Esohny
RealGM
And1: 339

Re: RUMOR - Timberwolves Coaching Search 

Post#41 » by Esohny » Wed Jul 1, 2009 5:02 pm

Oh, and Barkley wants us to hire Del Harris

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_12732066?source=rss
SMAC-K wrote:Mayo>>>>Love and that 5th pick
OJ Mayo is one of the best defenders in the league, hes a two way player and hes a great passer and playmaker.
Esohny
RealGM

Post#42 » by Esohny » Thu Jul 2, 2009 4:57 am

Esohny wrote:http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AtjQ2QSwoHLEuLSjy4fjgF68vLYF?slug=aw-gordonvillanueva070109&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Little blurb here about Kahn's potential interest in one of Portland's assistant coaches.

Speaking of which, Monty sounds like a decent choice. He has shown the ability to develop young players in portland and has worked for the spurs and blazers for the last 5 years. Get Laimbeer to assist. Bring Terrell Brandon in to work with the PGs.
OJ Mayo is one of the best defenders in the league, hes a two way player and hes a great passer and playmaker.
tvwolves7
Junior
And1: 1

Post#43 » by tvwolves7 » Fri Jul 3, 2009 2:39 am

Esohny wrote:
Esohny wrote:http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AtjQ2QSwoHLEuLSjy4fjgF68vLYF?slug=aw-gordonvillanueva070109&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Little blurb here about Kahn's potential interest in one of Portland's assistant coaches.

Speaking of which, Monty sounds like a decent choice. He has shown the ability to develop young players in portland and has worked for the spurs and blazers for the last 5 years. Get Laimbeer to assist. Bring Terrell Brandon in to work with the PGs.

Another link confirming Monty will be interviewed.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/wolve ... anchO7DiUr
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Post#44 » by Krapinsky » Tue Jul 7, 2009 8:05 pm

bump

Any love for Pat Ewing?

Thorpe is giving him some love in his twitter feed -- calling him smart, optimistic, and not overly controlling
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
mefromthefuture
Rookie
And1: 108

Post#45 » by mefromthefuture » Tue Jul 7, 2009 8:07 pm

Dr.Krapinsky wrote:bump

Any love for Pat Ewing?

Thorpe is giving him some love in his twitter feed -- calling him smart, optimistic, and not overly controlling

I would love for them to give Patrick Ewing the job, knows how to work with big guys and might help Al on defense I'm all for given Ewing his shot.
horaceworthy
Head Coach
And1: 250

Post#46 » by horaceworthy » Tue Jul 7, 2009 8:12 pm

I just saw that as well. Ewing intrigues me, so does Monty Williams. I mostly just don't want a retread. I was getting really annoyed after the draft when local radio and tv kept on mentioning Avery Johnson as the guy that should coach this team. They went with the old "He was a PG, so he'll get through to Flynn/Rubio!" bit, but didn't acknowledge that he has a history of micromanaging his point guards and was one of the guys pushing real hard for the Kidd/Harris trade.
"A while back,'' Cardinal said, "I took a picture of the standings and texted it to Love, just to bust his chops,'' Cardinal said. "He sent me a picture back of a snowdrift.''
Krapinsky
RealGM

Post#47 » by Krapinsky » Tue Jul 7, 2009 8:16 pm

horaceworthy wrote:I just saw that as well. Ewing intrigues me, so does Monty Williams. I mostly just don't want a retread. I was getting really annoyed after the draft when local radio and tv kept on mentioning Avery Johnson as the guy that should coach this team. They went with the old "He was a PG, so he'll get through to Flynn/Rubio!" bit, but didn't acknowledge that he has a history of micromanaging his point guards and was one of the guys pushing real hard for the Kidd/Harris trade.

I agree. Avery might be the worst fit of any of the candidates out there. We need a coach with patience, one who's willing to grow with the team.

slinky
Bench Warmer
And1: 76

Post#48 » by slinky » Tue Jul 7, 2009 11:11 pm

I dont know much about Ewing outside of his playing days...but I am a little hesitant about hiring head coaches with no coaching experience. I completely agree about re-treads though.

I wouldnt mind a coaching gang bang though. Ewing might be decent at coaching bigs, but we have a couple of young PG's, so it would be nice if they had a coach too. Patrick Ewing+Mark Jackson+x's and o's guy = works for me.

We need teachers, we need guys with patience, we need guys who are ok knowing they wont be winning for the next year or two.
dunkonu21
Lead Assistant
And1: 40

Post#49 » by dunkonu21 » Tue Jul 7, 2009 11:41 pm

No Ewing or Avery. They are not looking like the next Popavich to me.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#50 » by Devilzsidewalk » Tue Jul 7, 2009 11:46 pm

wish we'd pay up for somebody that will shake the foundation of the sports world like Roy Freakin Williams or else get a great young basketball mind
dunkonu21
Lead Assistant
And1: 40

Post#51 » by dunkonu21 » Tue Jul 7, 2009 11:57 pm

Devilzsidewalk wrote:wish we'd pay up for somebody that will shake the foundation of the sports world like Roy Freakin Williams or else get a great young basketball mind

*Likes*
Vega06
Analyst
And1: 0

Post#52 » by Vega06 » Wed Jul 8, 2009 2:47 am

I'm hoping we give Bill Laimbeer his shot since Detroit got their coach.
Esohny
RealGM

Post#53 » by Esohny » Wed Jul 8, 2009 2:49 am

Kahn just said that we were "about a third of the way through the prelim interviews." Monty and who else made up the 1/3 I wonder?
Esohny
RealGM

Post#54 » by Esohny » Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:46 pm

Elston Turner from the Rockets is the latest assistant to interview I guess. Apparently he's been an assistant with them, SAC, and Portland.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM

Post#55 » by Devilzsidewalk » Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:51 pm

this is taking too long, just hire somebody. We can always fire them later if they stink 8-)
horaceworthy
Head Coach

Post#56 » by horaceworthy » Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:51 pm

slinky wrote:I dont know much about Ewing outside of his playing days...but I am a little hesitant about hiring head coaches with no coaching experience. I completely agree about re-treads though.

I wouldnt mind a coaching gang bang though. Ewing might be decent at coaching bigs, but we have a couple of young PG's, so it would be nice if they had a coach too. Patrick Ewing+Mark Jackson+x's and o's guy = works for me.

We need teachers, we need guys with patience, we need guys who are ok knowing they wont be winning for the next year or two.

Ewing was an assistant coach under JVG in Houston and he's now in Orlando as an assistant for SVG. He ran their Summer League team this year.

I have no idea if he's even on our radar or should be. David Thorpe had some nice things to say about him, though.
"A while back,'' Cardinal said, "I took a picture of the standings and texted it to Love, just to bust his chops,'' Cardinal said. "He sent me a picture back of a snowdrift.''
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,627

Post#57 » by Klomp » Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:54 pm

Chris Broussard just said on ESPNNEWS that the Wolves are only looking to pay 1.5-2 mil dollar salary to the next head coach.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
horaceworthy
Head Coach

Post#58 » by horaceworthy » Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:58 pm

Isn't that a pretty decent salary for a 1st time head coach (which is what I'm guessing we'll hire).
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM

Post#59 » by Devilzsidewalk » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:05 pm

so does that mean we're not hiring John Wooden
Krapinsky
RealGM

Post#60 » by Krapinsky » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:11 pm

horaceworthy wrote:Isn't that a pretty decent salary for a 1st time head coach (which is what I'm guessing we'll hire).

It would probably be in the bottom 5-8 for the league -- probably in the Spolestra, Brooks, Triano territory. I can't find a good link for coach salaries.

But best be sure, this probably takes any higher profile assistants out of the running, i.e. Budenholzer, or Thibideau.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves