ImageImageImage

Are the Wolves legitimate title contenders

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

_AIJ_
RealGM
And1: 4,272

Re: Are the Wolves legitimate title contenders 

Post#141 » by _AIJ_ » Mon Apr 1, 2024 12:48 pm

I believe in this team. I dont even know how to react if we win it all.
LETS GO WOLVES!!! 8-)
gandlogo
Junior
And1: 375

Post#142 » by gandlogo » Mon Apr 1, 2024 2:01 pm

Klomp wrote:If there are doubters, I would ask this......what don't we have that will prevent us from being title contenders?

Mostly what they lack between their ears and their legs.

Ant is still immature (shocking for a 22-year-old)
KAT is emotionally and mentally incredibly weak
Rudy is also a mental midget
McDaniels is emotionally volatile and way too inconsistent on offense
Naz - this is just a gut feeling, but it seems like he's short on clutch shots, so I'm worried he's not ready for prime time
Finch - not convinced

Team lacks enough offense/shooting for when the game is tight (fourth quarter scoring droughts)
Perimeter defense is not good when KAT and Rudy are in the game together, so some of that goes back to Finch too
They lack a stone-cold killer. Ant may shock the world and become that this year in the playoffs, but he's not that yet

Edit: I hope that I am wrong on all accounts.
TimberKat
Analyst
And1: 1,757

Post#143 » by TimberKat » Mon Apr 1, 2024 4:59 pm

gandlogo wrote:
Klomp wrote:If there are doubters, I would ask this......what don't we have that will prevent us from being title contenders?

Naz - this is just a gut feeling, but it seems like he's short on clutch shots, so I'm worried he's not ready for prime time
Finch - not convinced

Team lacks enough offense/shooting for when the game is tight (fourth quarter scoring droughts)
Perimeter defense is not good when KAT and Rudy are in the game together, so some of that goes back to Finch too
They lack a stone-cold killer. Ant may shock the world and become that this year in the playoffs, but he's not that yet

All good points and that shows in how poor we play in OT and 4qtr this year ( as compare to the 1st 3 qtr, and how OKC been winning close games all year). I get the perspective of Gobert 's 'mental short coming' but do feel he is a little more matured than the others. It's still valid that our stars are like the cast of Winnie the Pooh with owners like Christopher Robins.
Note30
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,663

Post#144 » by Note30 » Mon Apr 1, 2024 8:17 pm

TimberKat wrote:
gandlogo wrote:

Finch - not convinced

I get the perspective of Gobert 's 'mental short coming' but do feel he is a little more matured than the others.

Didn't he just threaten to beat up Caruso because he got boxed the **** out?
TimberKat
Analyst

Post#145 » by TimberKat » Mon Apr 1, 2024 11:11 pm

Note30 wrote:
TimberKat wrote:
gandlogo wrote:

Finch - not convinced

I get the perspective of Gobert 's 'mental short coming' but do feel he is a little more matured than the others.

Did he? Here what I read https://athlonsports.com/nba/minnesota-timberwolves/all-timberwolves/news/rudy-gobert-vows-to-hold-alex-caruso-accountable-if-nba-doesnt
shrink
RealGM
And1: 15,326

Post#146 » by shrink » Mon Apr 1, 2024 11:52 pm

I missed the Caruso play. Did it look dirty? It sounds unlikely that a guy who wants to rebound is so low that he backs into knees.

I was pretty frustrated with Chris Paul on the floor, changing directions hard to roll into Mike Conley. Was this worse than that?
MN7725
Veteran
And1: 1,090

Post#147 » by MN7725 » Tue Apr 2, 2024 1:21 am

gandlogo wrote:

Finch - not convinced

I think the biggest issue with Gobert would be FTs, which could be put under "mental"
I'm just not sure he can be on the court, at least on offense, in a playoff clutch situation, and he has a lot of pride so being subbed in (for defense) and out could be hard to take
Note30
Lead Assistant

Post#148 » by Note30 » Tue Apr 2, 2024 1:45 am

TimberKat wrote:
Note30 wrote:
TimberKat wrote: I get the perspective of Gobert 's 'mental short coming' but do feel he is a little more matured than the others.

Did he? Here what I read https://athlonsports.com/nba/minnesota-timberwolves/all-timberwolves/news/rudy-gobert-vows-to-hold-alex-caruso-accountable-if-nba-doesnt

That definitely was not intentional. Boxing out a bigger guy always means you have to get low and make contact with your body. It wasn't dirty, it wasn't illegal, it was a plain box out they teach you in middle school, find a body get low and put your butt out. Every coach will just yell at you, find a body, find a body. I'm sure Caruso saw Gobert saw him slowly making his way over, wanted to establish position. He didn't do anything wrong. It's plain and simple. Rudy was in a bad spot because he got lazy. Then he got mad when Caruso out hustled him.
Note30
Lead Assistant

Post#149 » by Note30 » Tue Apr 2, 2024 1:46 am

shrink wrote:I missed the Caruso play. Did it look dirty? It sounds unlikely that a guy who wants to rebound is so low that he backs into knees.

I was pretty frustrated with Chris Paul on the floor, changing directions hard to roll into Mike Conley. Was this worse than that?

Look at it, it's in the article above, he just got to his spot faster than Gobert and intended to box him out. Gobert could have easily sealed him if hadn't slowly plondered over.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,517

Post#150 » by Klomp » Tue Apr 2, 2024 2:01 am

Note30 wrote:
TimberKat wrote:
Note30 wrote:

That definitely was not intentional. Boxing out a bigger guy always means you have to get low and make contact with your body. It wasn't dirty, it wasn't illegal, it was a plain box out they teach you in middle school, find a body get low and put your butt out. Every coach will just yell at you, find a body, find a body. I'm sure Caruso saw Gobert saw him slowly making his way over, wanted to establish position. He didn't do anything wrong. It's plain and simple. Rudy was in a bad spot because he got lazy. Then he got mad when Caruso out hustled him.

I'll trust JimPete, the guy who played 8 seasons in the NBA. He said Gobert had a right to be upset.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
TimberKat
Analyst

Post#151 » by TimberKat » Tue Apr 2, 2024 2:56 pm

Klomp wrote:
Note30 wrote:

I'll trust JimPete, the guy who played 8 seasons in the NBA. He said Gobert had a right to be upset.

Yes, it was an aggressive play similar to Paul on Conley. It's not intentional like Draymond kicking Williams in the Groin. It is more like I am going to block you out and doesn't matter which body part I hit to get it done.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 5,039

Post#152 » by KGdaBom » Tue Apr 2, 2024 10:47 pm

shrink wrote:I missed the Caruso play. Did it look dirty? It sounds unlikely that a guy who wants to rebound is so low that he backs into knees.

Caruso threw his butt with all the force he possibly could have into Rudy's knees. It was vicious, violent and dirty as hell.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,517

Post#153 » by Klomp » Tue Apr 2, 2024 11:48 pm

FrenchMinnyFan wrote:

+ Best defense of the NBA, good PG combo, Rudy DPOY, KAT Experience, ANT big improvment this year.

- Lack of experiences, lack of shooting, too many TO, KAT in PO, Ant still missing exp at clutch time...

Let's see. I hope for a WCF for this year but it will be tough.

A lot of people seem to point to the lack of playoff experience as a group for us.

What's Minnesota's playoff experience as a group?
-Three straight postseason appearances. Individually, Gobert, Conley and Anderson have all made deep playoff runs on other teams.
What's Oklahoma City's playoff experience as a group?
-Literally none. Shai and Dort are the only two with playoff experience in OKC, and that was four years ago.
What's LA Clippers' playoff experience as a group?
-No experience with Harden, first round exit is ceiling of two previous seasons.
What's Dallas' playoff experience as a group?
-Have not made the playoffs with Luka and Kyrie.
What's New Orleans' playoff experience as a group?
-Zion Williamson has not played in a single playoff game.

That's the rest of your top six teams in the West not named the defending NBA champs. So basically, the conclusion is that either Denver is running through the West or one of the play-ins is going all the way, is what people are forecasting.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#154 » by KGdaBom » Mon May 20, 2024 6:55 am

Anybody still think we're not legit contenders? Is Making the WCF after defeating Denver enough to remove that doubt?
frankenwolf
Sophomore
And1: 216

Post#155 » by frankenwolf » Tue May 21, 2024 7:29 pm

KGdaBom wrote:Anybody still think we're not legit contenders? Is Making the WCF after defeating Denver enough to remove that doubt?

I have always believed!
Minnesota Timberwolves- 2024 NBA Champions :D :D
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#156 » by KGdaBom » Tue May 21, 2024 7:32 pm

frankenwolf wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:Anybody still think we're not legit contenders? Is Making the WCF after defeating Denver enough to remove that doubt?

I have always believed!

You sure have.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#157 » by KGdaBom » Tue May 21, 2024 7:56 pm

Calinks wrote:For me right now there are only a handful of teams I can feel confident in as far as winning the title. In order.

1. Denver (Last year they were just far and away above everyone else at execution)
2. Boston (They look incredible this year, little to no weaknesses)
3. Clippers (I didn't believe in them before but they have proven to be really good and seem strong all over)

Those are really the only three I feel very confident about. After them, I would say these other teams have a shot.

4. Bucks (Too much top end talent and they have been there before)

5. 76ers (I don't have too much faith but they have been dominant this year, consistently they destroy lesser competition, Embiid is next level right now)

I think I slide the Wolves in next at 6. On paper and with how they have played this season when they are at their best, I would say they are good enough to slot in right behind Boston at number 3. That said, we have too much negative history, too little experience, and too many warts I deem catastrophically detrimental to winning a championship.

I just can't see us turning around our offense enough, see Towns not make a ton of costly mistakes (fall to the floor, rack up fouls, stray voltage), Ant not turn the ball over and get tunnel vision in some big time moments, or some teams beating us with some hot shooting and speed that exploits our bigs for enough games to win a series.

I just think we have too many holes right now to good enough to win it all. I could see it happening in a season or two if the team could stay together and continue to grow and improve but I don't think they can iron all of that out in the little time we have.

Calinks I wanted to bring this post back to your attention. Of the 5 teams you had as contenders above us only Boston is left.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#158 » by KGdaBom » Tue May 21, 2024 7:57 pm

I'm rereading this entire thread and having a blast doing it. It's a lot of fun seeing what people were thinking in January and how that thinking has evolved to this date in late May.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#159 » by KGdaBom » Tue May 21, 2024 7:58 pm

gandlogo wrote:Not enough offense. Better chance of a first-round exit than making the finals.

What are you thinking now? :D
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#160 » by KGdaBom » Tue May 21, 2024 8:02 pm

FrenchMinnyFan wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
FrenchMinnyFan wrote:I'm not sure we are a top 4 team as there is many good teams right now but the most important thing for me is that most of the outcome depends on us. When we are focus ( it means when KAT and ANT and JMD are), we avoid TO, bad shoot, stupid fouls. As our defense is really the best one, we can beat anybody. And we got Mike which is one of the better clutch man in the NBA,
The point is sometimes we loose our focus and it's very costly specially on 4th quarter. ANT want to be the hero, KAT loose focus and complain devery decision and we become a average team.
Time will tell but i'm optimistic this team can stay focus during PO times and give great battles. After if the planet aligned....

That was all a bit convoluted and not a committed statement, but I'm putting you in the yes column.

My answer was not crystal clear. My answer is no, this team is not mature enough to win 16 games and remain focus all PO.

Saying we are contenders is not saying we will win the title. It's saying we have a good enough team that if things go right we could win the title.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves