Updates on former Wolves

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

shrink
RealGM
And1: 15,056

Re: Updates on former Wolves 

Post#1621 » by shrink » Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:51 am

Guest84 wrote:Came across this. Never heard Steph's side of it

So, he says it wasn’t about the money, but instead, Minnesota is cold in the winter, harder to drive and has too many white people?

Yeah, not a fan of this side either.
Note30
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,583

Post#1622 » by Note30 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:28 am

shrink wrote:
Guest84 wrote:Came across this. Never heard Steph's side of it

So, he says it wasn’t about the money, but instead, Minnesota is cold in the winter, harder to drive and has too many white people?

Yeah, not a fan of this side either.

It is cold and harder to drive in...
frankenwolf wrote:I hope you eat every one of these words next year when the Timberwolves are world champions

I was blind but now I see.
Movics
Pro Prospect
And1: 777

Post#1623 » by Movics » Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:53 pm

That harder to drive in MN excuse might be the lamest one I’ve ever heard from a multi millionaire
all I ever needed was somebody with some reason who can keep me sane
Ever since I can remember, I've been keepin' it together, but I'm feelin' strange
shrink
RealGM
And1: 15,056

Post#1624 » by shrink » Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:57 pm

Note30 wrote:It is cold and harder to drive in...

True, but in MIN he also had the opportunity to team with a young Kevin Garnett for his career, and people are still asking 25 years later why he chose to leave and change the trajectory of his life.
Guest84
Pro Prospect
And1: 408

Post#1625 » by Guest84 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:17 pm

shrink wrote:
Note30 wrote:It is cold and harder to drive in...

True, but in MIN he also had the opportunity to team with a young Kevin Garnett for his career, and people are still asking 25 years later why he chose to leave and change the trajectory of his life.

Sometimes ppl just have to do what's best for them regardless of how others take it. As a fan, the timing sucked and the reason may not be accepted but I get it. Growing up here, I completely understand the feeling when that cold season approaches.

Sounds like it was a culture shock and he couldn't adjust. Oh well
Note30
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,583

Post#1626 » by Note30 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:43 pm

Movics wrote:That harder to drive in MN excuse might be the lamest one I’ve ever heard from a multi millionaire

Why? I can find tons of examples of players driving cars around the cities they live in...
frankenwolf wrote:I hope you eat every one of these words next year when the Timberwolves are world champions

I was blind but now I see.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,666

Post#1627 » by Calinks » Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:22 pm

I think Dallas is overhyped. They arent on the level of the top 3 seeds. I don't see them beating OKC.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
Movics
Pro Prospect
And1: 777

Post#1628 » by Movics » Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:24 pm

Note30 wrote:
Movics wrote:That harder to drive in MN excuse might be the lamest one I’ve ever heard from a multi millionaire

Why? I can find tons of examples of players driving cars around the cities they live in...

I’ve only lived in two parts of St Paul, but I don’t remember the roads being in such conditions that it was hard to drive around. It could be a different situation in the suburbs, I can’t comment on that. However, he can hire people to clean his driveway every morning, he can buy any 4WD/AWD vehicles he wants, he can put any tires on said car that would help him in a snowy environment. There’s nothing wrong with wanting out, but that excuse is laughable. He was here in the peak Hummer H1 era which is good enough for military use, but not for driving around on roads in Minneapolis metro?
all I ever needed was somebody with some reason who can keep me sane
Ever since I can remember, I've been keepin' it together, but I'm feelin' strange
TimberKat
Analyst
And1: 1,624

Post#1629 » by TimberKat » Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:34 am

Bucks about to be down 3-1 vs IND. Beasley was having a good year but disappeared since March. I was expecting him to have a 20+ pt game with Lillard out but not happening. Pat Bev not doing much either. Vanderbilt out all year. Lakers could had use him. Actually Suns could use him more. Kessler regressed. Bolmaro is out of the league. Keynote George looks like could be an NBA player but still a win for Wolves on the Gobert trade so far.

