Our Powerplay

Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,611

Our Powerplay 

Post#1 » by Nolan » Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:59 am

With the additions of Penner, Pitkanen and Souray our powerplay is looking really good for once. Combine those three with Hemsky and either Stoll or Horcoff and we could have one of the better powerplays in the league this year. What do you guys think about our powerplay?
UTMCretin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1

Post#2 » by UTMCretin » Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:28 am

I have personal reservations about the effectiveness of the offense as a whole, but the powerplay without a doubt has improved over the offseason. Souray provides a cannon of a slapper from the blueline that we've been missing since... actually I can't remember the last time the powerplay was any good. Pitkanen is a very talented puck mover as is Hemsky, who at this point can practically quarterback the powerplay from the wings and has been proven as a very effective player there. Penner will probably take over the Ryan Smyth role and use his size in front of the net to screen the goalie and push the defense out of position. The personnel is there to potentially form a very effective unit.

All in all, I think we'll probably be in the 10-15 range, which is a major improvement from 27th place. If the new players are integrated smoothly enough, the PP unit could move into the top 10 and spark some life into the rest of the middling offense.

Return to Edmonton Oilers