Markov gone for 4 - 6 weeks

Moderator: Morris_Shatford

Morris_Shatford
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors
And1: 5,452

Markov gone for 4 - 6 weeks 

Post#1 » by Morris_Shatford » Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:59 pm

Montreal Canadiens defenceman Andrei Markov will not be in the team's lineup for at least another month.

Markov underwent arthroscopic surgery Monday to remove debris from his right knee, and his recovery is estimated to be four to six weeks.

Dr. James Andrews performed the surgery in Florida.

Markov had been practicing with the team but he and the Habs decided to go with the surgery, which was announced Saturday.

His tentative return to the lineup at that time was expected to be at least three weeks, though general manager Pierre Gauthier said the timeline could increase "depending on what they find in there."

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/story/?id=3 ... -canadiens
Thanks to Turbozone for the Sig!
spykelee
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,764

Re: Markov gone for 4 - 6 weeks 

Post#2 » by spykelee » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:50 am

4-6 weeks sure... There's alot of speculation out there that it might be for the season, or his career... which wouldn't be entirely surprising. This was an awful signing, one of the worst I can ever recall honestly.
Morris_Shatford
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors

Post#3 » by Morris_Shatford » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:38 pm

spykelee wrote:4-6 weeks sure... There's alot of speculation out there that it might be for the season, or his career... which wouldn't be entirely surprising. This was an awful signing, one of the worst I can ever recall honestly.

Its getting pretty close to career ending;
He comes back as a lesser player with every injury, and I think trading for Kaberle and that contract is a pretty clear sign that Montreal management seems to agree with you about Markov's long term health.
spykelee
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by spykelee » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:48 pm

Yea. Whether they feel he's done or not, I personally have always liked Kaberle's game. Being in Toronto, I and yourself I'm assuming, have watched him play for years and he's a great defensemen. Exaxtly what montreal needs to get our PP going. And Montreal really relies on there special teams so anything to enhance those is a good deal in my opinion.

What I got from the Kaberle deal was less an indictment of there thoughts on Markov, and more of a last ditch effort by Gauthier to rescue this season and his job. Personally, I've never liked Gauthier or Martin. They've built the smallest most single entity reliant team in the league. We basically ride Price and Cammeleri. How Gauthier thought that signing a guy who's had 2 major knee surgeries on the same knee in 2 or so years was addressing our awful defense is beyond me. I don't really understand why we let Wiesnewski go, he seemed to be pretty solid... Anyways, either way, I've already wrote Markov off, and I hope that whatever happens, that Montreal at the very least, get's rid of this clown Gauthier.
Morris_Shatford
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors

Post#5 » by Morris_Shatford » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:33 pm

I loved Wiz;
But every year there is a middle tier blueliner that wins the free agent lottery; last summer it was him.

A 5.5m dollar cap hit till 2016-2017 on a player turning 28 is something I am content we walked away with, he has become a softer player since he left the Ducks dishing out less hits and blocking less shots while making the transition from a guy who I felt could be a Craig Ludwig-lite on defense to a full blown offensive dandy.

I am much more comfortable with a professional offensive dandy like Kaberle taking up 4.25 for two more seasons then keeping Wiz for what he was ultimately paid.

Gauthier is not wrong in trying to save the season; the Habs are basically five points out of 3rd in a very close Eastern Conference.

However the Habs biggest problem is a lack of a finisher; they have a lot of guys who can pass the puck but too few guys who score. When Erik Cole is your leading goalscorer you know there is a problem.

While its a long shot, someone like Bobby Ryan who is rumored to be on the block solves a lot of the Habs problems up front.
spykelee
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by spykelee » Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:28 am

Geez, I didn't really pay that close of attention to the kind of contract Wiz got... seeing it there, can't say I'm disappointed we didn't sign him either...

I don't really mind Gauthier going all in per say, as I like the idea of always trying to win... but I don't like it that where in the position to HAVE to go all in just to make a push for the playoffs. I thought we were a pretty safe playoff bet at the start of the season, and I actually think we're going to be the best Canadian team in the playoff's (Eat your hearts out Vancouver)

It just bugs me that our holes where so obvious going into the off-season and the guy hardly did anything at all to address any of them. And I really don't get where he thought it was a good idea to sign a guy with all of Markov's knee problems, not only to a contract, but to a fairly big, multi year deal... Watch, the guy's career is going to be over and we signed him to a multi year deal. If that alone isn't enough to get you canned, I don't know what is...

But I like picking up Kaberle, assuming he can somewhat return to form, He will be a great addition.
Morris_Shatford
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors

Post#7 » by Morris_Shatford » Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:31 pm

spykelee wrote:
It just bugs me that our holes where so obvious going into the off-season and the guy hardly did anything at all to address any of them. And I really don't get where he thought it was a good idea to sign a guy with all of Markov's knee problems, not only to a contract, but to a fairly big, multi year deal... Watch, the guy's career is going to be over and we signed him to a multi year deal. If that alone isn't enough to get you canned, I don't know what is...

But I like picking up Kaberle, assuming he can somewhat return to form, He will be a great addition.

That summerizes my frustration as well;
When this teams managment gets a direction they seem to have blinders on to all other needs. It appeared we wanted to return to the 70's model of small wingers and big blueliners, it didnt quite work and we still rolled with it.

Kaberle is the first sign that we may actually be seeing the forest for the trees
spykelee
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by spykelee » Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:47 am

cosmostein wrote:That summerizes my frustration as well;
When this teams managment gets a direction they seem to have blinders on to all other needs. It appeared we wanted to return to the 70's model of small wingers and big blueliners, it didnt quite work and we still rolled with it.

Kaberle is the first sign that we may actually be seeing the forest for the trees

That's my frustration in a nutshell. "Well it's a french market, we need a french coach, and a french GM and we're always going to target french players... this isn't the 70's anymore... plus it seems like the last few years they keep trying to add a single big piece instead of several competent little pieces.

don't get me wrong, Montreal does need a big piece or two, but I feel at this stage that we really need more quality depth, as opposed to star power. Defense especially, and I think some talent on our 3rd and fourth line would go a long way as well.

Getting Kaberle, at least for me, does address a glaring need on this team, and I'm hopeful that he can ressurrect his career with us. He's a great puck mover and good skater, and great setup man on the powerplay. Montreal lives and die's on the PP, so in my mind, that's a great addition.
Morris_Shatford
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors

Post#9 » by Morris_Shatford » Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:40 pm

French players don't want to play in Montreal;
The media eats them alive.

Management needs to look at their core of forwards and realize that small guys may be fast, but small guys can get thrown off their game with one solid open ice hit.

I am fine with a few smurfs on a line, but you need a Gargamel to round it out.

Return to Montreal Canadiens