Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,770

Re: The Official Leonard Miller Thread 

Post#41 » by minimus » Fri Jun 23, 2023 7:53 pm

Colbinii wrote:
Devilzsidewalk wrote:
minimus wrote:I guess the biggest question is now: what can be his projected role. Point forward ala Anderson? Do-it-all combo forward ala Jeff Green? Poor man Giannis? Poor man Siakam?

My best guess is a point-forward with Giannis' finishing and Siakam's mid-range game

Huh?

Assuming he doesn't just completely flame out like Jarrett Culver, Miller's first, low-end comparison should be our beloved Jared Vanderbilt.

Their measurables are similar [Height, Length and Reach] with Leonard being slightly larger. Leonard isn't quite the energizer [from what we have seen] as a player nicknamed V8--but thats okay.

Now, where things truly get interesting, is the touch Leonard has. Leonard has an excellent touch for his size. He makes reads quickly and can pass to the open man on a consistent basis. These two skills are examples of why Leonards ceiling is much higher than V8, who is best as a 6-8 man, high energy and excellent defender.

While Leonard has a higher ceiling, lets not jump to Giannis and Siakam--Leonard will never realistically be that good--and thats okay.

His skill-set projects him to be able to become closer to Jaden McDaniels than Jared Vanderbilt, which is huge, because once you start seeing those skills [notably shooting touch, dribble game and simple passing reads] it opens up a ton of doors as a potential player [See Mikal Bridges in Brooklyn].

I'm pumped for Leonard Miller--but let's cool it on the Giannis/Siakam comps.

I was writing roles for Miller. As I often did in identity thread. Or if it helps "archetypes" of players.
Norseman79
Sixth Man
And1: 561

Post#42 » by Norseman79 » Fri Jun 23, 2023 8:07 pm

I wonder how much Lamar Odom he might have to his game.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 5,045

Post#43 » by KGdaBom » Fri Jun 23, 2023 8:10 pm

Norseman79 wrote:I wonder how much Lamar Odom he might have to his game.

Odom's game was always pretty. Miller is awkward, but effective.
Norseman79
Sixth Man
And1: 561

Post#44 » by Norseman79 » Fri Jun 23, 2023 8:14 pm

KGdaBom wrote:

I was thinking more style than level at this time
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#45 » by KGdaBom » Fri Jun 23, 2023 8:16 pm

Norseman79 wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:

I was thinking more style than level at this time

That's what I'm saying is that Odom had style and Miller has no style. Substance could turn out the same in the long run. If the Wolves get very lucky Miller might even turn out better than Odom.
seal
Ballboy
And1: 12

Post#46 » by seal » Fri Jun 23, 2023 8:29 pm

This is a weird comp, but Leonard gives me slight Corey Brewer vibes. Obviously their bodies are a lot different, but they both have a frenetic playstyle that sometimes looks awkward or uncoordinated but is often crudely effective.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#47 » by KGdaBom » Fri Jun 23, 2023 8:34 pm

Short, but very sweet analysis of the Wolves getting Leonard Miller.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#48 » by KGdaBom » Fri Jun 23, 2023 8:35 pm

Farce of an Interview with Miller about him going to the Spurs. Why did they even do this interview.
BlacJacMac
Sixth Man
And1: 1,554

Post#49 » by BlacJacMac » Fri Jun 23, 2023 8:52 pm

Macwolf527 wrote:
Why put the ceiling on the young man? He could excel at a high level. Giannis might be asking for a lot, but Siakam is well within his range and if he develops a solid jumper, who knows what levels he'll reach. I just like that he has skills and a great motor. You will not have to tell him to "GO", you'll have to tell him to "SLOWDOWN".

I don't think its "putting a ceiling" on a player as much as trying to figure out a realistic upside (and/or downside). Nothing any of us say or write is going to influence how his career plays out.

If you're going to give everyone a ceiling of MVP, then what's the point of even doing the exercise? If people truly were believing he could be the next Giannis, he would've gone in the top half of the lottery.

Isn't it probably better to come up with something more in line with what a player has shown shown in the past and try to extrapolate that based on similar comps? Now if they blow right past that "ceiling", then great!! Best possible outcome.
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 28,227

Post#50 » by Domejandro » Fri Jun 23, 2023 8:54 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
Domejandro wrote:Minnesota was desperately trying to trade up the last two days, so cool to see who they were pursuing so aggressively.

Did we make that deal before or after Nick Smith was drafted? If so he definitely could have been the target.

My impression at the time was that they were trying to trade up for a forward (easy to say after the fact :lol: ), for what it is worth. I don't think Nick Smith Jr. was on their radar, I think Leonard Miller was the player that they wanted.

EDIT: I was totally off about Taurean Prince*, but here was my pre-Draft take.
Domejandro wrote:If Minnesota does anything tonight, my expectation is that it will be something centered around Taurean Prince. I know that they are aggressively trying to trade up into the end of the First Round.

*I was thinking that Taurean Prince + seconds for Daniel Theis + #26 might have been something, but I clearly was totally off on thinking that might be the deal.
Macwolf527
Junior
And1: 218

Post#51 » by Macwolf527 » Fri Jun 23, 2023 9:00 pm

BlacJacMac wrote:
Macwolf527 wrote:
Why put the ceiling on the young man? He could excel at a high level. Giannis might be asking for a lot, but Siakam is well within his range and if he develops a solid jumper, who knows what levels he'll reach. I just like that he has skills and a great motor. You will not have to tell him to "GO", you'll have to tell him to "SLOWDOWN".

I don't think its "putting a ceiling" on a player as much as trying to figure out a realistic upside (and/or downside). Nothing any of us say or write is going to influence how his career plays out.

If you're going to give everyone a ceiling of MVP, then what's the point of even doing the exercise? If people truly were believing he could be the next Giannis, he would've gone in the top half of the lottery.

Isn't it probably better to come up with something more in line with what a player has shown shown in the past and try to extrapolate that based on similar comps? Now if they blow right past that "ceiling", then great!! Best possible outcome.

A two-time MVP just won the Championship with the team that drafted him at #41. The truth is, who knows?
BlacJacMac
Sixth Man

Post#52 » by BlacJacMac » Fri Jun 23, 2023 9:07 pm

Macwolf527 wrote:
BlacJacMac wrote:
Macwolf527 wrote:

A two-time MVP just won the Championship with the team that drafted him at #41. The truth is, who knows?

Good point. I guess we should compare all drafted players with MVPs because "who knows?"
shrink
RealGM
And1: 15,405

Post#53 » by shrink » Fri Jun 23, 2023 9:24 pm

Devilzsidewalk wrote:I'll cool down nothing. Also Jaren Jackson's defense.

:lol: And I don’t want to invoke MJ, but I think he has Michael B Jordan’s presence.
BlacJacMac
Sixth Man

Post#54 » by BlacJacMac » Fri Jun 23, 2023 9:30 pm

And if you close one eye and really squint with the other, he looks a lot like KG.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,898

Post#55 » by Calinks » Fri Jun 23, 2023 11:02 pm

KGdaBom wrote:Apparently we can't talk about Miller yet. Here's Tim Connelly discussing the draft.

Draft day trades are the worst. I hate how we all know the deal but we cant talk about or acknowledge for some time. NBA needs to just treat them as done deals as soon as we know and work out the official stuff later. What is the point of all the hush hush? We all the deal was made? Where is the harm in talking about it?
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,898

Post#56 » by Calinks » Fri Jun 23, 2023 11:09 pm

BlacJacMac wrote:And if you close one eye and really squint with the other, he looks a lot like KG.

Can Arod get KG to come mentor this kid ala Kevin McHale?
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
younggunsmn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,587

Post#57 » by younggunsmn » Sat Jun 24, 2023 7:53 am

TC looks like Nick Swardson's twin brother in that interview. Even has some of the same mannerisms.
younggunsmn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,587

Post#58 » by younggunsmn » Sat Jun 24, 2023 7:57 am

We need to get Miller on whatever program we had Naz Reid on for the last 4 years.
A lot of athletic gifts and a frame that can add some bulk.
Not a lot of developed skills or feel for the game yet.

The ~80% FT shooting has me encouraged he will eventually be a plus shooter.
Usually a pretty good bellweather stat, especially for bigs.
Note30
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,667

Post#59 » by Note30 » Sat Jun 24, 2023 3:48 pm

younggunsmn wrote:We need to get Miller on whatever program we had Naz Reid on for the last 4 years.

Rubio shot 80% from the FT line. That being said, Ricky didn't experience a 6 inch growth spurt in the last two years. I actually think he's closer to a Vanderbilt as his floor and his ceiling is higher than Draymond.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#60 » by KGdaBom » Sat Jun 24, 2023 4:42 pm

Note30 wrote:
younggunsmn wrote:We need to get Miller on whatever program we had Naz Reid on for the last 4 years.

Rubio shot 80% from the FT line. That being said, Ricky didn't experience a 6 inch growth spurt in the last two years. I actually think he's closer to a Vanderbilt as his floor and his ceiling is higher than Draymond.

Dray is a very high ceiling for him. He was a total package and a DAWG. However, Miller should easily score more.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves