ImageImageImage

Jaric

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#21 » by Devilzsidewalk » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:35 pm

I just don't want Al going head to head against Haywood, Dalembert, Kaman, Diop, Dampier, Yao, Oden, Przybilla, Bynum, Z, Shaq, and Howard. Those guys can use their size to wear on Al and limit his effectiveness. I'm cool with him playing center otherwise.
4ho5ive
Assistant Coach
And1: 3

Post#22 » by 4ho5ive » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:53 pm

Yea I think he has been doing a fine job at the 5, but i would still feel better if we had a "true" Center next to him.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM

Post#23 » by Devilzsidewalk » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:58 pm

he does do a good job at center, but he could be more dominating at PF. He'd still play center like when we play GS or Phx, and other certain matchups, but for traditional teams, PF is best. If we draft Beasley, I want to force feed him the SF spot.
cookie_rhino_5_
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#24 » by cookie_rhino_5_ » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:01 pm

i agree with what y'all are saying...it's very frustrating thinking about the draft and what we need rather then taking the best player on the board at our destined pick...we still got a half of a season left so maybe (as much as he is needed there) al will keep improving at the center position, until theo gets back, and we can have a more accurate answer once the draft time comes...also to get on the real topic, seeing jaric play like he has lately with his near triple doubles and stuff is very exciting, hopefully with this being another spurt of what he showed earlier in the year he can bring up that consistency...because it seems that when jaric is out there playing like this, the whole team is responding better...i want the number 1 pick as much as anyone, but seeing our pups win games, especially over elite teams is so exciting about the future to come!
funkatron101
General Manager
And1: 991

Post#25 » by funkatron101 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:01 pm

Devilzsidewalk wrote:I just don't want Al going head to head against Haywood, Dalembert, Kaman, Diop, Dampier, Yao, Oden, Przybilla, Bynum, Z, Shaq, and Howard. Those guys can use their size to wear on Al and limit his effectiveness. I'm cool with him playing center otherwise.

Not all of those guys will be mismatches. Some of them will, but you could find bad matchups for Al at the PF spot as well.

Howard vs Al was a blast to watch. I don't think they can effectively stop each other too often. Shaq will retire soon, Pryzybilla, Diop, and Dampier would likely have limited minutes.
deeney0
RealGM
And1: 9

Post#26 » by deeney0 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:08 pm

Devilzsidewalk wrote:I just don't want Al going head to head against Haywood, Dalembert, Kaman, Diop, Dampier, Yao, Oden, Przybilla, Bynum, Z, Shaq, and Howard. Those guys can use their size to wear on Al and limit his effectiveness. I'm cool with him playing center otherwise.

So it sounds more like you'd rather have a C average 10-15 minutes a night (play 30 some nights, depending on the match up) than limit Al to no more than 10 minutes a game at C. I think that would be a lot easier to arrange. That could be Hibbert. That could be Diop. That could be Theo if he wants to stay another year here for the vet minimum. That could even be Jordan near the end of his rookie season. Maybe even someone as bad as POB.
dunkonu21
Lead Assistant
And1: 40

Post#27 » by dunkonu21 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:58 pm

One thought that just crossed my mind. I am a believer that these small teams are a large reason to why we have been able to play Al at C. There also could be an argument made that having Gomes play PF instead of Craig is another reason. I have been known to hate on Craig for a while now, but you must admit. Al seems a lot better on defense when it is Gomes helping him out on the backside instead of Craig Smith.
horaceworthy
Head Coach
And1: 250

Post#28 » by horaceworthy » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:59 pm

He'll be matched up against the other team's best post defender regardless, and ideally he'll be matched up against the worst interior player the other team has regardless, since he isn't a good defender (at either PF or C). He doesn't have that luxury with Craig Smith in the lineup (and he wouldn't with Beasley as a PF).

Get a good post defender that can help on the boards and contribute a bit on offense and Al will be fine.
"A while back,'' Cardinal said, "I took a picture of the standings and texted it to Love, just to bust his chops,'' Cardinal said. "He sent me a picture back of a snowdrift.''
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM

Post#29 » by Devilzsidewalk » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:10 pm

funkatron101 wrote:Not all of those guys will be mismatches. Some of them will, but you could find bad matchups for Al at the PF spot as well.

Howard vs Al was a blast to watch. I don't think they can effectively stop each other too often. Shaq will retire soon, Pryzybilla, Diop, and Dampier would likely have limited minutes.

there are some mismatches for Al at the PF as far as him defending guys, but as far as his offensive game, I can't think of any PFs that can stop AL. But for centers it seems like big guys like Haywood/Dalembert really give Al big problems and he can't control the paint against them like he can PFs.

deeney0 wrote:
So it sounds more like you'd rather have a C average 10-15 minutes a night (play 30 some nights, depending on the match up) than limit Al to no more than 10 minutes a game at C. I think that would be a lot easier to arrange. That could be Hibbert. That could be Diop. That could be Theo if he wants to stay another year here for the vet minimum. That could even be Jordan near the end of his rookie season. Maybe even someone as bad as POB.

Thats my ideal scenario, Diop is the apple of my eye, he's tailor-made for 25 mpg. POB would be a lucky get if he could be that kind of player, I'd take a chance but I wouldn't hold my breath.

The other scenario would be another PF/C like an Okafor type of guy where it doesn't really matter who you call your center, you just play to matchups.

My NIGHTMARE is having Al Jefferson and Craig Smith or Ryan Gomes as the starting frontcourt for next season, that'd be ridiculous.

The whole point is not making Al the permanent fixture as the only guy with the size to match up against centers, that wears down our #1 scoring option by making him bang around with these lugs.
prefuse73
Sixth Man
And1: 44

Post#30 » by prefuse73 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:50 am

I can't believe I have to remind people...but al is only 22, he CAN improve on defense. He has not hit his ceiling.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,634

Post#31 » by Klomp » Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:42 am

I think this thread got a little offtopic
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
4ho5ive
Assistant Coach
And1: 3

Post#32 » by 4ho5ive » Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:34 am

Al Jefferson is great.
PPAW4Life
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#33 » by PPAW4Life » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:30 am

I really believe that Al can be the next closest thing to Olajuwon at Center, if he continues to progress there at that position.

The NBA is devoid of Center talent in this league. It should be very easy for Al to dominate at that position.

I think the problem here is on the defensive side of things, Al is still learning and needs a ways away to catch up to his offensive game.

Also who ever is playing PF while Al is playing Center needs to sure up the defense as well.

I really don't see Gomes as a defender at the 4 spot.
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,843

Post#34 » by C.lupus » Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:47 pm

klomp44 wrote:I think this thread got a little offtopic

Ya think?

PPAW4Life wrote:I really believe that Al can be the next closest thing to Olajuwon at Center, if he continues to progress there at that position.

The NBA is devoid of Center talent in this league. It should be very easy for Al to dominate at that position.

I think the problem here is on the defensive side of things, Al is still learning and needs a ways away to catch up to his offensive game.

Also who ever is playing PF while Al is playing Center needs to sure up the defense as well.

I really don't see Gomes as a defender at the 4 spot.

Al is about the same size as Dream and has great footwork but that is where the comparison ends. Olajuwon was incredibly quick, athletic, and was one of the top defenders and shot blockers in the league. Al just isn't as athletic as Dream and never will be.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 15,403

Post#35 » by shrink » Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:33 pm

Sadly, the two best centers MIN has had in its history are both PFs.
karch34
Lead Assistant
And1: 766

Post#36 » by karch34 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:54 pm

klomp44 wrote:I think this thread got a little offtopic

Slightly. But it is a good point that Gomes has shown himself worthy of a lot of minutes. So if we do have Al at major minutes at PF, then Gomes should probably play more SF, which in the end does affect Jaric's role and minutes, IMO.

Eventually I think we'll see most of the rotation being something like:
Foye, McCants, Gomes, Jefferson, Ratliff
Telfair, Brewer, Jaric, Gomes, Jefferson
Foye, McCants, Jaric, Smith, Walker
not necessarily in that order.
chrbal
RealGM
And1: 1,651

Post#37 » by chrbal » Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:00 pm

To anyone who thinks otherwise, "The better Jaric plays, the better chance there is of him being traded"

Thats the way it should always be viewed.

If the Wolves can even get a trade similar to Hassel for Buckner, where they get a similar but cheaper player with Jaric being moved...it should be done.

Even at 30 years old with the Wolves in year of a rebuild, Marko will never be a cruicial part of a Wolves playoff team in the future.

Trade him as soon as a decent deal comes up.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves