Habs and Flyers Talking Trade?

Moderator: Morris_Shatford

Morris_Shatford
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors
And1: 5,452

Habs and Flyers Talking Trade? 

Post#1 » by Morris_Shatford » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:36 pm

news broke that the Montreal Canadiens may not yet be done making changes to their roster. All we know right now is that it most likely involves a major player, and he could either be traded or waived within the next few days.

When I first heard the news, my immediate thought was that it's got to be Scott Gomez.

He hasn't really been working out all that well for Montreal, and I'm sure they'd love to get him off the books to clear salary and potentially make a few more moves. After all, he hasn't really lived up to the $7,357,143 that he's making this year alone.

However, Scott's contract will be hard to rid themselves of, unless they plan on just waiving him.

It's hard not to believe the Philadelphia Flyers are at least kicking the tires with the Canadiens. As much as Paul Holmgren and Peter Laviolette say that they're "comfortable" with their team moving forward, I think they both know that they'll need to make a move at some point, even if it's not right away.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/9809 ... -canadiens
Thanks to Turbozone for the Sig!
Morris_Shatford
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors

Re: Habs and Flyers Talking Trade? 

Post#2 » by Morris_Shatford » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:43 pm

The Flyers have to be pretty darn desperate to be thinking about taking on Gomez, or they feel they can dump an equally putrid contract in exchange for him.

The problem with the Flyers is they don't have a glut of terrible deals for players who are sucking wind as bad as Gomez.
spykelee
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,764

Post#3 » by spykelee » Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:32 am

The Flyers almost always paste Montreal. If there's 1 team, we need more guys on our team from, it's Philly. Tough, Grinding, Skating, In your face guys... some of them even have some goal scoring ability.

It always pains me to watch Philly play Montreal... We need to be on a powerplay just to look like it's 5 on 5 out there. They are our worst matchup bar none... though with losing Richards and Gagne and now Pronger, they aren't quite as daunting as they used to be...

Having said that, I'd take any trade with Philly. I like that Zach Rinaldo character... But if there interested in Gomez, please Gauthier get er done. What an albatross that contract is. But as you said, who do they have that could possibly even up a trade with Gomez?
Morris_Shatford
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors

Post#4 » by Morris_Shatford » Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:33 pm

spykelee wrote: But if there interested in Gomez, please Gauthier get er done. What an albatross that contract is. But as you said, who do they have that could possibly even up a trade with Gomez?

Hartnell perhaps?
But unlikely.
spykelee
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,764

Post#5 » by spykelee » Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:42 am

Hartnell would be a great fit on Montreal. We need a couple lines of Scott Hartnell's here. He's who I was thinking of too. But whether it's philly or not, we certainly should be talking trade and hopefully looking at some grittyness up front. I'd love a Jordin Tootoo, and maybe a young player like a Nick Spaling from Nashville...

How do you feel about Gauthier leading the charge moving forward though? I didn't think he did a great job in Ottawa, and I haven't liked him in Montreal.

This constantly hiring french guys for every power position in our orginization really needs to stop. If where going the trade route, I'd feel much better about it if it wasn't Gauthier calling the shots.
Morris_Shatford
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors

Post#6 » by Morris_Shatford » Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:35 pm

spykelee wrote:Hartnell would be a great fit on Montreal. We need a couple lines of Scott Hartnell's here. He's who I was thinking of too. But whether it's philly or not, we certainly should be talking trade and hopefully looking at some grittyness up front. I'd love a Jordin Tootoo, and maybe a young player like a Nick Spaling from Nashville...

How do you feel about Gauthier leading the charge moving forward though? I didn't think he did a great job in Ottawa, and I haven't liked him in Montreal.

This constantly hiring french guys for every power position in our orginization really needs to stop. If where going the trade route, I'd feel much better about it if it wasn't Gauthier calling the shots.

I like power forwards, but I like skilled power forwards.

We are in an era where the term "grit" is highly overrated. A team like Detroit which I consider the definition of consistent winning franchise are normally amongst the bottom of the league in both PIM's and fighting majors.

We need guys to clear the net , who can power through the other teams defense, and who can win battles along the boards. What we don't need are guys taking penalties for the sake of them just because they want to be "tough guys".

I hate Gauthier leading the way;
His drafting has been bad, his trades have been terrible (save for Kabs), and he is generally uninspired during the off-season.

Martin was the wrong guy to axe.

Return to Montreal Canadiens