2009 Off-Season Thread: Habs Edition

Moderator: Morris_Shatford

Musashi
Junior
And1: 1

Re: 2009 Off-Season Thread: Habs Edition 

Post#61 » by Musashi » Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:26 pm

Back on topic: you guys happy with Louis Leblanc's selection? I will admit I don't have strong opinions on NHL prospects, as I don't see the vast majority of them play (unlike the NBA). He seems like a good kid and I LOVE the fact that he will be going to Harvard...The NCAA does exploit its athletes, but its nothing compared to what we are doing to our QJMHL players...So now he gets a shot at developping physically and working on skills...

And if anyone, anywhere dares say he was picked because he is from Québec...Well so what? The fans in Minnesota are going nuts because the Wild reached for a local high school kid! Its just normal to want homgrown talent on your team :) And Leblanc was not a reach at #18 so its all good, hope to see him in Montréal soon, 20 pounds heavier!!
Musashi
Junior

Post#62 » by Musashi » Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:31 pm

So draft is over, welcome to our new recruits:

18. Louis Leblanc
65. Joonas Nattinen
79. Mac Bennett
109. Alexander Avtsyn
139. Gabriel Dumont
169. Dustin Walsh
199. Michael Cichy
211. Petteri Simila

I like the sound of this draft. Nattinen seems like a great pick (I actually remember him from WJC, he was a beast)...The Habs also took a chance on Avtsyn who might never play here but everyone says he has 1st round potential...Great gamble in my opinion. Bennet's stock went down because of a knee injury so we never know...

Seems like work well done by mr. Timmins!
Musashi
Junior

Post#63 » by Musashi » Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:07 am

Hey I just realized talking to friends that Simila is the 6'6 Finnish goalie that got serious hype during the course of last season...Why was he available with the last pick of the draft??
Snayr
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4

Post#64 » by Snayr » Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:03 am

Alright guys I got rid of the little feud that was going on while I was away for 46 hours lol, and edited sh00ns original post so it's more politically correct. Anyways, lets hold hands, have a big group hug, and tell each other "I love you". Ok... so maybe that's a bit much, but lets all get along, shall we? :P

As for the topic that you were all feuding about, there are always arrogant people in every culture that make others dislike that culture... it's a way of life unfortunately. The French separatists are very loud about a "Quebec Libre" and are quite pushy, so they're detested the most... however I am friends with tons of french Canadians and they're great people. I hate some separatists and I hate some english pricks that I know as well. What trait do they share? Arrogance.

Anyways, case closed guys. No more discussion about that.

On to the draft! Unfortunately I wasn't able to watch it as I did a 46 hour trip from Magog to Niagara Falls, Ont.(left at 11pm -_-) Got to Niagara at 8am, packed my stuff, stuffed it in a Uhaul after FINALLY finding an available trailer after looking all day, visited friends the rest of the night, slept for the first time in 36 hours... had breakfast with some family in Oakville, and drove home. Man am I tired lol... but yeah! The Draft! Here is an article about the picks:

MONTREAL -- The 2009 NHL Entry Draft is now in the books and the Canadiens have added eight fresh prospects to the Habs' family.

After picking local product Louis Leblanc in the opening round on Friday night, the Canadiens kicked off their Saturday by selecting Finnish centerman Joonas Nattinen at No. 65 overall.

The 6-foot-2, 183-pounder played in the Finnish Junior league last season where he had 38 points in 30 games, including 29 assists. The playmaking center from Jamsa, Finland is a well-rounded two-way player who suited up for his homeland at the 2009 World Junior Hockey Championships in Ottawa, where he had three points in six games and was the third best faceoff man in the tournament at 63 percent.

Nattinen becomes the fourth player to ever be selected 65th by the Canadiens and the first Finn nabbed by Montreal on Draft day since 2003, when Oskari Korpikari got the call at No. 217 overall. While it may be too soon to tell for Olivier Fortier who went 65th in 2007, no player chosen at this spot by Montreal has ever reached the NHL, with far from household names IIka Mikkola and Lee Brodeur being the other two players.

Next up for the Canadiens at No. 79 was Mac Bennett, a blue line selection from Warwick, RI. The 6-foot rearguard posted 11 points in 15 games at Hotchkiss, a prep school in Connecticut, in an injury-shortened season. Ranked 40th among North American skaters, Bennett vaulted 23 spots since the midterm rankings. He will be attending the University of Michigan in the fall of 2010.

Now fully recovered from a sprain of his right MCL, Bennett is eager to continue his development.

“This summer I’ll just be working out a lot, trying to get bigger and stronger,” said Bennett. “ I’ll probably stay of the ice for a while and work as hard as I can off the ice.

“I don’t shy away from the physical part of the game, but I wouldn’t say that I’m a checker," added Bennett. "I’m more of an offensive defenseman, quarterback on the power play type of guy. If I have to hit or I have to fight, I can do that too.”

Bennett isn’t short on NHL bloodlines. His grandfather is former Bruins goaltender Harvey Bennett (1944-45) and his uncles, Curt and Harvey Bennett Jr. both played in the NHL. Curt was drafted by the Atlanta Flames and went on to suit up for 580 NHL games. Harvey Jr. played 268 NHL games with five different teams (Pittsburgh, Washington, Philadelphia, Minnesota and St. Louis).

In the fourth round, Timmins and the Canadiens ventured back overseas, reaching out to explosive scoring Alexander Avtsyn of Moscow Dynamo at No. 109. The 6-foot-2 right winger had a dominant season in Russia, piling up 56 goals and 110 points in 76 games.

“Montreal is a very good city and a very good team; the team with the most tradition in the NHL,” said Avtsyn with some translation help from Nikolai Vakourov, the Habs’ Russian scout. “I hope to come to North America after next year.

“I play a physical style with lots of speed and a hard shot but I need to work on my game away from the puck. I will work hard to do it," added Avtsyn. "I try to play the same way that Ovechkin plays. Having the Russians around the Canadiens dressing room will definitely make it easier to be comfortable in Montreal, too.”

At No. 139, the Canadiens returned to their own backyard, selecting Gabriel Dumont of the Drummondville Voltigeurs. The speedy centerman amassed 49 points in 51 games, including 28 goals.

A native of Degelis, QC, the 5-foot-9 pivot helped lead the Voltigeurs to the President's Cup and a berth in the Memorial Cup.

“I’m a hardworking player and I try to pattern my game after guys like Maxime Talbot and Ryan Smith,” said Dumont. “I still have some work to do on my skating. I’ve been working at it for the past two years and I’ll keep at it this summer to continue improving.”

A well-rounded player, Dumont also scored a team-high four shorthanded goals to go with his three game-winners.

“I know that my ticket to the NHL might be as a defensive forward on a third or fourth line and I’m going to keep fine-tuning my defensive play,” said Dumont.

In the sixth round, with the 169th overall pick, Gainey and Co. staked their claim to Shannonville, ON native Dustin Walsh. The 6-foot-2 centerman spent the past season tearing up the OJHL, posting a team-high 63 points in 44 games for the Kingston Voyageurs, including 32 goals.

Gainey made Michael Cichy the 199th overall selection, nabbing the 5-foot-11 pivot out of the USHL. In 56 games for the Indiana Ice, the New Britain, CT native paced his squad with 76 points, including 17 power play markers.

The Habs weren't done yet, as they made a trade with the Stanley Cup champion Penguins to get the 211th and final pick of the day. Renown for his obscure hidden gems, Timmins picked Petteri Simila, a goalie from Finland who guarded the crease for Karpat Jr. last season.

You Can also click here to go to the direct source
Montreal Canadiens Fan | Toronto Raptors Fan | Montreal Alouettes Fan - Proud to be Canadian!!
Snayr
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#65 » by Snayr » Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:29 pm

Don't know how legit it is, but I'm hearing rumbles that Komi is about ready to ink a 6 year/24 million dollar contract with the Habs. Personally I would be happy with that contract, you guys?
Montreal Canadiens Fan | Toronto Raptors Fan | Montreal Alouettes Fan - Proud to be Canadian!!
Musashi
Junior

Post#66 » by Musashi » Sun Jun 28, 2009 7:13 pm

Snayr wrote:Don't know how legit it is, but I'm hearing rumbles that Komi is about ready to ink a 6 year/24 million dollar contract with the Habs. Personally I would be happy with that contract, you guys?

If true, it would be awesome!! I feel Komi has been underated...No he won't put up points, but what he does is worth 4 mill...No clue where you got that but that would be GREAT.

And I want ta say something: in that fight against Lucic, he injured his shoulder at the BEGINNING of the fight...But he still stayed in there, which might have been bad but still...And then he played hurt...Props to him, I like the guy and hope he does stay in Montreal.
vinsanity09
Pro Prospect
And1: 203

Post#67 » by vinsanity09 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:59 pm

I would be happy with that contract, Komisarek is a really good d-man and, apparently, a good leader so if they can get him to stay for 4 millions a year, they should do it
sh00n
RealGM
And1: 1,969

Post#68 » by sh00n » Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:10 am

Snayr wrote:Don't know how legit it is, but I'm hearing rumbles that Komi is about ready to ink a 6 year/24 million dollar contract with the Habs. Personally I would be happy with that contract, you guys?

At 4 mill a year it's a steal. They could give him 12 years and at 4 mill per I'd be happy.
Support your local artist, kids: http://www.katsenhakeron.com
@katsenhaker0n on the bird app
vinsanity09
Pro Prospect

Post#69 » by vinsanity09 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:57 pm

looks like Scott Gomez in a Canadiens now! I was a big fan of him when he was with the Devils, but didn't follow him when he signed with the Rangers

oh ****! I knew that he had a big contract but 7.35 millions a year!? damn he better be producing more then 58 points this year

link: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=283329
Musashi
Junior

Post#70 » by Musashi » Wed Jul 1, 2009 3:47 am

vinsanity09 wrote:looks like Scott Gomez in a Canadiens now! I was a big fan of him when he was with the Devils, but didn't follow him when he signed with the Rangers

oh ****! I knew that he had a big contract but 7.35 millions a year!? damn he better be producing more then 58 points this year

link: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=283329

Hmmm, now it looks like a sure bet we are loosing Komi. I had hopes that Yemelin would replace him...Now who do we pair with Markov? Not a lot of d-men can do what Komi does on a nightly basis...
Musashi
Junior

Post#71 » by Musashi » Wed Jul 1, 2009 7:56 pm

So Spacek to replace Komi???? 35 year old defenseman gets 11.5 mill. over three years...

I am not angry, just sad, very. very sad...
Snayr
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#72 » by Snayr » Wed Jul 1, 2009 8:22 pm

Wth is Gainey doing... wth. Ugh. I'm about ready to hire a hitman to take out Bob Gainey xD (To all you secret government spies out there lurking my comment... NOT REALLY! I'm just pissed!) Lol.
Snayr
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#73 » by Snayr » Wed Jul 1, 2009 9:03 pm

Hal Gill - 2 years/4.5 mill

That's the first good move I've seen by Gainey in a while now.
Musashi
Junior

Post#74 » by Musashi » Wed Jul 1, 2009 9:09 pm

Snayr wrote:Hal Gill - 2 years/4.5 mill

That's the first good move I've seen by Gainey in a while now.

Not bad...Means 100% Komi is gone, which is sad but hey...
vinsanity09
Pro Prospect

Post#75 » by vinsanity09 » Wed Jul 1, 2009 9:51 pm

Cammalleri for 5 years, 30 millions. a litle excessive but I won't complain. I'm just wondering if he'll be able to score 39 goals again without Iginla
Musashi
Junior

Post#76 » by Musashi » Thu Jul 2, 2009 12:30 am

vinsanity09 wrote:Cammalleri for 5 years, 30 millions. a litle excessive but I won't complain. I'm just wondering if he'll be able to score 39 goals again without Iginla

And I keep reading about Turkoglu getting a massive contract offer from the Raps...Tough time to be a Habs/Raps fan :lol:

Seriously, we are going to have the two softest teams ever!

Komi to the leafs for 4.5 per!! He is going to get some hate at the bell center! :)
Musashi
Junior

Post#77 » by Musashi » Thu Jul 2, 2009 12:37 am

And now Gionta is onboard! 5 year deal, don't know the $$ Hope him and Gomez can recreate that NJ magic :)

Edit: 5 years 25 millions, yikes :o
Snayr
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#78 » by Snayr » Thu Jul 2, 2009 1:36 am

We WAY overpayed the past two days... I like the pieces we picked up, but definitely not at the amount of coin we're spending on 'em. To be honest I sort of figured on Gionta becoming a Hab due to the magic he and Gomez had together in that season in NJ, but 5 mill per over 5 years? Steep steep price to pay.

I guess the Molson brothers told Gainey that they had their pocket books out and were ready and willing to sign checks.

Side note:
I HATE that Komi went to the Leafs! I'm going to boo the crap out of him if I ever go to a Habs/Leafs game and he's playing... ugh! Stupid Leafs!
Snayr
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#79 » by Snayr » Thu Jul 2, 2009 1:50 am

Here's an article via Habsinsideout about the Gainey PC tonight at 9:

Canadiens general manager Bob Gainey has just met with the Montreal media at the team's Brossard training facility to discuss his team's entirely new face. He said his work this free-agency season is "probably done."

There are conversations ongoing, though not in any hurry, with Alex Kovalev. Colour Alex Tanguay gone. Ditto long-time captain Saku Koivu.

En français, Gainey said he was trying to find talent, not necessarily size, and feels he has achieved that.

He said the neither Kovalev nor Mike Komisarek exchanged contract numbers, hence Gainey's immediate pursuit of other players.

Gainey added that chemistry played a role in his acquisitions, which is part of the reason why Brian Gionta was brought in to play with Scott Gomez and Mike Cammilleri; Tanguay wasn't seen to be the solution there.

There was discussion about the new captain, so we've seen the last of Koivu in a Canadiens jersey. Gainey said head coach Jacques Martin will be in town next week and the captaincy issue will be talked about then.

Looking more and more like Kovalev will not be returning to the Habs.
Snayr
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#80 » by Snayr » Thu Jul 2, 2009 2:37 am

Got this off of another board:

We have 8.8M cap left and we have to resign Plekanec, Latendresse, Stewart, D'Agostini and Chipchura. We will sign one UFA around 3M per season, but we certainly won't be able to sign Kovalev and Beauchemin.

Return to Montreal Canadiens