Mayo to Grizzlies

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,917

Re: Mayo to Grizzlies 

Post#101 » by theGreatRC » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:25 am

TheFranchise21 wrote:
The Timberwolves also received shooter Mike Miller and retreads Brian Cardinal and Jason Collins from Memphis in exchange the draft rights to Mayo, forward Antoine Walker and guards Marko Jaric and Greg Buckner.

LMAO, when I first read that, I thought it read, "and retards Brian Cardinal and Jason Collins..."

lmfao, well that's basically what Mchale is.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 15,405

Post#102 » by shrink » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:25 am

I suspect part of the reason to do this trade is to cleanse attitudes.

I will miss the chance to see Adriana Lima at a game.
D1SGRUNTL3D
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,080

Post#103 » by D1SGRUNTL3D » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:25 am

Just became a Rockets fan. Feels good
Ojmayo
Banned User
And1: 30

Post#104 » by Ojmayo » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:26 am

I knew Mchale was on the move(Have'nt watched a single game since Kg left) but I was about to watch some games if Mayo were here but we got Love who will be another Mark Madsen...Speaking of Madsen how the hell is he still here?Oh Wait thats easy cause Mchale is still here, If we let one Kevin go we should let the other go so it can be fair......Need I say more? Love wont be no bird or Kg Mchale..... When will you learn he will be just as Madsen is? Please change it to the Iowa Timberwolves.....
Tirion
Assistant Coach
And1: 290

Post#105 » by Tirion » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:26 am

JoeHova wrote:
theGreatRC wrote:We have a defensive minded center in Collins who doesn't need the ball to score.

You're right, Collins solves that problem by not scoring at all. He averages 6.5 points per 36 minutes over his career and he's been below 5 per 36 over the last 3 seasons.

If you guys like Madsen, you will love Collins. He is surely the worst player in the NBA, no matter what Net fans claim about the great screens he sets.

Collins is expiring.
younggunsmn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,587

Post#106 » by younggunsmn » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:26 am

The only trade I'll be making is my love for the timberwolves for a strong desire to see the NFL season and the only star left in minny, Adrian Peterson, run wild.
kandiking
Sixth Man
And1: 1

Post#107 » by kandiking » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:27 am

attendence will actually go down next year. i'll bet $5000 on it
AmitabhaBuddha
Ballboy
And1: 23

Post#108 » by AmitabhaBuddha » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:27 am

Hoiberg is a Judas lying to the fans like that getting everyone feeling safe and comfortable and happy then suddenly when we weren't looking: BAM! Love... Couldn't tell the fans strait up hey were not 100% he is staying... eh.

If he didn't want to play in Minny why the heck will he want to play in Memphis.

Well maybe Love is the next Bill Walton...

We all know these draft day deals that McHale pulls; we always end up with a winner....

Couldn't even get Conly? Marc Gasol? We did get another cool million though right?

I guess we will have to learn to embrace Love and Miller.

But in two years if OJ Mayo is an All Star...
DG4L
Freshman
And1: 0

Post#109 » by DG4L » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:28 am

I feel sick. McHale is the worst GM the NBA has ever seen. My God. :(
deeney0
RealGM
And1: 9

Post#110 » by deeney0 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:28 am

Yeah, at least the Vikings are gonna rock this year. Good point.
dunkonu21
Lead Assistant
And1: 40

Post#111 » by dunkonu21 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:29 am

One thing I like about this trade is that Mike Miller is going to give us a Ricky Davis type player next year...Meaning that someone will be desperate and trade us a 1st for him.
collin_k41
Analyst
And1: 1

Post#112 » by collin_k41 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:29 am

Tirion wrote:
collin_k41 wrote:What we needed is a superstar to put next to Big Al. That superstar was OJ Mayo and now he's gone. You don't win with one superstar and 4 other average players. I'm pretty sure we figured that one out with the whole KG thing. Kobe and Shaq win championships...Shaq and Wade win championships..Duncan, Parker and Ginobli win championships..we just lost our chance at a superstar.

well that's fine, one problem though. Mayo is NOT a future superstar. He's athletic combo-guard with passing skills, 3-point range and good defense. Future All-Star? No doubt. Superstar? No.

Who was our best player besides KG back in the day???? Cassell?? Szcerbiak?? I can tell you that OJ Mayo will be WAY better than any of those guys. I thought we would've learned by now that putting average players around 1 superstar does NOT work..Another 10 years of mediocrity here we come..
theGreatRC
RealGM

Post#113 » by theGreatRC » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:29 am

This is just like the Roy-Foye deal.

Love will be a solid player, OJ will be the star, HAHAHAHA DAMN IM GOING TO **** MCHALE UP
shrink
RealGM
And1: 15,405

Post#114 » by shrink » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:31 am

For Trade Value, does:

Jaric (3 yrs) = Cardinal (2 yrs)?

Buckner (exp) = Collins (exp)?

Mayo + Walker = Love + Mike Miller? Maybe.

I don't think the value is too far off, but man -- I want to swing for the fences! Mike Miller does not fit here .. too old and developed. Jaric certainly doesn't fit in MEM, with his salary. MEM couldn't have thrown in Crit or Lowry in here, or a future 1st? Heck - Mayo doesn't fit either!

The key to a successful trade is to send players where they will have the most value. MIA, SEA, NYK or LAC would all be better fits for Mayo, and pay more to get him. I think McHale wanted Love so bad, he'd make a deal with whoever had him. This is a poorly constructed deal -- it should have brought in one or two teams
Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,029

Post#115 » by Dewey » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:31 am

Outside the box ... many are no that hot on Mayo.

"I just wanted to see Mayo in the Wolves uniform !!!" ... Give me a break. You Mayo lovers really would've been crying when he forced a trade a couple years down the road and we get another TB.

We added two very good "team" basketball players and dumped three junkers. Collins can play a limited role, but Cardinal will likely become good friends with Maddog.

IMO, Mayo is merely a glorified tweener (plus his share of turnovers and low assists numbers at the collegiate level). Mayo certainly has some star potential, but again, some odvious question marks exist for us to turn away and make the deal.

We know so few facts that drove the deal, and I believe this difficult decision was made for the right reasons.
big3_8_19_21
RealGM
And1: 421

Post#116 » by big3_8_19_21 » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:31 am

WOW we are going to get our asses beat by Portland for the next 15 years
Wingman
Starter
And1: 101

Post#117 » by Wingman » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:32 am

Using Hoopshype salaries(Not including Mayo and Loves contracts, Mayo's will be higher)
2008 Wolves will pay players aquired $21,500,000 memphis will pay $19,654,759
2009 Wolves pay $16,500,000 Memphis will pay $8,100,000
2010 Wolves pay $0 Memphis pays $7,625,000

$38,000,000 $35,379,759

Factoring in the contractual differences between Mayo and love it comes out even.
I remeber hearing that Buck can be bought out for 1 million after this season, so I used that instead of his Hoopshype contract. If somebody has info on this or if I am wrong please tell me. If Bucks Listed Hoopshype contract is correct, this deal is signifigantly better imo.
theGreatRC
RealGM

Post#118 » by theGreatRC » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:32 am

We are going to trade Mike Miller to the Bobcats for Okafor!

Nah JP, but this is still BS
B Calrissian
Head Coach
And1: 17

Post#119 » by B Calrissian » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:32 am

deeney0 wrote:Yeah, this is bad news for Craig Smith. I bet he's not kept. Telfair and Gomes are back for sure.

Do you think that Love and Gomes will play well together? I think the Wolves should resign Telfair and trade McCants if he is not going to be starting. McCants+Boston 1st for an upgrade at the wing to play with Brewer and Miller. The Wolves could take on more than they send out so that would make the deal more appealing.
Winter Wonder
Rookie
And1: 0

Post#120 » by Winter Wonder » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:32 am

OK, this is a travesty. I fully expected that Mayo would be traded. We made it through the entire draft and nothing happened so I thought maybe we would be content. I disliked passing on DeAndre Jordan at #34 (was ok with Pekovic at #31). HAted the Chalmers pick regardless of value. Dislike we strenghten Miami (and weaken our pick from them) though am nuetral on 2 future seconds (unlikely they are as good as the ones we had this year).

Then the trade..... A late night call from a friend to let me know this.... just beyond bad.

#3 >>>>>>>>>> #5 (goes without explaination)
Jaric << Miller (year shorter and a better player with higher trade value, future deal?)
Walker <<< Collins (maybe semi useful, def center expiring vs absolutley non useful expiring)
Buckner >>>>> Cardinal (semi useful def wing expiring vs useless two year deal 15 slot player)

Sorry, we lose by alot on this deal. We did not get near the value we should have unless we turn Miller into something better.

We are going to be SHREDDED on D. Sorry, Miller can't defend. Love will struggle to defend 4's let alone 5's. Jefferson will struggle with 5's. Offensively, Love can play the high post, but we REALLY needed a bigger body. Love can pass all day long, but it will be from under our basket as the other team continues to score on us time and time again. I truly hope he proves me wrong, but I knew Love would ruin the draft for me.

I can understand trading Mayo, but get value, we did not......

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves