Trade Deadline 2012 Thread

Moderator: Morris_Shatford

Morris_Shatford
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors
And1: 5,452

Trade Deadline 2012 Thread 

Post#1 » by Morris_Shatford » Mon Feb 6, 2012 5:33 pm

The NHL Trade deadline for the 2011–12 NHL season is set for February 27, 2012 at 3 pm EST.

Let's keep any rumors and discussion parked in here,
Not just for the Habs but any discussion surrounding the deadline
Thanks to Turbozone for the Sig!
spykelee
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,764

Re: Trade Deadline 2012 Thread 

Post#2 » by spykelee » Tue Feb 7, 2012 11:59 am

Lots of talk About Sam Gagner out in Edmonton being on the block. You'd have to think with that 8 point game, if he is available, there's probably some teams lining up to take a run at him. Edmonton needs some goaltending and/or defense... P.K for Gagner straight up seems like were giving up a little bit too much, but something along those lines could maybe get it done.
Morris_Shatford
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors

Post#3 » by Morris_Shatford » Tue Feb 7, 2012 4:17 pm

spykelee wrote:Lots of talk About Sam Gagner out in Edmonton being on the block. You'd have to think with that 8 point game, if he is available, there's probably some teams lining up to take a run at him. Edmonton needs some goaltending and/or defense... P.K for Gagner straight up seems like were giving up a little bit too much, but something along those lines could maybe get it done.

I am fearful that Sam Gagner is a "buy high" situation, he has had a wonderful run but I am not sure I would move PK for him.

If we are going to sell the farm in terms of prospects, picks, and or young talent I want a bona fide stud coming back, and while I think Gagner is solid he isn't quite what I want.
Morris_Shatford
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors

Post#4 » by Morris_Shatford » Tue Feb 7, 2012 4:24 pm

* Montreal is a team that also may be a player for one of the major forwards in this deadline. They are trying to move some guys, but also are not afraid to be buyers I am told. Look to Carter and Nash. Not UFAs like Parise or Semin.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?blogger_id=1

Jeff Carter is on the books at nearly 6m per till 2017-18 and isn't exactly lighting the world on fire.
The only way I consider that contract is if Scott Gomez is going the other way which does end up being a long term savings for the Coats.

If we are taking on under-performing contracts then Markov or Gomez need to be outbound. Kaberle much to my surprise has been solid and I am perfectly content with him as our offensive blueliner moving forward.

I am pleased that there is at least rumors out there that we have no plans being the team to pony up extensions for Semin or Parise.
spykelee
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by spykelee » Thu Feb 9, 2012 4:30 pm

I wouldn't want to do PK straight up for Gagner either, I just think it's something like that, a high impact D-men or goaltender that Edmonton is looking for... Maybe they'd take Georges for him? That's a decent trade for both teams. But yea, we certainly shouldn't be selling the farm for a guy like Gagner. That only applies to stars for sure.

In regards to Carter, a decent fit for our team, though not my favourite player to be taking a chance on. I do like his toughness and goal scoring though. If we can trade Gomez for him, or for anything really, geez, you have to pull the trigger on that no? If we could snag Carter for Gomez and spare parts I'd do that in a heartbeat. Carter at least could and should be good. Gomez is just trash.

And I wouldn't pony up for Semin, but I'm not sure I'd mind ponying up for Parise. He's a top 15 talent in the league no?
spykelee
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by spykelee » Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:05 am

So ya gotta figure that Hall Gill will be on the block. Some contender must want his experience and size etc. What kind of return can he net us? He worth a 2nd rounder maybe?
Morris_Shatford
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors

Post#7 » by Morris_Shatford » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:16 pm

spykelee wrote:And I wouldn't pony up for Semin, but I'm not sure I'd mind ponying up for Parise. He's a top 15 talent in the league no?

I am concerned about former Devils playing in our system :lol:
Morris_Shatford
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors

Post#8 » by Morris_Shatford » Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:17 pm

spykelee wrote:So ya gotta figure that Hall Gill will be on the block. Some contender must want his experience and size etc. What kind of return can he net us? He worth a 2nd rounder maybe?

I suspect the Habs will get calls on Gill
I would take a second a rounder, but would be far more content to use him as part of a larger deal.
spykelee
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by spykelee » Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:20 pm

Morris_Shatford wrote:
spykelee wrote:So ya gotta figure that Hall Gill will be on the block. Some contender must want his experience and size etc. What kind of return can he net us? He worth a 2nd rounder maybe?

I suspect the Habs will get calls on Gill
I would take a second a rounder, but would be far more content to use him as part of a larger deal.

If the larger deal is out there, I think we'd all prefer that. Montreal certainly has a lot of depth veterans that would be good fits on contending teams. A bunch of them to one team could net a fairly hefty return to be sure.

The Montreal Gazette has removed San Jose as a possible destination for Travis Moen with there acquisition of ex hab, Dominick Moore. He was a solid guy for us, I was sad to see him go last year. But gotta figure there'd be a decent market for both of Gill and Moen. Hopefully Gauthier get's his head out of his ass and net's us a good return.
spykelee
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by spykelee » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:32 am

The Montreal Canadiens made it official Friday they will be sellers leading up to the NHL trade deadline, dealing veteran defenceman Hal Gill to the Nashville Predators for a draft pick and a piece of their history.

Montreal sent Gill and a conditional 2013 fifth-round draft pick to Nashville for a 2012 second-round pick, prospect Robert Slaney and Blake Geoffrion, the 24-year-old grandson of Hall of Famer Bernard (Boom Boom) Geoffrion.

Well I think we "won" the trade in that we picked up a couple guys who may be good someday, and we got the better draft pick... however inspite of my post a couple posts back about getting a 2nd rounder straight up for Gill, I'm not quite sure we got the value I was hoping for... as strange as that is.
Morris_Shatford
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors

Post#11 » by Morris_Shatford » Tue Mar 6, 2012 7:45 pm

I am taking a different approach to the Gill trade;
I think the Habs should have been wearing a mask and holding a gun to pull off that robbery.

Blake Geoffrion comes in and is according to HockeyFuture is our 7th best prospect; that is huge.
He is a big kid who can throw the weight around and is solid on both side of the puck.

Robert Slaney I had to google because I never heard of the guy, but he is a body who plays ice hockey.

Adding the 2012 second was IMO gravy. I would have done the deal straight up for Geoffrion who is 24 and fills a need we have big time in terms of gritty forwards.
Morris_Shatford
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors

Post#12 » by Morris_Shatford » Tue Mar 6, 2012 7:47 pm

Andrei Kostitsyn is being reunited with his brother, Sergei in Nashville.

The Montreal Canadiens have sent the forward to the Predators for a second-round pick in 2013 and a conditional pick they received in the Hal Gill trade -- a fifth-round selection in the 2013 Entry Draft.

http://www.tsn.ca/tradecentre/story/?id=388965
Morris_Shatford
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors

Post#13 » by Morris_Shatford » Tue Mar 6, 2012 7:49 pm

I like the Kostitsyn deal.
There was no intention of keeping him, and now you own Nashville's second for two years in a row which is a nice trade piece for bigger and better things.

Return to Montreal Canadiens