Hansbrough
LETS GO WOLVES!!! 8-)
Zeitgeister
General Manager
And1: 5,899

Re: College players thread/ Draft Related thread 

Post#43 » by Zeitgeister » Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:31 am

Worm Guts wrote:
PeeDee wrote:They need what they always have needed, a guard that can get to the free throw line a lot and do it consistantly. Being able to defend would be nice too.

Harden/DeRozen or bust.

Who would you pick right now if you had to chose between Harden and Derozan? Harden is alot more advanced while Derozan has the bigger upside and the athleticism that Wolves need.

Personally, I would definitely take Derozan. Granted, Harden definitely has a more polished skill set at this point but Derozan has unlimited potential, and he's already very good on offense. Unless he completely stinks it up in college, I say go for broke with Derozan.
Lenin wrote: All over the world, wherever there are capitalists, freedom of the press means freedom to buy up newspapers, to buy writers, to bribe, buy and fake "public opinion" for the benefit of the bourgeoisie.
hotshotschamp
Rookie
And1: 14

Post#44 » by hotshotschamp » Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:20 am

HOLY COW!!

Blake Griffin is good!!!! I know he's a PF, and thats the last position we need. But what do we do if we land the #1 pick and Griffin turns out to be the #1 pick by a fair margin.

The announcers tonight were saying he's an amare clone, and it's hard to ignore! I didn't realize how athletic he was, he had a thundering dunk where he was a foot over the rim, and coming down!

He's a rebounding fool, and runs the court way better than al jeff or love forsure.

We could either package a current player, take him as BPA and figure it out, trade him for another top pick and an asset.....

This kid might be the player you want to build around though, he has the look of a superstar.

Btw Stepphen curry is an assasin.
AQuintus
RealGM
And1: 2,458

Post#45 » by AQuintus » Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:24 am

DeRozan with a pretty forgettable game: 7 points, 6 rebs, 2 blocks on 2-6 fg 3-4 ft

Ty Lawson: 11 points, 9 assists on 3-15 fg 5-6 ft

With 8:35 left in the second half

Blake Griffin: 22 points, 16 rebs on 7-11 fg 8-8 ft

Stephen Curry: 34 points, 2 assists on 9-21 fg (4-10 3pt) 12-12 ft

And a prospect that hasn't been mentioned yet:

Tyreke Evans 6-6 SG Memphis: 19 points, 6 rebs, 4 assists, 5 steals on 7-17 fg 4-5 ft

I was surprised to see Evans' stat line when I looked at the box score earlier today, because I watched the Memphis game last night, and I thought he looked terrible out there.

Edit:
hotshotschamp wrote:The announcers tonight were saying he's an amare clone, and it's hard to ignore! I didn't realize how athletic he was, he had a thundering dunk where he was a foot over the rim, and coming down!

I don't know about Amare. I would say a much more explosive Carlos Boozer. Either way, he's going to be a pick and roll monster in the NBA.
hotshotschamp
Rookie

Post#46 » by hotshotschamp » Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:26 am

Blake Griffin is the best prospect out there.

IF twolves get #1 pick, they need to get him and figure out who to trade or whatever to make it work.

You build around superstars in the nba, this kid can be one. No doubt.
wolves_fan_82au
Assistant Coach
And1: 32

Post#47 » by wolves_fan_82au » Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:45 am

these are the same type of numbers beasley was putting up last season

and yes i agree this kid will be awesome

i wonder what curry will avg per game if he keeps this up :o
teams supporting
NBA-Minnesota t-wolves
NHL-Toronto Mapleleafs
NFL-Miami Dolphins
MLB-???
Others:Wests Tigers,Leeds United,Schalke,VVV,Sydney Kings,Tatsuma Ito
hotshotschamp
Rookie

Post#48 » by hotshotschamp » Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:47 am

He's a better built beasley with a little less range, and more power game, and his rebounding I see translating better at the next level.

Both were great prospects, but Griffin has the look of a future superstar, his athleticism caught me off guard tonight, i didn't know he was that freakish.

Man Curry is money, such a smooth release and shot, he can average 30 a game, he finds ways to score, he always is moving without the ball ala reggie miller
big3_8_19_21
RealGM
And1: 421

Post#49 » by big3_8_19_21 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:17 am

Having never actually watched Stephen Curry play, I would just like to note that JJ Redick was a monster in college as well.
Thriving on mediocrity since '89.
wolves_fan_82au
Assistant Coach
And1: 32

Post#50 » by wolves_fan_82au » Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:05 am

big3_8_19_21 wrote:Having never actually watched Stephen Curry play, I would just like to note that JJ Redick was a monster in college as well.

he was

but curry looks better
teams supporting
NBA-Minnesota t-wolves
NHL-Toronto Mapleleafs
NFL-Miami Dolphins
MLB-???
Others:Wests Tigers,Leeds United,Schalke,VVV,Sydney Kings,Tatsuma Ito
hotshotschamp
Rookie

Post#51 » by hotshotschamp » Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:31 am

The way curry moves without the ball makes his a threat always
karch34
Lead Assistant
And1: 766

Post#52 » by karch34 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:27 pm

hotshotschamp wrote:Blake Griffin is the best prospect out there.

IF twolves get #1 pick, they need to get him and figure out who to trade or whatever to make it work.

The kid is a beast. If we got the #1 pick I would really be tempted to trade Love and play Griffin with Al at the PF and C. Still leaves us without a true C, but if you had to go with a PF-C combo of a Duncan and Brand type of player I think most would rather do that than Duncan and Diop type of player. Of course you'd probably get some great offers for Griffin.

Curry is amazing. If he can show he can play PG, he should go near the top of the draft. I understand the Riddick comparison, but it's one thing to put up the numbers with the complimentary players at Davidson vs the 12 McDonald's all americans you have surrounding you at Duke.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,642

Post#53 » by Worm Guts » Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:32 pm

karch34 wrote:

The kid is a beast. If we got the #1 pick I would really be tempted to trade Love and play Griffin with Al at the PF and C. Still leaves us without a true C, but if you had to go with a PF-C combo of a Duncan and Brand type of player I think most would rather do that than Duncan and Diop type of player. Of course you'd probably get some great offers for Griffin.

Is Griffin a Duncan type? I haven't seen Griffin much but it sounds like he's 2-3 inches shorter and I haven't heard about him playing the type of defense Duncan plays, which I think would be the key.
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,843

Post#54 » by C.lupus » Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:45 pm

I'm sorry, but if we draft another 6'10" PF/C, I will commit hara-kari.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#55 » by Worm Guts » Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:58 pm

I wouldn't go that far. I'd prefer to not draft another power forward, but if he's the far and away best player available you have to take him.
jpatrick
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,674

Post#56 » by jpatrick » Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:26 pm

I don't think Griffin is a Duncan type player. Duncan has great post moves and is a "technician." I like the Griffin/Amare comparison. He's raw power and explosiveness. I don't think he's quite as explosive as Amare when he entered the league but close. If we get the #1 pick and he's the clear cut guy, we either take him or trade the pick. We can't just bypass talent.

I don't trust McHale to make the right decision though. I don't think he can judge talent. I just don't.
karch34
Lead Assistant
And1: 766

Post#57 » by karch34 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:53 pm

Worm Guts wrote:
karch34 wrote:

Is Griffin a Duncan type? I haven't seen Griffin much but it sounds like he's 2-3 inches shorter and I haven't heard about him playing the type of defense Duncan plays, which I think would be the key.

It was more Jefferson=Duncan and Griffin=Brand. Not saying that Jefferson or Griffin are anywhere near those players or ever will be, but Griffin seemed more like Brand due to size.

I would prefer not to draft another PF, but as has been said if he's the clear cut best player then you have to consider it.
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#58 » by C.lupus » Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:50 pm

I believe in drafting for talent over position, too. But blindly taking the “best” player without regard for your team only makes sense in two cases: 1. You are starting from scratch or, 2. That player is a bona-fide superstar. This team has a lot of needs, no doubt, but we are not starting from scratch. We have Jefferson and Love and we have Pekovic in the future. There may not be a superstar in that bunch but there are at least two players with all-star-level potential. If Griffin turns out to be a superstar-level talent (and I’m talking LBJ/Duncan-level superstar), then we absolutely take him. If he looks like an Amare/Carmelo-level star, then I would say the talent difference between him and what we already have does not warrant using our pick for him.

I just think a Rubio, DeRozan, Harden, Thabeet, or Mullins would provide a huge upgrade at PG, SG, or C and would have a much, much greater impact on this team than a mild upgrade at PF. I don’t see Griffin as being THAT much better than those players, either. It is VERY early, though.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#59 » by Worm Guts » Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:32 pm

I don't think it just depends on how good Griffin is, whether he's a superstar or not, it depends on the gap between him and the other players we'd be choosing from. Last year for example, even if you didn't think Beasley was a superstar, you would still draft him over Russell Westbrook and Brook Lopez no matter what.
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#60 » by C.lupus » Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:06 pm

I agree that you need to take that into account, too. I'm just saying take into account the talent difference between the pick and his competition on the team as well. To use Beasley again as an example...If we had the #2 pick and Beasley and Mayo were on the board and we already have Jefferson and Love (illogical, I know but it is an example), then I would take Mayo even though there is a dropoff between the two. I wouldn't advocate taking a #9 level talent over a #2.

One other point. With McHale's history of taking the better talent and trading down, I think he would get much less flack for just picking a DeRozan or Thabeet instead of a Griffin. It's the same result but there wouldn't be this everlasting comparison between the two players.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves