MacTavish done as coach?

Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,611

MacTavish done as coach? 

Post#1 » by Nolan » Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:17 pm

http://www.edmontonsun.com/Sports/Oilers/2009/04/14/9104961-sun.html

"I'm not going to comment on what my future may or may not be," MacTavish said in opening his end-of-season photo day/packing day press conference, at which many expected him to announce his resignation.

He said he intended to talk to GM Steve Tambellini in the next few days, adding, "It won't be a long time before I have a clear picture for you all. It's not going to be something that's going to be long term or dragged out - in my mind, anyways."

To many around the team, it's seemed like MacTavish has had his mind made up for some time and is at peace with his decision to end his coaching career here after eight seasons.

There's been alot of talk since we've been eliminated from the playoffs about MacT stepping down and right now I think it would be the best thing for him to do. I think its time this team goes in a new direction we've been mediocre for too long we need some changes and I think this is a good start.
@bruce_arthur "And finally, as a whore." RT @docfunk "Here is what LeBron looks like as a Knick, a Fireman, an Astronaut..."
Nolan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,611

Re: MacTavish done as coach? 

Post#2 » by Nolan » Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:26 pm

Well its official MacTavish is no longer our head coach.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=275142

After eight seasons behind the Edmonton Oilers' bench and three straight seasons without a playoff berth, Craig MacTavish has been relieved of his duties as head coach.

"We both agree that it is time for a change," said Oilers' general manager Steve Tambellini at a news conference in Edmonton on Wednesday.

I wonder who's going to replace, who's available that might be interested?
@bruce_arthur "And finally, as a whore." RT @docfunk "Here is what LeBron looks like as a Knick, a Fireman, an Astronaut..."
UTMCretin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1

Re: MacTavish done as coach? 

Post#3 » by UTMCretin » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:32 am

Well, I can't say I'm too sad to see the end of the MacTavish era. I was never really a fan, and considering the lack of consistent success over his eight year reign, which lasted longer than far more successful coaches in other more successful locales, a change could be certainly argued as necessary.

As for who will replace him? I guess that one will be left up to the rumour mill for now.

Return to Edmonton Oilers