Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,637

Re: **The Official Karl-Anthony Towns Thread: Part Two** 

Post#21 » by Klomp » Thu Jun 9, 2022 12:12 am

Read on Twitter
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
wolves_89
Head Coach
And1: 4,071

Post#22 » by wolves_89 » Thu Jun 9, 2022 1:24 am

Read on Twitter

I'd love to see the Wolves get a center that would allow KAT to play PF for 15 minutes a night. That could go a long ways towards fixing the PF problem with the Wolves roster.
theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,917

Post#23 » by theGreatRC » Thu Jun 9, 2022 2:06 am

wolves_89 wrote:
Read on Twitter

I'd love to see the Wolves get a center that would allow KAT to play PF for 15 minutes a night. That could go a long ways towards fixing the PF problem with the Wolves roster.

If they do this, it's something that's been long overdue..KAT has the ability to guard faster players, we just keep him at the 5 because he's our tallest guy I guess? He's shown he's capable of guarding outside the paint
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,112

Post#24 » by shangrila » Thu Jun 9, 2022 2:18 am

Klomp wrote:
Read on Twitter

Wtf is he even talking about here?
jscott
Veteran
And1: 957

Post#25 » by jscott » Thu Jun 9, 2022 2:03 pm

shangrila wrote:
Klomp wrote:
Read on Twitter

He is saying that since Gobert is going to fetch value for the Jazz in a trade, it proves that KAT (who is younger and arguably better) is worth giving the Super Max contract too.
m2002brian
Analyst
And1: 1,159

Post#26 » by m2002brian » Thu Jun 9, 2022 5:33 pm

jscott wrote:
shangrila wrote:
Klomp wrote:
Read on Twitter

He is saying that since Gobert is going to fetch value for the Jazz in a trade, it proves that KAT (who is younger and arguably better) is worth giving the Super Max contract too.

In that same breath though, it’s says KAT could fetch even more value. Boom!
BLUEGREENRED
Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,029

Post#27 » by Dewey » Thu Jun 9, 2022 5:52 pm

m2002brian wrote:
jscott wrote:
shangrila wrote:Wtf is he even talking about here?

In that same breath though, it’s says KAT could fetch even more value. Boom!

Bam!!
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
shangrila
RealGM

Post#28 » by shangrila » Thu Jun 9, 2022 11:26 pm

jscott wrote:
shangrila wrote:
Klomp wrote:
Read on Twitter

Cool...except it doesn't, for a couple of reasons;

1. There's no guarantee Gobert gets a "noticeably positive" (whatever the hell that even means) return. The only rumours I've heard is one involving Anunoby, which got shot down, and to the Bulls for Vucevic/Williams, which I guess is ok?

2. Nobody is worth the supermax, outside of guys like Lebron and Curry. Paying anyone upwards of a third to a half of the cap is not a good idea in a capped league unless they're good enough to lead you to a championship. Towns is not that guy.

3. Being able to trade one player does not in any way, shape or form mean another player is suddenly worth being overpaid. That's stupid.
Biff Cooper
Sixth Man
And1: 241

Post#29 » by Biff Cooper » Thu Jun 9, 2022 11:59 pm

shangrila wrote:2. Nobody is worth the supermax, outside of guys like Lebron and Curry. Paying anyone upwards of a third to a half of the cap is not a good idea in a capped league unless they're good enough to lead you to a championship. Towns is not that guy.

It seems like there are maybe 10 guys or so, rather than 2. I probably agree that KAT probably isn't worth a max deal, but wouldn't be surprised if he still ends up getting one. I'm hoping he'll be willing to sign a high $ deal that isn't tied to the max percentage of the salary cap.
shangrila
RealGM

Post#30 » by shangrila » Fri Jun 10, 2022 12:07 am

Biff Cooper wrote:
shangrila wrote:2. Nobody is worth the supermax, outside of guys like Lebron and Curry. Paying anyone upwards of a third to a half of the cap is not a good idea in a capped league unless they're good enough to lead you to a championship. Towns is not that guy.

It seems like there are maybe 10 guys or so, rather than 2. I probably agree that KAT probably isn't worth a max deal, but wouldn't be surprised if he still ends up getting one. I'm hoping he'll be willing to sign a high $ deal that isn't tied to the max percentage of the salary cap.

Well, yeah, I didn't mean exactly and only those 2 guys. Obviously Giannis, Jokic, a healthy Kawhi, guys like that.

The issue is when you hand these deals to the John Walls and Russell Westbrooks and (soon) Karl-Anthony Towns of the world.
WolfAddict
Rookie
And1: 1,595

Post#31 » by WolfAddict » Fri Jun 10, 2022 3:20 am

I dunno... maybe the max deal fires KAT up more..?

I know more often than not, it goes the other way when you max a player, but stranger things have happened.
jscott
Veteran
And1: 957

Post#32 » by jscott » Fri Jun 10, 2022 3:28 am

WolfAddict wrote:I dunno... maybe the max deal fires KAT up more..?

I know more often than not, it goes the other way when you max a player, but stranger things have happened.

You think KAT needs to play with more energy?!
WolfAddict
Rookie

Post#33 » by WolfAddict » Fri Jun 10, 2022 3:31 am

jscott wrote:

Sorry, fired up was probably the wrong phrase to use... I'll rephrase - Maybe the max may mature KAT a bit?
shangrila
RealGM

Post#34 » by shangrila » Fri Jun 10, 2022 3:33 am

WolfAddict wrote:
jscott wrote:

Sorry, fired up was probably the wrong phrase to use... I'll rephrase - Maybe the max may mature KAT a bit?

Or, since the negative actions have led him to this success, it reaffirms that he should continue to operate as he has been.
WolfAddict
Rookie

Post#35 » by WolfAddict » Fri Jun 10, 2022 3:36 am

shangrila wrote:
WolfAddict wrote:
jscott wrote:You think KAT needs to play with more energy?!

Or, since the negative actions have led him to this success, it reaffirms that he should continue to operate as he has been.

Yeah I see that as a possible outcome too - I guess I'm trying to see it from a glass half full point of view. Rose coloured glasses and all that :wink:
shangrila
RealGM

Post#36 » by shangrila » Fri Jun 10, 2022 3:41 am

WolfAddict wrote:
shangrila wrote:
WolfAddict wrote:Sorry, fired up was probably the wrong phrase to use... I'll rephrase - Maybe the max may mature KAT a bit?

Yeah I see that as a possible outcome too - I guess I'm trying to see it from a glass half full point of view. Rose coloured glasses and all that :wink:

Can't blame you and honestly wish I had the optimism. Just been burnt too often with that stuff over my life to have any hope of it, especially when you're dealing with pro athletes who require a certain level of narcissism to get where they are.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#37 » by Klomp » Fri Jun 10, 2022 5:30 pm

Towns is like the current era center version of what Chris Webber is to PFs in the early 2000s. Not in the tier of Jokic and Embiid (for Webber, not Dirk/KG/TD) but a franchise stabilizer for a small-market team that can develop to be a yearly contender with the right pieces.

Trading Webber was the beginning of the end for Sacramento. They were 34-20 at the time of the trade, finishing 16-12. The next year 2005-06 they went 44-38 without Webber, the last time Sacramento finished above .500.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

shrink
RealGM
And1: 15,403

Post#38 » by shrink » Fri Jun 10, 2022 5:34 pm

Duncan & Hollinger talked about the KAT extension in their latest podcast. Overall, both were nervous giving a supermax to a player they rank 11-15, but both decided it was the right call, because

1. Two of the best characteristics for maintaining production with age is size and shooting ability.

2. Non-free agent destinations need to lock up their talent.

3. Even if Towns eventually wants out, he should maintain plenty of trade value.

4. The new TV deal will significantly raise the cap, so max deals signed in a few years will cost a great deal more. This one will be limited to 8% raises on the initial number, but even with cap smoothing, the numbers will jump higher than 9%

They also added that DLo isn’t a max player, but they might offer him a deal starting at $20. They might pass on that though, and an extension to Beasley, because even if they could get a good number, they might want the optionality of signing a big free agent before Ant and KAT’s deals kick in, as we’ve talked about.
life_saver
General Manager
And1: 6,154

Post#39 » by life_saver » Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:49 pm

I get the idea behind why NBA introduced Super Max and there are few cases where it did help out small market teams like Bucks-Giannis but there also have been lot of cases where the teams ended up being crippled due to the super max contract. One change I wish to see happen is that the additional 8% raise not being counted towards the cap.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#40 » by Klomp » Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:19 pm

life_saver wrote:I get the idea behind why NBA introduced Super Max and there are few cases where it did help out small market teams like Bucks-Giannis but there also have been lot of cases where the teams ended up being crippled due to the super max contract. One change I wish to see happen is that the additional 8% raise not being counted towards the cap.

I don't believe it's a "market" issue, but rather a "willingness to spend" issue. Most of these small markets haven't shown a willingness to spend like their larger counterparts.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves