospect. It does seem clear now that Sharp may only bring back a 4th round pick, at best, with no prospects. Disappointing if that's the way it goes but how would you have felt if during the 2015 draft you learned Sharp only garnered a 4th round pick. Based on the fans I've read, they'd been livid.

Bickell's another story. I was a bit surprised he didn't simply get bought out so his cap hit would only be ~$1 mil. Maybe Stan has some other team interested in Bicks and he'll end up dumping him for a low level prospect or 7th rounder. I have no idea. Stan was able to get a couple decent prospects for Leddy (Nilsson and Pokka) even though he waited until the last minute to deal him. "Course Bicks is/was no Leddy who are on two different career paths.
TGibson (1/28/17); "..."a 4 or 5 on a scale of 1 to 10 for drama"...What's the worst? "...yelling matches with Thibs, everybody is just going crazy and I'm just sitting there...like, 'Don't call my name please..."
TNBT
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#25 » by TNBT » Fri Jul 3, 2015 1:50 pm

I get what you're saying as far as how fans would feel if we only got a 4th round pick or whatever for Sharp or Bickell. However, if that had also opened up the room to keep Saad, then I think people would realize what was happening. It would be like trading Sharp for a 4th round pick plus Saad, in a way, which would be a pretty good deal.
TNBT
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#26 » by TNBT » Fri Jul 3, 2015 3:45 pm

Just heard that we've re-signed Desjardins for two more years. He's no superstar, but I'm pretty happy to have him back. I like the way he plays and what he brings to the team.

GRADEN
Head Coach

Post#27 » by GRADEN » Fri Jul 3, 2015 4:35 pm

Love the move.... As I've said numerous times I thought it was the only trade we clearly won

He has a very nicely lit fire and I respect his game very much.... Good 3/4 line guy and he is a great effort guy

GRADEN
Head Coach

Post#28 » by GRADEN » Fri Jul 3, 2015 4:37 pm

After seeing what blues got for oshie.... Got to feel a lot better about what we got

ADDinChicago
Analyst

Post#29 » by ADDinChicago » Fri Jul 3, 2015 8:56 pm

TNBT wrote:I get what you're saying as far as how fans would feel if we only got a 4th round pick or whatever for Sharp or Bickell. However, if that had also opened up the room to keep Saad, then I think people would realize what was happening. It would be like trading Sharp for a 4th round pick plus Saad, in a way, which would be a pretty good deal.

But they weren't paying Saad's asking price. Even if the cap was $10 mil more than it is now. He wanted to get paid. Today he got 6 years and $36 mil. The "sub-core" here is not breaking the bank.
ADDinChicago
Analyst

Post#30 » by ADDinChicago » Fri Jul 3, 2015 8:58 pm

TNBT wrote:Just heard that we've re-signed Desjardins for two more years. He's no superstar, but I'm pretty happy to have him back. I like the way he plays and what he brings to the team.

He's very solid as a 4th liner. And at his point in his career, that's when players take discounts. I'm still a bit surprised Richards didn't want to and that Detroit gave him as much as they did.
GRADEN
Head Coach

Post#31 » by GRADEN » Fri Jul 3, 2015 9:10 pm

Saad 6/36 6per
Anisimov 5/22 4.25

Fantastic on ADJ 2/1.6 wow amazing deal... Guy must love the city

GRADEN
Head Coach

Post#32 » by GRADEN » Fri Jul 3, 2015 9:12 pm

Yea 3 for BR and on a contending team IMO.... They had a tremendous last few weeks from my view... Also their pick in Svechi as I've said too many times was a crazy steal and he is ready to be a 3rd line guy almost immediately which is rare past pick 5-6 or so

GRADEN
Head Coach

Post#33 » by GRADEN » Fri Jul 3, 2015 9:17 pm

If u take ADJ, Anisimov, and Tikhonov they equal 6mil...... Saad equal 6 million so there it is right there

GRADEN
Head Coach

Post#34 » by GRADEN » Fri Jul 3, 2015 9:18 pm

We just signed 2 veteran dmen whom have been in the minors for a long time and provide us a little more veteran insurance depth in our system....

GRADEN
Head Coach

Post#35 » by GRADEN » Fri Jul 3, 2015 9:21 pm

Holy crap ROR got 7/52.5 and 7.5!!!!!!! That's crazy, pure crazy

GRADEN
Head Coach

Post#36 » by GRADEN » Fri Jul 3, 2015 9:22 pm

At the same time u have locked up an Eichel - OReily top 6 for basically the foreseeable future which is pretty legit

GRADEN
Head Coach

Post#37 » by GRADEN » Fri Jul 3, 2015 10:22 pm

Kruger being dealt today or soon.... Got that feeling

Maybe Shaw too

TNBT
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#38 » by TNBT » Sat Jul 4, 2015 2:11 am

I'm still wondering why you feel so confident that one or both of Shaw/Kruger will be moved on?
GRADEN
Head Coach

Post#39 » by GRADEN » Sat Jul 4, 2015 7:06 am

Anisimov has been called by our guys a two way center whom is good on the PK right? Or did I make that up... Who knows I got kids lol. Toews AA Tuevo, is Kruger gonna play 4th? Nah he is way too good and his value is super high right now... If I were a team I'd definitely give up a decent prospect and a 3/4 for him and sign him to say a 2/5.5

ADDinChicago
Analyst

Post#40 » by ADDinChicago » Sat Jul 4, 2015 9:43 am

GRADEN wrote:Kruger being dealt today or soon.... Got that feeling

Maybe Shaw too

Why?

Kruger's a RFA and they're just waiting to see what the offer sheet will be (if he signs one). He's not going to break the bank like Saad.

As for Shaw, he's valuable and has a cushy deal right now for them.

The plan is still to try and trade Sharp, Bickell & Versteeg once teams keep missing out on FAs and need players. Basically, when the smoke clears. Bowman has until camp starts to basically get deals done (both trades and re-signing Kruger barring an offer sheet). Let it breathe.

Return to Chicago Blackhawks