Oiler's Very Interested in Heatley

Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,611

Oiler's Very Interested in Heatley 

Post#1 » by Nolan » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:16 am

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/ott090610.html

When word of Dany Heatley's trade request broke this week, speculation has run wild over possible destinations the Senators might ship the star sniper.

According to several reports, the Calgary Flames, Edmonton Oilers, Los Angeles Kings, Vancouver Canucks, St. Louis Blues, Minnesota Wild and New York Rangers could all be in the mix.

Two teams believed to be very interested in Heatley are the Oilers and Kings. Both clubs have a pool of young tradable talent.

I'd love to aquire this guy. Not only is he one of my favorite players but I think he'd be the perfect guy to play along side Hemsky.

What would we have to give up to get him?
@bruce_arthur "And finally, as a whore." RT @docfunk "Here is what LeBron looks like as a Knick, a Fireman, an Astronaut..."
UTMCretin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1

Re: Oiler's Very Interested in Heatley 

Post#2 » by UTMCretin » Wed Jul 1, 2009 3:09 am

Penner, Smid and Cogliano. Assuming Heatley waives the NTC, this is done.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=283356

Sources say Dany Heatley has been asked to waive his no-trade clause to go to Edmonton in exchange for Andrew Cogliano, Dustin Penner and Ladislav Smid.

If Heatley agrees to waive, it would appear the Sens and Oilers will have a deal, pending the official trade call with NHL central registry, but that is generally a formality.
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#3 » by Nolan » Wed Jul 1, 2009 5:54 am

Looks like the deals on hold for now. Looks like his signing bonus is the issue right now and i've heard rumblings that he's waiting for the Rangers to make an offer because he'd prefer to go to New York.
@bruce_arthur "And finally, as a whore." RT @docfunk "Here is what LeBron looks like as a Knick, a Fireman, an Astronaut..."
UTMCretin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1

Post#4 » by UTMCretin » Fri Jul 3, 2009 9:33 pm

Murray completed a deal with Oilers GM Steve Tambellini on Tuesday night that would have seen forwards Dustin Penner and Andrew Cogliano and defenseman Ladislav Smid go to Ottawa. All the deal needed was Heatley's waiving of his no-movement clause. It didn't happen Tuesday night, and it didn't happen Wednesday night. And then the bonus was paid by the Senators.

"Edmonton was the one offer that was somewhat legitimate," Murray said from Ottawa. "And they [the Heatley camp] didn't accept it, and certainly after telling me that I could talk to Edmonton. So I've said before and I'll say it again, in all likelihood, Dany will be a member of the Ottawa Senators. I don't know any other situation that may pop up. Maybe there will be, but that's my thinking today."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/columns/story?columnist=lebrun_pierre&id=4302680

I think I'm sensing a trend here.
skorff26
Analyst
And1: 17

Post#5 » by skorff26 » Sun Jul 5, 2009 4:05 pm

That's too bad and hopefully something works out since he is the type of player that we need.

If this falls through, hopefully we make a push for Kovalchuk as well since I don't think he'll resign in Atlanta; offer them the same package Smid, Cogliano, and Penner (I'd actually give them Horcoff instead of Penner, if that would help get the deal done)
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by Nolan » Mon Aug 3, 2009 9:15 pm

Looks like we're offically finished with trying to acquire Heatley.

Kovalchuk would be great, but considering he doesn't have an extension in place I wouldn't be willing to give up Horcoff.

Return to Edmonton Oilers