ImageImageImage

RUMOR - Timberwolves Coaching Search

Moderators: Domejandro, Worm Guts, Calinks

john2jer
RealGM
And1: 452

Re: RUMOR - Timberwolves Coaching Search 

Post#61 » by john2jer » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:32 pm

I'd do the job for half that price. Sign me up.
basketball royalty wrote:Is Miami considered a big city in the States? I thought guys just went there because of the weather and the bitches?
horaceworthy
Head Coach
And1: 250

Post#62 » by horaceworthy » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:09 pm

So does J.B. coaching the Summer League team mean he has a job here next year, or did he just sign up for the gig so he could get a week in Vegas?
"A while back,'' Cardinal said, "I took a picture of the standings and texted it to Love, just to bust his chops,'' Cardinal said. "He sent me a picture back of a snowdrift.''
Cy32
Lead Assistant
And1: 1

Post#63 » by Cy32 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:56 am

FREDDIE :wink: :D
mnWI
General Manager
And1: 47

Post#64 » by mnWI » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:36 am

horaceworthy wrote:I just saw that as well. Ewing intrigues me, so does Monty Williams. I mostly just don't want a retread. I was getting really annoyed after the draft when local radio and tv kept on mentioning Avery Johnson as the guy that should coach this team. They went with the old "He was a PG, so he'll get through to Flynn/Rubio!" bit, but didn't acknowledge that he has a history of micromanaging his point guards and was one of the guys pushing real hard for the Kidd/Harris trade.

BS. He was the one trying to keep Devin Harris.
mnWI
General Manager

Post#65 » by mnWI » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:39 am

mefromthefuture wrote:
Dr.Krapinsky wrote:bump

Any love for Pat Ewing?

Thorpe is giving him some love in his twitter feed -- calling him smart, optimistic, and not overly controlling

I would love for them to give Patrick Ewing the job, knows how to work with big guys and might help Al on defense I'm all for given Ewing his shot.

Not a very good criteria to use when making a hire. How does he manage his players? How successful are his sideline out of bounds plays coming out of timeouts? Does he understand late game situations? Does he know how to implement an offensive system to maximize the offensive talent on the team? What situational coverages will he use to shut down penetration and cover the pick and roll? All those things are way more important to me than hiring a head coach who can help Al improve defensively. That's the job for a big man or player development assistant.
mnWI
General Manager

Post#66 » by mnWI » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:42 am

Dean Cooper should get the job, but is a couple years away. He's got both the personality and the knowledge to lead a team. He drew up a number of key successful offensive plays in the huddle last season during wins. He worked on the bench with Rudy T in Houston, and knows late game situations as well as any coach in the NBA. People don't realize this, but Rudy T won 8 elimination games in a row during his back to back title run in Houston. Cooper is somebody who knows how to manipulate close games in his favor.
Tirion
Assistant Coach
And1: 290

Post#67 » by Tirion » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:19 pm

lol at the idea of Ewing as headcoach.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#68 » by Devilzsidewalk » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:45 pm

I'd get on board the Dean Cooper train. How come he needs a couple more years though
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Post#69 » by Krapinsky » Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:33 pm

I have a bad feeling it's going to be Mark Jackson. Maybe he'll be a better coach than an announcer.

Odds at 75%?
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
Esohny
RealGM
And1: 339

Post#70 » by Esohny » Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:19 pm

Eeww. I'd feel a lot better about Rambis, Williams, or the Rockets assistant. They've all got coaching experience, and I don't want to punch them when they speak(at least not yet).
SMAC-K wrote:Mayo>>>>Love and that 5th pick
OJ Mayo is one of the best defenders in the league, hes a two way player and hes a great passer and playmaker.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM

Post#71 » by Devilzsidewalk » Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:22 pm

but he's bigger than life! All the best coaches are fantastic bombastic personalities
theGreatRC
RealGM
And1: 4,917

Post#72 » by theGreatRC » Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:37 pm

Hand down, man down
Dysfunctional Wolves fan
funkatron101
General Manager
And1: 991

Post#73 » by funkatron101 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:37 pm

Rambis huh? Last I had read, he was rumored to get a bigger coaching role on the Lakers with Phil's health issues.
Lattimer wrote:Cracks me up that people still think that Wiggins will be involved in the trade for Love. Wolves are out of their mind if they think they are getting Wiggins for Love.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM

Post#74 » by Devilzsidewalk » Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:46 pm

theGreatRC wrote:Hand down, man down

:lol:
Krapinsky
RealGM
And1: 1,929

Post#75 » by Krapinsky » Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:17 pm

Does anyone know anything about Turner? I saw his wikipedia page, doesn't say much. Is he reknown for anything in particular, i.e. Thibadeau w/ defense?

W. Rambis it would be ironic that after firing McHale we hire the guys whose ass McHale whipped on the court, clothesline style.
FinnTheHuman wrote: Your post is just garbage.

NewWolvesOrder wrote:Garbage post, indeed.
mefromthefuture
Rookie
And1: 108

Post#76 » by mefromthefuture » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:42 am

mnWI wrote:
mefromthefuture wrote:
Dr.Krapinsky wrote:bump

Any love for Pat Ewing?

Thorpe is giving him some love in his twitter feed -- calling him smart, optimistic, and not overly controlling

I would love for them to give Patrick Ewing the job, knows how to work with big guys and might help Al on defense I'm all for given Ewing his shot.

Not a very good criteria to use when making a hire. How does he manage his players? How successful are his sideline out of bounds plays coming out of timeouts? Does he understand late game situations? Does he know how to implement an offensive system to maximize the offensive talent on the team? What situational coverages will he use to shut down penetration and cover the pick and roll? All those things are way more important to me than hiring a head coach who can help Al improve defensively. That's the job for a big man or player development assistant.

You or I won't know in till he gets a coaching job or I personally interview him and ask those questions

Well he would be better choice then a re-hire.

And he is teaching Howard how to be a real center, before Ewing came to Magic, Howard only used his power to dunk the ball but now he learn more post up games and hook shot from Ewing.

Howard credits Ewing for that.

Yao Ming

Yao and Ewing worked closely together for three seasons in Houston. Yao credits Ewing and Celtics assistant Tom Thibodeau for helping his develop into one of the NBA's elite big men.

"Patrick was able to teach me a lot," Yao says. "He's been very good for my career."

What about Elston Turner,Mark Jackson how successful are there sideline out of bounds plays coming out of timeouts? Do they understand late game situations? Do they understand late game situations? Do they know how to implement an offensive system to maximize the offensive talent on the team? What situational coverages will they use to shut down penetration and cover the pick and roll?

You can ask those questions about any first time head coach.

I think Patrick Ewing will be a better NBA coach then Kurt Rambis and Mark Jackson when he gets his shot.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,619

Post#77 » by Klomp » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:03 am

David Kahn: "We need to run. And I'm in a coach search where thats a very clear understanding I'm having with everyone we interview. We need to run."

http://www.canishoopus.com/2009/7/14/94 ... ew-w-david
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,619

Post#78 » by Klomp » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:05 am

LAS VEGAS -- The Minnesota Timberwolves' deliberate coaching search will soon move into its next phase with ESPN/ABC analyst Mark Jackson, Los Angeles Lakers assistant coach Kurt Rambis and Houston Rockets assistant coach Elston Turner expected to progress to the deciding round of interviews, according to NBA coaching sources.

There might be others who advance -- it's believed that Dallas Mavericks assistant coach Terry Stotts could also be invited back for a second interview -- but the one certainty known Monday, according to one source familiar with the process, is that the next round will feature a much smaller number than the first.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4325791
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM

Post#79 » by Devilzsidewalk » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:15 pm

Elston Turner, nice name
mnWI
General Manager

Post#80 » by mnWI » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:25 am

mefromthefuture wrote:
mnWI wrote:
mefromthefuture wrote:

You or I won't know in till he gets a coaching job or I personally interview him and ask those questions

Well he would be better choice then a re-hire.

And he is teaching Howard how to be a real center, before Ewing came to Magic, Howard only used his power to dunk the ball but now he learn more post up games and hook shot from Ewing.

Howard credits Ewing for that.

Yao Ming

Yao and Ewing worked closely together for three seasons in Houston. Yao credits Ewing and Celtics assistant Tom Thibodeau for helping his develop into one of the NBA's elite big men.

"Patrick was able to teach me a lot," Yao says. "He's been very good for my career."

What about Elston Turner,Mark Jackson how successful are there sideline out of bounds plays coming out of timeouts? Do they understand late game situations? Do they understand late game situations? Do they know how to implement an offensive system to maximize the offensive talent on the team? What situational coverages will they use to shut down penetration and cover the pick and roll?

You can ask those questions about any first time head coach.

I think Patrick Ewing will be a better NBA coach then Kurt Rambis and Mark Jackson when he gets his shot.

I can ask those questions, and I have a much better job at evaluating those things than you or anyone on this board. His out of timeout plays need a lot of work. Not saying he will be a bad head coach. But let's stop looking at the head coaching spot like it's a player develop coach. Demeanor, adjustments, and strategy are a lot more important for any head coach than developing any single player. You have a great criteria for hiring a 3rd assistant.

Return to Minnesota Timberwolves