ImageImageImage

The Official Chris Finch Thread

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

shrink
RealGM
And1: 15,317

Re: The "Fire Chris Finch" Thread 

Post#21 » by shrink » Fri Dec 16, 2022 3:57 pm

m2002brian wrote:His plays out of timeouts is elite? Then why the **** doesn’t he take more timeouts?

…..

So many LITTLE things that aren’t emphasized.

It’s ALWAYS the little things. As Rudy said “the things people won’t see when they’re watching on their tv”.

Coaching is about the details. The small, fine, details.
Like boxing out.

I think it’s hard to determine whether it’s the player or coach at fault when we see players fail to do little things. I find it hard to believe that Finch doesn’t talk to the players about boxing out. In fact, I imagine that the players coaches from college, from high school, from junior high, from traveling teams, … every coach they’ve had, have instructed the players on boxing out. I think as fans, we often try to attach blame elsewhere, usually the coach or the GM, but to me, if players aren’t doing the fundamentals, making dumb mistakes, and aren’t playing hard, I first blame these players. They are paid to be professionals.

The time out question is different to me. I’ve coached youth sports a bit when my kids were young, and occasionally parents would come up after the game to complain that I should have called more time outs, and maybe we would have won the game if I did. And they may be right. But with young players, I’m trying to get them the opportunity to find it in themselves to deal with adversity. I want them to develop resilience, and I want to see who steps up to lead. When I see Finch slow to call a time out after an opponent’s 6-0 run, it makes me wonder if he is trying to make a longterm investment in his very young team. This has always been a weak area for Towns, but I am hoping Ant learns to fight through trouble and lead the rest of the team too.
m2002brian
Analyst
And1: 1,155

Post#22 » by m2002brian » Sat Dec 17, 2022 2:27 am

shrink wrote:
m2002brian wrote:His plays out of timeouts is elite? Then why the **** doesn’t he take more timeouts?

…..

So many LITTLE things that aren’t emphasized.

It’s ALWAYS the little things. As Rudy said “the things people won’t see when they’re watching on their tv”.

Coaching is about the details. The small, fine, details.
Like boxing out.

I think it’s hard to determine whether it’s the player or coach at fault when we see players fail to do little things. I find it hard to believe that Finch doesn’t talk to the players about boxing out. In fact, I imagine that the players coaches from college, from high school, from junior high, from traveling teams, … every coach they’ve had, have instructed the players on boxing out. I think as fans, we often try to attach blame elsewhere, usually the coach or the GM, but to me, if players aren’t doing the fundamentals, making dumb mistakes, and aren’t playing hard, I first blame these players. They are paid to be professionals.

The time out question is different to me. I’ve coached youth sports a bit when my kids were young, and occasionally parents would come up after the game to complain that I should have called more time outs, and maybe we would have won the game if I did. And they may be right. But with young players, I’m trying to get them the opportunity to find it in themselves to deal with adversity. I want them to develop resilience, and I want to see who steps up to lead. When I see Finch slow to call a time out after an opponent’s 6-0 run, it makes me wonder if he is trying to make a longterm investment in his very young team. This has always been a weak area for Towns, but I am hoping Ant learns to fight through trouble and lead the rest of the team too.

I appreciate you taking the time to explain some of the nuance of coaching. Helped me see things in another light. Thank you.
BLUEGREENRED
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,762

The "Fire Chris Finch" Thread 

Post#23 » by minimus » Sat Dec 17, 2022 8:13 am

shrink wrote:The time out question is different to me. I’ve coached youth sports a bit when my kids were young, and occasionally parents would come up after the game to complain that I should have called more time outs, and maybe we would have won the game if I did. And they may be right. But with young players, I’m trying to get them the opportunity to find it in themselves to deal with adversity. I want them to develop resilience, and I want to see who steps up to lead. When I see Finch slow to call a time out after an opponent’s 6-0 run, it makes me wonder if he is trying to make a longterm investment in his very young team. This has always been a weak area for Towns, but I am hoping Ant learns to fight through trouble and lead the rest of the team too.

Agree. Perfect description of coaching job challenge. It is like micromanaging in IT. As manager of the group you should always balance between development of players, giving them his own solution, motivating and fire alarm. Sometimes you shouldn't give solution right after problem arises. As we say "there is no answer for question that doesn't exist" Moreover you need to protect whole group from external noise allowing them to be focused on solution.

I have read a few times that Finch wants to develop our young players to "play through". And as I can see from his reactions he sees when our team collapses, but he wants how players responds first. It is very different from Thibs style who was barking EVERY play from sidelines. I remember fans being upset and annoyed about it.

So yeah, you need to balance things. But as manager in IT I can confirm that this also part of experience, so you can develop this skills in time. Popovic is a great example of coach who changed his style in course of his career.

P.S. I have seen this article explaining some nuances of coaching. I wonder if MIN can acquire more players like TJM who can anticipate AND blow up plays that opponent coach is calling. At the moment I don't think that MCD, Ant are capable of doing it. DLo has experience and IQ to be that guy and often he helped in defense simply by anticipating opponent play. But he is not one who can singlehandedly blow up plays

Read on Twitter
TimberKat
Analyst
And1: 1,754

Re: The 

Post#24 » by TimberKat » Sat Dec 17, 2022 7:16 pm

minimus wrote:
shrink wrote:P.S. I have seen this article explaining some nuances of coaching. I wonder if MIN can acquire more players like TJM who can anticipate AND blow up plays that opponent coach is calling. At the moment I don't think that MCD, Ant are capable of doing it. DLo has experience and IQ to be that guy and often he helped in defense simply by anticipating opponent play. But he is not one who can singlehandedly blow up plays ]

He feels like a realistic target to upgrade this team. His 8 mil salary could be an issue unless he is released, or we include in a DLo trade
shrink
RealGM

Post#25 » by shrink » Sat Dec 17, 2022 7:54 pm

TimberKat wrote:
minimus wrote:P.S. I have seen this article explaining some nuances of coaching. I wonder if MIN can acquire more players like TJM who can anticipate AND blow up plays that opponent coach is calling. At the moment I don't think that MCD, Ant are capable of doing it. DLo has experience and IQ to be that guy and often he helped in defense simply by anticipating opponent play. But he is not one who can singlehandedly blow up plays ]

He feels like a realistic target to upgrade this team. His 8 mil salary could be an issue unless he is released, or we include in a DLo trade

I agree. With commitment to Halliburton, Mathurin, Duarte, Hield ($), and Nembhard, it seems like they would struggle to find guard minutes for everyone. I asked Pacers fans last week, and they said that IND still likes McConnell and gives him minutes. The Pacers are 15-15, but maybe they’d look to move him if they fall farther out?
TwolvesFanRome
Bench Warmer
And1: 640

Post#26 » by TwolvesFanRome » Tue Dec 20, 2022 10:34 am

Ok, I'm not particularly superstitious (I consider myself rational and reasonable)... but I think it's good and appropriate to keep talking about it gentlemen... 8-)
"...I want to compliment him, we all expected that he would take up the game, we have prepared the plan race on him, we have doubled. And, as usual, he did what he wanted..."

Zelimir Obradovic, talking about Dejan Bodiroga
kidfozzy
Junior
And1: 152

Post#27 » by kidfozzy » Tue Dec 20, 2022 1:13 pm

The only thing that’ll stop ANT from being elite is Finch/Connelly. That’s what I fear once KAT/Gobert are back.
minimus
RealGM

Post#28 » by minimus » Tue Dec 20, 2022 4:19 pm

The only thing that can stop Ant from being elite is himself. He needs to keep same level of defensive intensity and slashing game when our twin towers are back.
TwolvesFanRome
Bench Warmer
And1: 640

Post#29 » by TwolvesFanRome » Sun Jan 1, 2023 12:59 pm

I was thinking that we fired Ryan for much less.

if a few weeks ago it was premature, I believe this thread is now legit. I believe defeat vs DET is the bottom of the barrel. Now it is up to the presidency to decide whether to continue scraping it or not.

With the trade for Gobert we have mortgaged our future. Going back is impossible: today his value is equal to three peanuts and a hot dog and you are not in the right situation to negotiate.

Change the entire roster? Impossible. I think by now we have enough documentation to understand that this roster (not for contending but not for tanking either) in Finch's hands doesn't work.

We are at a turning point: if we continue like this we will crash into a wall. Snyder? Udoka? Idk but the time has come to shake up the whole environment..
"...I want to compliment him, we all expected that he would take up the game, we have prepared the plan race on him, we have doubled. And, as usual, he did what he wanted..."

Zelimir Obradovic, talking about Dejan Bodiroga
Zonarosa
Sophomore
And1: 65

Post#30 » by Zonarosa » Sun Jan 1, 2023 8:13 pm

minimus wrote:
shrink wrote:The time out question is different to me. I’ve coached youth sports a bit when my kids were young, and occasionally parents would come up after the game to complain that I should have called more time outs, and maybe we would have won the game if I did. And they may be right. But with young players, I’m trying to get them the opportunity to find it in themselves to deal with adversity. I want them to develop resilience, and I want to see who steps up to lead. When I see Finch slow to call a time out after an opponent’s 6-0 run, it makes me wonder if he is trying to make a longterm investment in his very young team. This has always been a weak area for Towns, but I am hoping Ant learns to fight through trouble and lead the rest of the team too.

Agree. Perfect description of coaching job challenge. It is like micromanaging in IT. As manager of the group you should always balance between development of players, giving them his own solution, motivating and fire alarm. Sometimes you shouldn't give solution right after problem arises. As we say "there is no answer for question that doesn't exist" Moreover you need to protect whole group from external noise allowing them to be focused on solution.

I have read a few times that Finch wants to develop our young players to "play through". And as I can see from his reactions he sees when our team collapses, but he wants how players responds first. It is very different from Thibs style who was barking EVERY play from sidelines. I remember fans being upset and annoyed about it.

So yeah, you need to balance things. But as manager in IT I can confirm that this also part of experience, so you can develop this skills in time. Popovic is a great example of coach who changed his style in course of his career.

P.S. I have seen this article explaining some nuances of coaching. I wonder if MIN can acquire more players like TJM who can anticipate AND blow up plays that opponent coach is calling. At the moment I don't think that MCD, Ant are capable of doing it. DLo has experience and IQ to be that guy and often he helped in defense simply by anticipating opponent play. But he is not one who can singlehandedly blow up plays

Read on Twitter

mcconnell’s always been one of my favorites. dude just gets it.
minimus
RealGM

Post#31 » by minimus » Mon Jan 2, 2023 9:17 am

Zonarosa wrote:
minimus wrote:

Read on Twitter

mcconnell’s always been one of my favorites. dude just gets it.

Yeah, I dont know but he always finds way to steal the ball. This guy is an excellent role player.
minimus
RealGM

Post#32 » by minimus » Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:08 am

Fire Finch!
minimus
RealGM

Post#33 » by minimus » Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:48 am

Read on Twitter
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,506

Post#34 » by Klomp » Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:42 pm

minimus wrote:Fire Finch!

:lol:
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,506

Post#35 » by Klomp » Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:33 pm

This is a really smart adjustment and wrinkle on a play design

Read on Twitter
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
minimus
RealGM

Post#36 » by minimus » Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:58 am

Klomp wrote:This is a really smart adjustment and wrinkle on a play design

Read on Twitter

We ahve not had such high level team passing at forward position since Bjelica left.
shrink
RealGM

Post#37 » by shrink » Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:51 pm

Ok, I’m curious. When our players throw the ball away on dumb turnovers, how do you divide the blame? I’m like

10% on Finch. Maybe he could settle them down more?
10% on Front Office for acquiring players that do this.
5% on “it’s just the price of learning, against NBA opponents.
75% on the Players. They are professionals, and shouldn’t be making high school mistakes.
NebWolvesFan
Pro Prospect
And1: 366

Post#38 » by NebWolvesFan » Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:42 pm

shrink wrote:Ok, I’m curious. When our players throw the ball away on dumb turnovers, how do you divide the blame? I’m like

75% on the Players. They are professionals, and shouldn’t be making high school mistakes.

I don't think there's a true PG on the Wolves outside of Little Mac who has been out all season. Even Russell is more of a combo guard who had like half a season making great passes to Allen. Without a true PG too often someone who shouldn't be pushing and passing the ball is pushing and passing the ball.

I love Point Ant in concept and maybe someday soon it will be great, but it's shaky right now. This is why I would love it if Van Vleet someone got to Minnesota. A real PG to set up the offense would be a godsend
life_saver
General Manager
And1: 6,153

Post#39 » by life_saver » Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:37 pm

shrink wrote:Ok, I’m curious. When our players throw the ball away on dumb turnovers, how do you divide the blame? I’m like

I agree...at the end of the day, we don't exactly know what happens behind the scenes and whether the coaching team is addressing these turnover issues or not but I'd give the benefit of doubt to Finch on that because some of these turnovers are so so stupid. The one area where I think the coaching team can play a role is to tell the non-ball handlers (except DLo, Ant, SloMo) on the team to chill a bit when they get a chance to initiate the offensive possession. We have atleast 1 or 2 turnovers every game this way where the opponent intercepts the pass attempted to thrown across half-court when they are trying to initiate the possession. Gobert had a turnover like this yesterday which I think ended up Kings intercepting it and scoring a bucket.
minimus
RealGM

Post#40 » by minimus » Thu Feb 2, 2023 4:42 pm

Read on Twitter

Fire Finch!

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves