ImageImageImage

Don't speed it up: Wolves sign Slo-Mo Kyle Anderson (2yr/$18M)

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

winforlose
General Manager
And1: 3,809

Re: Don't speed it up: Wolves sign Slo-Mo Kyle Anderson (2yr/$18M) 

Post#61 » by winforlose » Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:17 am

minimus wrote:Another thing that makes me intrigued by Anderson signing is possibility of using him as freelancer around free throw line that will allow us use different variations of 2-1-2 / 3-2 zone. I expect Anderson and MCD to fill this role, suffocating PoA, tunnelling opponents to left or right side of paint, protecting mid of the paint.

If your Chris Finch, how thrilled are you with your options? There is almost no zone or scheme he cannot run when healthy. We can run ultra big or small ball. We can run most offenses as well. KA isn’t a perfect V8 replacement, but he is good enough that in the grand scheme I don’t think we will mind the change.
minimus
RealGM
And1: 3,762

Post#62 » by minimus » Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:58 am

winforlose wrote:
minimus wrote:Another thing that makes me intrigued by Anderson signing is possibility of using him as freelancer around free throw line that will allow us use different variations of 2-1-2 / 3-2 zone. I expect Anderson and MCD to fill this role, suffocating PoA, tunnelling opponents to left or right side of paint, protecting mid of the paint.

If your Chris Finch, how thrilled are you with your options? There is almost no zone or scheme he cannot run when healthy. We can run ultra big or small ball. We can run most offenses as well. KA isn’t a perfect V8 replacement, but he is good enough that in the grand scheme I don’t think we will mind the change.

Ideally we need a PoA defender to run "box-and-one" and similar schemes where opponent PoA is guarded personally. Maybe 10-15 minutes guy such as Gary Payton II.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#63 » by winforlose » Thu Aug 11, 2022 2:42 pm

minimus wrote:
winforlose wrote:

Ideally we need a PoA defender to run "box-and-one" and similar schemes where opponent PoA is guarded personally. Maybe 10-15 minutes guy such as Gary Payton II.

Ant or MCD are likely the first string POA. Second is probably KA or Prince. Prince looked bad last year, but he was also being asked to play out of position. He should do better against wings.
minimus
RealGM

Post#64 » by minimus » Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:03 pm

winforlose wrote:
minimus wrote:
winforlose wrote:

Ant or MCD are likely the first string POA. Second is probably KA or Prince. Prince looked bad last year, but he was also being asked to play out of position. He should do better against wings.

This is one example from non NBA game, but Ant needs to get A LOT better at navigating screens.

Read on Twitter
?
minimus
RealGM

Post#65 » by minimus » Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:36 pm

https://youtu.be/SyOQFNFfr4U

The question I have right now: would I rather have Grant and his 20mil contract next year(and rumored 112 mil 4 yrs extension), or Anderson for 18 mil / 2 yrs.
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 5,039

Post#66 » by KGdaBom » Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:53 pm

minimus wrote:https://youtu.be/SyOQFNFfr4U

The question I have right now: would I rather have Grant and his 20mil contract next year(and rumored 112 mil 4 yrs extension), or Anderson for 18 mil / 2 yrs.

Easy answer. Anderson and his 2/18.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 15,323

Post#67 » by shrink » Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:39 pm

KGdaBom wrote:
minimus wrote:https://youtu.be/SyOQFNFfr4U

Easy answer. Anderson and his 2/18.

I agree. Jerami Grant left a playoff Nuggets team to go to the Pistons because he wanted more shots, not more winning. He got them, but he wasn’t particularly efficient, especially last year. I think on the Wolves he’d be at least fifth in line for the ball, maybe lower, and he would be angry and want out.

Kyle Anderson is a vet who contributes in a team system. Everyone says he’s a great passer and sets up other people to score. This seems like a perfect fit next to our guys. One of my worries for next year is that too many people are going to expect more shots.
m2002brian
Analyst
And1: 1,155

Post#68 » by m2002brian » Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:59 pm

minimus wrote:
Read on Twitter
?

I’m not understanding this example of Ant navigating screens/getting screened.

At no point in this video is Ant getting screened.

He does, at the beginning, not use the screen set for Mitchel. That’s the only screen even set in the video.
But getting screen/navigating screens ≠ using screens to his advantage on offense. If that was what was meant, I’m sorry, thanks for clearing that up.

