Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,808

Re: The Official Rudy Gobert Thread 

Post#21 » by winforlose » Sun Jul 3, 2022 3:47 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
Battletrigger wrote:
Wolves21 wrote:We got arguably one if not the best defense big in NBA history who just happens to be in his prime.I really think if this pair glees and is healthy we have a legit shot at a title.On paper this is the best Wolves team we've had,even better then KG/Cassell/Spreewell.

We don't have a player like KG, so game changer and pivotal to other teams. You can easily say that Ant and KAT are better than Cassell and Sprewell but not near KG level.

And I have my doubts about how we are going to play en the PO, Gobert has been exposed in PO before.

I call BS on GoBear being exposed ever. The only thing he's been exposed as being is a great player. However, I consider 2004 to be our most talented team ever because of KG and I don't even count Spreewell as part of a big three. That team had a big 2 Of KG and Cassell.

The relevant question that people don’t want to ask or answer is whether our other starting 4 is better than Utah’s starting 4 without Gobert. This question can be asked about offense, defense, fit, ect… if the answer is no you do the following: take a deep breath, thank god you have Chris Finch, scheme a way to make the whole greater than the sum of its parts. If the answer is yes you do the following: crack a big smile, thank god you have Chris Finch, scheme a way to make the whole greater than the sum of its parts, and enjoy the ride.
ForeverRDjazz
Starter
And1: 549

Post#22 » by ForeverRDjazz » Sun Jul 3, 2022 6:20 pm

moss_is_1 wrote:
Krapinsky wrote:Some things stood out re Gobert. He believes he is too 5 most impactful player in the league and a team with Rudy has a 50 win floor.

What a homer, Jazz only won 49 games last year.

Lol Only because Quin rested Rudy a few games last year. You guy will win 50 plus next year as long as you stay healthy.
urinesane
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,882

Post#23 » by urinesane » Sun Jul 3, 2022 6:24 pm

ForeverRDjazz wrote:
moss_is_1 wrote:
Krapinsky wrote:Some things stood out re Gobert. He believes he is too 5 most impactful player in the league and a team with Rudy has a 50 win floor.

What a homer, Jazz only won 49 games last year.

Lol Only because Quin rested Rudy a few games last year. You guy will win 50 plus next year as long as you stay healthy.

Green = sarcasm (sorry if you didn't know the code).
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 5,030

Post#24 » by KGdaBom » Sun Jul 3, 2022 8:07 pm

urinesane wrote:
ForeverRDjazz wrote:
moss_is_1 wrote:What a homer, Jazz only won 49 games last year.

Green = sarcasm (sorry if you didn't know the code).

Isn't it nice to go into a season knowing we will win 50 games MINIMUM. I can see 60.
cmoss84
Junior
And1: 107

Post#25 » by cmoss84 » Sun Jul 3, 2022 10:30 pm

You know what they say...Go big or Go...bert
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#26 » by KGdaBom » Sun Jul 3, 2022 10:43 pm

cmoss84 wrote:You know what they say...Go big and Go...bert

that made me LOL for real, but I had to fix it for you. Going big and Go bert is the same thing.
TwolvesFanRome
Bench Warmer
And1: 640

Post#27 » by TwolvesFanRome » Sun Jul 3, 2022 10:45 pm

I can't wait to see Gobert playing in our team and how the team looks with him!

Ps: I knew the green is sarcasm but I'd like to know the origin of this curious thing from more experienced users.
"...I want to compliment him, we all expected that he would take up the game, we have prepared the plan race on him, we have doubled. And, as usual, he did what he wanted..."

Zelimir Obradovic, talking about Dejan Bodiroga
Neeva
Head Coach
And1: 2,241

Post#28 » by Neeva » Sun Jul 3, 2022 11:09 pm

I am already obsessed with Rudy. I think Minneapolis is going to fall in love with him and he will like being in a bigger market than Utah. I say he will retire here.
Irishniner
Ballboy
And1: 27

Post#29 » by Irishniner » Sun Jul 3, 2022 11:10 pm

As someone who has followed the team from Ireland since the Love, Pek, Rubio wolves, it's great to see a true great defensive big on the team.

Structurally, a team without a great C on defense is either going to struggle to win much or have to score a ton to be successful or have amazing defenders around the big so very little help defense is needed at the rim. I liked Pek as a character, but he was an awful fit on the team next to Love. Kat at 5 was never satisfactory on defense and limited our defensive ranking.

Aside from KG, this team hasn't had a centre or bigman with this level of defensive impact in its history.

Any talk of remortgaging the future is nonsense. The reason it could be talked of that way is in terms of flexibility or adding talent. We already have an all NBA bigman locked up for years and years in Towns, 3x DPOY on a long contract, a 20 year old SG who JUST missed being an allstar on his rookie deal, a super promising SF/PF defensive role player in McDaniels and a 20 point a game PG who excels in PnR who we can see if we want to keep or free up some space. We also drafted two players this year as well. We are very much sorted for talent. We may need to make moves for role players but this is the correct course to take.

We should be a good team for the next three or four years based purely on who's locked in contract wise. Gobert's defense should age pretty gracefully aswell which is a bonus.

Off topic: What I find strange is all the talk of a KD trade requiring a massive amount of return based on this trade. He'll be 34 when the season starts and has played 90 games in the last 3 years and has sulked off of 3 teams now. It has a massive chance of blowing up in his new teams face.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#30 » by KGdaBom » Sun Jul 3, 2022 11:32 pm

Irishniner wrote:As someone who has followed the team from Ireland since the Love, Pek, Rubio wolves, it's great to see a true great defensive big on the team.

Structurally, a team without a great C on defense is either going to struggle to win much or have to score a ton to be successful or have amazing defenders around the big so very little help defense is needed at the rim. I liked Pek as a character, but he was an awful fit on the team next to Love. Kat at 5 was never satisfactory on defense and limited our defensive ranking.

Aside from KG, this team hasn't had a centre or bigman with this level of defensive impact in its history.

Any talk of remortgaging the future is nonsense. The reason it could be talked of that way is in terms of flexibility or adding talent. We already have an all NBA bigman locked up for years and years in Towns, 3x DPOY on a long contract, a 20 year old SG who JUST missed being an allstar on his rookie deal, a super promising SF/PF defensive role player in McDaniels and a 20 point a game PG who excels in PnR who we can see if we want to keep or free up some space. We also drafted two players this year as well. We are very much sorted for talent. We may need to make moves for role players but this is the correct course to take.

We should be a good team for the next three or four years based purely on who's locked in contract wise. Gobert's defense should age pretty gracefully aswell which is a bonus.

Off topic: What I find strange is all the talk of a KD trade requiring a massive amount of return based on this trade. He'll be 34 when the season starts and has played 90 games in the last 3 years and has sulked off of 3 teams now. It has a massive chance of blowing up in his new teams face.

About Durant I'm with you. I hear comments like what we paid for GoBear should get us Durant. I'd rather have GoBear.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,841

Post#31 » by Calinks » Sun Jul 3, 2022 11:46 pm

You pair one of the greatest defensive big men of all time with one of the greatest shooting big men of all time and yea, you may be able to make magic happen.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
shangrila
RealGM
And1: 6,094

Post#32 » by shangrila » Mon Jul 4, 2022 1:12 am

Calinks wrote:You pair one of the greatest defensive big men of all time with one of the greatest shooting big men of all time and yea, you may be able to make magic happen.

But...d-draft picks!
King Malta
Starter
And1: 1,547

Post#33 » by King Malta » Mon Jul 4, 2022 2:06 am

Irishniner wrote:As someone who has followed the team from Ireland since the Love, Pek, Rubio wolves, it's great to see a true great defensive big on the team.

This is a really good take on the situation to be honest.

When I initially woke up (in Australia) and saw the trade I was floored by the outgoings, and had to re-read the graphic a couple of times to make sure I'd correctly understood exactly what was happening. Like many on here, my initial fears were that we were 'mortgaging' the future in this move, but as time went on (and as I began to actually wake up, I'm a terrible morning person) I started to really like the move.

To avoid any suggestions of homerism, clearly it's a huge outlay of picks from us, and Utah should be very pleased with the return that Ainge has brought back for Gobert IMO, but it's a fantastic result for the Wolves to bring in a player as impactful as Gobert whilst retaining not only our current 'big 3', but to also hold onto what the team sees as it's most valuable young talent in McDaniels.

As you say, the future picks become substantially less of a concern when you take into account who we've actually managed to hold onto, and what the core talent of the team looks like now. This is easily the best starting 5 in the history of the franchise, and only one of them is over the age of 26 in Gobert.

My overriding emotion now is just sheer excitement. For basically the first time since 2004, we've got a team that you'd think has a pretty decent shot of getting to the WCF, and if Ant's trajectory continues and he eventually becomes the best player on this team and an MVP level talent, a team with a pretty decent shot of contending for a chip.
King Malta
Starter
And1: 1,547

Post#34 » by King Malta » Mon Jul 4, 2022 2:31 am

Worth noting as well, is that all the feedback coming out of Utah is that as well as being the player we all know he is on the court, Rudy is a fantastic human who's made a really lasting impact on that team.

Read on Twitter
urinesane
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,882

Post#35 » by urinesane » Mon Jul 4, 2022 2:42 am

My friend texted me "Gobert"? When it happened, and I quickly looked it up thinking in my head "Not Jayden!".

I'll miss Pat Bev and Vando, but this moves the Wolves into a higher tier than running it back would have.
winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,808

Post#36 » by winforlose » Mon Jul 4, 2022 3:01 am

urinesane wrote:My friend texted me "Gobert"? When it happened, and I quickly looked it up thinking in my head "Not Jayden!".

I'll miss Pat Bev and Vando, but this moves the Wolves into a higher tier than running it back would have.

I think every Wolves fan was thrilled MCD was not on the list. I just think we all wanted the outgoing to fit on the ESPN big board. They literally couldn’t fit it all in after the 25 pick.
Murphs56
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,247

Post#37 » by Murphs56 » Mon Jul 4, 2022 6:53 am

winforlose wrote:
urinesane wrote:My friend texted me "Gobert"? When it happened, and I quickly looked it up thinking in my head "Not Jayden!".

I think every Wolves fan was thrilled MCD was not on the list. I just think we all wanted the outgoing to fit on the ESPN big board. They literally couldn’t fit it all in after the 25 pick.

First things I thought "McDaniels has to be in it" and "What are the protections on the picks" :lol:
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#38 » by KGdaBom » Mon Jul 4, 2022 12:07 pm

Murphs56 wrote:
winforlose wrote:

First things I thought "McDaniels has to be in it" and "What are the protections on the picks" :lol:

No and No :lol:
TwolvesFanRome
Bench Warmer
And1: 640

Post#39 » by TwolvesFanRome » Mon Jul 4, 2022 10:22 pm

Read on Twitter

:nod:
"...I want to compliment him, we all expected that he would take up the game, we have prepared the plan race on him, we have doubled. And, as usual, he did what he wanted..."

Zelimir Obradovic, talking about Dejan Bodiroga
PeeDee
Sixth Man
And1: 78

Post#40 » by PeeDee » Mon Jul 4, 2022 10:36 pm

People keep mentioning how Gobert may unlock the games of our current players. Will our current players unlock things in Gobert we haven't really seen?

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves