http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=384950
Thanks to Turbozone for the Sig!
spykelee
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,764

Re: Cammalleri Traded to Flames 

Post#2 » by spykelee » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:59 pm

Awful deal... but if the guy wanted out of town, you either hang onto him while your season goes down the train and he dog's it out there, or you trade him while you can. I think our hand was forced, but still sad to see him go. The guy is a gamer. He just couldn't get motivated playing for nothing out there...

Bourque could be good if he ever commits himself, and at 22, hey may someday. And I do like his size that he brings, along with Gauthier's acknowdlegement (Finally) that we need some size... even if it is two years too late... but I can't be too enthusiastic about the possibilty of another guy just floating around out there. Hopefully the salary savings and second round pick can make this deal acceptable for MTL.

And lastly, should be clear that were in for a re-build here, and if that's the case, please get rid of Gauthier. He's the last guy that should be calling the shots for this franchise moving forward.
Morris_Shatford
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors
And1: 5,452

Post#3 » by Morris_Shatford » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:06 pm

My reaction to this deal has been all over the map;

However I have settled on quite content;
Now hear me out before you flame!

Both of these guys have terrible attitudes and run hot and cold with their underutilized talents; Cammalleri is on pace to toss up 42pts, last season he had 47, and the season before he had 50, a far cry from the guy who earned this deal with 82 points in 2008-09.

Bourque on the other-hand has never had that solid season, his best season ever was 58pts and tossed up 50 last season, and is on pace for 40pts this season.

Both guys appear to be 40-50pt players with their current level of play; however Bourque does so at a 3m dollar savings. There is no question that Cammalleri has a far higher ceiling as it pertains to who good he is when he is "on" the problem is we have never seen Cammalleri "on" save for that wonderful run in the playoffs so long ago for the Habs.

I think most Habs fans agree you we need to unload some of our lengthy and expensive commitments if we want to attract talent to make us better, and after this season we need to make a very expensive decision on Cary Price.

If we ultimately end up with similar production out of Bourque as we were going to end up geiing out of Cammalleri then the deal sits well with me.

As for the balance;
The Habs get a second round pick for their troubles, Patrick Holland is 20 and seems to have a little more upside then Karri Ramos who is 25 however both are ultimately "meh" players and the 5th rounder heading out can be had for cash on draft day and I am not too worried about it.
spykelee
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,764

Post#4 » by spykelee » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:37 pm

I don't know if Cam's has a terrible attitude. His last little bit hasn't been great for sure, but this season has been tough on everyone...

Your right that Cam's production has been down basically his whole time in Montreal, but I think at least, some of that blame has to go on Montreal as a hole. They just don't have really any offensive weapons. Even the most dynamic offensive players need at the very least competent offenive players beside them. Look no further than a guy like Rick Nash. So although Cam's production wasn't great here, we where never a threatning offensive team even at the best of times.

I certainly like the savings with Borque, and his size, and that we get a better pick out of it... But there's no doubt in my mind that we gave up the best player in the deal, and even with his recent outbursts, one of the leaders of our team. I just hope ultimtely it leads to getting rid of Gauthier.
Morris_Shatford
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors
And1: 5,452

Post#5 » by Morris_Shatford » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:18 pm

I don't think Cam is a bad guy, I just think that at times like this where the season has been hard the true leaders step up on the ice and off it, and he had done neither.

No question that the Habs gave up the best player in theory;
If it was the Habs fault that he couldn't deliver will be evident fairly quickly. If he goes the Calgary and returns to the form that secured him the deal he is on then there is no question, however if he finishes the season with 50 points then I really have a hard time blaming the team more then the player.

I want Gauthier gone as much as the next guy, but this move shows me that the guy understands the situation we are in, if we want to add a guy like Rick Nash the Coats are not going to be taking on one of our assy deals in the process, they are getting picks and prospects and an reasonable NHL contract or two.

Yesterday we had around a million in capspace, today we have closer to three.
If you want to add an impact guy like Nash who is making 7.8 we need to be in a situation where we can absorb as much of that salary as possible;

While I like getting "leaner" in terms of our commitments Gauthier true nature and intelligence as a hockey guy will be determined by the next move, hoping there one.

Return to Montreal Canadiens