Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

BlacJacMac
Sixth Man
And1: 1,548

Re: The Official Leonard Miller Thread 

Post#101 » by BlacJacMac » Fri Jul 7, 2023 12:42 am

urinesane wrote:
Klomp wrote:
BlacJacMac wrote:Interesting that he says his path is different when asked about 32 and 34 signing.

Makes me think he's getting a deal similar to Minott last year.

That is interesting indeed....both 32 and 34 signed 4-year deals FWIW

Doogie asks such weird questions sometimes. Why would you ask a brand new player about their contract?

Is it that weird to ask a rookie if he's going to be signing his contract soon?
urinesane
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,882

Post#102 » by urinesane » Fri Jul 7, 2023 1:12 am

BlacJacMac wrote:
urinesane wrote:
Klomp wrote:That is interesting indeed....both 32 and 34 signed 4-year deals FWIW

Doogie asks such weird questions sometimes. Why would you ask a brand new player about their contract?

Is it that weird to ask a rookie if he's going to be signing his contract soon?

I don't know. Seems kind of weird to me, but I suppose it depends what you're into.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,502

Post#103 » by Klomp » Fri Jul 7, 2023 9:16 pm

Read on Twitter
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#104 » by Klomp » Fri Jul 7, 2023 9:29 pm

Read on Twitter
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#105 » by Klomp » Fri Jul 7, 2023 11:40 pm

Read on Twitter

minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,762

Post#106 » by minimus » Sat Jul 8, 2023 8:55 am

He looks like a big who can defend in space AND rebound at high rate.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#107 » by Klomp » Sat Jul 8, 2023 1:41 pm

Read on Twitter

younggunsmn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,566

Post#108 » by younggunsmn » Sun Jul 9, 2023 4:29 am

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2023/07/second-round-pick-leonard-miller-signs-with-timberwolves.html

Miller signed to a rookie contract.
4 years, first 2 guaranteed, some guaranteed money in the 3rd, likely a player option in the 4th.
Doesn't say how much money to start, likely signed using the new 2nd round pick exception.
Could start at the vet min for a 2nd year player (2.02 million).

This would be the final piece of the salary cap puzzle and put us at 14 guaranteed contracts plus Two 2-way contracts (Garza and Clarke).

I'm betting we keep that 15th spot open, have one open spot to sign another 2-way player, hopefully a developmental PG.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#109 » by Klomp » Sun Jul 9, 2023 4:48 am

younggunsmn wrote:https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2023/07/second-round-pick-leonard-miller-signs-with-timberwolves.html

4 years, first 2 guaranteed, some guaranteed money in the 3rd, likely a player option in the 4th.
Doesn't say how much money to start, likely signed using the new 2nd round pick exception.

From another tweet regarding another rookie signing, this is the exception breakdown if you go all the way up to the veteran's minimum dollar amount (which is the max for the exception).

$2,019,706
$2,120,693
$2,221,677 (UnG)
$2,406,205 (TO / UnG)

HIGHWAY ROBBERY!

moss_is_1
RealGM
And1: 2,033

Post#110 » by moss_is_1 » Sun Jul 9, 2023 4:59 am

Great deal for us there.

What I like is miller seems to have a pretty decent floor. He's so raw in alot of areas, needs crafting in others, but he plays really really hard and that's something you can always use. Hopefully he fine tune some of his flashes of shooting, defense, playmaking. If not he should at least be a solid bench guy to grab rebounds.
wolves_89
Head Coach
And1: 4,068

Post#111 » by wolves_89 » Sun Jul 9, 2023 5:21 am

Klomp wrote:
younggunsmn wrote:https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2023/07/second-round-pick-leonard-miller-signs-with-timberwolves.html

From another tweet regarding another rookie signing, this is the exception breakdown if you go all the way up to the veteran's minimum dollar amount (which is the max for the exception).

$2,019,706
$2,120,693
$2,221,677 (UnG)
$2,406,205 (TO / UnG)

HIGHWAY ROBBERY!

Under the new CBA, does a player picked in the second round still have RFA rights after 3 seasons but not after 4?
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#112 » by Klomp » Sun Jul 9, 2023 5:22 am

wolves_89 wrote:Under the new CBA, does a player picked in the second round still have RFA rights after 3 seasons but not after 4?

That I'm not sure about....

wolves_89
Head Coach

Post#113 » by wolves_89 » Sun Jul 9, 2023 5:27 am

Klomp wrote:
wolves_89 wrote:Under the new CBA, does a player picked in the second round still have RFA rights after 3 seasons but not after 4?

It would be nice to get the extra year before RFA, especially if they are paying Miller like a late 1st round pick.
b7s4
Sophomore
And1: 36

Post#114 » by b7s4 » Sun Jul 9, 2023 7:39 pm

SO_MONEY
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,021

Post#115 » by SO_MONEY » Mon Jul 10, 2023 12:09 am

Klomp wrote:

I think it has to do with contract structure, if there is an option after the first year then they become an UFA if the fourth year is picked up but if there is two years guaranteed and no option after the first year they become a RFA. I could be wrong but I recall this being the case.
TimberKat
Analyst
And1: 1,754

Post#116 » by TimberKat » Mon Jul 10, 2023 3:53 am

wolves_89 wrote:
Klomp wrote:

It would be nice to get the extra year before RFA, especially if they are paying Miller like a late 1st round pick.

I don't think they are paying him like a late 1st. Here is what I read on canishoopus.com:
"He is likely signed using the new second round pick exception... This means that, like a first-round rookie scale contract, the money used on the deal does not have to come out of the mid-level exception or bi-annual exception pools. Where the second-round pick exception differs from the rookie scale contracts is that there is no scale involved based on draft position; all players signed by this method will make the veteran’s minimum salary in the first two years of the contract, while the third and fourth years are likely to not fully guaranteed and be at the minimum salary allowed by the NBA in a rookie deal."
Reading between the lines: I think his salary is 0 year vet minimum which is likely around 1.1M for 2023. He is likely signed for 4 years.
wolves_89
Head Coach

Post#117 » by wolves_89 » Mon Jul 10, 2023 5:44 am

TimberKat wrote:
wolves_89 wrote:
Klomp wrote:That I'm not sure about....

I don't think they are paying him like a late 1st. Here is what I read on canishoopus.com:
"He is likely signed using the new second round pick exception... This means that, like a first-round rookie scale contract, the money used on the deal does not have to come out of the mid-level exception or bi-annual exception pools. Where the second-round pick exception differs from the rookie scale contracts is that there is no scale involved based on draft position; all players signed by this method will make the veteran’s minimum salary in the first two years of the contract, while the third and fourth years are likely to not fully guaranteed and be at the minimum salary allowed by the NBA in a rookie deal."
Reading between the lines: I think his salary is 0 year vet minimum which is likely around 1.1M for 2023. He is likely signed for 4 years.

Under the new CBA a 4-year deal for a second-round pick starts at just over $2M (which is close to the rookie scale salary for the 30th pick).

Read on Twitter
urinesane
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,882

Post#118 » by urinesane » Tue Jul 11, 2023 12:09 am

My comp is a Vando-Brewer hybrid with a little bit of KG craziness.

Basically, everyone is going to love him.
karch34
Lead Assistant
And1: 765

Post#119 » by karch34 » Tue Jul 11, 2023 12:20 am

urinesane wrote:My comp is a Vando-Brewer hybrid with a little bit of KG craziness.

Basically, everyone is going to love him.

That sounds great! Truly anything close to that sounds like a trip and worth a 2nd.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#120 » by Klomp » Tue Jul 11, 2023 12:32 am

Saw a Siakam comp today that seems feasible

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves