Re: College players thread/ Draft Related thread 

Post#61 » by _AIJ_ » Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:34 am

no to Griffin yes to Thabeet.
LETS GO WOLVES!!! 8-)
revprodeji
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8
Location: Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought

Post#62 » by revprodeji » Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:46 pm

C.lupus wrote:I agree that you need to take that into account, too. I'm just saying take into account the talent difference between the pick and his competition on the team as well. To use Beasley again as an example...If we had the #2 pick and Beasley and Mayo were on the board and we already have Jefferson and Love (illogical, I know but it is an example), then I would take Mayo even though there is a dropoff between the two. I wouldn't advocate taking a #9 level talent over a #2.

One other point. With McHale's history of taking the better talent and trading down, I think he would get much less flack for just picking a DeRozan or Thabeet instead of a Griffin. It's the same result but there wouldn't be this everlasting comparison between the two players.

Big different in your analogy is that Beasley has the potential to play the 3. I do not think Love or Griffin do. Not to be a hater, but I just do not see the *stud* in Griffin. I like him ok, but he is not a franchise guy.

My best case scenario for this offseason is to bring Pekovic over somehow. Then combine the assets of the draft picks and maybe a contract and bring in a legit young 1-2-3 (any of them) Not sure who we can get. Maybe a Joe Johnson if they are worried he is leaving? Gilbert Arenas? Mike Conley?

The x-factor could be Monta Ellis. If the Mullen/Nelson rumor is true he could be on the block. He knows Al Jefferson from high school and it could motivate a trade.

Just a thought. If Rubio is not in this draft I do not see a game changer. Maybe Thabeast, but I would rather put all the lil assets together and try for a big one.
http://www.timetoshop.org
Weight management, Sports nutrition and more...
karch34
Lead Assistant
And1: 766

Post#63 » by karch34 » Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:04 pm

Not that I would advocate this, but I think the only way we could bring Pekovic over this offseason is to move Miller for expirings(such as the frequently posted Wally trade). We'd have to be at a point where we could offer him a contract more than the MLE to be competitive with what he's getting now. That only happens if we're under the cap in 2009, otherwise it would have to be 2010.

Pekovic, Al, and Love would make it easier to select a DeRozan over a Griffin or Thabeet.
revprodeji
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Location: Freedom consists not in doing what we like, but in having the right to do what we ought

Post#64 » by revprodeji » Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:41 pm

More than MLE for a rookie who has not played?

btw, is Derozan all hype?
PeeDee
Sixth Man
And1: 78

Post#65 » by PeeDee » Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:54 am

Stephen Curry with another ridiculous game.

30 pts, 13 ast, 3 stl 50% shooting, 5-12 from 3

At what point is this kid considered a top prospect? BTW, he seems to be handling the transition to PG rather well...

*looks at Foye*
the_bruce
Analyst
And1: 57

Post#66 » by the_bruce » Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:34 pm

PeeDee wrote:At what point is this kid considered a top prospect? BTW, he seems to be handling the transition to PG rather well...

When he does it the rest of the season. He's pretty athletically limited compared to NBA players, but the kid is sick he's on my short list of players I'd like to see drafted for the wolves.
hotshotschamp
Rookie
And1: 14

Post#67 » by hotshotschamp » Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:59 am

Blake Griffin tonight

35 pts
21 rebs
5 assists
3 steals
1 block
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,626

Post#68 » by Worm Guts » Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:56 am

I'm gonna be upset if we have to pass on Griffin. Stylistically, I like him more than either Jefferson or Love. He's super athletic, can score in the post and can pass.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,531

Post#69 » by Klomp » Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:03 am

I think Griffin is basically a better version of David Lee. Ironically, I said the same thing about Beasley last year.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
AQuintus
RealGM
And1: 2,458

Post#70 » by AQuintus » Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:56 am

klomp44 wrote:I think Griffin is basically a better version of David Lee. Ironically, I said the same thing about Beasley last year.

So he's Dwight Howard?
horaceworthy
Head Coach
And1: 250

Post#71 » by horaceworthy » Tue Dec 2, 2008 12:39 am

big3_8_19_21 wrote:Having never actually watched Stephen Curry play, I would just like to note that JJ Redick was a monster in college as well.

They're two different animals, though. Curry doesn't have much talent around him, as opposed to Redick, who never lacked a fresh crop of McDonald's All-Americans around him. Curry's got a handle, PG skills, can get to the rim, and better athleticism than J.J. He also comes up massive in big games, whereas Redick had trouble with that later in his career. The similarities pretty much end after their prolific-yet-efficient shooting. I'm biased because I think Curry is the bee's knees, but Curry (in my opinion) is the type of monster that could excel in the NBA, especially with the rules against handchecking and playing against defenses that aren't geared entirely to stop him.
"A while back,'' Cardinal said, "I took a picture of the standings and texted it to Love, just to bust his chops,'' Cardinal said. "He sent me a picture back of a snowdrift.''
Howler21
Senior
And1: 0

Post#72 » by Howler21 » Tue Dec 2, 2008 2:52 am

If we land a top 3 pick I say we try to send it to Memphis for OJ.

I kid....
gmacfan101
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#73 » by gmacfan101 » Wed Dec 3, 2008 2:44 am

What do you guys think of Jonny Flynn of Syracus? Point guard in the mold of Chris Paul.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,531

Post#74 » by Klomp » Wed Dec 3, 2008 3:14 am

Anyone think Damian Johnson will make it in the NBA? He reminds me a lot of Mbah a Moute.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
revprodeji
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#75 » by revprodeji » Thu Dec 4, 2008 3:26 pm

did someone really say Jonny Flynn was a Chris paul clone?
It_Was_Typed
Sixth Man
And1: 12

Post#76 » by It_Was_Typed » Sun Dec 7, 2008 8:41 pm

Not a T'Wolves fan but I thought I chime in:

I was a high school teammate of James Harden, so I know what he is capable of. The Brandon Roy comparisons are on point, as he can do everything on the court and has a high basketball IQ. He does a good job attacking the basket, knocking down jump shots, creating for others, grabbing rebounds and playing defense. I would say his biggest draw back is his average size at the SG position (6'5) and athleticism (it's not great, but it's not terrible either).

The thing that separates him from other prospects is that he's been a winner at every level of competition from high school to AAU to now at Arizona State. I saw first hand how hard of a worker he is. Whatever is asked of him, he will do. If the T'Wolves (or any other franchise for that matter) draft him, they'll be set at SG.
#JuiceIsFree
PeeDee
Sixth Man

Post#77 » by PeeDee » Sun Dec 7, 2008 8:50 pm

revprodeji wrote:did someone really say Jonny Flynn was a Chris paul clone?

No, he said in the mold of, as in fungus.
PeeDee
Sixth Man

Post#78 » by PeeDee » Sun Dec 7, 2008 8:53 pm

Thanks for the scoop, Typed. I'd really, really like to see the Wolves get ahold of this kid. I'm guessing we're going to have to luck out a really high pick to get him.
It_Was_Typed
Sixth Man
And1: 12

Post#79 » by It_Was_Typed » Sun Dec 7, 2008 10:20 pm

Anywhere from picks 2-5 would be my guess if James keeps up his level of play and ASU goes on a decent run in the tourney.
#JuiceIsFree
revprodeji
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#80 » by revprodeji » Mon Dec 8, 2008 3:25 pm

I think orlando and the measurements will hurt or help him more than any of the top prospects at this stage.

We need to keep our eyes on all options. No idea what a new gm will look to do. What role he will see Foye in, etc.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves