Hasek retirement 

Post#1 » by ajaX82 » Mon Jun 9, 2008 3:40 am

DETROIT (AP)
Danny Darko
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 5,420

Post#2 » by Danny Darko » Mon Jun 9, 2008 11:42 pm

No more comparing lyle lovett to Hasek I guess.
m23uza1hem36
Starter
And1: 1

Post#3 » by m23uza1hem36 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:35 am

I don't know, is there anyone that we can go after? That''s better to get in here right away? I'm not to good with NHL so if I'm wrong please correct me.
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 85

Post#4 » by ajaX82 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:47 am

m23uza1hem36 wrote:I don't know, is there anyone that we can go after? That''s better to get in here right away? I'm not to good with NHL so if I'm wrong please correct me.

I prefer the Ozzie/Howard tandem for next year. We dont need a FA
TNBT
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 208

Re: 

Post#5 » by TNBT » Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:19 pm

ajaX82 wrote:
m23uza1hem36 wrote:I don't know, is there anyone that we can go after? That''s better to get in here right away? I'm not to good with NHL so if I'm wrong please correct me.

I prefer the Ozzie/Howard tandem for next year. We dont need a FA

I see the point you're making, but I'm not sure that I agree fully. I loved Hasek, he was one of my favorite all-time goalies. However, it became obvious this year that Ozzie is, at this point in their careers, the better of the two. I've been on record before in saying that I don't want to see Howard "wasted" by sitting on the bench. He is clearly the next starter for us, but I think it would be more beneficial to keep him in Grand Rapids where he can play starters minutes until we need to him to come in and start in Detroit. If you want to start Howard and have Ozzie back him up then that's something I could understand.

Anyway, I should probably take this opportunity here to say thank you to Hasek for everything he has done. He and Terry Sawchuk are my two favorite goalies of all-time, and I'm glad to say that both of them wore the Wings red and white in their careers.
Mr Swagtastic
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,208

Re: Hasek retirement 

Post#6 » by Mr Swagtastic » Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:17 pm

I would love to see Jimmy Howard get some more mins with the big club. He's a guy who we need to develop into what we want him to be. I know our system is really slow and takes a lot of time to get our guys up to the big club but it's worth it in a way.

Great job Hasek on a great career you will be missed thanks for helping us win 2 cups
Lord Leoshes wrote:i personally would rather keep Chalmers over Lowry
Rodya
Starter
And1: 16

Post#7 » by Rodya » Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:18 am

The Ty Conklin signing caught me a bit by surprise. Howard was a great prospect out of Maine and thought the kid reminded me a lot of Nabokov.

Yet at the same time I can see Holland's logic in signing him. Holland knows well that over Ozzie has proved over his entire career that he is wildly inconsistent. Ty is simply an insurance policy in case Ozzie's performance last year was an aberration.

Hopefully Howard can see 6-10 games this year, preferably a few in a row in order to better gauge his progress.
Mr Swagtastic
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,208

Post#8 » by Mr Swagtastic » Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:03 am

RUSSIAN LIGHTNING wrote:The Ty Conklin signing caught me a bit by surprise. Howard was a great prospect out of Maine and thought the kid reminded me a lot of Nabokov.

Yet at the same time I can see Holland's logic in signing him. Holland knows well that over Ozzie has proved over his entire career that he is wildly inconsistent. Ty is simply an insurance policy in case Ozzie's performance last year was an aberration.

Hopefully Howard can see 6-10 games this year, preferably a few in a row in order to better gauge his progress.

Great insight, thats what I am thinking. I mean Ty is what a 800,000 per year signing? If anything he's salary off the books. No harm no real foul. We can put anybody in net and they have a shot at winning game in and game out. Osgood and Conklin will be quite good next year
Lord Leoshes wrote:i personally would rather keep Chalmers over Lowry
TNBT
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 208

Post#9 » by TNBT » Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:59 pm

I agree. I like the Conklin signing, because it means that Howard doesn't spend the season sitting on the bench in the NHL. I know that the NHL is a higher level and he has to play there some day, but I think his development would be better if he played a lot of minutes. That's not going to happen in Detroit with Osgood playing ahead of him, so lets see Jimmy get his starts and minutes in the AHL. Conklin is a fine backup for Osgood this season, and then maybe next season Howard will be ready to come in and start for the Wings, and Osgood or Conklin can back him up.

Return to Detroit Red Wings