Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 208

Big Bert is Back?! 

Post#1 » by TNBT » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:16 am

From Wiretap:

Sources: Red Wings, Bertuzzi Agree To Deal
18th August, 2009 - 2:04 pm
ESPN - The Red Wings have agreed to terms on a deal with Todd Bertuzzi pending the free-agent forward passing a physical, sources told ESPN.com's Pierre LeBrun on Tuesday.

The one-year deal is "worth around $1.5 million," a source said.

Not sure how I feel about this just yet. I'll have to think on it and post my wisdom later.
Rodya
Starter
And1: 16

Re: Big Bert is Back?! 

Post#2 » by Rodya » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:48 pm

I thought Abdelkader deserved a shot at being in the rotation, guess management thought he wasn't ready yet.
TNBT
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#3 » by TNBT » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:23 pm

Now that I think about this a little more, I'm starting to open up to the idea. We lost a lot of scoring power over the off-season, and while he's not what he used to be, Bert knows what to do in the offensive zone. He will also add a sense of toughness to the team. It's interesting, because this is the EXACT sort of tough guy that I was talking about with ajax - a guy who can fight and enforce, but is still able to play and isn't taking a roster spot from someone with talent.
TNBT
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#4 » by TNBT » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:25 pm

RUSSIAN LIGHTNING wrote:I thought Abdelkader deserved a shot at being in the rotation, guess management thought he wasn't ready yet.

On any other team, he would probably be a lock to make the roster. However, this is Detroit. I love the situation we have here. Even in something of a rebuilding year, we're still so deep and talented that we can afford to let top young prospects mature in the AHL so that when they do break the Wings rotation, they're ready both mentally and physically to play straight away. As for Abdelkader himself, I have been high on this kid ever since we drafted him. I think he''s going to be a really good player on both ends.
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 85

Post#5 » by ajaX82 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:00 am

He is tough and wont take crap and will score some goals. I like that.

But we had our roster filled (imo). Dont sign Williams if you are gunna get Bertuzzi. We now have too few spots to go around, and a young guy is gunna get screwed on time
Rodya
Starter
And1: 16

Post#6 » by Rodya » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:12 pm

^ I mean, considering we have quite a few guys in the regular rotation who are developing a history of injuries as of late, it may not be that bad to have legit reserves. Too much talent and not enough spots is a problem every GM hopes for.

Edit: Maybe this log jam at the wing spots are a precursor to a Heatley trade? I want Heatley, I don't care if it isn't plausible.

Return to Detroit Red Wings