Habs off-season - 2010

Moderator: Morris_Shatford

sh00n
RealGM
And1: 1,969

Re: Habs off-season - 2010 

Post#41 » by sh00n » Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:22 am

Another scenario I'd like to see us explore though way less likely is going all out to bring Shea Weber to Montreal. Flat. Out. Stud. Imagine him and PK on the same pairing? :droop:
Support your local artist, kids: http://www.katsenhakeron.com
@katsenhaker0n on the bird app
GnarlesOakley
Lead Assistant
And1: 253

Post#42 » by GnarlesOakley » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:18 pm

sh00n wrote:Another scenario I'd like to see us explore though way less likely is going all out to bring Shea Weber to Montreal. Flat. Out. Stud. Imagine him and PK on the same pairing? :droop:

That would be an epic D line for years to go.

I don't really disagree with anything you say as that would put us over the hump but I don't know how much leverage Markov has with all his injuries. If he expects Chara money he can obviously walk. Gill and Hammer both still have something to offer if either or both of them are willing to take smaller deals. I think the focus needs to be on finding a way to make the D-line younger because we have a lot of forwards in the system that will be fighting for a place in the top 6 within the next 2 years.
sh00n
RealGM

Post#43 » by sh00n » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:29 pm

GnarlesOakley wrote:
sh00n wrote:Another scenario I'd like to see us explore though way less likely is going all out to bring Shea Weber to Montreal. Flat. Out. Stud. Imagine him and PK on the same pairing? :droop:

That would be an epic D line for years to go.

I don't really disagree with anything you say as that would put us over the hump but I don't know how much leverage Markov has with all his injuries. If he expects Chara money he can obviously walk. Gill and Hammer both still have something to offer if either or both of them are willing to take smaller deals. I think the focus needs to be on finding a way to make the D-line younger because we have a lot of forwards in the system that will be fighting for a place in the top 6 within the next 2 years.

I think Tinordi will end up being a solid defenseman for us. Some people said he might actually be a younger Hal Gill with his size and skill ratio. That would be totally fine by me; I just hope Hal is still on the team when Tinordi comes up.

I think Yannick Weber is pretty useless, though. He has a nice shot but he's miserable at decision making. I'd love for us to package him with some other guys who will never make the team due to depth (Desharnais, Maxwell) to bring in some solid young defensemen.

I think if Markov stays healthy this year, he'll want Chara money. He'll say he stayed healthy all year and would command more on the open market and PG will probably bite on all his demands.
GnarlesOakley
Lead Assistant
And1: 253

Post#44 » by GnarlesOakley » Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:22 pm

Weber reminds me of a rich man's MAB.

Tinordi I think is very promising but it could go either way. Top tier defensive dmen take a long time to develop.
sh00n
RealGM

Post#45 » by sh00n » Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:04 am

GnarlesOakley wrote:Weber reminds me of a rich man's MAB.

Wow. Can you underrate a player any more than that? He's a top 5 defenseman in the league. The only guys I would take over him are Doughty and Keith based on how good they are now and how old they are. If you factor in strictly how they're playing today, the I'd only add Lidstrom, Pronger and Chara ahead of him with Doughty and Keith. So a top 6 defenseman. But if I was building a team around a defenseman, he'd be the first choice after Doughty and Keith.
Snayr
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4

Post#46 » by Snayr » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:44 pm

sh00n, I do believe he was talking about our Weber, and not Shea Weber in his "rich man's MAB" assessment.
Montreal Canadiens Fan | Toronto Raptors Fan | Montreal Alouettes Fan - Proud to be Canadian!!

Return to Montreal Canadiens