The Naz Reid Thread

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,843

Re: The Naz Reid Thread 

Post#61 » by Calinks » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:41 pm

LibertyPrime wrote:Excellent move by Rosas. I like that he moved quickly here. Naz still has some rough edges but this kind of contract will help to keep him motivated to improve.

Rosas has made a number of good small moves and one good big one (Culver), even if he hasn't made the franchise altering moves we were hoping for yet.

All of the moves and attempts give me faith that when we are in position to make huge moves. Rosas will be there pulling the trigger. This front office seems really aggressive and I dig it.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
Lsufan52224
Ballboy
And1: 5

Post#62 » by Lsufan52224 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:05 am

LSU basketball fan here. While I see people saying he must improve rebounding/defending (I agree completely), he improved significantly as the season went on. He grabbed 2 rebounds in 41 minutes against Florida st in November but averaged closed to 8 in conference play. He certainly has the size/skill to play in the league and I am hoping he can crack the rotation. By all accounts he was a great teammate and had no off the court issues. He is a terrific big to big passer and has range from 3, the perfect skill set in today’s NBA
Nick K
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,107

Post#63 » by Nick K » Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:16 am

KGdaBom wrote:
gandlogo wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:If he requires a roster spot and Graham is guaranteed requiring a roster spot does this relegate Nowell to the G League with no roster spot?

I’m certainly no expert - and will graciously defer those that are more knowledgeable (not a high bar) - but Nowell would likely be signed to a deal that costs a roster spot. Any player assigned to Iowa will just be listed as inactive.

I think that if Graham and Reid are on the roster that makes 15. Here is my list in descending order or importance to the team.

1 KAT
2 RoCo
3 Culver
4 Teague
5 Wiggins
6 Okogie
7 Dieng
8 Vonleh
9 Napier
10 Layman
11 Bell
12 KBD
13 Wallace
14 Reid
15 Graham

Seems like Nowell is odd man looking in.

I think Nowell could be one of the steals of the draft. I would put Wallace, and Graham easily below him on the totem pole. I might even put him above Bell and KBD.

I'm going out on a limb but I think he beats out Okogie for a job. He will be a far better player for our style of play.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,474

Post#64 » by Klomp » Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:01 am

KGdaBom wrote:
Klomp wrote:I had a feeling something like this might happen. Great to see!

If years 2-4 have no guarantee what is in it for Reid. The first year guarantee? Is that enough for him to take what seems to be a minimum 4 year contract? Is Nowell still unsigned? It seems that Reid has risen above him in the hierarchy.

What's in it for him? How about getting almost $1 million guaranteed rather than the $75,000-$385,000 he'd be due this year on a two-way deal.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
King Malta
Starter
And1: 1,547

Post#65 » by King Malta » Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:43 am

I find this move so exciting, more for what it represents than just Naz Reid individually.

Given our market/standing in the NBA, these buy low gambles on potential are something we so desperately need to focus on and get right as an organisation. It's very encouraging to see beginning to make moves such as these IMO, it's not something we've really done in the past.
Nick K
Lead Assistant

Post#66 » by Nick K » Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:58 am

Calinks wrote:
LibertyPrime wrote:Excellent move by Rosas. I like that he moved quickly here. Naz still has some rough edges but this kind of contract will help to keep him motivated to improve.

Rosas has made a number of good small moves and one good big one (Culver), even if he hasn't made the franchise altering moves we were hoping for yet.

All of the moves and attempts give me faith that when we are in position to make huge moves. Rosas will be there pulling the trigger. This front office seems really aggressive and I dig it.