Interestingly KLove still contributing to the current team :D - Love turn into Wiggins into DLo into Conley/NAW are critical part of the current team.
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,639

Post#1630 » by winforlose » Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:15 am

TimberKat wrote:Bucks about to be down 3-1 vs IND. Beasley was having a good year but disappeared since March. I was expecting him to have a 20+ pt game with Lillard out but not happening. Pat Bev not doing much either. Vanderbilt out all year. Lakers could had use him. Actually Suns could use him more. Kessler regressed. Bolmaro is out of the league. Keynote George looks like could be an NBA player but still a win for Wolves on the Gobert trade so far.

Interestingly KLove still contributing to the current team :D - Love turn into Wiggins into DLo into Conley/NAW are critical part of the current team.

Do we count Kessler? By that logic don’t we need to count Markkanen?
TimberKat
Analyst
And1: 1,624

Post#1631 » by TimberKat » Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:59 am

winforlose wrote:
TimberKat wrote:Bucks about to be down 3-1 vs IND. Beasley was having a good year but disappeared since March. I was expecting him to have a 20+ pt game with Lillard out but not happening. Pat Bev not doing much either. Vanderbilt out all year. Lakers could had use him. Actually Suns could use him more. Kessler regressed. Bolmaro is out of the league. Keynote George looks like could be an NBA player but still a win for Wolves on the Gobert trade so far.

Didn't we make the Butler trade on draft night before we pick? Gobert trade happened later in the summer. I am sure Kessler at least had practiced at Target center.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#1632 » by winforlose » Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:17 am

TimberKat wrote:
winforlose wrote:

Didn't we make the Butler trade on draft night before we pick? Gobert trade happened later in the summer. I am sure Kessler at least had practiced at Target center.

I don’t even know if he got a press conference introducing him. If he did he was traded right after. He was not on the summer league team.
BlacJacMac
Sixth Man
And1: 1,465

Post#1633 » by BlacJacMac » Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:18 am

We knew about the Butler deal before the draft was over.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#1634 » by winforlose » Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:23 am

BlacJacMac wrote:We knew about the Butler deal before the draft was over.

True. I am just asking what constitutes being a former wolf? Kessler was never actually in uniform for the Wolves and was not here long enough to be in the Summer league. I am not trying to say Markkanen is a former Wolf.
younggunsmn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,443

Post#1635 » by younggunsmn » Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:53 am

Movics wrote:
Note30 wrote:

I’ve only lived in two parts of St Paul, but I don’t remember the roads being in such conditions that it was hard to drive around. It could be a different situation in the suburbs, I can’t comment on that. However, he can hire people to clean his driveway every morning, he can buy any 4WD/AWD vehicles he wants, he can put any tires on said car that would help him in a snowy environment. There’s nothing wrong with wanting out, but that excuse is laughable. He was here in the peak Hummer H1 era which is good enough for military use, but not for driving around on roads in Minneapolis metro?

One thing about Minnesota winters is that one year can be much nastier than the next.
I think I blew my driveway once this winter.
If I recall correctly 1997 was a particularly bad winter with a LOT of snowfall, which would have been Marbury's rookie year.

Bad weather and too many white people is a pretty sad excuse for forcing your way out of a team.
I've had the same spinouts on black ice.
I learned to deal with the environment I was living in.
I wasn't a 20 year old multimillionaire I had no choice but to adapt.

In other words, basketball and winning didn't mean enough to him.
I can see why he went kinda crazy later on in his career, marbury does not come off as a very mentally tough individual.

Those were the days before restricted free agency, had that existed back then along with the 4 year rookie scale, we probably call his bluff instead of trading him in the middle of his 3rd season.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,197

Post#1636 » by Klomp » Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:17 pm

winforlose wrote:
BlacJacMac wrote:We knew about the Butler deal before the draft was over.

True. I am just asking what constitutes being a former wolf? Kessler was never actually in uniform for the Wolves and was not here long enough to be in the Summer league. I am not trying to say Markkanen is a former Wolf.

tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves