NHL Trade Deadline Thread - Habs Edition (HUET TRADED!)

Moderator: Morris_Shatford

Snayr
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4

NHL Trade Deadline Thread - Habs Edition (HUET TRADED!) 

Post#1 » by Snayr » Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:24 pm

Wow! Huet has been traded to the Washington Capitals for the Capitals 2nd round draft pick (Anaheims 2009 pick). This is huge for the Habs. Huet has been an excellent competitor and goalie for us through the years, but when Carey Price was drafted we knew this was going to be Careys team.

Looks like Gainey is stockpiling picks for a big trade today? ;)

Huet Traded
Montreal Canadiens Fan | Toronto Raptors Fan | Montreal Alouettes Fan - Proud to be Canadian!!
a-rod
Assistant Coach
And1: 21

Re: NHL Trade Deadline Thread - Habs Edition (HUET TRADED!) 

Post#2 » by a-rod » Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:06 pm

Snayr wrote:Wow! Huet has been traded to the Washington Capitals for the Capitals 2nd round draft pick (Anaheims 2009 pick). This is huge for the Habs. Huet has been an excellent competitor and goalie for us through the years, but when Carey Price was drafted we knew this was going to be Careys team.

Looks like Gainey is stockpiling picks for a big trade today? ;)

Huet Traded

i hope so, its Carey Price time now.
pillwenney wrote:
SacKingZZZ wrote:No thanks to Deng. I read a rumor surfing hoopshype awhile back saying Gay for Reke is a possibility.

Must be true, if it's a rumor you read on Hoopshype.
:rofl:
sh00n
RealGM
And1: 1,969

Post#3 » by sh00n » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:01 pm

You gotta be kidding me. . . **** Penguins. . .
Support your local artist, kids: http://www.katsenhakeron.com
@katsenhaker0n on the bird app
Snayr
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by Snayr » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:39 pm

Wow... you don't know how freakin' pissed off I am right now. Not only did we lose out on the Hossa sweepstakes but we traded Huet for next to nothing. Way to go Gainey, way to screw us over.
Montreal Canadiens Fan | Toronto Raptors Fan | Montreal Alouettes Fan - Proud to be Canadian!!
sh00n
RealGM

Post#5 » by sh00n » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:26 pm

Snayr wrote:Wow... you don't know how freakin' pissed off I am right now. Not only did we lose out on the Hossa sweepstakes but we traded Huet for next to nothing. Way to go Gainey, way to screw us over.

No, I think Gainey got screwed over by Waddell. Habs had Hossa shirts printed, jerseys, everything. Hossa himself thought he was going to be in a Habs uni tonight. It's Waddell who decided to send him to the Pens last minute.

I have enough faith in Price that he'll be able to carry us in the playoffs, but I'm beyond pissed over what Atlanta did to us.
ygrr
Junior
And1: 0

Post#6 » by ygrr » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:19 pm

so we lose our goaler..get nothing in return but a draft pick that wont help us in the playoff....
WOW....just wow...speachless
MerK
Senior
And1: 1

Post#7 » by MerK » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:33 am

did anyone listen to the news conference?
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=13715
there's a loose transcript of it. No one was offering anything for goalies today. So.. would you rather get nothing for Huet when he becomes a UFA? We haven't overpaid our prospects for a rental player, we didn't necessarily get better today, but we all knew that we win or lose with Price after this season. Gainey said in the press conference that waddell ended up asking for 4 parts for Hossa, and 3 of them already dress for the habs.

Gainey had to get something back, large or small, for Huet.

It's a lil dissappointing, but in Bob We Trust. He's not an idiot. and didn't get taken advantage of.
Sig by Rare!!
Snayr
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by Snayr » Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:08 am

Yeah I felt a lot better about what happened today after hearing what Gainey said at the press conference. I still think we could have gotten more for Huet, Gainey himself said that the prices rose throughout the day. So he jumped the gun a little on Huets trade and didn't get what he could have later in the day, but he made one thing clear. Huet was not the goalie of the Habs future.

As for the Hossa trade, I'm glad we didnt go for it, as it would have take 3 players who were on our nhl roster and most likely Grabovski.
MerK
Senior
And1: 1

Post#9 » by MerK » Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:49 am

exactly Snayr. I wasn't trying to rag on anyone here. Just trying to look at the bright side. We're the only team in the NHL with 6 players with 40 pts or more. We're deep as hell, young and the future is bright. I do not want to lose that for a questionable guy like Hossa.

Granted we could've gotten more for Huet, but what can you do now? The 2nd round isn't a horrible place to draft, especially with the scouts the habs have. Not saying it will ever happen again, but Patty Roy was selected in the third round. So... who knows right?

We embarrassed the thrashers tonight and Price looked sharp. The kid loves the pressure. hopefully he keeps it up.

Sig by Rare!!
inrapscity
General Manager
And1: 62

Post#10 » by inrapscity » Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:41 pm

should've gotten a 1st.
sh00n
RealGM

Post#11 » by sh00n » Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:54 pm

inrapscity wrote:should've gotten a 1st.

Maybe, but a first is worth a lot coming from Washington, especially if it's for 2008 with the draft class coming up this year.
inrapscity
General Manager
And1: 62

Post#12 » by inrapscity » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:04 pm

sh00n wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Maybe, but a first is worth a lot coming from Washington, especially if it's for 2008 with the draft class coming up this year.

i get it but still, it's Huet!
sh00n
RealGM

Post#13 » by sh00n » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:07 pm

inrapscity wrote:-= original quote snipped =-
i get it but still, it's Huet!

Huet's overrated in the sense that everyone feels we could've gotten a superstar for him. I liked him in Montreal, but he lets in too many soft goals ala Jose Theodore and once he gets one scored early against him he's screwed for the rest of the game.

The 2nd rounder will be a nice prospect and really I'd rather have a prospect than let Huet walk for nothing. Price can handle the pressure, he needs to learn one way or another.

On the other hand, I would've loved to have gotten Federov before Washington snatched him. With what they gave up for him I'm sure we could've offered Chipchura or some other young piece for him. Oh well.
Snayr
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by Snayr » Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:55 pm

Even Gainey admitted that the prices changed throughout the day. Earlier in the day all he could get for Huet was Anaheims 2nd rounder from the caps in 09. Would have been a lot better had it been in 08 seeing how deep the draft is, but it's over with now.

It was basically just a statement to Carey Price, and the whole NHL.

"The Montreal Canadiens future lies in the hands of Carey Price, and Jaroslav Halak. Not those of Christobal Huet."

It was a bold move, and it's been made. Now we sit back a see what fruitions come of it.

Return to Montreal Canadiens