Oilers Offseason Moves Thread

Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,611

Oilers Offseason Moves Thread 

Post#1 » by Nolan » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:44 pm

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/story/?id=234039&hubname=nhl-oilers&lid=sublink01&lpos=headlines_nhl-oilers

The Edmonton Oilers have locked-up defenceman Tom Gilbert to a multi-year deal, TSN has learned.

It is a 6-year deal at approximately $4-million per season.

He had a great year but i'm little nervous about signing a somewhat unproven player to that big of a deal. Although it could turn into an amazign signing.

Edit: I changed the title.
@bruce_arthur "And finally, as a whore." RT @docfunk "Here is what LeBron looks like as a Knick, a Fireman, an Astronaut..."
UTMCretin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1

Post#2 » by UTMCretin » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:00 pm

:o

:o

My first and second reactions, respectively. Is Lowe going to overpay every RFA we have, or is he eventually going to venture out into free agency and overpay some unrestricted free agents too? Could he have not got Gilbert for cheaper, or is Gilbert's agent really that good? I suppose this also provides the kiss off for Pitkanen as well, unless we want to spend $14 million on three defenseman, none of whom is overly strong on the defensive end of the ice. As it looks now, a big overpayment.

*But of course, if Gilbert continues upon his current pattern of development, this could very well be a steal over the next few years, a la Hemsky.
UTMCretin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#3 » by UTMCretin » Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:25 pm

May as well throw this in here: Nilsson signed for $5.5 million over three years.
http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=234039&lid=sublink010&lpos=headlines_main

Looks like my first question's been answered with a resounding "no". This is a steal in every sense of the word. Good to see that Lowe's locking up the important pieces as soon as possible, even if he might be a bit overenthusiastic in doing so.[/quote]
UTMCretin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by UTMCretin » Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:03 am

Official Signing Thread!

Grebeshkov now locked up to a one-year deal. Looks like the Oilers want to further evaluate him before giving him a longer deal. Details to follow.
UTMCretin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Re: Oilers Offseason Signings Thread 

Post#5 » by UTMCretin » Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:25 am

Stoll and Matt Greene have just been traded to the Kings for Lubomir Visnovsky, a player who currently epitomizes much of the potential of what Pitkanen could be offensively, while remaining questionable defensively with a similarly questionable contract (7 mil now, but goes down over time).

Of course, this means Pitkanen's as good as gone if you want to read between the lines. And it's pretty hard not to.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=242046&lid=headline&lpos=topStory_main
Danny Darko
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 5,420

Oilers trade Greene & Stoll for Lubomir Visnovskey 

Post#6 » by Danny Darko » Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:36 pm

The Edmonton Oilers shored up their blue line Sunday by trading forward Jarret Stoll and defenseman Matt Greene to the Los Angeles Kings for puck-moving defenseman Lubomir Visnovsky.

Stoll had 14 goals and 22 assists last season. The 26-year-old assistant captain had 59 goals and 106 assists in 186 games with the Oilers.

Greene, 25, had one assist last season with Edmonton, missing 34 games with an ankle injury. He has one goal and 12 assists in 151 games since being selected by the Oilers in the second round, 44th overall in 2002.

Article

Thoughts?

I think you guys will have some firepower on the blueline with Lubo onboard. What is the deal with Stoll?
UTMCretin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Re: Oilers trade Greene & Stoll for Lubomir Visnovskey 

Post#7 » by UTMCretin » Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:13 pm

Corvus Crow wrote:
The Edmonton Oilers shored up their blue line Sunday by trading forward Jarret Stoll and defenseman Matt Greene to the Los Angeles Kings for puck-moving defenseman Lubomir Visnovsky.

Stoll had 14 goals and 22 assists last season. The 26-year-old assistant captain had 59 goals and 106 assists in 186 games with the Oilers.

Greene, 25, had one assist last season with Edmonton, missing 34 games with an ankle injury. He has one goal and 12 assists in 151 games since being selected by the Oilers in the second round, 44th overall in 2002.

Article

Thoughts?

I think you guys will have some firepower on the blueline with Lubo onboard. What is the deal with Stoll?

The deal with Stoll was... he was just bad last year. I'm not sure if there's any better way to put it. His offense was somewhere between inconsistent and non-existant, and he had a hard time effectively producing in any manner all year long. As far as I know, the exact reasons for this decline in productivity are unknown, and most theories are based on speculation and hearsay. Regardless, he should bounce back to some capacity, and provide a role as a good special teams/PK player who can play the two-way game. But take that with a grain of salt as I've long since stopped trying to figure him out.
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by Nolan » Wed Jul 2, 2008 9:23 pm

Pitkanen to the Canes for Erik Cole and Torres to the Jackets for Brule. Not sure how I feel about either one of these deals. Cole can be a good player when healthy and Brule has potential.

My only question is what is Lowe doing? These two deals are very contradicting; he trades a young D-man with lots of upside in Pitkanen for a vet then he trades a proven player for a project in Brule, I don't get it.
@bruce_arthur "And finally, as a whore." RT @docfunk "Here is what LeBron looks like as a Knick, a Fireman, an Astronaut..."
UTMCretin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by UTMCretin » Thu Jul 3, 2008 7:30 am

Nolan wrote:Pitkanen to the Canes for Erik Cole and Torres to the Jackets for Brule. Not sure how I feel about either one of these deals. Cole can be a good player when healthy and Brule has potential.

My only question is what is Lowe doing? These two deals are very contradicting; he trades a young D-man with lots of upside in Pitkanen for a vet then he trades a proven player for a project in Brule, I don't get it.

I suppose if you're looking for an ethos, look elsewhere. But there is a common factor in both deals. The main reasons these trades were executed were not because of the players coming back to the Oilers, or an abject desire for any particular quality (youth, experience, speed), but rather, the players leaving and how management views them (and their salaries).

Pitkanen was the result of a contract dispute, one in which management felt no compromise could be reached while still benefitting the Oilers organization. The deal has less to do with Cole than it does with the expendability of a player who management felt was no longer a necessity for moving forwards, and therefore, would likely be more valuable to another organization than their own. With the Visnovsky trade, this expendability became even more apparent, to the point to which Pitkanen was no longer just expendable, but redundant. Essentially, they traded from a position of relative strength to gain scoring and depth at the forward position. Whether or not the talent exchange was equal, or beneficial to the Oilers is certainly debatable, but the reasoning comes mostly from a desire to get rid of Pitkanen, a move that was likely at least in part championed as a cost-cutting measure (Cole will make $4 million next year, Pitkanen will likely receive a multi-year deal for well over $5 million, assuming he avoids arbitration).

The Torres deal revolves even more so around the idea of making a trade just to get rid of a player. Torres has an inflated contract, and provided little in the way of offensive production, to the point where management clearly feels the team might just be better off giving his roster spot to someone else. Whether or not Brule pans out is secondary; the fact that he still has potential is nice, but the reason for this trade is to get rid of Torres and to save money (which can also be considered the two main reasons for the Pitkanen deal as well).

Possibly the best reasoning that can be given for these two trades is also the simplest: the players involved were both exceedingly expendable, and in Torres' case, practically liable. It is then only a contradiction if you view the trades in terms of the potential of the players involved, rather than by what the Oilers organization is looking to gain from them.
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Re: Oilers Offseason Moves Thread 

Post#10 » by Nolan » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:13 pm

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=243054& ... dlines_nhl

Edmonton, AB (Sports Network) - The Edmonton Oilers signed unrestricted free agent defenseman Jason Strudwick to a one-year, $650,000 contract on Thursday.

Not a bad signing he'll add some gritt and leadership to our team, he's also from edmonton so that can't hurt.
UTMCretin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by UTMCretin » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:28 pm

This is both a way of playing hardball with Zack Stortini's agent and adding grit to the blueline/4th line (wherever he ends up playing).

Take that, Stortini's sense of self-worth. You've been replaced by someone with 11 career goals.
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by Nolan » Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:35 pm

^
Agreed I think this is Lowe showing Zach/his agent just how expendable he is. By the way do you know if Strudwicks contract is guarnteed?
UTMCretin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by UTMCretin » Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:14 pm

I imagine so. It's only $650k and they expect him to make the team, so there's not much at risk either way. Plus, I'm not sure if the current CBA allows for non-guaranteed contracts (although my knowledge of the CBA is admittedly limited).

Return to Edmonton Oilers