They really have been good. Haven't they? They went big, it didn't work so they confidently went to plan "B". They got potential big value (Vonleh) for next to nothing. Plus, they filled out the roster with talented offensive players who can defend. If they're wrong on a guy they can move on and look at someone else. No harm done.
Slim Tubby
Starter
And1: 1,798

Post#67 » by Slim Tubby » Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:59 am

Lsufan52224 wrote:LSU basketball fan here. While I see people saying he must improve rebounding/defending (I agree completely), he improved significantly as the season went on. He grabbed 2 rebounds in 41 minutes against Florida st in November but averaged closed to 8 in conference play. He certainly has the size/skill to play in the league and I am hoping he can crack the rotation. By all accounts he was a great teammate and had no off the court issues. He is a terrific big to big passer and has range from 3, the perfect skill set in today’s NBA

Thank you for stopping by and providing your input on Naz for those of us that didn't get to see much of him at LSU. It's appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Glen Taylor: "Is this moron #1 (Layden)? Put moron #2 (Thibs) on the phone."
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,762

Post#68 » by minimus » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:50 am

The big reason why I believe Naz can be much better is his 14% fat percentage at NBA combine. Shed fat, gain muscles and dominate.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 5,030

Post#69 » by KGdaBom » Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:36 pm

Nick K wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
gandlogo wrote:
I’m certainly no expert - and will graciously defer those that are more knowledgeable (not a high bar) - but Nowell would likely be signed to a deal that costs a roster spot. Any player assigned to Iowa will just be listed as inactive.

I think that if Graham and Reid are on the roster that makes 15. Here is my list in descending order or importance to the team.

1 KAT
2 RoCo
3 Culver
4 Teague
5 Wiggins
6 Okogie
7 Dieng
8 Vonleh
9 Napier
10 Layman
11 Bell
12 KBD
13 Wallace
14 Reid
15 Graham

I think Nowell could be one of the steals of the draft. I would put Wallace, and Graham easily below him on the totem pole. I might even put him above Bell and KBD.

I'm going out on a limb but I think he beats out Okogie for a job. He will be a far better player for our style of play.

That is going out on a limb.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#70 » by KGdaBom » Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:37 pm

Klomp wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:

If years 2-4 have no guarantee what is in it for Reid. The first year guarantee? Is that enough for him to take what seems to be a minimum 4 year contract? Is Nowell still unsigned? It seems that Reid has risen above him in the hierarchy.

What's in it for him? How about getting almost $1 million guaranteed rather than the $75,000-$385,000 he'd be due this year on a two-way deal.

I get that. He is certainly not betting on himself as the saying goes.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 15,290

Post#71 » by shrink » Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:06 pm

Klomp wrote:OK, maybe I'm jumping the gun a bit, but after seeing what he's done offensively in Summer League, I don't think it's a stretch to say he could be an important part of this team going forward.

Good call, Klomp!
shrink
RealGM

Post#72 » by shrink » Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:15 pm

KGdaBom wrote:

If years 2-4 have no guarantee what is in it for Reid. The first year guarantee? Is that enough for him to take what seems to be a minimum 4 year contract?

It guarantees his first year for $900,000. Two-way deals have gotten better, but for a guy on the edge of the NBA, having one year that you make close to a million is too great an opportunity to pass up. Sam Hinkie realized this a few years back, and these deals are nicknamed “The Hinkie Special.” They are 4 years, for about $1 mil a year, and every year is an unguaranteed team option. Robert Covington got one in 2014, so he’s been drastically underpaid in his career. Anyway, these young players are desperate for even small amounts of money (by NBA standards, not their personal standards), and they could lock up promising players cheaply for many years.

Here’s my question. I haven’t found good contract information on the new summer signings, but are all the other contracts guaranteed at this point? I’m asking because Naz just got his two-way deal converted, so I assume we can sign a new two-way player? Any guys you like for that spot?
Macwolf527
Junior
And1: 218

Post#73 » by Macwolf527 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:26 pm

minimus wrote:The big reason why I believe Naz can be much better is his 14% fat percentage at NBA combine. Shed fat, gain muscles and dominate.

I was thinking the same thing. Can you imagine the changes in his game after taking a full offseason and season just to work on his body and hopefully make some changes in his diet. He's going to be a beast. We have to remember that we're talking about a 5-star recruit coming out of high school. I've been impressed with his footwork even at the size he's at now. Should he continue to shoot the 3pt shot and dominate down low with a stronger and more sleek build, he'll make a nice frontcourt partner with towns in the future.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#74 » by Klomp » Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:34 pm

shrink wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:

If years 2-4 have no guarantee what is in it for Reid. The first year guarantee? Is that enough for him to take what seems to be a minimum 4 year contract?

It guarantees his first year for $900,000. Two-way deals have gotten better, but for a guy on the edge of the NBA, having one year that you make close to a million is too great an opportunity to pass up. Sam Hinkie realized this a few years back, and these deals are nicknamed “The Hinkie Special.” They are 4 years, for about $1 mil a year, and every year is an unguaranteed team option. Robert Covington got one in 2014, so he’s been drastically underpaid in his career. Anyway, these young players are desperate for even small amounts of money (by NBA standards, not their personal standards), and they could lock up promising players cheaply for many years.

Here’s my question. I haven’t found good contract information on the new summer signings, but are all the other contracts guaranteed at this point? I’m asking because Naz just got his two-way deal converted, so I assume we can sign a new two-way player? Any guys you like for that spot?

This is the first I've seen these go 4 years, I feel like most are only 3 years.

Oh, and Pincus finally updated yesterday. Wallace is the only one without a full guarantee at this point. And we should be able to sign 2 two-ways.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

shrink
RealGM

Post#75 » by shrink » Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:43 pm

Klomp wrote:
shrink wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:If years 2-4 have no guarantee what is in it for Reid. The first year guarantee? Is that enough for him to take what seems to be a minimum 4 year contract?

This is the first I've seen these go 4 years, I feel like most are only 3 years.

Oh, and Pincus finally updated yesterday. Wallace is the only one without a full guarantee at this point. And we should be able to sign 2 two-ways.

Several examples. Covington was 4, they renegotiated his deal after 3 years.
Lsufan52224
Ballboy
And1: 5

Post#76 » by Lsufan52224 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:15 am

minimus wrote:The big reason why I believe Naz can be much better is his 14% fat percentage at NBA combine. Shed fat, gain muscles and dominate.

That’s what I think as well. An NBA weight room should do him wonders. It seems to be a maturity issue that can be corrected rather than a bad work ethic.
KGdaBom
RealGM

Post#77 » by KGdaBom » Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:17 am

Nick K wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:
gandlogo wrote:

1 KAT
2 RoCo
3 Culver
4 Teague
5 Wiggins
6 Okogie
7 Dieng
8 Vonleh
9 Napier
10 Layman
11 Bell
12 KBD
13 Wallace
14 Reid
15 Graham

Nothing wrong with being excited about Nowell, but what has he done to earn your favor?
Nick K
Lead Assistant

Post#78 » by Nick K » Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:40 am

KGdaBom wrote:
Nick K wrote:
KGdaBom wrote:I think that if Graham and Reid are on the roster that makes 15. Here is my list in descending order or importance to the team.

1 KAT
2 RoCo
3 Culver
4 Teague
5 Wiggins
6 Okogie
7 Dieng
8 Vonleh
9 Napier
10 Layman
11 Bell
12 KBD
13 Wallace
14 Reid
15 Graham

That is going out on a limb.

That's what I do. Who in hell wants to agree with the group think all the time. Not me. I want to try to think outside the box.

The similar people and ilk all derided me when I said Wiggins is a lackadaisical, head in the clouds player who isn't anywhere as good as all were arguing. K Love is a much better player. It's a bad value. People forget about that real quick.

Josh Okogie is not s good a player as Wiggins. Josh is like Ricky Rubio in that he has limited offensive capabilities. That is a major NO in terms of a big time career. He has a place for sure but...

Nowell has the all-around stuff to be a major surprise in the NBA this year. Just like NAW could be. I loved NAW from the git-go.

I love going out on a limb with reasoned thinking not group thinking.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#79 » by Klomp » Thu Mar 5, 2020 7:43 am

This thread bump is LONG overdue!
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,762

Post#80 » by minimus » Thu Mar 5, 2020 4:46 pm

Float like a hippo, bite like a wolf

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves