2009 Off-Season Thread: Habs Edition

Moderator: Morris_Shatford

Snayr
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4

Re: 2009 Off-Season Thread: Habs Edition 

Post#101 » by Snayr » Tue Jul 7, 2009 8:38 am

The thing that is bugging me so much about all of our old UFA's signing elsewhere is the fact that we were able to get ZERO compensation for ANY of them. I mean, come on Bob! You dont just let assets like that get away from ya for nothing! It's been like this for years now since Bob has been the GM... starting with Sheldon Souray, Mark Streit and now Koivu, Tanguay, Komi, and Kovalev...

Pathetic Management.
Montreal Canadiens Fan | Toronto Raptors Fan | Montreal Alouettes Fan - Proud to be Canadian!!
Musashi
Junior
And1: 1

Post#102 » by Musashi » Tue Jul 7, 2009 5:10 pm

Snayr wrote:The thing that is bugging me so much about all of our old UFA's signing elsewhere is the fact that we were able to get ZERO compensation for ANY of them. I mean, come on Bob! You dont just let assets like that get away from ya for nothing! It's been like this for years now since Bob has been the GM... starting with Sheldon Souray, Mark Streit and now Koivu, Tanguay, Komi, and Kovalev...

Pathetic Management.

It wouldn't be so bad if we were contenders, but we were not...

Now lets hope things get better, still a lot of time before training camp opens :clap:
Snayr
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#103 » by Snayr » Tue Jul 7, 2009 9:26 pm

Here's a great post from another Habs board that I frequent. It's long, but I found it a good read:

Bob wanted Lecavalier... A big scoring center... He could have done it all for the Habs... I think he was trying to get both Lecavalier and St-Louis (right wing)...

If Bob could have done that via trade, he would have no doubt re-signed Tanguay (left wing)... The chemistry would have been good, Tanguay a superb passer, would have gotten the puck to Lecavalier and St-Louis...

Tanguay would have also got it back from time to time from Lecavalier...

That would have been a good fit...

The domino effect from that would have meant that Kovalev too would have probably re-signed with the Habs, to play right wing on the 2nd line...

More on that later...

But that deal, try and try as Bob did, feel through... Did he not offer up enough, gambled and lost? May have been a little of both...

whatever, it feel through...

That meant that on or around July 30 he realized that he was up the creek without a paddle... He could not gamble on landing the Sedins, he must have known when Gillis flew to Sweden and with Brian Bruke waiting in the background that the chances were very low that he would get the Sedins...

So, what BIG CENTER was left ? None... So the dominos started to fall... The only available first (arguably) center available was Gomez... He said when he traded for Gomez, that he needed that piece in order for other pieces to follow... He said that on June 30.... He got Gomez, I am ok with that... Giving up Higgins, I am ok with that... Not sure about McDonaugh... But he needed to make that trade at that time and he had to give him up... Whatever... Once that trade was completed, that was the end of Koivu...

Gomez is a PASSING center... Once Gomez was in Montreal, that was the end of Tanguay... Tanguay is a passer remember... So, enter Cammalleri... The offer for Cammalleri was more money than he was offered by other teams... Montreal needs to do that, and even in the past when Montreal offered more, no one came anyways... So more money, and by Cammalleri's own admission, the chance to play with Gomez combined, made it so that we got Cammalleri on July 1.

On July 1, Bob also tendered, as planned, an offer to Kovalev... He could have fit on the 1rst or 2nd line... The offer was 9 millions for 2 years... When Kovalev didn't bit on that, a couple of hours into free agency, apparently, Bob called Kovy's agent and offered 1 million more... Still no answer...

Then, Scott Gomez's agent called Bob and said that with the additions the Habs had just made, (Gomez, Cammalleri, Spacek, Gill) that Brian Gionta was considering playing for the Habs... Bob tendered a 5 / 25mil offer which Gionta jumped on... That meant the end of Kovalev in Montreal...

So what we so criticized Koivu for not being able to do, Gomez with all his shortcomings, did indeed play a large role in attracting 2 free agents... Along with the big money we threw at them of course... But nonetheless...

On July 1, Bob also tendered an offer to Beauchemin... Which was declined... Not enough money and not enough term... The agent for Beauchemin asked Bob to counter with another offer... Bob said he would call back.. He never did...

On the same day, Bob signed Spacek for 3 years... Perfect, because we have Subban, Carle, Weber waiting in the wings... I figure they all need a good 2 - 3 years to develop...especially offensive d-men... Confidence is so key... Bob also signed Gill... Slow, but with size... We need that, I don't think I have to go into details on how much we needed a

physical presence in the back end... So essentially, it was Beauchemin

or Spacek and Gill... I know Beauchemin signed for less or approx the same as Spacek... I think Gainey's evaluation of Spacek was higher that his evaluation of Beauchemin.. That is his call to make... So in with Spacek and Gill, out with (or never in with) Beauchemin...

Komisarek, was never the same after his fight with Lucic... His 2 fights in fact.. The second one, when he should have been the first to throw punches, he knew it was coming, he got knocked down again... That guy could not have been our captain going up against Lucic for years to come... He lost his psychological edge... That was the end of Komisarek...

We were all upset last year at that team... Koivu never being able to attract anyone in Montreal... Gomez already has... Kovalev, talented, but showing up only 1 night out of 3... Gionta will show up every night... Tanguy was just a question of chemistry... Cammalleri is a better fit... Spacek and Hill over Komisarek... It's just the way the cards fell...

We got younger and were able to get some talent... Tanguay, Koivu, Kovalev may have been collectively a bit more talented than Gomez, Cammalleri and Gionta, but were older... On the flip side, Bob wanted new energy and I believe collectively, those new 3 guys will be a better example than the previous to our young guys...

This is were Bob is hoping that some of the young guns will now step in...

Akost, Latendresse, Max Pac and D'agostini are all at least 6 feet and 200lbs... It's not inconceivable that at least 2 of those kids will be playing on the top 2 lines... Jacques Martin is already talking about mixing it up on his top 2 lines so we have a bit of size in there...

Along with talent... At some point in time you have to give your top kids a legitimate shot at it...

On defense same thing... We have some kids waiting in the wings... If we add another solid (6th or 7th, versatile) d-man with NHL experience, I think we should be ok... If one of the kids impresses in camp and pre-season, they can start to ease him in slowly...that would be a bonus... Spacek can play on both the power play and pk and Gill will bring size and experience...

In goal, status quo... Bob believes in Price... Maybe a new goalie coach can bring a new element here... Perhaps more of a mental one... Let's hope so... Halak, will keep on getting better... And probably treated badly too... Undeservingly so I might add... But the thought is that Price could conceivably carry this team to the promise land one day...

That is the price (no pun intended) we have to pay now with the growing pains and all in order to try and have that happen...

So...there we have it... The 2009-2010 Habs... Not exactly has we had hoped for, but still, some things as we had hoped...

I am still a fan
Montreal Canadiens Fan | Toronto Raptors Fan | Montreal Alouettes Fan - Proud to be Canadian!!
Musashi
Junior

Post#104 » by Musashi » Wed Jul 8, 2009 2:09 am

Good post, thanks for sharing...I like the positive vibe of the post :)

And I don't believe Martin will treat Halak like Carbo/Gainey did...If he outperforms Price, he will see minutes...
Snayr
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#105 » by Snayr » Wed Jul 8, 2009 8:06 am

Here's an article about Saku wanting to be a Hab again (In french)? Looks like he had a change of heart about the team after the wholesale changes that Bob pulled off and would be willing to take a significant pay cut to stay with the team, and retire a Hab. I for one would love to see him back in a Habs jersey at a cap hit of around 2 mill/year. Like the recent contracts these days, we could give him a front loaded contract.

http://fr.canoe.ca/sports/nouvelles/hoc ... 02111.html

Thoughts?
Musashi
Junior

Post#106 » by Musashi » Wed Jul 8, 2009 12:59 pm

Snayr wrote:Here's an article about Saku wanting to be a Hab again (In french)? Looks like he had a change of heart about the team after the wholesale changes that Bob pulled off and would be willing to take a significant pay cut to stay with the team, and retire a Hab. I for one would love to see him back in a Habs jersey at a cap hit of around 2 mill/year. Like the recent contracts these days, we could give him a front loaded contract.

http://fr.canoe.ca/sports/nouvelles/hoc ... 02111.html

Thoughts?

Wow...That would be amazing! Like you said it has to be around 2 mill, not more...I wonder how will the media find ways to spit on him if he does indeed that?

Both Koivu and Gomez are solid playmakers, so you can have Koivu centering the 2nd line with AKost...Actually AKost had his best moments last season playing with Koivu. It gives us so much more flexibility on our top 6...Plekanec could be moved to the third line or another town :)
sh00n
RealGM
And1: 1,969

Post#107 » by sh00n » Wed Jul 8, 2009 5:47 pm

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/boards/thread.php?thread_id=66651&forum_id=74

If Ek is finally right on something for once in his life, I'm gonna be pissed.
Support your local artist, kids: http://www.katsenhakeron.com
@katsenhaker0n on the bird app
Snayr
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#108 » by Snayr » Wed Jul 8, 2009 6:22 pm

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=284086

1 year/3.25 mill. contract for Koivu with the Ducks.

Bob Gainey is a freakin' tool! Koivu came out and said he'd like to retire as a Hab, and would take a pay cut and yet he does NOTHING about it... Wow.
Musashi
Junior

Post#109 » by Musashi » Wed Jul 8, 2009 9:21 pm

Snayr wrote:http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=284086

1 year/3.25 mill. contract for Koivu with the Ducks.

Bob Gainey is a freakin' tool! Koivu came out and said he'd like to retire as a Hab, and would take a pay cut and yet he does NOTHING about it... Wow.

Maybe he is tired from all the work he had on july 1st? Are reports true that Koivu offered the Habs a discount? As a fan, this is tough...When he comes back I will be standing and cheering for him.

Now should we hope for Robert Lang?
Musashi
Junior

Post#110 » by Musashi » Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:59 pm

So we signed Mara to a 1 year deal...Not the worst signing ever...But was another lefty defenseman what we needed? I hope there's a trade coming...O'byrne will be the 7th D while Weber, Carle and Subban are going to have to keep learning in Hamilton.

At least the Raps are killing it!
Snayr
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#111 » by Snayr » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:14 pm

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=284314

Looks like we signed Moen to a deal too.

And you're right, the Raptors are taking the league to school :D
Musashi
Junior

Post#112 » by Musashi » Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:48 pm

Snayr wrote:http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=284314

Looks like we signed Moen to a deal too.

And you're right, the Raptors are taking the league to school :D

I like the Mara signing, if its for minimum dollars :) We needed a guy like him and he is far superior to Kostopoulos.

Colangelo is making this Hab's offseason easier to swallow...Plus I am starting to like the Hab's roster..Overpaid but still pretty good, and I know its not over!
sh00n
RealGM

Post#113 » by sh00n » Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:08 am

I just wish we could have had Kovalev & Koivu instead of Gomez & Gionta. That way we'd have Higgins still, too.
Snayr
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#114 » by Snayr » Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:45 am

Well we have to come to terms that we won't anymore sh00n :( never know, Koivu is only on a 1 year deal with the Ducks, and Selanne has said this is his last season so... maybe we get Koivu back after this season :D

Btw... Mara is around 1.75mill and Moen is 1.5mill.

Now if you excuse me, i'm headed to be! I have a wedding to attend in Montreal tomorrow and need my beauty sleep for all the annoying pictures -_- (No it's not my wedding :P)
sh00n
RealGM

Post#115 » by sh00n » Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:14 pm

Haha cool man.

I doubt Saku comes back after next season though; he's gonna end up in Minny for one season then retire. That's what I see happening, anyways.
Snayr
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#116 » by Snayr » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:10 pm

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=284619

Habs signed the 21 year old Engqvist, a camp invitee, to a 3 year deal.
Musashi
Junior

Post#117 » by Musashi » Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:49 pm

Dave Tallon was fired in Chicago????? Wow...

Dave Tallon in Montreal to replace Gainey? :pray:
Snayr
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#118 » by Snayr » Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:19 pm

Haha, well you can't say you didn't see it coming with the mess he made with QO's.

Also, sounds like the Habs have got a game in the Olympic stadium coming up in November:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/o ... le1217158/

Also, rumour about Rob Niedermeyer coming to the Habs since he will not be re-signing with the Ducks.
Musashi
Junior

Post#119 » by Musashi » Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:33 pm

Snayr wrote:Haha, well you can't say you didn't see it coming with the mess he made with QO's.

Also, sounds like the Habs have got a game in the Olympic stadium coming up in November:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/o ... le1217158/

Also, rumour about Rob Niedermeyer coming to the Habs since he will not be re-signing with the Ducks.

The front office in Chicago seemed to be a mess...Most writers don't put the blame of QO on Tallon at all...Anyways, he seems like a great hockey mind and did a terrific job in Chicago...

The O is scary, at one point its just going to crumble...Not a good place to have an outdoor hockey game...

Niedermeyer in Montreal? I don't like it...We have Lapierre who is a perfect 3rd liner...In fact we have plenty of bottom 6 material! We need top 6 talent :)
Snayr
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#120 » by Snayr » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:38 pm

Yeah I'm not on the boat for R-Niedermeyer in Mtl either. As for the Big O, I hear ya on that... place should just be torn down, it's a deathtrap.

Also TK just signed with the 'Canes... 3 years/2.75 million.

Return to Montreal Canadiens