Edit: missed the last part of the video.
Looks like dude in white shirt switch on to Mitchell immediately. Being it’s purely a pick up game, I’m going to say everything was probably a switch. Can’t see any reason to why this would be any evidence towards screen navigation.
BLUEGREENRED
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,511

Post#69 » by Klomp » Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:54 pm

MP: Kyle is going to be pretty important, isn’t he?

CF: Very. We picked him up before we did the trade, not even knowing – at the time we decided that we wanted him, we were debating the Rudy trade. But we just knew that this guy fills so many gaps. He’s got great size and he’s mature and he’s a good leader and he’s quiet in the way that you need and want mature players to be. And he’s serious. That was just literally nothing that wasn’t highly valued about him.

https://www.minnpost.com/sports/2022/09/how-will-the-revamped-timberwolves-meld-on-the-court/
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
minimus
RealGM

Post#70 » by minimus » Wed Oct 5, 2022 11:58 am

It might sound weird, but I have feeling that with Anderson we will run fastbreak more often and more efficient. His ability to rebound, pass and dribble is something I wanted to see from Vanderbilt, but in comparison with Vando Kyle has excellent hands.
winforlose
General Manager

Post#71 » by winforlose » Wed Oct 5, 2022 12:38 pm

minimus wrote:It might sound weird, but I have feeling that with Anderson we will run fastbreak more often and more efficient. His ability to rebound, pass and dribble is something I wanted to see from Vanderbilt, but in comparison with Vando Kyle has excellent hands.

V8 seems to be better at defending guards than KA. I would also guess that V8 is better at offensive rebounding and 50/50 ball energy plays. But, KA is likely better at literally everything else. You are correct about better hands and better at both generating/executing transition opportunities. I also see KA as being better at floor spacing and passing. Moreover, KA will facilitate different actions that V8 could not. For example, maybe he plays give and go with Ant, or drive and kick with KAT. Having a PF with a guards handle will open doors for us.
minimus
RealGM

Post#72 » by minimus » Wed Oct 5, 2022 12:42 pm

winforlose wrote:
minimus wrote:It might sound weird, but I have feeling that with Anderson we will run fastbreak more often and more efficient. His ability to rebound, pass and dribble is something I wanted to see from Vanderbilt, but in comparison with Vando Kyle has excellent hands.

V8 seems to be better at defending guards than KA. I would also guess that V8 is better at offensive rebounding and 50/50 ball energy plays. But, KA is likely better at literally everything else. You are correct about better hands and better at both generating/executing transition opportunities. I also see KA as being better at floor spacing and passing. Moreover, KA will facilitate different actions that V8 could not. For example, maybe he plays give and go with Ant, or drive and kick with KAT. Having a PF with a guards handle will open doors for us.

Yeah, I think Vando hands limit his potential. It affects his passing ability (careless passes), finishing ability (no touch, although he improved a bit last season), and dribbling.
Nick K
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,113

Post#73 » by Nick K » Wed Oct 5, 2022 2:39 pm

Does Anderson remind you of Kirilenko a little? He just does all the little things. A total glue guy that makes things happen.
minimus
RealGM

Post#74 » by minimus » Wed Oct 5, 2022 5:58 pm

Nick K wrote:

Does Anderson remind you of Kirilenko a little? He just does all the little things. A total glue guy that makes things happen.

Yes, but AK-47 was really special. Much more quicker than Anderson, bettet individual defender. But I am happy with Anderson. I mean I have been always looking for athletic comboforwards to compliment Towns, but Anderson is a high IQ, savvy player who really understands the game. I hope MCD, Minott and other young players can learn from him.
mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,310

Post#75 » by mplsfonz23 » Wed Oct 5, 2022 7:59 pm

Isn't Kyle more of a SF? Small ball PF? 6-9 230 doesn't seem like he can compete with a true PF. Or is the word "true" not used anymore? Positionless basketball? If Towns can't keep up with quicker PF's how is Slow Mo going to?
winforlose
General Manager

Post#76 » by winforlose » Wed Oct 5, 2022 8:06 pm

mplsfonz23 wrote:Isn't Kyle more of a SF? Small ball PF? 6-9 230 doesn't seem like he can compete with a true PF. Or is the word "true" not used anymore? Positionless basketball? If Towns can't keep up with quicker PF's how is Slow Mo going to?

Naz is 6’9, 250lb and plays center. I think KA can defend average sized PFs. This opinion is based more on reputation than actual knowledge (I don’t have league pass,) but like Finch says “you are what you can guard.”
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,511

Post#77 » by Klomp » Wed Oct 5, 2022 8:09 pm

mplsfonz23 wrote:Isn't Kyle more of a SF? Small ball PF? 6-9 230 doesn't seem like he can compete with a true PF. Or is the word "true" not used anymore? Positionless basketball? If Towns can't keep up with quicker PF's how is Slow Mo going to?

I'm a little confused. You start out asking if Anderson is more of a SF, but then you ask how he will be able to keep up with quicker PFs.

He's not an 80s PF, but he's absolutely good enough to be a 20s PF.

Read on Twitter
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,310

Post#78 » by mplsfonz23 » Thu Oct 6, 2022 1:38 pm

Klomp wrote:

I'm a little confused. You start out asking if Anderson is more of a SF, but then you ask how he will be able to keep up with quicker PFs.

Read on Twitter
Sorry for the confusion. I don't really know much about him. But I went off of his nick name and size and thought he was going to be a G/F type combo. But you and Winforlose helped me understand what type of player we have. Plus that was a nice encouraging video posted. :nod:
Colbinii
RealGM
And1: 20,309

Post#79 » by Colbinii » Thu Oct 6, 2022 2:45 pm

mplsfonz23 wrote:
Klomp wrote:

Read on Twitter
Sorry for the confusion. I don't really know much about him. But I went off of his nick name and size and thought he was going to be a G/F type combo. But you and Winforlose helped me understand what type of player we have. Plus that was a nice encouraging video posted. :nod:

What is a "True" PF?

Here are the PF's on some contenders last year [Using Bbref Measurements]:
Jae Crowder 6' 6" 235
Cam Johnson 6' 8" 210
Tatum 6' 8" 210
Grant Williams 6' 6" 236
Al Horford 6'9 240
P.J. Tucker 6' 5" 245
Jimmy Butler 6' 7" 230
Maxi Kleber 6' 10" 240
Davis Bertans 6' 10" 225

Al Horford is the only guy who fits the old school mold of a PF/C type. The NBA has shifted significantly and even using the terms "PF" or "SF" or "PG" is essentially meaningless outside of discussing generally meaningless awards. Moving beyond positions and instead assessing players based on their skill-sets has significantly more value and makes signifciantly more sense when evaluating a player.

Kyle "Slow-Mo" Anderson has some pros and cons. His Pros include his passing and ball-handling for his position, his general feel and IQ for the game and his length [Extremely long arms] on the defensive end. In theory, Anderson is a terrific fit at the 4 with Towns at the 5. Anderson's fit next to Gobert and additional ball-handlers is less than ideal but defensively would wreck havoc.

Here are some line-up examples where Slow-Mo would benefit:

Forbes/Nowell
Edwards
Prince/McDaniels
Slow-Mo
Towns/Reid

Slow-Mo helps line-ups without a "True PG" with his ball-handling. Another benefit of this [Which I assume we will get to eventually] is the fact Towns has historically struggled against smaller "bigs" [Batum, Clarke, Slow-Mo, ect]. A Slow-Mo/Towns pick and roll actually counters this because if the defense DOESN'T SWITCH and keeps the smaller big on Towns, then Towns can pop for a wide open 3. If they do switch, Towns gets to drive against a slower-plodding Center, which he loves to do.
tsherkin wrote:Locked due to absence of adult conversation.

penbeast0 wrote:Guys, if you don't have anything to say, don't post.

Circa 2018
E-Balla wrote:LeBron is Jeff George.

Circa 2022
G35 wrote:Lebron is not that far off from WB in trade value.
Clav
Starter
And1: 1,856

Post#80 » by Clav » Thu Oct 6, 2022 3:44 pm

There's just been one PreS game but I'm looking at this again and appreciating the savvy play to get Anderson on this roster. He and MCD are great together or separate in lineups that both can generally play big or small. You always can use some switchable wing players and KA is a low usage guy that we will do intangibles to make plays.

Not an offensive signing at all from his production, but he'll contribute in many ways to help the offense.

Defensively either with Gobert or Towns at 5 KA is a nice cog. Or he sees time at the 3 when both are in the ourt with Ant, it's not like he needs to do much but hold up the structure of the defense. I think he'll be a useful player and will help this team solidify the PF slot if any injuries do happen.
Cheers
\m/
:guitar:

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves